Magikarp (Analysis) GP 0/2

a fairy

is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Community Leader
qc checks: diana, darkamber8828

Magikarp

[Overview]
<p>You should really only be using Magikarp if you're being dared to. Everyone has known that this is a terrible Pokemon since they were six and got swindled into buying it for 500 dollars, so I suspect you know what you're getting yourself into--playing matches 5-6 from the start.</p>

[SET]
name: Choice Band
move 1: Bounce
move 2: Flail
move 3: Tackle
move 4: Splash
item: Choice Band
ability: Swift Swim
nature: Adamant
evs: 116 HP / 196 Atk / 196 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>This is all that Magikarp can ever hope to do. Bounce is the main attack on the set, and spamming it is probably Magikarp's best bet at hitting something. Under most circumstances, two-turn attacks are frowned upon, as they give the opponent a turn to react. This is an exception for two reasons. The first is that with Magikarp's whopping Attack stat of 16, factoring in Choice Band the opponent isn't going to need to switch to tank the incoming Bounce, and the second is that Magikarp has no better moves. Flail should be used if Magikarp is at 3 HP or less, only then will Flail have a higher Base Power than Bounce. Still, even at 1 HP, Flail will only have 150 BP, so don't expect (m)any KOs.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p>This set is meant for "late-game sweeping", after all of its "counters" are gone. To be clear, a winning message should have already been seen before sending Magikarp out. Still, there are better Pokemon than others to pair alongside Magikarp... Diglett and Magnemite can remove the Rock and Steel-types that resist Magikarp's attacks, respectively.</p>

[Other Options]
<p>Try using Rare Candies so you can evolve it into a Gyarados? There is nothing else you can do.</p>

[Checks and Counters]
<p>Really...?</p>[/QUOTE]

credit to the write-up to em

firecape

This is the end...
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Joke analyses aren't really encouraged and the good ones just happen; no.

If this is actually viable in little cup, LC mods feel free to move it back, but I doubt it.

edit: Ok, all Pokemon that are eligible for play in LC will need an analysis, but do not make them joke analyses as they are often not funny. Write this up as you would for a Pokemon that sucks and is severely outclassed (because it does and it is).

um - no mention of swift swim anywhere? I know that Magikrap is just that but I mean with a Jolly nature it hits 19 Speed / 38 in Rain which makes it tied for the fastest user of swift swim in LC (with Buizel). Just my two cents; can't really do much anyways.

EDIT: I'm honestly not sure that Magikarp can learn those moves at level 5. I'm pretty sure it can't be bred moves (like Caterpie / Weedle / Wurmple etc.) but Bounce is a tutor move so I think that only Splash and Bounce can be listed on the set.

nvm

Diana

This isn't even my final form
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Hm, yeah mention Swift Swim in Additional Comments but keep Adamant. You still reach 36 Speed and getting that extra point in Attack is pretty important (it's still 11 but it's something)

a fairy

is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Community Leader
EDIT: I'm honestly not sure that Magikarp can learn those moves at level 5. I'm pretty sure it can't be bred moves (like Caterpie / Weedle / Wurmple etc.) but Bounce is a tutor move so I think that only Splash and Bounce can be listed on the set.
can someone confirm?

edit: i've added swift swim to Additional Comments

Diana

This isn't even my final form
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
It can be bred Tackle and Flail from a male Magikarp that learned it from level up. It has no egg moves but it can certainly be bred level-up moves like any Pokemon.

Edit: Mention that Rock- and Steel-types are especially dangerous in the Checks and Counters section and then

[QC 1/2]

a fairy

Community Leader
Actually, it gets Bounce in Gen 5 via Dream World.

But if everyone thinks Swift Swim is better, I'll change it

Btw the [i'm not done working on this] is a little redundant if it's not ready for GP yet then you should switch to copyediting but leave it as QC 2/2

a fairy

Community Leader
It's also a Move Tutor move from Generation Four, so I'll be changing the ability to Swift Swim. As Aroma-X said, it's better.

