Who are you again? A VGC 2011 National Warstory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfey

VGC 2016 Masters Champion
Prologue: So for those of you who don't know me, which is just about everyone here, my name is Wolfe and this is my first year playing in the VGC tournament though I've been playing Pokemon for as long as I can remember. I never wrote a warstory for my DC regional, so Ill combine this into both of those. I apologize for this warstory coming so late, I just got back from camp and this is my first time with access to the computer. I hope you enjoy my Warstory!

DC:
I live outside of DC, so it was close enough to drive for me. I get on the road with an hour to spare if I get there on time. I don't. I get to about being 5 mins away from the convention center and get hopelessly lost. After a minor freak out I call and get directions, nearly missing registration, with 5 mins to go. Im out of breath and nervous, as well as the fact that I dont know anyone. As I'm waiting in line, I pray that I'll at least get past round one. The team that I ended up using was my 105th team built. It consisted of:

Yup. Emboar. Obviously not the best team, but it was solid albeit having a few weaknesses. Believe it or not, my Lum Emboar won me my toughest match of the day.

Round 1 VS. Tediursabear
Ironically enough I know him from school, I dont remember this match that well truthfully, but it was a good game and I advance on to the next match without much difficulty.

Round 2 VS. ???
I have trouble with 2 pokemon with the team I am using, Chandelure and Amoongus. This guy has both of them. I say my prayers and thank God that I made it past round 1. As the match starts I frown to myself, this guy didn't use either of them! I win quickly and move on, saying thanks that I got a lucky break.

Round 3 vs. VGC Jumpman
This is my toughest match of the day. As I sit down across the table, we introduce ourselves. He tells me who he is and I break out into a cold sweat, remembering all the times he's beaten me online. This was an amazing match of great prediction, but in the end Im able to pull through. I saved this match and I'll post the battle video later. I rise from the table sweating and with my knees shaking. Im sure I wont make it past the next round.

Round 4 vs ????
Im sure Im going to lose, it took everything I had to get past round 3 and round 4 was most likely going to be even harder. I sit down across from him (not a smogon/Skarmbliss user), and take a look at his team. I see a few gaping weaknesses, and deal with his TR team without using much effort. Shocked that I did it, I move on to the finalist round

Round 5 Vs.
Thankfully I get a "bye" card, and therefore avoid playing a top 32 match. I dont remember much about this match, other than my opponent was good but I applied my regular TR strategy and won.

Round 6:
Same story as above, Don't remember.

Top 4 VS Tyler
This was a great match, I dont remember ANY details as its been so long but I remember being thankful that I made it all the way to the finals

Finals Vs IPS
Im shocked that I've made it this far, and I'm sure my opponent will be great. I was right, IPS and I played a great game, at one point half my team was asleep. I remember that I started off playing poorly, and theres a point in the match where I stop playing like an idiot and actually turn it around. I know that the only way Im going to nationals is if I win first place, and in the end although it comes down to time I pull off the win. Great game Mitch. Im so psyched that I actually won Im in shock for about 24 hours afterwords. I collect my winnings and begin preperation for nationals. My final match with Mitch can be found here: http://www.pokemonvgc.com/en/event/63

Nationals 2011: Ive built 207 teams and I feel like this one is finally the one that'll work. Im so nervous for this that my insomnia kicks in for about a week in advance. I get to the airport 6 hours before my flight is due, and begin waiting. Finally, its time to board the plane. I get on, and it starts to rain. Were about to take off, when the captain tells us were going to be delayed until the rain stops. We are delayed 2 hours. I am sure that the flight is going to be cancelled and Im going to miss nationals. The captain comes on to tell us we have 30 mins left of fuel we can burn before take off, and then were going to have to cancel the flight. 25 mins later, I'm really 100 percent sure Im going to miss it. Then the Captain comes on to tell us we can take off. Im still really nervous until we touch down and get safely to the hotel. I say hi to some of my friends from the TCG, and head back to the hotel room. My insomnia gets really bad this night, and I end up getting about 3 hours of sleep. Exhausted, I get up and have a tiny breakfast before heading down to the convention center.

