Zoroark (Analysis)

[Overview]
  • Fantastic mixed attacking stats coupled with great speed
  • Extremely frail.
  • Unique ability can be useful.
  • Shallow movepool gives Zoroark a few options, though most are pretty similar.

[SET]
name: All Out Attacker
move 1: Night Daze / Dark Pulse
move 2: Focus Blast
move 3: Flamethrower / Grass Knot
move 4: Sucker Punch
item: Life Orb
ability: Illusion
nature: Naive
evs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
  • This set takes advantage of Zoroark's great mixed attacking stats without the need to set-up.
  • Night Daze and Dark Pulse are both good STAB options. Although you may think that Night Daze will blow your cover, the chanses are that once you've attacked, your cover is blown already.
  • Night Daze has slightly more power and a chance to lower opponents'accuracy. Dark Pulse has a flinch chance and perfect accuracy. Both are useful and which you want to use is a matter of personal preference.
  • Focus Blast provides perfect coverage alongside Dark STAB.
  • Flamethrower gets good super-effective coverage, though Grass knot allows you to take on Bulky waters more reliably.
  • Sucker Punch is a nice STAB Priority that allows you to pick off weakened opponents.

[ADDTIONAL COMMENTS]
  • Zoroark can run Extrasensory to hit Fighting-types harder, though they are not as common as in OU, which hampers its usefulness.
  • Zoroark doesn't have many other options for this set outside of Hidden power, although he gets enough coverage as it is.
  • Expert belt can be used to improve Zoroark's longevity or bluff a choice item, but it really needs all the power it can get, to score KOes on neutral hits.
  • Although Illusion seems like you can trick the opponent really well and nab an extra KO or two, there are two things that really hinder Illusion's potential. The first is Team Preview as once your opponent sees a Zoroark, they're going to keep an eye out for it. The second is the fact that illusion doesn't disguise the health bar. As a result, entry hazard damage and the amount of damage that your pokemon have taken earlier in the game will often betray Zoroark's true identity. As a result it is generally not worth the extra effort to try and pass Zoroark as some other specific pokemon, rather just use him due to his great stats.

Coming soon...

• Choice
  • Nasty Plot
  • Other Options
  • Checks and Counters

JockeMS

formerly SuperJOCKE
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Yet another one thinking Illusion breaks when there's entry hazards. It doesn't... Neither does status, Life Orb, Substitute or weather. What's the point if it would?

JockeMS

formerly SuperJOCKE
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Yeah, same thing with Spikes, but it doesn't break Illusion, it just gives it away that it is Zoroark and not Zapdos. He needs to say why it "kinda breaks" Illusion in that case.

@FoxxyGrandpa, Exactly. I don't mean it literally breaks, its just really hard to keep your illusion in your opponent's mind with hazards etc., especially mid or late-game, where Zoroark is most effective and should be used, when most of your pokes have taken some damage. I tried to make that clear, but I'll probably reword it.

Yeah, in UU, the only fighting type he can disguise himself as is Heracross. But really, the point I'm trying to make is that you shouldn't be using Zoroark because of Illusion, but because he is a good UU pokemon regardless. Illusion is more of a perk.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
  • Zoroark does not have a shallow movepool. Its got an impressive array of Special Attack moves, strong boosting moves and Sucker Punch. It does have a shallow Physical movepool so mention that.
  • Night Daze is useless. Something as frail as Zoroark can't afford to miss on its main STAB move, ever. It doesn't even provide Zoroark with any specific KOs and its secondary effect is actually inferior to Dark Pulse (flinching > accuracy drop) de-slash it an mention in AC. Mention a 74 atk / 252 SpA / 224 Spe spread with a Modest mention in AC.
  • You give Illusion too little credit. Not many people notice a well played Zoroark while it uses Illusion, especially when you haven't revealed your entire team. The key to using Illusion is disguising as a Pokemon that also takes neutral damage from SR (obviously don't use Pokemon who are weak to SR or resistant to it) and striking when their guard is down. For example, a Pokemon match starts and after a few switches you end with your Mew )that is actually a Zoroark) vs someone's Mismagius . Having not revealed Zoroark yet, it is literally impossible for your opponent to tell if its Zoroark. That is how you make good use out of its ability, by striking when they're guard is down early in the match. You also make good use of their ability by feeding into their paranoia. Not using Zoroark period can get your regular surprise kills if your opponent starts to overpredict. Illusion is an extremely difficult but rewarding ability to use, reword the overview to reflect that please. Trust me, I may full of it, but I speak from experience.
Just so we're clear, you need to add a Nasty Plot, Swords Dance, Choice Scarf and Choice Specs.

I'll approve this when all of the changes have been made.

• Zoroark does not have a shallow movepool. Its got an impressive array of Special Attack moves, strong boosting moves and Sucker Punch. It does have a shallow Physical movepool so mention that.
  • Night Daze is useless. Something as frail as Zoroark can't afford to miss on its main STAB move, ever. It doesn't even provide Zoroark with any specific KOs and its secondary effect is actually inferior to Dark Pulse (flinching > accuracy drop) de-slash it an mention in AC. Mention a 74 atk / 252 SpA / 224 Spe spread with a Modest mention in AC.
  • You give Illusion too little credit. Not many people notice a well played Zoroark while it uses Illusion, especially when you haven't revealed your entire team. The key to using Illusion is disguising as a Pokemon that also takes neutral damage from SR (obviously don't use Pokemon who are weak to SR or resistant to it) and striking when their guard is down. For example, a Pokemon match starts and after a few switches you end with your Mew )that is actually a Zoroark) vs someone's Mismagius . Having not revealed Zoroark yet, it is literally impossible for your opponent to tell if its Zoroark. That is how you make good use out of its ability, by striking when they're guard is down early in the match. You also make good use of their ability by feeding into their paranoia. Not using Zoroark period can get your regular surprise kills if your opponent starts to overpredict. Illusion is an extremely difficult but rewarding ability to use, reword the overview to reflect that please. Trust me, I may full of it, but I speak from experience.
Just so we're clear, you need to add a Nasty Plot, Swords Dance, Choice Scarf and Choice Specs.

I'll approve this when all of the changes have been made.
Alright, I trust your experience and will edit the OP to relfect your advice. Two things, though. What is the alternate spread for? and do you really think I should put in the SD set? I've been trying it lately, and its even worse in UU than it is in OU.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
The alternate spread gives a significant power boost in Attack and Special Attack while giving you enough speed to outspeed neutral base 100's. I don't get see why you like SD, its still a good sweeper with a strong priority move. Sure, while Ankle Sweep is a poor coverage move, remember Zoroark can run a ton of special attacks in its place to deal with some of the strongest physical walls (flamethrower will take out Tangrowth, Grass Knot for Rhyperior etc). I think its good enough to be the 4th or 5th analysis listed.

The alternate spread gives a significant power boost in Attack and Special Attack while giving you enough speed to outspeed neutral base 100's. I don't get see why you like SD, its still a good sweeper with a strong priority move. Sure, while Ankle Sweep is a poor coverage move, remember Zoroark can run a ton of special attacks in its place to deal with some of the strongest physical walls (flamethrower will take out Tangrowth, Grass Knot for Rhyperior etc). I think its good enough to be the 4th or 5th analysis listed.
Okay then, that sounds good. I'll get on with writing this up.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
also mention to never ever use Zoroark as a lead. That is the noobiest thing I still see on the ladder, and while you might get lucky and surprise the opponent, I'd rather make sure I surprise the opponent, not hope I get lucky and surprise them. Also, Zoroark doesn't even do much in the lead position except Nasty Plot and get forced out...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)