Murkrow (Analysis) [QC: 0/3]

Murkrow

[Overview]

• Rather usless in Generations 2-4, as it was either outclassed or just plain bad.
  • Now has access to an amazing ability in Prankster.
  • Made even better by the Eviolite, which signifigantly boosts its defenses.
  • Typing and Moveset that is very capable of defeating physical threats.
  • Needs to fight to not become outclassed by similar pokemon such as Xatu and Sigilyph.

[SET]
name: The Parish Trap
move 1: Perish Song
move 2: Mean Look
move 3: Roost
move 4: FeatherDance / Taunt / Substitute
ability: Prankster
item: Eviolite
nature: Calm
evs: 252 HP / 120 Def / 136 SpD

[Set Comments]
  • Very good at disabling and TrapKilling many different opponents.
  • Taunt prevents the opposing pokemon from Roaring you or just setting up in general.
  • FatherDance mitigates physical threats, making the kill easy
  • Works extremely well coming in on a resisted choiced attack, or any pokemon without U-Turn/Volt Switch and the like

[Additional Comments]
  • Screens are again, very much appreciated
  • When/If running taunt instead of FeatherDance, you can add more to Defense and less to Special Defense.
  • Make sure that the opponent does not have U-Turn/Volt Switch/Roar/Whirlwhind etc, because it could ruin the entire surprise and kill any chances of Murkrow landing a kill.

[SET]
name: Pranking
move 1: FeatherDance
move 2: Roost
move 3: Toxic
move 4: Taunt / Haze
ability: Prankster
nature: Calm
evs: 252 HP / 120 Def / 136 SpD

[Set Comments]
  • Meant to abuse not only Murkrow's ability, Prankster, but also the Eviolite. Prankster means that Murkrow can hit Featherdance/Haze before the opponent has a chance to attack, while also giving advantages with Roost, Mean Look, and Toxic.
  • Fantastic at countering physical threats. Feather Dance renders them useless, as they have little to no chance in landing a KO with -2/-4/-6 attack.
  • Roost lets Murkrow effectively Toxic stall the opponent.
  • Feather Dance and Haze remove the chances of Murkrow being set up on.
  • Haze is great for putting Murkrow in on something that has already set up. Taunt allows Murkrow to become a pretty good stall-breaker, making it easy for him to outstall the stallers.

[Additional Comments]
  • Screens are always appreciated, as they can very much help murkrow if it hasnt gotten a Feather Dance in yet. Uxie is a great choice, as it is one of the best Screeners in the tier while also having decent synergy with Murkrow. Xatu could also help in setting up screens while also blocking opposing Taunts and Tricks. However, Xatu and Murkrow have rather poor synergy together.
  • Having a good special wall is essential to help Murkrow in dealing with Special Sweepers. Chansey is a good choice, and there are plenty of others out there.
  • Tauntless Murkrow can not take on Rest Talkers. At all. Period.
  • Gastrodon and Murkrow make great partners. Gastrodon can remove Victini, as well as Poison and Steel types with ease. Murkrow can come in on grass types and most of the time, simply use Toxic and keep Roosting. Gastrodon can also take Electic attacks aimed at Murkrow.
  • Spike support is amazing for Murkrow, as it makes it a lot easier for him to wear down the opponent.

[Other Options]
  • Weather support (Taunt, RD/SD, Twave) could be very effective due to Prankster.
  • Also has Whirlwind, Thunder Wave, and Protect, which may prove useful.
  • Thanks to Prankster, Rest/Sleep Talk will always go first, although Murkrow probably shouldn’t be attacking anything and it isnt really defensive enough to pull it off without Feather Dance.
  • Thunder Wave could also be used for something.

[Checks and Counters]
  • Most Special attackers, particularly with Super Effective moves are large threats to Murkrow.
  • Victini can come up on a weakened murkrow and V-Create it to death easily.
  • Crocune is a huge threat to Murkrow,without taunt, as it can Rest of statuses and be completely oblivios to everything Murkrow can throw out there. Even with Haze, Crocune is always a great counter.
  • Other Bulky, Defensive pokemon (Especially Rest Talkers) such as Milotic and Deoxys-D can really throw Murkrow around because of their quick way to eliminate Toxic, Murkrows only damage dealing chance.
  • Steel and Poison types also completely wall Murkrow. (However, for all psychical variants, Murkrow can Feather Dance them a few times to make an easy killing for a lot of other pokemon.

I was thinking of making whether support a set but most likely other pokemon can do it better. I will definitely try it out though and see what results I get.
I am accepting all feedback because although I've been playing with Murkrow for a while there could be something I've completely missed.

