The Serenade (Needs improvement)

The Serenade

To open with, I built this team with one goal in mind, to beat the OSL (Official Serebii League), however in order to achieve this, two problems must be overcome, firstly, having a proporly prepared team, and secondly, actually managing to get a battle from there unresponsive leaders.

As I built this team, I figured I would keep offence in mind, so rather than allowing my team to cover each other well ( it somehow managed this by accident ) I built it with the intent to defeat particular types, those being the types of each leader.

These types are:

Fighting
Psychic
Water
Bug
Ground
Flying
Dragon
Steel

And so I begin team building with these types in mind.

TeamBuildingprocess

First of all I opened with Magnezone, why? Because not only is it my favourite pokemon, but also it covers a few of the mentioned types immediately. He can take on Water, Steel, and Flying.

Next I chose Terrakion, partly because I used to use him and he worked brilliantly when paired with the right team, and he also allows me to take on Bug, and to a certain degree, Flying.

I felt this team was now lacking bulk, so to take care of the Fighting type, I threw in Reuniclus, who has always been a solid choice any time I used him.

The remaining types I needed to cover were Ground, Dragon, and Psychic, to fill in this spot I chose a personal favourite... Gengar. My imparticular gengar set can take on Ground types, being immune to there primrary STAB, and being able to hit back with HP[Ice]/Giga Drain ( Bear with me ). His hidden power could let him take out the Dragon/Flying types I encounter, while STAB Shadow Ball can take Lati@s, and to a lesser extent, Psychic types to to his weakness.

I decided I would need something else to take on Psychic types, as Gengar wasn't exactly able to check/wall psychic types, so I decided on Bronzong to fill this role, this also gave me a rock setter. Bronzong was also able to hit annoying walls such as Gliscor and other Dragons thanks to [HP]Ice.

At this point, all I needed was some glue, a pokemon to cover everything I currently have not, so to cover my unresisted water weakness, and lack of fire and ground weaknesses, I decided on Dragonite, being a nice revenge killer and covering the remaining weaknesses of the team.

Eventually I swapped Terrakion out for Landorus, as Landorus covered everything I needed Terrakion for, only he was better and more reliable, allowing me to have a STAB EQ, Rock Slide and HP[Ice], covering alot of the types I needed too.

After numerous suggestions, and due to being doubtfull on landorus' position in the team, I replaced him with Gastrodon, giving me some well needed bulk, and someone to take water attacks. The only problem here is that I now have 4 Special Attackers and 2 Physical... one of these being Bronzong, so I am nor reconsidering Reuniclues. At this point I also began testing the Offencive DD'Nite, so his set may change in the near future.

InDepth

Zoned Out (Magnezone) @ Air Balloon
Trait: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Thunderbolt
- Substitute​

My usual choice of set for Zone, the EV's allowing him to dish out immediate damage, whilst still managing to hold himself up whilst the opponent pops his baloon. As he is regularly used to trap foes such as Skarmory, Ferrothorn and Forretress, he doesn't need any major investment in speed.
His moveset provides dual STAB ( Trust me, Flash Cannon may be rarely used, but when you do come across an appropriate time to use it, you will be glad you have it ) substitute to block incoming status from trapped poke's, especially Ferrothorn (alongside HP Fire to take him and other steels).​

Chocoberry (Gastrodon) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Calm Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam
- Toxic
- Recover

I have little experience using Gastrodon, although he fits in well with the team, allowing me to handle rain and water much more efficiently. He also acts as a special wall that this team needed severely. This is a typical tanking set that most will know anyway, although im running Ice Beam over Scald (which is not like me at all, I love double status) to help take on dragons and to allow me to counter Thundurus.​

Barinade (Reuniclus) (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SAtk
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Recover​

Reliable ol' Reuny, typical bulky CM set, although with the potential to do immediate damage. STAB psychic provides me with much needed additional power unlike Psyshock, with Focus Blast coverage, typical CM on a CM set, and a reliable form of recovery. LO is most efficient since Reuniclus does not recieve recoil from it.​

Mockery (Gengar) (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Shadow Ball
- Giga Drain
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]​

Gengar, this set is my pride and joy. Sure, it looks like the typical Glass Cannon with a dodgy moveset, although it has proven to be much more effective than the regular sets on many occasions. STAB Shadow Ball coverage, alongside HP [Ice] to take on dragons that aren't Lati@s, thunderbolt for coverage on flying and water types ( Gyara imparticular ) and Giga Drain for the increasingly common Rotom-W, Gastrodon, Pert... and the likes.​

