Newts are for n00bs (MY arabian journal)

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I felt that a forum was missing its daily dosage of aquarium-- and we needed a better aquarium. Much better >:D

So last week I decided I was fed up with the way my aquarium looked, and the design was going nowhere fast. So, I bought some new plants last weekend, and prepped to stage a massive overhaul (today). All in all, I have to say things went swimmingly :)

First off, I'll say that my tank was a mess :( I went back to Hawaii for an entire month after the earthquake here in Japan, and a month of neglect is hard to come back from. Algae, was everywhere, the plants I had left floating at the top had gone bonkers, and everything else was suffering underneath its shadow.

Pretty yes, but also downright unruly! You can see I really let things go, because EVERYTHING is growing out of the water and putting out "terrestrial foliage" (most aquarium plants are amphibious, and given the chance, will send out waxy-leaved growth meant for above-water life. Air has more CO2 than water, making amphibious life the best in the wild). Most of the times we don't let plants grow up and out of the water.

So, it's time to dig in. First thing is to assemble the tools of the trade! >:D

So much German-crafted stainless steel beauty :D

From right to left... Tooth brushes, for scrubbing (pretty self-explanatory). ADA pro pick, meant for scraping algae off wood and rocks. 2 types of ADA tweezers, the dainty and precise pincettes, and the tough hooked pro-tweezers. Different plants and areas call for one or the other, but their combined work solidly affixes just about any plant into the substrate. ADA Sand leveler, meant for... leveling sand, as well as coming in handy for a multitude of subtle miscellaneous adjustments. ADA Glass scraper, it has a sharp razer that works like nothing else for cleaning the glass. I really like ADA's hooked Scizors, subtle, sharp, gentle to plants, and capable of reaching any part of the tank. Finally a net-- obviously useful for scooping out fish, but also debris and plant clippings.

So, the first steps were to empty the tank, and get my rocks/plants together and ready for use.

So for this layout I decided to give Wabi-Kusa a shot. I knew I wanted a "high tech" layout with lots of fast growing stem plants. I haven't tried Wabi Kusa, so I decided to give them a shot (in addition to using that massive wad from earlier. There are 4 of them in there.

So what is a Wabi-Kusa (詫び草)? Well first of off, it's another product by ADA (Aqua Design Amano). Basically, it's a ball of terrestrially cultivated aquarium plants that have grown to tightly attach themselves to a core ball. This ball sinks, and also has nutrients and is a great cultivation root. Wabi-kusa is meant to also be used by beginners, and makes things incredibly simple. I didn't even need my tweezers! just plop in the plants and be ready to go. "Wabi" comes from "wabi-sabi," a Japanese aesthetic sense that finds beauty in imperfection-- basically "beauty of chaos/nature" or "beauty with age," (sabi means "to rust"). "Kusa" means weeds, and it certainly gives you a lot of weeds!

I'm not really familiar with the terrestrial foliage of many aquarium plants, but I could recognize Ludiwigia arcuata, Cardamine lyrata, Riccia fluitons, Rotala rotundifolia, Rotala rotundifolia "green", and a few stems of Rotala najenshan. There are some other plants I couldn't recognize (at least 1 other species of Ludwigia, and another Rotala and others) but... heck, that's the fun of Wabi-kusa-- you're not quite sure what you're getting, so you really feel the "chaos of nature"!

So, I brought in some awesome rocks I've collected and planted the plants. In addition to the the Wabi-kusa, I stuck in that mass of plants in the fore-midground, as well as some moss rocks.

I had some beautiful Java moss rocks left from my old layout. Even if all things go to shit, you can be sure that Java moss will pull through for you. Beautiful growth here. Once thought to be Vesicularia Dubyana (now commonly known as "Singapore Moss"), Java moss is actually a Taxiphyllum sp., specifically Taxiphyllum Barnieri. Who would have known?? (k, well you can't know really, without a some expertise in bryophytes and a microscope...). Anyway, moss is awesome. It adds something special to almost every layout. :D

That mess of plants is in. I just through a bunch of dirt on it and sifted it until the it somewhat fell through the leaves and over the roots. Even if leaves are buried, in time they will push themselves through the dirt and right themselves. Mostly it's a Hydrocotyle sp., "Penny Wort," it's got beautiful round leaves and makes an ideal mid-foreground plant. There's also a bunch of Rotala rotundifolia "green" and Rotala rotundifolia mixed in. Maybe some Hemianthus callitrichoides too (though I doubt such a small plant will come through that mess).

And there it is with everything in! All that's left is to hook up the equipment and fill her up!

