VGC 2011 Regionals and Nats warstory: Because maybe somebody will read it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Atlanta Regional, 1st place Warstory

So, the idea for going to VGC this year came up *a while back when destinybond, meztips, and I were in school. *The nearest regional was in Atlanta (about 12 hours from south Fl) so it seemed unlikely we would be able to go. *Thankfully, dbond's parents were willing to take the 3 of us up to atlanta for dbonds birthday so we could compete at regionals, my parents then greenlighted it and I was able to go. *Prep never really started until after the western regional, after which Deaglebeagle began to help us with our teams, The original team he gave us consisted of Thundurus, Drudigon (later haxorus), Tornadus, Scrafty, Terakion, and Musharna. *The team was extremely standard and was very easy to use. *However, about a week before the regional Deagle decided i should change my team, so with little prep I changed it to the following (dbond and meztips kept the old team)

Torunerosu (Tornadus) (M) @ Flight Gem
Trait: Prankster
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Acrobatics
- Tailwind
- Protect
- Substitute

Warubiaru (Krookodile) (M) @ Chople Berry
Trait: Intimidate
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Crunch
- Earthquake
- Protect
- Low Sweep

Borutorosu (Thundurus) (M) @ Charti Berry
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Thunderbolt
- Protect
- Substitute
- Hidden Power [Flying]

Urugamosu (Volcarona) (M) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Flame Body
- Bug Buzz
- Heat Wave
- Protect
- Quiver Dance

Mushaana (Musharna) (M) @ Sitrus Berry
Trait: Telepathy
Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Trick Room
- Helping Hand

Ononokusu (Haxorus) (M) @ Rock Gem
Trait: Rivalry
- Dragon Dance
- Rock Slide
- Protect
- Dragon Claw

I far preferred this team to the old one so I began to use it, the standard set up was Tornadus Haxorus in front and Thundurus Krookodile in back, with the other two used only when needed as a counter to specific pokes.

So after a week of prep meztips, dbond and i got in the car and made the journey up to Atlanta, ev'ing in the car and finishing up our teams. *We got there and went to the mall for dinner and then went back to the hotel to get some sleep before the event...

U.S. Southeast Regional - Atlanta

We all got to the convention center a couple of hours early and watched some of the seniors and juniors final matches, after this we got in the long line that would lead to sign ups. *In line the 3 of us met up with jamesdw94 which made the waiting experience far more enjoyable... *The line finally opened up and, after quintuple checking all my pokes had the right items I put my team of 6 in the battle box. *I had no expectations but I did have hopes, I certainly did not expect the outcome of the day. *

Battle #1 - Guthixxx

So this is it, the first battle... I sit down and wait for an opponent, me and Marriland have a quick chat about me having emerald in my gba slot of my ds and then my opponent sits down, I ask him if he is from any websites and he says smogon, this was unerving and I was nervous from turn 1. *I cant honestly say I remember much of the battle other than the fact that he was far more skilled than my round 2/3 opponents, game ended 3-0 with volcarona and krook still standing against scarf vinilluxe. *I stand up, shocked and with a confidence boost.

Battles 2 and 3 are a blur, all I remember is one was a 3-0 and one was a 4-0 and one time my opponent used carracosta. *

All I know for sure is that meztips is through to round 4 as well and dbond has been knocked out somehow

Battle # 4

I am placed against the person who beat jamesdw94 in round 3, I wished to avenge my new friend by beating this kid... *He had a very standard trick room team and lead with 2 trick roomers so after taking out 2 each the battle became a stall with jellicent against half health thundurus and musharna. *After setting up trick room to get rid of his roobushin i was stuck with musharna and thundurus in trick room against a jellicent. *After substitute/ protecting enough times with thundurus to finally get rid of my own trick room I ko'd his jelly with around 25% left and musharna still standing. *

Finalists lounge now and it's time to gather my thoughts and take a bathroom break.
Meztips also made it through to the lounge so we took the short break, at which point I learned that Alaka had been knocked out by some guy in a purple shirt in the urinal next to me, I knew then that he would be a tough opponent and the one to beat. *Me and meztips headed back to the lounge where we sat until the judges were ready. *I was M16 and when the play/bye cards were handed out I got a play, not a big deal. so I went and sat down for my top 32 match

