Andy your a Starmie [RMT]

So I'm very new to the Smogon crew. But not to pokemon, i've become progressively more competitive with my teams, but not until recently have I been able to put together one that won a few matches on PO. Critique away.

Team Analysis:

Andy @ Expert Belt
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 S.Atk / 252 Spd.
Nature: Timid
-Surf
-Psychic
-Thunderbolt
-Ice Beam

-I used Jumpman's idea from the BT, and the Killers for the nickname. After getting tired of trying to find the perfect lead and the perfect set up, this is my resolve. An anti-lead. Starmie covers more than half of the types out there with this move-set and is a dependable lead.

Excadrill @ Focus Sash
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk. / 252 Spd.
Nature: Jolly
-Earthquake
-Rock Slide
-Rapid Spin
-Aerial Ace

-You'd be surprised at how many people Aerial Ace throws off. It may be an unwise move, but when you have a grass or fighting type that isn't expecting a super effective move, its a nice trump card. I put in the rapid spin in case Andy ran into Skarmory or others, figuring he would be strong enough to take on whatever came through.

Haxorus @ Choice Band
Abilities: Mold Breaker
-Outrage
-Earthquake
-Brick Break
-Shadow Claw

-I love dragon types and BW brought me yet another dragon type to add. More of a game winner or a trump card, Haxorus usually sits in the back until I'm really in trouble. I figured I had basically all other types countered, so I added Shadow Claw to try and counter Psychics.

Scizor @ Focus Sash
Ability: Technician
EVs: 108 HP / 200 Def. / 200 S.Def.
Nature: Adamant
-Bullet Punch
-U-Turn
-Roost
-Swords Dance

-Scizor works as a revenge killer and a buffer against Starmie and Haxorus' main weaknesses. Which is mainly why his defenses are buffed.

Archy @ Flight Gem
Ability: Defeatist
-Acrobat
-Rock Slide
-Earthquake
-Protect

-Finally, I thought, "I need a flying pokemon to help with the fighting and ground weaknesses". So I recruited Archy, Acrobat is good with the gem and as long as he doesn't lose half his health for a while he doesn't lose half his atk.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Steel Thorns
EVs: 180 HP / 76 Def. / 252 S.Def.
Nature: Relaxed
-Thunder Wave
-Leech Seed
-Spikes
-Protect

-What seems like a bulky lead, is actually a mid-game crippler. When it comes down to it, Ferrothorn has most weaknesses covered and can cripple most things and come out of it with ease. And steel thorns makes even the strongest think twice about what they'll do next.

I would love to hear what you guys have to say, so please do tell.

-Need a counter for the fire weakness in my team.

Right, i dunno why i did that now that you mention it. I threw the team together and it worked well.

Excadrill without sandstorm? WTH Bro.
Dual Chop over shadow claw on haxxy
TTar over scizor, cos they check the same things anyway, and helps with exca and ferro.
LO on Starmie
Just about anything over archeops, but probably a rotom-w or latios

hope i helped

I thought about sandstorm, but i figured i had to make a good team before i introduced sandstorm into it.
And archeops really wasn't a need. He was basically filler.

And yes, thank you.

You can try out this set here for your Archeops. I assure you that it is beastly and can deal lots of damage in one turn:

Archeops @ Rock Gem
Adamant nature
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Eathquake | Acrobatics | Head Smash | U-Turn

On the first turn you Head Smash (Head Smash + Adamant nature + Rock gem = OHKO to a lot of common pokemon). After that, you can use whatever move you like. This set, though, would benefit from Wish greatly.

Other than this brief suggestion, your team needs some changes. You have a pretty good weakness against fire and Excadrill doesn't fit on your team if there isn't a SS active. Some superficial changes I would do is including a Rotom-W as Aeromence metioned. You should think on how to improve your team on your own and "remodel" it a bit. You'll see it becomes better (:

Hmm ok thank you. What about Aerodactyl though, i gave him some thought but chose Archy over him.

Aerodactyl is frail and wouldn't withstand a lot of hits. In fact, the only thing Aerodactyl would do survive a hit with Focus sash and set up Stealth Rocks. But the problem I see is that one: a fire weakness.

The best solution, in my opinion, would be to "transform" your team into a SSteam. Try to forma a nice solid core and build your team around it. That's how tough teams are created. (:

Hey, your team is going to have quite a lot of trouble against strong physical attackers like Conkeldurr, Terrakion, and opposing Excadrill; just to name a few. My suggestion is that you replace Archeops with Gliscor. This is just a simple change, but it's one that will make the effectiveness of your team absolutely skyrocket by solving the aforementioned problem and also giving you a stallbreaker. By running a bit of extra speed you'll be able to outrun opposing Gliscor and get off that first crucial Ice Fang attack. Here's the set:

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb l Impish l 244 HP / 176 Def / 88 Spd
Earthquake l Ice Fang l Swords Dance l Taunt

Focus Sash is truly an awful item to be using on Excadrill and should be replaced with a Life Orb for an extra boost of power. Furthermore, try using Frustration over Rapid Spin and get rid of Aerial Ace so that you can Swords Dance. All of these changes will give your team a perfect late-game sweeper. Of course, you'll need to use Tyranitar for any of this to be possible. Go with Aeromence's suggestion and use it in place of Scizor. Anyways, good team and good luck.

If you want an anti-lead go with Multiscale Dragonite. Way better than starmie ever will be. Ferrothorn shuts it down all day.

Your Excadrill should just be taken out with no sand. The only way I can see him being used on this team is as a bulky rapid spinner. I'd suggest starmie because she checks things like Thundurus and Latios but oh well. Beef up Excadrill he is not going to be needing to outspeed anything with no sand. EQ deals more damage to FTG pokemon and I highly suggest running Return to atleast KO Gliscor when he's at like 20%. Excadrill's glory is in the fact that it threatens the ghosts out there(Who spinblocks in this meta anymore?) which is wasted with him being fast and frail.

For Scizor you should take out those Def EV's and put them in HP. 252HP/~200SpDef/Dump rest into ATK. He will be taking special hits alot more than defensive ones. Especially with Latios running around. Personally I'd run Bug Buzz over U-Turn but thats all up to you.

Archeops can be a great late game sweeper. Not many people expect him. He's very powerful. He wants wish. He dies fast. His not going to be taking any fighting attacks at all.

Ferrothorn is ferrothorn.

Threats:
You have a shit ton of threats that could run train on your team. Get a defensive core. Atleast Ferro-Jellicent or Ferro-slowbro-Blissey or something. There are too many pokemon that will destroy you.

I suggest getting a SpDef Rachi. It can check Lati's and pass wishes. Scizor won't be taking so much damage.
I also suggest getting Slowbro for a bulky water.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)