Battle Institute Master Ranks

Hello everyone. You all remember the Battle Institute, right? Of course you do! You test your Pokemon team if it's ready to take on the Battle Subway. But...have any of you got the MASTER rank at the institute?

It may be nearly impossible to get the Master Rank, but I did.

My team was Garchomp, Ferrothorn and Jellicent. All I can remember was getting the Master Rank for the first time with 6079 points. Not a single Pokemon fainted.

But enough talk about me. Have you got the Master Rank with the best Pokemon you can come up with? I bet you have. Come in and share your thoughts on what team you entered with and how many points you've obtained throughout the challenge. :)

(I'm not sure if this was done already though...)

Well i was very close once , in the last battle , my thunderus could take out all 3 of his pokes without set-up , however i didnt knew that beforehand. I took out the first poke ( forgot wich pokes it were , it was a watertype) , and he pulled out his second. Now my thunderus ingame has a little bulk invested and i tought i could take a hit so i nastyplotted on his attack. That was my mistake and he killed him, then i still won , but with 2 fainted pokes :(. Gratz to you however!

I got Master Rank with this team: Gliscor, Ursaring, Dragonite I took the institute out with sword dance and Earthquake combo. I don't go there anymore because it seems like they always use Legendaries.

I don't know about singles, but I certainly didn't find it difficult to attain Master Rank in doubles. 6272 points with a team of Eelektross, Lumineon, Lilligant and Seaking. Yeah.

First turn, Lumineon sets up rain to activate Swift Swim and make Thunder accurate. Then Lumineon Soaks things and Eelektross kills them with super effective Thunder. If Eelektross dies, he's replaced with Petal Dancing Lilligant, and if Lumineon dies then Seaking comes in to keep Soaking stuff. It would never fly against human players, but it sure is fun against the AI.

First turn, Lumineon sets up rain to activate Swift Swim and make Thunder accurate. Then Lumineon Soaks things and Eelektross kills them with super effective Thunder. If Eelektross dies, he's replaced with Petal Dancing Lilligant, and if Lumineon dies then Seaking comes in to keep Soaking stuff. It would never fly against human players, but it sure is fun against the AI.
Very incredible! You got the rank with some Pokemon that trainers rarely use! When did you come up with that idea and did a single Pokemon in the institute scare you while using that team?

I basically just thought Soak was a cool move and I wanted to find a use for it. I don't really remember how the institute run went as it was months ago, but it wasn't perfect. It's not really that good of a strategy; I've had more success on the Battle Subway with a more straightforward sweeping strat. But as I said, it's good fun.

I basically just thought Soak was a cool move and I wanted to find a use for it. I don't really remember how the institute run went as it was months ago, but it wasn't perfect. It's not really that good of a strategy; I've had more success on the Battle Subway with a more straightforward sweeping strat. But as I said, it's good fun.
All I got to say is...you showed us that Soak does work wonders in Double Battles. I don't think I ever saw a trainer who used that strategy before. Keep up the good work mate, and congrats for getting the Master Rank!

And who knows...maybe your team would be the most creative Double Battle team yet.

As for poccil. You've put up some interesting facts on how the institute works. Looks complicated the first time, but it's really helpful.

I got master rank on Doubles (Jelli, Whimsi, Terrakion, Chandelure) and Elite in singles :< (I made a mistake and lose a poke or probably should been Master)

iss

let's play bw lc!
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I've gotten 6400+ at VGC Regionals and Nationals. They have a special battle test, which uses VGC '11 format (doubles, level 50, Gen V mons only).

I got master rank on Doubles (Jelli, Whimsi, Terrakion, Chandelure) and Elite in singles :< (I made a mistake and lose a poke or probably should been Master)
Ah, yes. The good old VGC Tailwind team with Whimsicott and Terrakion. Probably one of the best Double Battle teams out there. Great job on getting the Master Rank on Doubles!

By the way, what was the mistake you've made in Singles?

To iss

A special battle test you say? I am quite concerned to learn all about it once I got the time.

I've gotten 6400+ at VGC Regionals and Nationals. They have a special battle test, which uses VGC '11 format (doubles, level 50, Gen V mons only).
I wish I could play that one. The default test mode can't even score that high. There is supposed to be downloadable test modes/scenarios via WiFi someday...

As for the default, I've gotten Master in Singles and Doubles a ton of times with a large variety of teams. I usually take a test version of a Super Singles or Super Doubles team through there for first before heading in to the Subway. I'll look and see what my most recent one is next time I get on my White. It's not very hard to get Master at all, which is a bit disappointing.

I got Master Rank in Singles using a team of Galvantula, Terrakion, and Rotom-H, and barely (6100) in Doubles using a team of Sigilyph, Crustle, Rotom-H, and Krookodile.

I wish I could play that one. The default test mode can't even score that high. There is supposed to be downloadable test modes/scenarios via WiFi someday...