(Yes I know I spelled Perish wrong in the title. Its a play on words. Perish Trap, The Parent Trap, The Parish Trap)

prem

failed abortion
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
perish trap should get a set imo. its very good at trapping and killing things not named xatu

-perish song
-mean look
-roost
-taunt / feather dance

it kind of has 4 ms syndrome but still

Okay I'll try that and see if I can figure out the optimal spread and stuff. Thanks though! I was considering including Perish Song but I thought people would find it too gimicky

Woodchuck

actual cannibal
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
i wanted to write murkrow :(
but whatever i'll just help

okay, the main set should look like this

move 1: Feather Dance
nature: Bold
evs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 SpD

Mean Look is pretty useless without Perish Song, and Priority Taunt + Toxic for stallbreaking is too good to pass up. Taunt already stops setups so Haze should be the second option.

My EV spread basically hits the bonus point in Defense and then pours the rest into Special Defense as Feather Dance will cover the physical side; I'm pretty sure mine is a more efficient use of EVs than yours. Is there any reason for your spread?
EDIT: Besides, you're missing four EVs :/ minor nitpick but still
my spread also trolls Download users as it has less Defense than Special Defense.

I'm also third-ing the perish trapping set as Murkrow can both break walls with it as well as halt sweeps with priority Perish Song. It also screws over Baton Pass too :3

i wanted to write murkrow :(
but whatever i'll just help

okay, the main set should look like this

move 1: Feather Dance
nature: Bold
evs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 SpD

Mean Look is pretty useless without Perish Song, and Priority Taunt + Toxic for stallbreaking is too good to pass up. Taunt already stops setups so Haze should be the second option.

My EV spread basically hits the bonus point in Defense and then pours the rest into Special Defense as Feather Dance will cover the physical side; I'm pretty sure mine is a more efficient use of EVs than yours. Is there any reason for your spread?
EDIT: Besides, you're missing four EVs :/ minor nitpick but still
my spread also trolls Download users as it has less Defense than Special Defense.

I'm also third-ing the perish trapping set as Murkrow can both break walls with it as well as halt sweeps with priority Perish Song. It also screws over Baton Pass too :3
Oh sorry I didn't know :(

And I'll put in everything you said.
Edit: Yea the reason I had mine before was I was making Murkrow more of a definite physical wall instead of an all around. But I'll start trying out yours because it looks more efficient.

I know, Im working on the perish song set. Give me a little time lol...

Super Mario Bro

All we ever look for
252 HP / 80 Def / 176 SpD Bold is inefficient

252 HP / 136 Def / 120 SpD Calm has the same stats but with one more point in SpD. However, I really do recommend switching the spread to 252 HP / 120 Def / 136 SDef Calm, as this spread reaches a bonus point in SpD.

Woodchuck

actual cannibal
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
252 HP / 80 Def / 176 SpD Bold is inefficient

252 HP / 136 Def / 120 SpD Calm has the same stats but with one more point in SpD. However, I really do recommend switching the spread to 252 HP / 120 Def / 136 SDef Calm, as this spread reaches a bonus point in SpD.
Alright, go with that then.

Maybe mention subroost set? prioity subs are good (or mention sub on both set?)?
Sure he can Subroost but so can virtually all of the other flying types in the tier. The priority is nice but he just gets outclassed by a lot of other things...

FlareBlitz

Relaxed nature. Loves to eat.
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I would also strongly recommend changing the nature on Featherdance to 252/252 Bold. Even at -2, a lot of the things still do absurd amounts of damage to Murkrow; CB Rhyperior cleanly ohkos, for example, and Ice Shard Mamoswine 2hkos. This isn't the case with 252/252+ Bold; Murkrow can beat CB Rhyperior one on one (assuming you don't switch into a stone edge...) and mamoswine's first ice shard doesn't do enough damage to let it 2hko. This also applies to things that can hit Murkrow SE on its roost (such as Heracross).

Also, SubRoost definitely deserves a mention. Substitute/Toxic/Roost/Taunt. It's not outclassed because it basically has infinite speed against anything without priority, something zapdos, moltres etc. can't claim.

I really think that Sub should be mentioned on the PerishTrapper set. It helps you stall out much longer.
What out of the following could be replaced with sub:

Perish Song
Mean Look
Roost
FeatherDance / Taunt

All 5 are by far the best options. Take any one out for Sub and it actually damages Murkrows chances.

I would also strongly recommend changing the nature on Featherdance to 252/252 Bold.
And with this that makes 4 different EV Spreads that have been brought up. I'll try to test all 4 of them but all of these are giving me a headache so I'll start testing again tomorrow.

Thanks for all the help guys

Include the ability on each of the sets since Murkrow has to use Prankster for these sets to be successful. I could also see Substitute and Protect being used on the Perish Trap set. On topic, a teammate that can Baton Pass Defence and Special Defence is appreciated.

What out of the following could be replaced with sub:

Perish Song
Mean Look
Roost
FeatherDance / Taunt

All 5 are by far the best options. Take any one out for Sub and it actually damages Murkrows chances.
It should be slashed next to FeatherDance and Taunt.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)