Echo (Bronzong) @ Leftovers
Trait: Heatproof
EVs: 252 HP / 84 Atk / 80 Def / 92 SDef
Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
- Gyro Ball
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Stealth Rock​

I have never been a big fan of Bronzong, mainly because he never seems to pull his wieght enough. Although a friend suggested him for this team and it has proven more effective than previous uses of him. The standar set allowing me to use it as an effective wall ( however heatproof because I was more concerned about fire, rather than ground, plus most suspect it to have levitate anyway, so it would be rare for someone to EQ it ), and even having decent offence.​

Lolwut? (Dragonite) (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Multiscale
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- ExtremeSpeed
- Fire Punch
- Outrage​

Fixed up the D'Nite set after realising I put up the wrong set XD, I put up the moveset of a regular CBNite, yet the EV's of my D'Nite ( Who ran Ice Beam, the EV's allowed it to 0HKO Gliscor and the likes ). Although im going to replace this with the regular band set, slightly predictable, yet still effective, unfortunately D'Nite is the only poke in my team who is weak to entry hazards... and this is a big problem, especially as it breaks his Multiscale. I am currently thinking of replacing him, rather than adding a spinner just for one poke, although changing him still may not be nessercary.​

I apologise for the lack of detail, this is in correlation with my lack of sleep, so hopefully when I make changes and update this, I will be able to go slightly more in-depth.​

Thanks for reading, hopefully with some upgrades to this team I will be able to get through the OSL relatively unscathed. I have already beaten the Fighting leader too if this is any consolation... mainly because he is the only leader who actually accepts challenges... anyway, thanks again and I hope to hear replies soon!​

Whats the 60 Sp.Attk EVs on your Dragonite for? It doesn't even have any Special Moves...
I suggest you make Bronzong more defensively based, you have too many sweepers and not enough support
Finally, a Vaporeon would do well in this set. It stops Fire-type moves on Magnezone, Water-type moves on Landorus and Ice type moves on Dragonite

Whats with the 60 Atk Try This Set:

252Hp/4Sdef/252Atk
Multiscale
Adament

DragonDance
DClaw
Fire Punch
Roost

Im challenging OSL too By the way :)

Perhaps you should swap out rock polish on Landorous for swords dance, I find it easily able to sweep slower more defensive teams, rather then the less important outspeeding things. Although its your choice.

Reunicles doesn't fit well onto your team, as the only reason you have it is for takinging fighting hits, something Gengar, Dragonite, and Landorous do already. So I suggest you switch it for something else.

I notice you have a weakness to special sweepers, namingly Latios and Thundurus. A specially defensive Jirachi or scizor would work well on this team, in Reunicles's place.

Zephyr

Life Stream
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hey man, not a bad team in the works you have here. First off I'd like to say that a modified Choice Band Dragonite set would be a great start to improving your team, as others have already mentioned.

(Dragonite) (M) @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -Def)
- Earthquake
- ExtremeSpeed
- Fire Punch
- Outrage

Another thing I particularly noticed is that Nasty Plot Thunderus can give your team huge problems, in fact your team can be outright swept by it if Dragonite isn't able to get off an unhindered Extreme Speed to stop it after it already is set up. You mentioned that Landorus doesn't have a solid spot on your team and you were thinking about replacing it, I recommend you try Gastrodon; Not only does this give you an absolutely solid check to Thunderus, it gives your team a fantastic answer to Starmie who also wreaks havoc on your team, as nothing you have safely switches in, while keeping that great Electric-type immunity that Landorus had been providing you, and even throws in a Water-type immunity as well. This means you'll also have a much easier time against Pokemon like Rotom-W as well.

Gastrodon@Leftovers
Ability@Storm Drain
Evs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Nature@calm
-Earth Power
-Ice Beam / Scald
-Toxic
-Recover

Good luck!

Oh and Lum Berry or Lefties Your Choice cuz i find my set to get at least one DD then procede to sweep
Yes I agree DD nite would give you a chance to sweep a lot of the leaders in OSL as I am one. Over all your team looks pretty weak to good OU teams if you wanted to ladder badly with it ;). But for defeating mono types you should be ok in my opinion. You are pretty weak to water also. Simple rain stall would easily defeat this team. Btw you have a typo in the intro "there." OH I would also like to tell you good job on not counter teaming and creating a team that is meant to handle all the leaders. Good luck.