As for the default, I've gotten Master in Singles and Doubles a ton of times with a large variety of teams. I usually take a test version of a Super Singles or Super Doubles team through there for first before heading in to the Subway. I'll look and see what my most recent one is next time I get on my White. It's not very hard to get Master at all, which is a bit disappointing.
Well, I think you know all of your opponent's movesets really well. You're Pokemon will be like express engines that won't stop at any station! You might even reach the 100 mark, if you haven't done that already.

Nevertheless, keep up the good work and congrats for getting the Master Rank.

If only there really was a downloadable test mode we can all do at the institute...

To Newby n0Ob

I'll congratulate you to for getting the Master Rank in Singles AND in Doubles. Were you even afraid about your type disadvantadges? If not, then you're one mighty trainer.

I'm sure doubles is EXTREMELY easy with Terrakion + Whimsicott. the Battle SUbway is easy with that combo! Anyway, I always try to do the Battle Institute but it's hard when everything crits my Reuniclus, and because I don't get a prize, I just don't try the Battle Institute often

I haven't been in the battle institute in a while, but with a decent team it's actually really simple to get master rank. I believer last run got about 6000-ish points with rotom, electivire, spiritomb, and I believe zebstrika. Even with such a severe weakness to ground moves, I still won pretty easily.

I've never tried this, but this thread has gotten me interested. I remembered hearing something about it at the Atlanta regionals but I never bothered looking into it until now.

Ah, yes. The good old VGC Tailwind team with Whimsicott and Terrakion. Probably one of the best Double Battle teams out there. Great job on getting the Master Rank on Doubles!
I can believe that it's good ingame when facing AI opponents who can't see it coming, but it's not that great in general Doubles and as far as I've seen not even that eminent in VGC2011. It's too easy to shut down. But, to return to the topic at hand, some of these non-OU pokemon streaks are pretty neat.

I've never tried this, but this thread has gotten me interested. I remembered hearing something about it at the Atlanta regionals but I never bothered looking into it until now.

I can believe that it's good ingame when facing AI opponents who can't see it coming, but it's not that great in general Doubles and as far as I've seen not even that eminent in VGC2011. It's too easy to shut down. But, to return to the topic at hand, some of these non-OU pokemon streaks are pretty neat.
I agree on the AI, Ashenlock. However, the team needs to be careful of Trick Room if one of those Pokemon don't have Taunt.

Also, I'm really impressed with trainers that use other Pokemon to try out the institute. Keep it up lads and you'll dominate the Battle Subway!

No sure how helpful his is for everyone, but I thought I might as well post it:

The scoring breakdown is as follows:
1000 points per battle won
80 points per opposing Pokémon fainted
5 points per switch
1 point per super-effective attack
4 points per opposing attack that is rendered ineffective (either from type immunities, Levitate, or a status attack that the Pokémon is immune to due to typing)
2 points per opposing attack that is rendered not very effective
30 points if a battle was won with the opposing side taking at least one turn, 15 points if a battle was won without the opposing side taking a turn
-80 points per Pokémon fainted
-10 points per turn
-10 points per ineffective attack against the opponent (on the same basis as the above)
-2 points per resisted attack against the opponent
1 point per percent of HP remaining after each battle
And is it just me, or is it much easier to get a master rank in doubles? I ran a surf spam team of Gastrodon, Vaporeon, Lumineon and Jellicent, and got Master Rank first time, whilst I cannot seem to get more than 5800 points in singles.

No sure how helpful his is for everyone, but I thought I might as well post it:

And is it just me, or is it much easier to get a master rank in doubles? I ran a surf spam team of Gastrodon, Vaporeon, Lumineon and Jellicent, and got Master Rank first time, whilst I cannot seem to get more than 5800 points in singles.
That's actually a really awesome breakdown you posted and much easier to follow than the actual formula.

I also agree that Doubles seems easier. I think it's the amount of turns that makes Singles a tad harder. Single games tend to take more turns than Doubles even if only slightly.

Zari

What impossible odds?
is a Contributor Alumnus
I remember doing battle institute a while ago; dunno if I was luck or not, but for singles I just used adamant haxorus @sash DD/Dclaw/outrage/EQ and got master rank since I never lost a poke due to sash(or switched, etc). Seriously, if you're looking to get master rank in singles, just lead with a set up poke @sash. It's not THAT hard if you play smart. I barely scraped into master rank on that time though(like 6023 points or something, I forget the exact amount)

For doubles I just recently went through and got master with a lol team of vulpix (yes vulpix)/ typholosion / scrafty / nidoking. Basically just spammed eruption w/ the sun boost until the other side died. I lost vulpix like once and still got 6360 points ^_^

So close to master on singles. Highest was like 5700 or something.
I used: Breloom, Samurott (Shelly), and Volcarona.
They were all setup pokes (two with Swords Dance and two physicals each, one with Quiver Dance and three specials) where Breloom was lead and Volcarona took over for him.

Just got Master Rank, with my team of LO Latios, Vaporeon, Metagross. It was the same team as before, I just changed Latios's moveset a bit. I think I only used Vaporeon once this time though, so you could easily replace it with something more offensive.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)