Zoroark (Analysis)

Okay, this is merely theorymon, but wouldn't Hidden Power Flying be a good option over flamethrower for most sets. While that would make you rely on Focus blast for steel types, that would take out the fighting and bug types that give Zoroark trouble.

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Okay, this is merely theorymon, but wouldn't Hidden Power Flying be a good option over flamethrower for most sets. While that would make you rely on Focus blast for steel types, that would take out the fighting and bug types that give Zoroark trouble.
No, not really. First of all, Zoroark does rely on Flamethrower to KO Bug-types (most of which aren't as fast as Zoroark0, and with +2 in Special Attack, it also KOes most Fighting-types. Extrasensory is also an option to KO Fighting-types, with +2 Dark Pulse KOing the Bug-types. Overall, Hidden Power Flying is just plain less usable than the followed options.

Oh. Like I said, I hadn't tested it, hp flying just kinda popped into my head when I thought of a Bug and Fighting weakness. :D

Hitting your weaknesses isn't always the most important thing when considering your moves. Sometimes it is much more important to hit more pokemon than cover your own weaknesses.

Not to mention Zoroark appreciated FB/Dark Pulse/Flamethrower coverage as is. Only move I'd ever consider other than the listed is Extrasensory for fighting types but these days most have priority.

Hidden Power Psychic is good to, just in case your opponent switches in a fighting type. I would much rather have that over HP Ice.

Hidden Power Psychic is good to, just in case your opponent switches in a fighting type. I would much rather have that over HP Ice.
No it is not. Hidden Power Psychic does nothing but help your opponent due to how it wastes a moveslot for something much better like Hidden Power Ice. And if you really wanted to hit Psychic types, just use fucking Extrasensory, not a usless Hidden Power.

Zoroark, in both body type and stat spread, makes me think that he's like Lucario "only more so" in that he hits harder and faster at the cost of even lower defenses, but what mainly holds him back is his inferior defensive typing. As such, depending on who else is on your team, you'll want to plan your switches so that Zoroark isn't on the receiving end of any entry hazards, sandstorm or hail that might give away his typing. Another tell-tale sign is his pathetic 60/60/60 defenses, meaning that if he tries to pose as a bulky Pokemon switching into a powerful attack, you will often end up not only losing him, but revealing another team member. Thus, pretty much the only time to send him in is after a KO.

Speaking of which, Team Preview will alert your opponent to the fact that you have a Zoroark, and as much as forewarned is forearmed, he still won't know when you plan to reveal it.

Overall, this Pokemon is one you can't just throw onto any team and expect him to work: This guy requires a good deal of team support and the ability to play mind games with the foe to truly shine. Still, I think he's fast enough to consider running a Specs set with Dark Pulse as the main STAB, though he'll play like an inferior Darkrai.

AccidentalGreed

Zoroark, in both body type and stat spread, makes me think that he's like Lucario "only more so" in that he hits harder and faster at the cost of even lower defenses, but what mainly holds him back is his inferior defensive typing. As such, depending on who else is on your team, you'll want to plan your switches so that Zoroark isn't on the receiving end of any entry hazards, sandstorm or hail that might give away his typing. Another tell-tale sign is his pathetic 60/60/60 defenses, meaning that if he tries to pose as a bulky Pokemon switching into a powerful attack, you will often end up not only losing him, but revealing another team member. Thus, pretty much the only time to send him in is after a KO.

Speaking of which, Team Preview will alert your opponent to the fact that you have a Zoroark, and as much as forewarned is forearmed, he still won't know when you plan to reveal it.

Overall, this Pokemon is one you can't just throw onto any team and expect him to work: This guy requires a good deal of team support and the ability to play mind games with the foe to truly shine. Still, I think he's fast enough to consider running a Specs set with Dark Pulse as the main STAB, though he'll play like an inferior Darkrai.
Not that Darkrai exists in OU, so Zoroark can still show off a Specs Dark Pulse effectively. Hence the Choice Specs set in the beginning post.

Could I suggest adding a somewhat gimmick mixed Zoroark set?
Timid, Life Orb, max sp atk, max spe
Swagger, Foul Play, Flamethrower, Extrasensory
Foul Play takes the attack stat of the opponent so when you use Swagger you're giving them confusion and a swords dance which although could negatively affect you, the Foul Play with the Life Orb will generally ensure an OHKO after confusion hax... Ghost types such as Chandelure are great partners for Illusion because a flamethrower coming off a Chandelure is expected but the opponent won't know... This is my lead Zoroark set... :)