Whats the 60 Sp.Attk EVs on your Dragonite for? It doesn't even have any Special Moves...
I suggest you make Bronzong more defensively based, you have too many sweepers and not enough support
Finally, a Vaporeon would do well in this set. It stops Fire-type moves on Magnezone, Water-type moves on Landorus and Ice type moves on Dragonite

Sh*t XD look's like I mixed two of my sets together by mistake :3 My bad i'll fix this up.

COUNTERTEAMER!!!!!!!!!
I'f its only competatively viable against ONE gym, it's counter teaming... this is supposed to be viable against all of them and in regular random battles.

Yes I agree DD nite would give you a chance to sweep a lot of the leaders in OSL as I am one. Over all your team looks pretty weak to good OU teams if you wanted to ladder badly with it ;). But for defeating mono types you should be ok in my opinion. You are pretty weak to water also. Simple rain stall would easily defeat this team. Btw you have a typo in the intro "there." OH I would also like to tell you good job on not counter teaming and creating a team that is meant to handle all the leaders. Good luck.
I have been playing in ladders with this team and it works really well. Personally I can't see how it's weak to regular OU teams ( hence why I put up this RMT, I don't want this team to ONLY have the one use ). I was about to start ranting on how it wasn't counter teaming then, but then I read it a little closer XD ( unless thats sarcasm :o ). About the rain stall, one of the leaders in my league uses rain stall, and I admit, it destroyed my team, although as of now, it has been my only downfall. Anyway, im'a fix up my D'Nite set, then leave it for rating again. Thanks for the replies everyone and I apologise for the mistake on D'Nite XD

Hey man, not a bad team in the works you have here. First off I'd like to say that a modified Choice Band Dragonite set would be a great start to improving your team, as others have already mentioned.

(Dragonite) (M) @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -Def)
- Earthquake
- ExtremeSpeed
- Fire Punch
- Outrage

Another thing I particularly noticed is that Nasty Plot Thunderus can give your team huge problems, in fact your team can be outright swept by it if Dragonite isn't able to get off an unhindered Extreme Speed to stop it after it already is set up. You mentioned that Landorus doesn't have a solid spot on your team and you were thinking about replacing it, I recommend you try Gastrodon; Not only does this give you an absolutely solid check to Thunderus, it gives your team a fantastic answer to Starmie who also wreaks havoc on your team, as nothing you have safely switches in, while keeping that great Electric-type immunity that Landorus had been providing you, and even throws in a Water-type immunity as well. This means you'll also have a much easier time against Pokemon like Rotom-W as well.

Gastrodon@Leftovers
Ability@Storm Drain
Evs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Nature@calm
-Earth Power
-Ice Beam / Scald
-Toxic
-Recover

Good luck!
I have made the nessercary changes on D'Nite, and I am currently testing Gastrodon on my team, personally I have never been a big fan of the Water/Ground poke's, although I have to admit, he looks like he fits well on the team, although losing Landorus' Rock type attack makes it slightly harder to beat HardCore up there :P but oh well, not like it matters now he knows my team ;D haha

You might want to give Magnezone Charge Beam over Hidden Power Fire or Flash Cannon, preferably the former as you still beat Ferrothorn after enough boosts and hopefully with a Substitute so you can beat anything else your opponent decides to send out, as long as you don't switch it in on a Leech Seed. You may also want to change its item and its spread - Leftovers and an EV spread of 36 HP l 252 SpA l 220 Spe with a Timid nature should suffice.

You should also use Focus Blast over Thunderbolt, or just run the SubDisable set for Gengar; Gyarados, or any Pokemon quad weak to Electric rather, are not common at all in 5th Generation, and if you do come across as Gyarados, Magnezone can take any hit from hit (barring Earthquake which if it does happen to run it you still have Dragonite) and OHKO back with Thunderbolt. Focus Blast also helps hitting Tyranitar on the switch in for a 2HKO (if it's holding a Chople Berry) and flat out OHKO standard mixed Tyranitar.

Overall, nice team and good luck.

toshimelonhead

Honey Badger don't care.
is a Tiering Contributor
Hi there Thepain,

As with other readers, I agree that it's a good start. However, I see a few problems. I don't know if you are challenging the OSL on PO or through Wifi, so I'll try to make these more attainable through the cartridge games.

First off, the Gastrodon suggestion before me is a great idea, as your team is weak to the Drizzle teams of the metagame. Nothing can really switch in on Starmie or Rotom-W, for instance, and Gastrodon is the best counter to those right now. Use the set above with Ice Beam since Scald's burn rate is counterproductive with Toxic.