Now let's talk about some more fun stuff-- specs/equipment! >:D

First the lighting! ADA's Solar II is a sleek and sexy pendant light that houses 2 powerful 36 Watt Power Compact Florescent bulbs. That's a bit "low" lighting for a tank of this size, but I prefer not to "blast" the tank. The higher power you lights are, the more you have to be on top of your CO2/Dosage game to keep things in balance. Plus, the nice thing about having a hanging pendant light is you can adjust the strength by raising or lowering the light. I lowered the light quite a bit because of the high growth rates of my current plants.

Next, I'll take you "under the hood" of my baby. There's a large CO2 canister, and the filter. I use an Eheim 2213 Canister filter.

Canister filters are ideal for the planted tank, providing an external source of bio and mechanical filtration. The great thing about canister filters is that the outflow can be fed back well under the water surface (or adjusted above the water surface). While most tanks want "ripples"/"bubbles" to oxygenate the water, planted tanks are just the opposite. You want as little breaking of the surface as possible, ie. as little aeration as possible. Why you ask? To preserve CO2. Ever shake a soda bottle? Well, you know that CO2 does not like staying in water-- but plants need a high saturation of CO2 in the water in order to perform photosynthesis efficiently. An underwater outflow that doesn't break the water helps preserve CO2 saturation, while the photosynthesis of the plants does more than enough to oxygenate the water to keep the fish healthy and happy.

Water doesn't contain enough CO2 to keep plants healthy and happy. In nature, most plants have some above-water growth to absorb CO2 from the air, or else live in areas with rapid water movement (and thus continuous CO2 replenishment, even at low levels). In the closed confines of an aquarium, man must fertilize CO2 to keep the water well saturated with CO2 for the plants to use. Of course the CO2 canister is equipped to adjust the flow of CO2 into the aquarium. It's also attached to a timer (along with the lights), so that the lights and CO2 will automatically come on and off every day, controlling the photo period for the plants (plants can only maintain their photosynthesis at top efficiency for certain periods. Usually, 6-8 hours is ideal, but even less could be used). Longer light periods will invite algae... :S

Moving on with the CO2 equipment...

A Glass Bubble counter helps gauge the rate of CO2 flow... It also looks sexy...

The CO2 is fed through a glass CO2 Diffuser into the Aquarium. The diffuser breaks the CO2 into tiny bubbles, maximizing its surface area to enhance its absorption into the water.

More sexy looking glass. This glass PH checker gives an easy visual cue to the hardness/softness of the water. Right now, it looks to be really hard (but hey, right out of the tap). Hopefully, the CO2 and substrate will bring that down soon :D (slightly acidic is ideal for most plants, meaning you want a yellowish-green color, not blue).

Stainless steel in and outflow pipes finish this tour through the equipment. This outflow's nozzle gives the filter a very high-powered fast flow. While a fast flow can be disruptive, used effectively, it is a great asset to the tank's balance. A fast flow blast CO2 and Oxygen around the tank, making sure these vital gasses are well distributed throughout the tank. It also reduces the amount of detritus (dead leaves, fish poo, uneaten fish food, shrimp shells, etc.) from getting caught in-between plant leaves, which can get in the way of photosynthesis. Shrimp and algae-eating fish also help to clear up clog, kicking debris into the flow to get sucked up by the filter, in addition to their algae-eating duties. A fast flow also forces fish to work harder, keeping them from getting fat and lazy xD

'n there she is folks! Hope you enjoyed this little tour of the set up. :)

I'll post more pics as the water clears :D

That's very, very awesome. It's one thing to look at a tank and just say "Oh, that looks pretty," but seeing the thought process (and manual process) behind it definitely makes it way more interesting!

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
For growing plants, do they need a specific type of soil to grow in or is it just any old dirt?

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
For growing plants, do they need a specific type of soil to grow in or is it just any old dirt?
There are people who do low-tech setups with regular dirt, but usually one uses an aquarium soil made for planted aquariums. These are nutrient rich and have very controlled content-- you aren't bringing in any unknown agents that could cause harm to your fish or plants. A good aquarium soil will also clear quickly (doesn't leave the water dirty), doesn't pack too tight (stays aerated and lets the roots grow in easily), and is gentle on both plant roots and bottom feeder mouths (nothing too sharp). I'm using ADA's Aquasoil Amazon.

Wow. I never realized how much planning and hard work goes into making an aquarium. I'm quite impressed, and the result is beautiful!
Thanks! Here are some photos of some of my past aquariums:

Plants and rocks are lame! Newts and shrimp are better!!!!

LOL jk. Though I do miss my boyfriend's old topic, I'm glad to see an aquarium topic up again :) Your aquarium is very aesthetically pleasing, and it's really interesting to see the process behind making it.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
I actually have a lot of shrimp, Caridina multidentata (formerly japonica), called Yamato numa Ebi (Japanese Swamp Shrimp) in Japan.

