Want to write for The Smog? (Yes, you do!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an idea typed up about abilities that I think logic says certain Pokemon should get. It's more of a humorous article than anything, and I'm open to lengthening/shortening it, but nevertheless, if anyone sees any use for it, I have it. Also, if anyone wants a random passerby to write an article about anything (I enjoy writing, and have a little experience) I'm available. Nothing else to do during the summer.

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Congratulations! Through an inter-dimensional time portal, your idea has been magicked back about a year, where we have written this article in issue #7!

http://www.smogon.com/smog/issue7/abilities

Enjoy!

EDIT (just so i don't come off as a complete jerk): We did a version of this article in Generation 4, and while we've considered doing it again for Generation 5, we currently have no plans to revive this article topic. Thanks for the submission, though, and feel free to send me any article ideas you may have!

Alright, thinking back, I should have checked the previous articles. I didn't think of doing that for whatever reason.

How about something that has to do with why Pokemon were given abilities? (I know, abilities, but that's my mindset right now.) Example: Clear Body... You have the Regis (baring Gigas) Metagross, Klinklang, and Tentacruel. If Clear Body where to be defined by the metallic and hard sort of vibe the others give it, why would it be given to a jellyfish?

Also, if it hasn't been mentioned, a fifth generation bug-type analysis would be pretty cool (mentioning Yanmega, Volcarona, Venomoth, Heracross, Scizor, ect... How bugs have kind of reached a pinnacle of success) This is just my opinion on the matter.

Again, this is an opinion of mine, but something could be written about how the massive amount of usable Pokemon allows many good ones to remain 'undiscovered'. (Encourage people to be creative?)

Just base-line ideas for some articles.

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned in the threads already (I know it isn't in published issues of the Smog), but I'm kinda interested in making a list of reasons why people hate (or should hate) Game Freak. Some of the reasons I have so far include: They make useless Pokemon, they made Gary so annoying (he waits for you in Silph Co., despite the fact that there's a freaking invasion by Team Rocket going on...), they made weird and annoying characters (ex. Looker and Trick Master), and they prevent Pokemon from being awesome in one way or another.

Howsabout an article that gives some tips on laddering (5th gen PO)? For instance, using team preview to your advantage, identifying threats, making a game plan, etc. It can include some strategic shit like how to handle the early game, feel out your opponents playstyle, and weigh risk vs. reward in prediction. And there is also the psychological aspect of it like managing tilts and whatnot. I feel qualified to write it up if it's a worthwhile idea.

religiousjedi

Old man.
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
If needed, I wouldn't mind writing about featured RMT or type analysis. Not sure what the requirements are, but a marriage between a hobby and intended major sounds good!

These are just my opinions on some ideas suggested.
I am in no way affiliated with the Smog. (Though I'd like to be in the near future)

Howsabout an article that gives some tips on laddering (5th gen PO)? For instance, using team preview to your advantage, identifying threats, making a game plan, etc. It can include some strategic shit like how to handle the early game, feel out your opponents playstyle, and weigh risk vs. reward in prediction. And there is also the psychological aspect of it like managing tilts and whatnot. I feel qualified to write it up if it's a worthwhile idea.
I like this idea, but I feel it's a bit too broad. These are things every battler should know about. Although, I don't know if there is an extensive compilation of these ideas yet... It could be the premier noob article.

Alright, thinking back, I should have checked the previous articles. I didn't think of doing that for whatever reason.

1.) How about something that has to do with why Pokemon were given abilities? (I know, abilities, but that's my mindset right now.) Example: Clear Body... You have the Regis (baring Gigas) Metagross, Klinklang, and Tentacruel. If Clear Body where to be defined by the metallic and hard sort of vibe the others give it, why would it be given to a jellyfish?

2.) Also, if it hasn't been mentioned, a fifth generation bug-type analysis would be pretty cool (mentioning Yanmega, Volcarona, Venomoth, Heracross, Scizor, ect... How bugs have kind of reached a pinnacle of success) This is just my opinion on the matter.

3.) Again, this is an opinion of mine, but something could be written about how the massive amount of usable Pokemon allows many good ones to remain 'undiscovered'. (Encourage people to be creative?)

Just base-line ideas for some articles.
Idea 1: I feel quite certain that there is already one or more "Pokelogic" articles (if there aren't, it'd be a shame). I could see this fitting in as an installment in the series.

Idea 2: Type analyses would be great. I can think of no reason anyone would object.

Idea 3: This could be spun as either a "So Bad, They're Good" article or just a "Diamonds in the Rough" thing. The difference between the two being the former would feature Pokemon that work well in OU/UU because they're unexpected, while the latter is about Pokemon that are NU/RU only because either no one has thought of using them in a creative/unique way or people are just plain unaware of the Pokemon's capacity.

<stuff about Game Freak>
Great idea for a joke article "Why You Should Hate Game Freak" Just be amusingly enraged (tongue planted firmly in-cheek) throughout the article and end it with a positive spin.

One of the things I most want to see in the smog is an in-depth Warstory. When I was new to competitive battling, I got to ~1300 on the shoddy ladder. That's quite respectable. However, every time I ran into a top player (>1500 rating) I would lose and have no idea why. I make no obviously bad moves, I don't lose horribly, and yet my opponents are always in control and win easily. since then I've gotten better at the game; now quite often I'm the one who's doling out the losses. However, every now and then I still run into better players and get crushed without really knowing why.

I think such a game, well annotated, makes for excellent reading. Easy way to get the material would be to match up some decent player on ladder (say, 1300 on PO ladder) with a top player like Earthworm or Gouki or panamaxis. Chances are the top player wins without much effort. The game can then be turned into a warstory. It might not be a good battle, but it would be very instructive.
I talked to reachzero on PO and he said he'd be interested in writing just such an article. Please get him to do it !!!

@Temperantia: Yeah, it would be tailored more to people who suck, which seems to be a fairly large population judging from the forums.

@Temperatina: I was going to make it like that anyway, so don't worry! I'll start on it right now, just in case someone from the Smog likes it and approves it.

And I agree about the warstory. I think it could also give some ideas to people if the teams have some creative parts to them, too...just saying...

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
If you have any current concerns, please move them to the new thread. It has more concrete Guidelines, and the benefit of being made in 2011!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)