I have to note something through your teambuilding process that gave me some pause. The goal is not to beat specific types, even if this team is going up against hybrid mono teams, but rather specific pokemon. Start with a threat list first and find pokemon to counter each of the members of the threat list and build a team that way. I am not ripping on the team here, but in the future doing this will make your teams much more solid.

Let me go through the first 10 threats and see what's fixable here:

Ferrothorn: Magnezone is a great counter, but others have suggested a Substitute/Charge Beam set that would work better. Use that instead.
Tyranitar: Gastrodon fixes this.
Scizor: As long as you don't switch Magnezone into Superpower you're fine.
Politoed: Rain will still be tough even with Gastrodon. While Gastrodon switches into Water-type attacks fine, it can't deal with Toxic.
Gliscor: Gastrodon, Gengar, Bronzong
Latios: Bronzong can switch in but can't do much back. Gengar outspeeds so you can revenge kill it.
Rotom-W: Gastrodon can switch in, but be wary of trick.
Excadrill: A good reason for Bronzong to have Levitate instead of Heatproof. Bronzong doesn't get much utility from walling Fire-type attacks when it can wall the top Sand threats in the game. It's not "trickery" if it doesn't help the team out. Here it would be nice to put Focus Blast on Gengar instead of Energy Ball as a second option, though.
Thundurus: Gastrodon is the only real counter in OU right now.
Dragonite: Landorus revenges, but can't switch in. Bronzong will work since it has HP Ice and Stealth Rock.

So Gastrodon + Bronzong + Magnezone is a solid building block for now. I haven't gone through the rest of the threats to see where they fit in, but my guess is that over playtesting some of the other members will come into fruition.

Good luck with the team.

EDIT: For everyone whining about counterteaming, this is not a counterteam. Quit whining.

Rain teams absolutely destroy you, as you have no reliable Water switch in. SpecsToed alone can tear apart your team, and if something like a Life Orb Starmie or Choice Rotom-W follows, you're gonna have a lot of trouble. Nasty Plot Thundurus can also give you quite some trouble. While you have Dragonite to revenge it, you can't rely it on all the time,as you have to sacrifice a mon every time you switch him in or you will risk taking a Hidden Power Ice. Therefore, I agree with the Gastrodon Zeph suggested. You should probably try a Gastrodon over Gengar, as your team is mainly bulky offensive, while Gengar is very frail. Note that I suggest a different set than Zeph suggested though, namely:

Gastrodon @ Choice Specs | Storm Drain
Modest | 240 HP / 252 SpA / 16 SpD
Surf / Earth Power / Ice Beam / Recover

This Gastrodon is much more of an offensive presence. When the opponent has a Politoed (this is when you'll mainly be using it), and you switch in on a Water-type move, Gastrodon will effectively have 1046 Special Attack when using Surf.

As for some smaller changes, I suggest using 152 HP / 180 SpA / 176 Spe on Magnezone. That way, you outspeed Taunt Skarmory, and still make sure Ferrothorn will never break your Substitute with Power Whip. I also recommend just using 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA Bold on Reuniclus. This way, Reuniclus avoids the 2HKO from Tyranitar with Crunch and just takes a lot less from physical hits, so you can check Fighting-types better. If you want to have power right from the start, a Trick Room set is much better. The moveset is Trick Room / Psychic / Shadow Ball / Focus Blast @ Life Orb and the EV spread is 192 HP / 64 Def / 252 SpA Quiet. I also suggest using Levitate over Heatproof on Bronzong. Currently, your team is very weak to opposing Excadrill and Landorus. Just bluffing Levitate can sometimes be your death, as a Heatran Fire Blasting your Bronzong will reveal it, as well as Spikes if the opponent carries it. You also can't switch in on the Pokemon Bronzong should bluff Levitate against, as it might use Earthquake and then the surprise is gone.

With these changes, I think your team looks pretty solid. Good luck!

Thanks for the suggestions, just came back from holiday and I have now updated the OP, hopefully i'll be able to replace Reuniclus and Bronzong soon, Reuniclus doesnt seem to be helping this team too much anymore and Bronzong has never really pulled his weight, regardless of the sets I use. Offencive DDNite is now in testing too:

move 1: Dragon Dance
move 2: Dragon Claw
move 3: Fire Punch
move 4: Thunder Punch
ability: Multi Scale
item: Life Orb
nature: Adamant
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe

So please leave suggestions on this too. Thanks!

This team has no Gallade :(

A specially defensive Gallade with Bulk Up, Drain Punch, Shadow Sneak and Ice/Thunderpunch/EQ could be a replacement for your Bronzong and also give you some priority in shadow sneak vs things that outspeed you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)