Round 1 vs. TDS
This was a great match, mainly because we both looked like idiots in an attempt to outplay each other. I get some bad luck in a crit, a paralysis on my conkuldurr from a thundurbolt and having that activate a few turns later, and a minimum damage roll. HOWEVER, TDS outplayed me for the most part and he definately deserved to win, there is not a doubt in my mind. I wish him the best of luck and begin to move on with a record of 0-1

Round 2 Vs. ???
He wasnt a Smogoner, and man did I hax this guy bad. I flinched him like 4 times on rock slide. Glad that my luck is picking up, I move on with a record of 1-1.

Round 3 vs ???
Another non smogoner, he wasnt bad but he lacked a counter to TR. He was a really nice guy, and after beating him I move on after writing down the website for smogon and skarmbliss on a piece of paper for him to check out later.
2-1
Round 4 vs The pick and play
I see that I've been downpaired, and he tells me hes the pick and play from PO. Unfortunately, I knew his strategy having played him before, he didn't really have a chance. I used TR 4 times in this match mainly reversing his. I win and move on.
3-1
Round 5 vs TRJess
She was very good, but I outplayed her in a few crucial moments. I felt bad, but I move on feeling better about my round 1 loss.

Round 6 vs Fish
This guy was a very, very good player. Our match was intense with good moves on both ends. Im playing poorly, making mistakes, but still holding my own. I misplay in a crucial spot allowing his scrafty to get a KO on mine, and bringing in my terrakion against his scrafty in a TR with my paralyzed mummy still on the field. The only way I can win is to burn his scrafty, and KO with close combat as chople has already been used. I pray and hit the button. WoW hits! Im so happy I could cry, until I look down to see him crit my Terrakion for the KO. It was a good game regardless though, and he definately deserved the win here. Cursing my luck I move on knowing this next game defines it all, with a 4-2 record.

Round 7 vs. Jesus Ninahaza
He was good but my brain was in zen mode, I take an early lead and outplay him till time is up, leaving me with a 5-2 record in 14th seed.

Ill skip the boring stuff and go straigh to the next day.

T16 vs. Randy Kwa, Teamrocketelites brother
I sit down across from him and wish him luck, he says hes not on Smogon which makes me feel better but hes also 6-1. I outplay him the first game pretty well, but game 2 I misclick and accidently reverse my own Trick room and switch out the wrong Pokemon because I only hit cancel once not twice. Im playing from behind for the rest of the game, it gets down to 4-2 me with a few mins left, and all my pokemon able to be OHKO'd, outside of TR. I stall with protect, and Im able to win 4-3. GG's, sorry I had to end it like that.

T8 vs. the national champion from last years brother
Game one I dominate and I'm in complete control, but game 2 he gets a feel for my strategy and its alot tougher. I miss rock slide on the Pokemon I wanted to hit, but then flinch the other one. Next turn I try again and get minimum damage roll, but flinch another partner allowing me to set up TR. From here on its a tough match, but in the end I'm able to come away with the victory.

T4 Vs. DuketheDevil
This is my only loss of the day. Game one Im so excited to be going to Worlds I play poorly and he wins fair and square. However, I used game one to get a feel for his strategy and playing style, and come game 2 I dominate and pull out the win. Game 3 was amazing, it goes back and forth and eventually comes down to whether or not I get my only double protect of any tournament, ever. I do. Im ecstatic, but its not over yet. I make a good prediction the next turn, and get TR set up as well as an advantage. I finish the game, and move on to the finals. I saved the last match as a battle video, I'll edit that in later.

Lunch Break
I take a break in between the finals, and Im just walking to leave when a group of guys consisting of Destiny Bond, Captain Falcon, Saphire Birch, Meztips and Harrison. They come over to me and the conversation goes something like this.
"Hey, can we come to lunch with you?"
"Sure"
"Wait, you want to eat lunch with US?"
"Pshh, you guys want to eat lunch with ME?"
We head over to subway, and this was one of the best times of the entire trip. These guys were all awesome, and although I'm nervous we joke around and Im able to eat an entire foot long from subway, which with my nerves is a big deal. After discussing my Bullet Seed herbivore Bouffalant idea we head back for the finals.

Finals Vs. TTS
This guy is obviously the crowd favorite, when Nick announces his name the crowd goes wild, as opposed to when my name is announced I think if I listened carefully enough I could hear my mom clapping. He proceeds to set up 11 or so plushies on and around the battle box, and call out things to the crowd. I promise myself I'm going to do my best to beat him. Boy, was that going to be hard. After reading what he wrote later, he seemed to think that there was absolutely no way I could possibly lose this, but these were my hardest and closest matches of the entire day.

