2011 Music

His Eminence Lord Poppington II

proverb:the fish who eats most dies still too
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

new bomb the music industry! album came out a couple days ago. as always i didn't really like it at first, then after about 5 listens it really grew on me and now i love it. i don't think it's necessarily as good as scambles, but it's definitely a keeper... but then again i hated scrambles when it first came out and it ended up being my favorite btmi! album. hmmmm definitely a grower.

available for free (along with btmi!'s entire back catalog) here: http://quoteunquoterecords.com/qur051.htm

they're my favorite band so i somewhat biasedly strongly recommend. not for everyone i guess but its free,what are you gonna do ask for your money back?
this is a good album! i had completely forgotten about btmi from when i had heard them about 2 years ago.

I just heard RHCP's The Adventures of Raindance Maggie for the first time, and thought it didn't quite impress me yet, I'm quite sure their new album I'm With You is going to be something good. Really looking forward to it.

got around to giving Symphony X - Iconoclast a couple of listens, and although it isn't a million times better than Paradise Lost as most people had said everywhere, it does certainly manage to measure up really well to it, and is in fact one of the best albums of the year so far, and has even been helping me to get back into and rediscover this band's other stuff when I had thought I no longer really liked them all that much anymore. can certainly see why it was #4 on rym for 2011 two weeks ago

Most of you guys look like your music is out of my interest group but..

For rap fans and those sick of hearing the same weak mainstream contemporary rap/hip-hop songs with weak messages all the time. Listen to Drake- Headlines. Drake is keepin it real like how the OG's wanted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSs3fjmWSCU
Uhmm, Drake is probably the face of mainstream contemporary rap. And although the song is lyrically sound, the message is weak.

Uhmm, Drake is probably the face of mainstream contemporary rap. And although the song is lyrically sound, the message is weak.
He's the face cause the others are garbage. I admit message isnt too strong but its rare to find any that doesnt involve someone talkin bout sex, money, etc etc all the time.. songs need more heart. At least some songs that Drake has implicts emotion and stress. Need more songs like from NaS..

new Moonsorrow is top 5 material on my 2011 list so far as well, it's of about the same quality as Kivenkantaja if not even slightly better by a margin. these guys sure know even how to bring winter into the middle of summer with their music

He's the face cause the others are garbage. I admit message isnt too strong but its rare to find any that doesnt involve someone talkin bout sex, money, etc etc all the time.. songs need more heart. At least some songs that Drake has implicts emotion and stress. Need more songs like from NaS..
lupe fiasco and blu are two rappers that i really, really like -- lupe incorporates a lot of social commentary in his lyrics and i would say blu does too at times, but i haven't been listening to blu as long as i've been listening to lupe so i'm not sure.

what i am sure about though is that both artists seem to be what you're looking for. lotta heart in both these guys (though i'd steer clear of lupe's latest album) and it's not all sex and money with them. they're both pretty positive besides. i recommend the album 'the cool' by lupe fiasco and 'below the heavens' by blu & exile. blu has a pretty cool homage to nas in that album in the song 'the world is (below the heavens).' i highly recommend both albums.

Here's a newly released Nas song. It's pretty good. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yRx0Q-o49g
Nice, can't wait tho for his album this year.

lupe fiasco and blu are two rappers that i really, really like -- lupe incorporates a lot of social commentary in his lyrics and i would say blu does too at times, but i haven't been listening to blu as long as i've been listening to lupe so i'm not sure..
I respect Lupe, but never got really into listening to him at a regular basis. Blu, I've heard but never got chance to listen because he isn't too out there and I get lazy finding potential good artists. I just wish hip hop would get out of the club funk tho.. shit is killin hip hop even tho it does get my dick juice flowing :)

Digital release of Beirut's The Rip Tide with pre-order of CD. Need I say more?
The album feels like their most complete in general and overall sounds more urban than their other albums which took you on nostalgia trips to other countries. Some songs are obvious throw backs to Zach's electronic project March of the Zapotec and there is a lot of piano (But I welcome it).

finally listened to the entirety of the new grooms album, prom, last night. i am floored. listened to it the whole way through, twice, and i'm back to it now. grooms is easily one of my favorite bands and i highly recommend prom to open-minded listeners. here is their bandcamp where you can stream select tracks from both of their albums. i guess i'd recommend it if you like sonic youth and the smiths -- i wish i could describe them better but i always have a hard time writing about music. my recommendation is to give them a try out for yourself and decide from there.

also really good is the latest by the antlers, burst apart. a little more electronic and a little less painfully obvious lyrically than hospice. seems to be a great album after one listen, at least -- i would definitely check this out if you enjoyed their previous album.

- Jay-Z & Kanye's collaborative album, Watch the Throne, drops upcoming Monday on iTunes. Anyone else pumped for that one? "HAM" was kinda horrible/awesome at the same time, but "Otis" was great. Really anticipating the tracks with Frank Ocean, and finally "That's My Bitch" in CDQ :heart:

- Lights' second album titled Siberia is being released October 4th. First song released was "Everybody Breaks a Glass" which features production from Holy Fuck (and some lame rapper dude) and is really unlike anything Lights has released before. It's gritty, kinda has a lo-fi kick, hard electronic with an icy synthpop chorus (Which is like The Listening). The next single "Toes" is released August 16th and also features Holy Fuck.

Most of you guys look like your music is out of my interest group but..

For rap fans and those sick of hearing the same weak mainstream contemporary rap/hip-hop songs with weak messages all the time. Listen to Drake- Headlines. Drake is keepin it real like how the OG's wanted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSs3fjmWSCU
"Headlines" is cool. I like "Dreams Money Can Buy" better. Wasn't a fan of Drake's first album, but the 3 songs from his upcoming one I have heard have me interested.

eugh i hate this month nothing good is coming out. only yob's album and enslaved's ep that i will get prolly.

i did get communic's the bottom deep and symphony x's iconoclast, and they're both pretty good. my first album by both though so i can't really compare.

monkfish

what are birds? we just don't know.
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
loving Foster the People's album Torches, it is kinda MGMTish but less psychedelic and more good

Why hasn't Watch the Throne leaked yet!! I'm pretty excited, I love most of Kanye's work, and an entire album of him and Jay-Z should prove interesting. Checking out Random Axe now.

Tomorrow.

TOMORROWWWWWW.

Also, gave Graveyard's Hisingen Blues a listen. For modern day hard rock, it's fantastic.

so watch the throne is pretty sick, the samples are absolutely fucking amazing and the lyrics are better than average imo. overall the songs flow well and i am very happy HAM is not on the regular album (included with the deluxe edition though)

edit:

mbdtf got old for me really quickly (i probably overlistened to it!) but i have a feeling that i'll be able to listen to this album for quite a while! my favorites off watch the throne include: no church in the wild, otis, gotta have it (i love this), who gon stop me, made in america, why i love you, primetime from the deluxe version

Jackal

I'm not retarded I'm Canadian it's different
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Alright stayed up to listen through Watch The Throne twice through.

I didnt get absolutely kicked off my chair like I did for MBDTF, but there are definitely some really solid tracks here. I thought the album closed out really strong, and Frank Ocean is awesome and is going to explode after this album.

Standouts: No Church In The Wild, Who Gon Stop Me, Made In America, Why I Love You

Haven't had the chance to look into the lyrics much, but the beats range from boring to amazing, and the flow sounds pretty good. Kanye can't really hold a light to Jay-z in terms of actually rapping but we can't hold that against him, everyone knew that.

Looking forward to listening again tomorrow.

EDIT: BS stealthed by darkie at like 4am

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)