VGC '11 World Championships - San Diego, US - August 14th - WON BY BlueCookies & kamz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Is there a reason that it seems kind of like Korean's got screwed? :x
Because it's their first year and its being developed. The first year that the US was in this (VGS 2008) was also two regionals with the top cut from each going to Worlds.

Anyone know if Americas Best Value Inn is any good? That seems to be the cheapest nearby place.
I stayed there in 2008, and i am staying there again this year. Dirt cheap rates.

The place is alright - no hilton for sure. And the the local homeless mission is nearby, and the neighborhood is not the best, but other than that it is not bad.

The free breakfast room is about 4 feet wide.

Other than that - nothing else to say.

Also, does anyone have a list of good things/places/attractions to visit while in San Diego? I've googled some but wanted to hear if anyone had any recommendations.

Near the bay there's a nice little part of San Diego called Seaport Village. It has some decent restaurants (Wait who eats anything other than In-N-Out Burger when in Cali? o.O) and is a nice atmosphere, but it's not like you can spend the day there. There's a lighthouse about 5 or so miles form the main of San Diego, but I doubt you'll get there unless you enjoy walking. There's some ship museums and SeaWorld San Diego, and yeah, that's what I remember was in San Diego :D

I think we need to make real life karaoke happen this time.
Yeah...for the health of everybody, i will not be singing.
I know at nationals most of the Pokegym staff had a karaoke night.

Edit - this is how you make your 500th post. By admitting you suck at singing.

I was excited about laser tag until I realized it wouldn't allow me to fulfill my e-fantasy of shooting several Smogon users in the head since there's no vest shot register thinger up there :(

That and karaoke though. Let's make it happen. Though without skarm there how can we do a duet of dancing queen :(

Dozz

Has anyone in this family ever seen a chicken?
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Though without skarm there how can we do a duet of dancing queen :(
Look, if it's the high notes you need, I am more than willing to offer my *cough* beautiful *cough* falsetto vocals to anyone who needs them in a duet.

Dozz

Has anyone in this family ever seen a chicken?
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
You are correct, I have not. Not a high notes man? That offer still stands for anyone else who needs such assistance.

Also, does anyone know about the parking situation down there? Any place we can park for free that's walkable to the hotel?

I did a bit of research about this, since I'll be driving there. If you want to park at the hotel, it's $27 a day/night. ( =/ ) There are street meters though that only charge from 8am -6pm Monday through Saturday. It's probably a $1 an hour for those.

What I'll probably end up doing is get there around three(after picking up a powerful trainer from the airport), then park on the street for some of the day(s). They have pre-paid meter cards you can buy iirc, so you don't feed the meter beasts for time you aren't parked. That way when we go to the beach/In n out/etc you aren't wasting money.

As for hotel, proximity, no clue. =( The convention center is really close so there will probably be little/no problem with parking.

Expert Evan

every battle has a smell!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Since I'll be staying with family in the area, our intentions is to be dropped off at the hotel as we'll try to get there early enough to at least guarantee us a spot in the 512 masters. Last thing I want is to get there and find out the limit exceeded if that's to happen.

Havak

I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sadly, my failure to win the 1-Up Events National Finals means I cannot attend Worlds this year. Hopefully next time, good luck guys! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)