In the US/Canada/Internationally, they're called Amano Shrimp.

The name comes from Amano Takashi, the man who introduced the shrimp to the hobby and is the president of ADA (Aqua Design Amano).

While the "filter feeding" shrimp Morm likes are suitable for planted tanks, they don't really do anything, so we generally stick to the algae-eating genuses Caridina and Neocaridina. Even these two genus belong to the same family though Atyidae.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
Water's crystal now :D (after 1 day)

Cardinals I added, there's an Amano Shrimp in there too :D

Usually one expects "air" leaves to wilt and melt away under water, but these plants look so healthy and growing gangbuster even with their "air" leaves. On almost all the stems of the plants, I already see "aquatic" shoots/leaves starting to form-- after just 1-2 days! I have to say that the wabi-kusa products ADA has made is really impressive.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
@Soul-Dew-- it'll usually take 3 months to reach a "final" stage of maturity though

@Hipmonlee-- Re-designing happens rarely due to the aforementioned minimal 3 months needed to reach a design's "completion," but often I'll re-use the same fish if I have good specimens (rather, I'll think of a re-design that works with them). If I absolutely want to do something completely different with different fish, I'll donate the fish back to a local aquarium store.

Collecting fish from a planted tank is actually relatively easy. You increase the CO2 output by about 20%, and the fish will become a bit sluggish and hug the surface for air-- you then net them out, put them in the bucket, and 10 minutes later, they're swimming naturally again.

Amano Shrimp on the other hand, you drop the water level to about 5 inches and net them out. Shrimp are also easy to collect because they can survive out of water for quite long, so you don't have to worry too much about lowering the water to get them.

In a bigger aquarium, these would be harder, but in only 60cm x 45cm x 45cm, it's still quite manageable.

mingot

free agent
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I should post a picture of my 4 year olds aquarium just to make you cry.

About how bad things can be.

Nastyjungle

JACKED and sassy
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
I think your set-ups are downright beautiful, Chou!
While I really do enjoy the animal life of an aquarium, my own gardens has given me a pretty big soft spot for plants. I, too, had no idea so much work went into making a aquarium suited for both fauna and fish (the most experience I have is a little 2 gallon with a couple of 50 cent fishes, and a plastic treasure chest, lol).

How much money goes into making and maintaining one of these set-ups? It looks like it could get quite costly!
Oh, and I notice that most of your fishes are rather small, but do they ever have trouble navigating the tanks that are heavily plant populated? I imagine a bigger fish might be unfortunate, get caught and die.

Anyways, gorgeous stuff. I look forward to more!

Chou Toshio

Over9000
Nasty-- Just as you say, it can cost a pretty penny. I'd estimate that my current set up is probably worth close to $2000, and that's not even including the cost of tools aquarium tools (or photography equipment xD).

That said, it is possible to make cheaper set ups too.

This is a layout I made with a $20 custom tank I ordered from a local pet store, common java moss and rocks from my backyard, normal aquarium white sand and feeder guppies. The lighting is a normal desk lamp, and I don't use CO2. It cost me like $40 total probably... maybe less. I did this one in highschool :D

When it comes to aquascaping on a budget, it's all about getting creative with the available materials.

Aquascaping at a "higher" level can be very expensive of course. :/

That said, a lot of the cost here is because I like all the prettiest goods and equipment with all the bells and whistles. If all you care about is having a beautiful aquarium INSIDE the aquarium, there are cheaper alternatives to almost all the equipment I use that'll work just fine (it'll still be expensive all together though).

I have ADA shiny bling everything. I even use premium ADA fish food. :O

Chou Toshio

Over9000
Bubbles bubbles bubbles

The raw power of photosynthesis before your eyes >:D

Yup, those bubbles are pure oxygen made by the plants. "Pearls" form on the plants as the day goes on-- the water becomes so over-saturated with oxygen from photosynthesis, that excess oxygen turns into gas and clings to plant leaves.

cool pictures, man. never understood the obsession with fish tanks though--seems like another job to me, like sweeping as a hobby

Chou Toshio

Over9000
Just this one right now (I have one of the mini's--and of ADA's higher grade glass too!--but haven't gotten around to setting it up. I think it will be all wabikusa with minimal hardscape).

aquascaping is addicting .I have 6 tanks i believe...and a few puny little things for my goldfish research shit..ill post picz tommorow. anyway chou your work on your tanks is great. Do you keep guppies at the present?
I have these awesome luminous guppies..i forget the proper name. but they are kinda kewl to watch.
are u planning to add a roof or cover to your aquarium?

Congrats Chou, your aquarium looks amazing :]

I wish I had that ammount of patience you have to set everything up. It shows you're really passionate about it!

Looking forward to new pics!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)