I've been asked to push this through GP... I don't really like joke analyses and I know Vader doesn't so I'm not really sure what to do. I tried to make a semi-silly writeup while attempting to still convey everything I thought was important, but if it needs more content/less silly just tell me and I'll change it.

Amateur GP Check
Add
Remove
Comments

[Overview]
<p>You should really only be using Magikarp if you're being dared to. Everyone has known that its terrible Pokemon since they were six and got swindled into buying it for 500 dollars, so I suspect you know what you're getting yourself into--playing matches 5-6 from the start.</p>

[SET]
evs: 116 HP / 196 Atk Attack / 196 Spe Speed

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>This is all that Magikarp can ever hope to do. Bounce is the main attack on the set, and spamming it is probably Magikarp's best bet at hitting something you may as well just spam it. Under most circumstances, two-turn attacks are generally frowned upon, as they give your opponent a turn to react, but this is an exception for two reasons. The first is that with Magikarp's whopping Attack stat of 16, [add comma] (factoring in Choice Band), the opponent isn't going to need to switch to tank the incoming Bounce, and the second is that Magikarp has no better moves nothing better to use anyways. Flail should be used if Magikarp is at 3 HP or less, since as then Flail will then have a higher Base Power than Bounce. Still, even at 1 HP, Flail will only have 150 BP, so don't expect (m)any KOes.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p>This set is meant for "late-game sweeping", after all of its "counters" are gone. To be clear, a winning message should have already been seen before sending Magikarp out And I'm going to be clear, by that I mean you should already have seen a win message before considering sending this thing out. Still, there are better Pokemon than others to pair alongside Magikarp - Diglett and Magnemite can remove the Rock and Steel-types that resist Magikarp's attacks, respectively.</p>

[Other Options]
<p>Try using Rare Candies so you can evolve it into a Gyarados? I mean, I'd list some more moves for Magikarp to use, but I think the inclusion of Splash on the above set pretty much says it all. (um... is this supposed to be serious or a joke? If it's the former remove the second sentence. If it's the latter, make it so there's no first person)</p>

[Checks and Counters]
<p>Really...?</p> (awesome I coined that sentence)[/QUOTE]

Lemonade

WOOPAGGING
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
am check
red remove
blue add

[Overview]
<p>You should really only be using Magikarp if you're being dared to. Everyone has known that this is a its terrible Pokemon since they were six and got swindled into buying it for 500 dollars, so I suspect you know what you're getting yourself into--playing matches 5-6 from the start.</p>

[SET]
evs: 116 HP / 196 Atk / 196 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>This is all that Magikarp can ever hope to do. Bounce is the main attack on the set, and spamming it is probably Magikarp's best bet at hitting something. Under most circumstances, two-turn attacks are generally [redundant] frowned upon, as they give the your opponent a turn to react,. but This is an exception for two reasons. The first is that with Magikarp's whopping 16 Attack (Choice band factored in), the opponent doesn't need to switch to tank the incoming Bounce. The second is that Magikarp has no better moves. The first is that with Magikarp's whopping Attack stat of 16, factoring in Choice Band the opponent isn't going to need to switch to tank the incoming Bounce, and the second is that Magikarp has no better moves. Flail should be used if Magikarp is at 3 HP or less, since only then will Flail will then have a higher Base Power than Bounce. Still, even at 1 HP, Flail will only have 150 BP, so don't expect (m)any KOs.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p>This set is meant for "late-game sweeping", after all of its "counters" are gone. To be clear, a winning message should have already been seen before sending Magikarp out. Still, there are better Pokemon than others to pair alongside Magikarp... Diglett and Magnemite can remove the Rock and Steel-types that resist Magikarp's attacks, respectively.</p>

[Other Options]
<p>Try using Rare Candies so you can evolve it into a Gyarados? There is nothing else you can do.</p>

[Checks and Counters]
<p>Really...?</p>[/QUOTE]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)