the do you do music thread

Zystral

めんどくさい、な~
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
i also forgot to mention i have grade 8 guitar exam on friday afternoon.
wish me luck?

Borrowed some automatic recorder from a friend today. Tried it out earlier, not the highest quality in the world but it sounds alright. It's a bit fiddly to use and requires the song to be stapled together after the fact but because my brother is a fucking amazing editor there's no troubles there. Also I should be attempting grade 6 or 7 guitar around October-ish time :)

Good Luck Zystral :) I'll try and do a Recording of me Playing Trombone and Euphonium and Singing hopefully when I get back to school. We've got plenty of recording equipment, and I've got a few friends who work with the staff on recording and stuff so in September/October I might be able to upload something

Eraddd

One Pixel
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Like most asians, started when I was little. I quit because I fucking hated practicing songs that I disliked. Now, when I do play, it's either for my church, or for myself. I like to play a wide variety of songs, from music from Final Fantasy, to Mozart (love his sonatas).

At the moment, I'm really into the classical scene. One of my favorites right now is the Piano Quintet No.2 in A Major by Antonin Dvorak. My iPhone contains a wide variety of songs, from Creedance Clearwater Revival, to 2pac, to music from various video games and remixes, to some jazz. It really depends on the mood I'm in what I listen to.

My brother and I are both very musical- we're twins so we both started piano at age 5 and quit shortly after middle school- I'm grateful I have that background, though, because its helped me with other instruments and has given me the foundation for most of my music theory knowledge. Our school music teacher convinced us to take violin and viola (I played violin) but I only did that for a couple of years before I sort of lost interest. My brother and I both decided to pick up some actually "cool" instruments (this was before I realized that I could really use a decent keyboardist and violinist but w/e), so I got a guitar and my brother decided to be a little hipster and picked up the mandolin. He also plays drums now, which is awesome because periodically we'll just jam out, him on drums and I on guitar. My primary axe is my Epiphone Dot Studio (basically a poor man's ES-335) which I love to pieces. I feel I should name it but I've never gotten around to it, although typing this up is making me want to pull up some baby names.

My brother and I like radically different music- we both like anime theme songs (lol) but literally about 80% of his iPod is The Who and the other 20% other classic rock, peppered with songs he got when he was 10 that he probably is embarrassed to admit he has. I like alt rock and things like the Smiths, Pearl Jam, Muse and stuff like that.

We barely ever record anything, but I'll see what we can do- I might edit this with some recordings. The previous one we did of Don't Say lazy was such shit (rock band microphone, neither of us willing to sing) that I really don't want to share it.
Okay so we did end up recording something. This is just a chord progression I came up with that we like to jam to, but with embellishments and effects and what have you. My brother played the drums and the piano, and I did both guitar parts. It was recorded using GarageBand and a Rock Band USB Microphone. Hope you like, and that you won't be shy to post anything either.

Surprised not see many drummers/percussionists here. I've played drums on the side for 3 years and enjoy it a lot. Started with a crummy acoustic kit but now have some Rolands and I love them to death. Take lessons once a week, though lessons are a loose term since they're really just jam sessions with some baseball talk mixed in.

Also played Guitar, Piano, and Trombone, but gave up on all three.

@smith: i gave it a listen. i like the chord progression and dynamics of the recording very much -- you guys do a good job of building the song up. i also like how the clean tone on the guitar sounds, though i think i would've gone for a subtler phaser effect on the piano. good stuff!

my buddy Charles and I have been working on a few songs for a chiptune EP we'll be putting out by the end of september, here's the one song we released as a 'joke' that ended up being pretty good

http://soundcloud.com/awesomecat/capacity-black-yellow-lsdj

and some more of his stuff (i havent gotten around to finishing much since we havent been able to work together in person on anything, but expect a silph co remix and a zora's domain remix as well as some original shit under that name!)

http://soundcloud.com/awesomecat/yellow-virus-catdance

http://soundcloud.com/awesomecat/blue-virus-the-most-tiniest

edit: oh yeah i play bass and some piano too.

I'm a vocalist if that counts, think of high pitched vocals in the vein of Rob Halford, Chris Cornell, or King Diamond and you have a good feeling how I sound like. A buddy of mine plays guitar and we're in a "band", but it is more of a side thing at the moment and factoring in that we do not have a bassist or drummer for our "band" playing traditional / thrash metal, everyone around here is interested in modern metalcore / deathcore or want to be in your typical we want to get rich band.

I play electric guitar, and have been doing so for just under two years. Quick rig list:
1. PRS SE Custom 24
2. Line 6 Pod HD400 (love this thing. Line 6 modellers are good, which makes me wonder why the amps suck so much)
3. A 30 watt tube amp I built myself. Used a guide to help me along of course.

I also have an Epiphone Les Paul Special II (eh) and a Roland Micro Cube (decent for what it does). When I first started playing, I was into Metallica, U2, R.E.M., and a few others. I started out playing the easiest stuff, and then I just sort of built on that. Unfortunately, while I can play a lot of stuff off a tab, my music knowledge is crap.

