2011-12 Football/Soccer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
meh i would not do championship fantasy football. i know not much about the players

and man utd glory hunters?
we dont need to hunt it, we worked up to it, unlike chelsea and man city who just buy it

Then gl against barca today

Also liverpool 2-0 valencia. Happy to win even though I had a bet that we were going to concede another three in a pre-season friendly

Venom

red eyes no visine
is a Team Rater Alumnus
I like how United fans feel the need to keep pointing out Barcelona's two pre-season losses(Chivas and Man United), while conveniently missing out the point that their two best players(Xavi and Messi) and half their first team have been out of those games. Still crying about the Champions league humiliation.
I'm not a Chivas fan or anything, I go for Cruz Azul. But if you noticed, the match was pretty much bench vs bench. If Chivas's goalkeeper Michel was the only one that was the "veteran" on the side of Chivas and had many of the young mexicans that played in the World Cup.

But yeah, as a United Fan, I will always rub Barcelona losing it in anybodys face.

Was a decent game deserved win for United.

What i don't get is Mancini's insistence to try and get Balotelli to be one of key players in the team. Yes he is talented and fairly young but they have pretty much unlimited money and there are players that are available who are just as good if not better and as young as him without the shitty attitude.

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
i guess it might be a countrymen thing between mancini and balotelli. i've never been impressed by balotelli during his time at City. I hear he did great things in Italy but he obviously can't adjust to the english game. this will be his last season in england, i'm sure of it.

anyway, always good to see Man City lose.

is it even worth pointing out that Utd buy their success just as much as everyone else..?

YAY FOOTBALL AGAIN. Watched West Ham - Cardiff, most of it anyway. So I missed the goal. It was in lovely HD though. Also watched, err.. Southhampton - Leeds and Bristol Rovers - AFC Wimbledon. I am forming an affection for the gas. Southhampton deservedly dicked Leeds. I am mildly disaffected that kerdiff won their first game :( but lol fat sam

also scott parker was shit?

how do they buy thier success? they spent more this window then usual to try and get more champions leagues but more to replace all the retirements, most of united's success is mainly with BARGAIN BUYS and youth, not buying a mass of stars
meh HD 3D is where it is at :P

A lot of United's success is down to spending, in comparison to the really rich clubs like Madrid,Chelsea and City it doesn't look a lot but they spend a lot more then pretty much anyone else.

The fact that they are even been considered to pay probably 30m on Sneidjer after spending a fortune already this season just proves it. I doubt they would be anywhere near as successful without all that spending.

They had no problem shelling out 18m on a fairly unproven keeper, most clubs couldn't even afford to drop 18m on any player and if they did that's all they would get to spend in the transfer window.

Just put a cheeky £5 on Suarez to be the premier league top goalscorer, e/w (top 4), figured he's in the best position provided he doesn't take a nasty injury. Just hoping that Liverpool don't concentrate all their squad on supporting Carroll and ignore Suarez (easily one of the top EPL strikers imo)...

Put a few quid on Brighton to beat Doncaster as well, very upset when Billy Sharp got that early strike, but Doncaster can't look after a clean sheet, never mind hold onto a win.

Regarding the Community Shield, I'd have loved for Man City to win, just to knock Man U down a peg, but I bet on Man U anyway, it was obvious afaic...

spending a big sum on ONE or TWO players is not the same as buying 6 or 7 at those prices. united have had a 1 off with retirements and the glazers acctually releasing some cash

There is no point trying to deny that whatever big club you support is spending big to keep up. Even Arsenal are trying (albeit poorly) to flash some cash.
Man U have spent big to replace retirees, Man C have spent big so they aren't shit anymore, Chelsea spend big because abromavich wants everything, and Liverpool have spent big so they can challenge again.
In the current climate you have to spend big to have a chance of winning something, so there is no point bitching about it / trying to deny that X team doesnt (unless you support someone like everton who don't have any money whatsoever)

To me the best EPL teams are Arsenal and Everton if you look at how much they spends and the consistent results they yield.

that isn't the point. the point i was making is the united have got there and stayed there without throwing cash around like confetti EVERY SEASON.
most of the team fo 99 were home grown.
united do spend the cash but they spend it on young players 9/10 rather then established ones
look who played today, so9me we bought some we didn't but quite a chunk of the future england team is there
welbeck, cleverly as home grown. as well as rooney, smalling, jones and ashley young.

Havak

I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
While getting into the whole 'who spends the most?' argument isn't something I want to do, I'll defend the club I support somewhat. Net-spend wise, Manchester United have actually spent the 6th highest since the introduction of the Premier League in 1992 (fifth from 2003 onwards only). Chelsea, Manchester City, Liverpool, Tottenham, and Aston Villa have all spent more overall. However, I'm sure the Cristiano Ronaldo sale will be brought up, so it's a mute point. Chelsea and Manchester City would still be higher, at least (although United earn the most so spending the most would generally be the case..) Regardless, mega spending by Chelsea and City is something nobody wants to see, I think we'd all agree? (And Real Madrid).

The Community Shield was a good game to watch. It was dominated by United for the most part, but in City's 10-or-so minute spell they took their chances and were somehow 2-0 up at half-time. I'll admit I was thinking Man City had the capacity to defend that lead and win, but from United's movement and passing in the first half, breaking through multiple times in the second half wasn't surprising. Very impressed with the youngsters. Beating Man City in injury time yet again is just as satisfying was beating them heavily.

I know a lot of people will say "It's only the Community Shield", "Nobody cares" etc. But if Manchester City won this game, we'd probably never hear the end of it and the "Community Shield winners =/= Premier League winners" speculation would reach a new high. They got dominated today, so they could have a long way to go if they think they can win the Premier League. Maybe they're still far off full fitness? Maybe they just had a bad day? But I can't see how many fans can believe Manchester City are as likely to win the Premier League as Manchester United after today. They have a lot to prove throughout the season now - but I think they'll still finish third if they manage the extra fixtures correctly.

Entered the Fantasy League by the way, quite happy with my team but I may have to buy Nani or Young if they keep performing like they did today..

Havak

I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Get Nani now dude, you know he's gonna shoot up in value if he's in form.
Yeah lol.

My first instinct was the competition for places between Nani, Young, Valencia, and Park would mean his actual time on the pitch wouldn't be worth it.. So I managed to get N'Zogbia, Tim Cahill, and Modric instead (with Rooney and Suárez up front). It's also the reason I didn't buy Drogba or Torres (lol), because I think it'll be one or the other most of the time, not both.

I'll try to figure out a way to get Nani I think..

Edit: Swapped Cahill and Jarvis for Nani and De Jong.

I'd get nani in a heartbeat if I knew he'd start, he became a sub end of last season with Valencia coming back though and now has Young to contend with.

Yeah, nani is a tough choice for a fantasy team spot. it's not a question of whether or not he's the best man for the job for united, but seeing how ferguson handles his team, shuffling will be in action, and for 10 pts.. i want an every week starter.

on a side note, im hoping for a great season from VDV, K Davies, and Adam.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)