AccidentalGreed

Could I suggest adding a somewhat gimmick mixed Zoroark set?
Timid, Life Orb, max sp atk, max spe
Swagger, Foul Play, Flamethrower, Extrasensory
Foul Play takes the attack stat of the opponent so when you use Swagger you're giving them confusion and a swords dance which although could negatively affect you, the Foul Play with the Life Orb will generally ensure an OHKO after confusion hax... Ghost types such as Chandelure are great partners for Illusion because a flamethrower coming off a Chandelure is expected but the opponent won't know... This is my lead Zoroark set... :)
Well, to be quite honest, I'm finding this hard to execute due to the reliance of the opponent's actions rather than your own, and the fact that leads outside of Deoxys-S and weather starters don't exist. Whereas Nasty Plot Zoroark can set up on unsuspecting Pokemon and actually keep its boosts, "SwaggerRoark" is too reliant on the opponent's chance of confusion AND its Attack boosts. It may even get KO'd in the process due to Swagger's side effect (hence Swagger never being used competitively).

Setsuna

Prototype
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
PKG, hello, how are you. (you know what I'm wondering right now, don't you). Let's do that please. ;)

making a choice between Sucker Punch and Night Daze is difficult. some of Zoroark's viable Illusion fodders ACTUALLY learn Dark Puse as well, meaning that the oppnonent won't be alerted to Illusion as they would through Night Daze. so why not jus choose ONE dark move?set i will b running once Zorua decides to have babies with Liepard...Moves:
Nasty Plot
Sucker Punch
Flamethrower
Focus Blast
Nature: Hasty (Zoroark won't survive much of ANY physical STAB attack, so lets give SpD some help...)
Item: Focus Sash (and BECAUSE of this frailty, at least ONE attack will get through...or NP depending...

The all out attacking set i find works very well
priority is always nice with STAB and yeah you should run dark pulse because we all know how bad hax can be when you need night burst to work so good analysis

Zoroark is a pretty decent pokemon. Besides having an awesome ability, you can play mind games with your opponent. Besides, it has a vast movepool, nice speed and sp.attack. I like to use it with a focus sash, because it doesn´t faint with one hit, and I have time to set up a Nasty Plot and then start sweeping. One of my favourite pokemon.

I would post a lead set consisting of Taunt, Sucker Punch, Counter, and Momento. It can help set up a really early sweep, work as an anti-lead and prevent Rocks. Max Spe and Atk with Hasty nature.

I personally use Zoroark as a lead. He works very nicely. :3

[SET]
name: Lead
move 1: Night Burst / Dark Pulse
move 2: Flame Thrower
move 3: Focus Blast
move 4: U-Turn
item: Focus Sash
nature: Timid
evs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

He hits most everything neutrally, and right now I can't think of the exceptions. He has enough speed to outrun many leads, and can easily get rid of Ferrothorn, Espeon, Heatran, and can one-hit T-tar with a Focus Blast, which in my opinion is something to be proud of. However, this set gets destroyed by Mienshao using Fake-Out and High Jump Kick.. A switch is always necessary in that situation.

uuhhh...new
anyways, i would say that nasty zoroark @ focus sash is a good sstyle, and i would like to bring up agian what is so bad about hp flying.... i mean, it seems good at a glance, but i would like to know all the flaws with that, and if it would be able to replace focus blast or if hidden power fighting with 100 accuracy would be able to replace 80 accuracy focus blast...:pimp:

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
PKG, hello, how are you. (you know what I'm wondering right now, don't you). Let's do that please. ;)
4 out of the 5 sets have been written up, they're a bit sloppy though so i'm making sure they're in peak condition before presenting them to the GP team.

Are you sure that the SD set should be on there? In my experience, it has been awful and is only worth OO. Having to rely on Ankle Sweep for coverage is just awful, and Zoroark needs so much team support to sweep that you may as well using one of the multitude of other pokemon that outclass it.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Ok the first 3 sets are finally done.

I haven't proofread it yet and I don't want any GP checks until all 5 sets are finished.
That should get people off my bulge

i wanna see someone diguise there zoroark as a shedinja, then the opponent wont attack it with there pokes allowing a free swords dance (swords dance to make the illusion more legit). With no sand storm and no hazards this sounds very plausible in my head at least, another thought is to use a lum berry obvisously when they see that the ball will drop that you're a zoroark, but ppl will status you thinking your a shedinja and with a free swords danceit could be gg,(i also like suckerpunch lum berry to prevent burn) but the sucker punch and 105 speed means youll out speed most things. A sash wont help cos itll ruin the illusion with the HP bar. (i just realised that when a decent player see zoroark outspeed out speed something shedinja wouldnt the illusion would fail. :/

But the point is if its a lead, then they will likely switch. The switch is when you would set-up. So once you set up, you could care less that the illusion wore off, you are ready to sweep.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)