Game 1: I start off by burning his Krook and flinching it, nullifying his turn. I proceed to attempt to set up TR, only to watch as my Mummy gets critted by his Krook. He tells me "its just Pokemon". We play on. I dont remember much more of this match, other than at the end when its come down to my paralyzed conkeldurr and +1 low HP scrafty w/o Chople Vs His full HP Conk and low HP Stoutland. I predict correctly and protect my scrafty, and drain punch his conkeldurr doing half its HP. The next turn I mach punch Stoutland for the KO and drain punch his conk from scrafty while taking a drain punch on my Conk from his. At this point I mach punch for the win.

Game 2: This was the crazy one. Im not going to into detail, as the video is online that you can watch, but my mummy was paralyzed 3 times and flinched once every time I tried to set up TR, as well as WoW missing and a few more random paralysis. I was freaking out, and every time something would happen he would just tell me "Its just Pokemon dude". He shook my hand when my Coba berry activated and he cheered when I turned my own Pokemons abilitys to mummy. It was a really hard match, but in the end I pulled through.

Ill finish this with more details +props and slops tommorow.

I've waited so long for this! lol

Man it was so fun hanging out with you, definitely the best part of the weekend for me. That hax in the last game was unbelievable, but you pulled through it(thanks for avenging mine and meztips losses btw).

Congrats again on winning nats and good luck at worlds!

EDIT: Heres a pic to make your warstory nicer!

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Congratulations on the win! Yes, most of us were behind TTS as he's a friend to many of us and has been for years but we did still clap for you as well! And he was right in that last match. Luck is just Pokemon (as many of our best players can tell ya). Glad you had fun.

So after Alaka doesn't quite grab the brass ring at last year's nats, you go and win over the whole freaking nation. That's pretty much all I got from that text wall.

Have fun in Hawaii, man! (You ARE gonna go to worlds, right?)

TTS

Articulate Potty Lid
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Heh, I was just sorta trying to calm you down, you seemed quite agitated.. I didn't try too hard, admittedly, since you being agitated and misplaying was really my best chance at winning XD. I've been on the other end of the hax spectrum before on a high stakes match, so I know how it feels. You also have to remember that I knew in the back of my mind that, barring you misplaying like FUCK, that I was going to lose regardless, so you sorta freaking out over my hax was even more funny to me because of that :)

Very nice read! I really regret not getting a change to really talk to you but for the 30 seconds I talked to you after you won you were a very cool guy. I hope to see you next year!

Team Rocket Elite

Data Integration Thought Entity
is a Top Researcher Alumnus
Nice warstory and congrats on winning!

BTW Bullet Seed on Herbivore Bouffalant doesn't really work. Unlike Beat Up on Justified, it only activates Herbivore once.

Prologue:This guy is obviously the crowd favorite, when Nick announces his name the crowd goes wild, as opposed to when my name is announced I think if I listened carefully enough I could hear my mom clapping.
I laughed so hard.

Good job on your first attempt at the VGCs man! Good luck next year as well and I look forward to playing you next year at DC!

So after Alaka doesn't quite grab the brass ring at last year's nats, you go and win over the whole freaking nation. That's pretty much all I got from that text wall.

Have fun in Hawaii, man! (You ARE gonna go to worlds, right?)
Even the ones with the trip are definitely not going to go to Hawaii..

Congrats nonetheless, it was great meeting you (it's Duy btw, hopefully you remember me!)!

Congrats on winning, and I will see you at worlds! Sorry if it seemed like the crowd was one-sided, but most of us have known TTS for longer and he is a good friend so we definitely wanted him to win. It was still nice to see someone from Smogon take home the crown and you definitely deserved it!

Wolfey! Way to go man. I'm so glad you managed to go all the way and win, your achievements in VGC are quite the accomplishment this year, especially considering how young you are. (Thank god I don't have to play you :P)

Anyways, it was awesome meeting you and hopefully we'll get to hang out at Worlds!

DC CHAMPS REPRESENT!