My first time playing live was actually somewhat recently. It was a smallish setting, but there was a small music thing downtown where I live. What I ended up doing was (sorta) playing three songs by Animals as Leaders. In order, they were "Soraya", "On Impulse", and "Point to Point". By sorta, I mean that I could play the main parts on all of them, but the solos in Soraya and On Impulse are simply beyond me, so I made my own solos that fit the song but were less complex. This was where I wish I had some music know-how, as I could either improvise my way out of it or at least not spend so much damn time writing the things. On top of that, I had someone I know isolate the drum tracks, and then had him slow it down to like ~85 percent of the original tempo. In the end, I think it helped, and people still liked it.

I'd have to say the first half of Soraya was a roadwreck. Nerves got to me, and I couldn't really get into a rhythm. At one point I completely stopped and just listened to the drum track. After a bit, I was in business. On Impulse went really well, and I was proud of the solo. Point to Point was something to close up on, and it went pretty well too, except for me screwing up a chord on the slow ending. Overall, I think people really liked the change of pace from the power chord-heavy traditional rock (which we had lots of that day) to something a bit more jazzy.

very cool man. to the guitarists in here: do you guys use effects pedals and if so, what do you use/what have you got your eyes on? i've gotten my hands on some pretty nice pedals over the years (mostly from my dad when he ends up not using them). here's what i have on my pedalboard:

ibanez tubescreamer -- use this pretty much all the time, love it. i get a great smooth overdriven sound out of it that reminds me a bit like dinosaur jr.
marshall shredmaster -- recently got this and i've been trying it out over a zyvex fuzz factory. jonny greenwood uses this pedal and you can hear it on creep. really cool dirty-crunchy overdrive.
mxr carbon copy -- analog delay that i mostly use for slapback and self-oscillation
boss ddr 7 (digital delay) -- not that familiar with it. it's got a cool reverse effect that i've been meaning to play around with
boss ddr 5/tap tempo -- another delay, mostly used for dotted eight notes
boss rv-3 (digital delay/reverb) -- i use this mostly for the reverb and drowning my guitar for a more ambient sound
boss rc-2 loop station

also thought i'd share this video in case there are any other pedalheads in here. it's a demo of death by audio's robot guitar pedal. it's worth watching even if you're not for the cool riff he does with the arpeggiator at the end (around the 4:00 minute mark).

and finally, i've been thinking about trying my hand at building my own pedals for a while now. this is a pretty cool video i found related to that -- this guy has done a bunch of neat electronics videos.

just thought i'd share.

As far as effects pedals are concerned, I don't have a ton of experience. I used to borrow my friend's tubescreamer, and you're right, it is a neat piece of equipment. I also used a nice Boss reverb pedal (not sure what it was) when I was jamming at said friend's house. I also tried about a Boss multi-effects unit, but it sucked ass.

I don't use pedals often, but I can generally use my POD's effects and get at least an alright sound on it.

Zystral

めんどくさい、な~
I started off not liking pedals for thinking they were iffy, but lately I have gotten used to them. I don't do anything cool like building my own or multi-rigging, I just buy stuff from Boss even though they are pretty shit quality.

I tend to stick with an Acoustic Simulator pedal and your standard Blues Driver. I dislike going for fancy effects like delay and stuff, I tend to leave most of it up to my hands.

I play a lot of instruments. When I was 11 I joined the school band playing the trumpet. Then when I was 13 I switched over to French Horn (which I suck at) and then at 14 I switched to tuba. The tuba is the instrument I'm most skilled at, as well as my favorite instrument. I also play piano and drums.

I am one of those lame people who only plays guitar. I have a vintage '87 Washburn acoustic (love it) and a Fender strat (hate it.) I will get a Gibson Les Paul Standard some time in the distant future when I actually have money.

I honestly wish I could play guitar or drums because we all know you at the very least look like you're having fun doing that shit. However, I just play soprano clarinet, and I have since the 6th grade - Right now we're preparing for the marching season at our high school. We have some top-notch stuff we have to do, so its some pretty hard work. Those outside of America or don't have a marching band - we have to memorize several tunes, most of which involve marching and maneuvers which require timing. Doing a straight week of that shit for eight hours of day is tiring, but hey, I have a lot of fun playing, and I would like to say that I'm pretty good for a freshman I guess :p

A cousin of mine has been doing hip-hop for quite a few years now, and me and a few friends joined up with him and created a little amateur group called PLC (painted lizards crew). We've even thrown our first concert in a local bar around here! I only sing a few verses though, we've written some songs as a group but most of them are written by each of us individually. Right now I am working on our first album's cover art. (also working on my cousin's second album's cover.)

Being rap/hip hop it seems kinda useless linking to the songs seeing as it is a kind of music which depends a lot on the lyrics and I doubt anyone here even grasps more of portuguese than just "batalhar". but, here's a song:

http://youtu.be/LULHdOT77M4 from my cousin vipe mc's first album, a classic

for some reason I can't upload anything to the web otherwise I'd also link to our first released song.

EDIT: here's a pic of our first gig tho :toast:

i'm the third guy from the left. our group is the first 4 people from the left plus three more guys who aren't in the pic

doomsday you should definitely post a song if you can figure it out as i'd love to check it out. the pic of the show looks legit.

@zystral: hope your examination went well! how did it go? did you nail it?

Zystral

めんどくさい、な~
so it turns out the results of my exam don't come for another 2 weeks.

but I think I probably passed, since I didn't make any mistakes that I knew of.,
what was stupid though was during the improvisation, I made something up, but the examiner though it was arleady something else so he said "okay, now improvise please" and I just wanted to punch him.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)