Congratulations on the Nationals win! It was a great accomplishment for you to win it especially in your first year of VGC! Those long, hard, intense PO battles must have done something! Nice job man!

gec

pharos
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Your team intrigues me quite a bit but good job, congratulations and hopefully we'll meet this week!

evan

I did my best -- I have no regrets
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
After having been one of your many defeats in the DC regional (t8, the one you don't remember at all thank god. that was a bad match for me), it was interesting seeing how other top battlers reacted to being confronted with your playstyle in an official tournament match with the pressure of both the clock, expectations, and spectators. It caught me by surprise and really rattled me and I know everyone who actually went up against you felt the same way. You were consistently underrated as a battler but eventually had the last laugh over everyone. Congrats on your victory and good luck in worlds!

I feel for you on the crowd thing -- I've known TTS for a good 9 years or so now so(not to mention you'd beaten a couple other buddies in DC), and I know it is a similar relationship for some of the other competitors-turned-spectators -- but I think it's that much more clutch that you played out of our mind the entire finals with the crowd against you. Hope there's no hard feelings there; everyone cheers for their friends, but even if we were rooting against you most of us were impressed by how well you played(also devastated TTS couldn't find the Trick Room button anywhere). I think you probably had the best chain of predictions I saw all weekend in those finals matches, and to me that's the most interesting part of Pokemon battles, so props on that. I'll likely get the chance to say this in person before Swiss, but good luck in Worlds, all playin for team USA now ;).

EDIT: OH OH I remember the evan match from watching the stream. Can I like guest warstory this I'm pretty sure commentating on evan getting murdered would make my life complete.

Wolfey

VGC 2016 Masters Champion
Congratulations on the win! Yes, most of us were behind TTS as he's a friend to many of us and has been for years but we did still clap for you as well! And he was right in that last match. Luck is just Pokemon (as many of our best players can tell ya). Glad you had fun.
Haha, I think everyone misunderstood me there, I wasn't mad or anything about the crowd being for TTS or anything, far from it I totally get that he was your friend, but its a nice feeling having all expectations lifted from your shoulders because you arent expected to win, truthfully I think thats why I played so well.
Heh, I was just sorta trying to calm you down, you seemed quite agitated.. I didn't try too hard, admittedly, since you being agitated and misplaying was really my best chance at winning XD. I've been on the other end of the hax spectrum before on a high stakes match, so I know how it feels. You also have to remember that I knew in the back of my mind that, barring you misplaying like FUCK, that I was going to lose regardless, so you sorta freaking out over my hax was even more funny to me because of that :)
Jaja, I wasnt freaking out but I dont mind telling you that was pretty stressful from my end, I dont really understand how you were doomed to loose either way but you definitely pushed me to my best with your unstandard team and your wall of plushies, best of luck at worlds man.

After having been one of your many defeats in the DC regional (t8, the one you don't remember at all thank god. that was a bad match for me), it was interesting seeing how other top battlers reacted to being confronted with your playstyle in an official tournament match with the pressure of both the clock, expectations, and spectators. It caught me by surprise and really rattled me and I know everyone who actually went up against you felt the same way. You were consistently underrated as a battler but eventually had the last laugh over everyone. Congrats on your victory and good luck in worlds!
Ah, I vaguely remember now that you mention it, all I remember is what you look like (wierd) and that you didn't play as poorly as you said you did, I remember after the match you were like "Im ashamed to have played like that". Thanks for the support man, I built my team specifically to my playstyle which I think is why it works, thanks again well have to play sometime just for fun.

I feel for you on the crowd thing -- I've known TTS for a good 9 years or so now so(not to mention you'd beaten a couple other buddies in DC), and I know it is a similar relationship for some of the other competitors-turned-spectators -- but I think it's that much more clutch that you played out of our mind the entire finals with the crowd against you. Hope there's no hard feelings there; everyone cheers for their friends, but even if we were rooting against you most of us were impressed by how well you played(also devastated TTS couldn't find the Trick Room button anywhere). I think you probably had the best chain of predictions I saw all weekend in those finals matches, and to me that's the most interesting part of Pokemon battles, so props on that. I'll likely get the chance to say this in person before Swiss, but good luck in Worlds, all playin for team USA now ;).

EDIT: OH OH I remember the evan match from watching the stream. Can I like guest warstory this I'm pretty sure commentating on evan getting murdered would make my life complete.

Haha no hard feelings at all, like I said above I thought it was funny. Thank you man I really pride myself on my predictions as my team itself is well built and sturdy but I'd get killed if not for some lucky guesses. We should definitely meet in person at Worlds, best of luck man lets hope USA takes home the prize!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)