Top 32

I dont remember much about this battle, about all i know is that i won it and it wasnt very close, upon winning I had qualified to go to nationals, which seemed doubtful as the trip would be too expensive. *

Top 16

This match was against some kid in cat ears and a cat tail, weird but whatever. *He lead Scrafty Landorus, me Haxorus Tornadus. *I get up a dragon dance on a predict and it decides the battle almost from turn one. *
Also the landorus was a zoroark, I get up tailwind turn 2 and he trys to sucker punch and i am now set up and ready. *He had a weird scrafty with hi jump kick and rock slide and stuff... *Video was uploaded by dbond from the audience here i end up 3-0ing him and now I am in the top 8... Also worth mentioning meztips is still going strong (he comes into play later)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kABRq1P5a-0

Top 8

I'm on the screen again, and who am I against? Synre of course! *Seeing the seal of the mighty psyducks scared me into being extremely serious for this battle, which in hindsight is kinda dumb for a video game, but yeah... This was a match that I could have lost easily if he had played better...

Blow By Blow in hides
So I lead with my normal 2 and he leads scrafty thundurus. *
Thundurus ko's torndadus and i am down 1 early... i remember telling him my rock slide would do like 70% through charti thanks to rock gem and after kinda denying it, it hits for nearly exactly 70%... I send out my thundurus to fill in for thundurus, he paras my thundurus with his as his dying move, and we are 3-3 scrafty and haxorus go down and its 2-2 i have krook against 2 pokes with good as dead para'd thundurus, this is when the misplay happens synre shadow balls and rock slides as opposed to cc'ing, this would have won him the battle but my chople activates and krookodile wins me my top 8 match, *now i get $600 bucks and a chance to play for the finals...

Top 4- Meztips

Well, meztips, one of the two i drove up with has also advanced to the top 4, the other top 4 match is already happening between the purple shirt kid and some one else, now its time for the most relaxed and haxy battle of the entire tournament... *There was an enormous amount of hax for me and it made the game a much larger win than it should have been... me and meztips were discussing our moves before we made them and if either of us had decided to be dicks and "predict" really well there would have been some uneasy feeling after the match, marriland stands behind us watching the whole time and listening, probably confused why we are telling each other our moves... I burn and flinch his scrafty after getting up a dragon dance and the game ends 3-0, my team kind've countered his due to krook but yeah, the match was pretty bad due to hax... I won and went on to the finals against the kid in the purple shirt...

Top 2 - Harrison Saylor

This was it, my match against the guy who beat alaka, needless to say i was nervous as hell and was prepared to lose, of course, I should have lost, but that comes later... *

If you want a blow by blow its once again in the hides...

So yeah, the finals, I stick with my tried and true team of 4 as it has treated me well in the last battles... Harrison leads with tornadus and amoongus, its tail wind shroom which i hadnt really encountered and we begin with a kill for a kill with tornadus for tornadus. 3-3 i send out thundurus next to hopefully do damage to amoongus and he sends out chandelure next harrison does the unexpected and gets up trick room while i sub and protect to prevent spore... i know im in trouble now... haxorus is outsped and slept and chandelure breaks the sub who hidden powers amoongus for about 65%, haxorus continues to sleep and i sub again to attempt to stall out the tr... sludge bomb breaks the sub and thundurus gets ko'd by heat wave, 2-3, *i send in krook, i protect and barely live a shadow ball with haxorus and i finally wake up to protect and earthquake knocks out amoongus and brings chandy down to its sash, 2-2, *and now tr is gone... the game is in the bag i would think... until terakion... i accept i have lost and do the best possible move, go for double protect and eq... haxorus gets ko'd by rockslide and krook avoids heatwave for a double ko... i win with a krook at about 20% by 10% chance... gg harrison I will see you next year hopefully in finals

The match ends 1-0 from a heat wave miss on harrison's part and a double ko from krookodile... a good game but harrison should have won... Nick McCord raises my hand in victory and after talking to many people I go see a movie and return victorious to the hotel still awestruck... * Next is nationals...

Vgc 2011 US nats, 18th place Warstory - BS MATCHUP HAX

So, due to the free trip to indy, the trip was obviously going to happen, when I got home from atlanta, a new team was made almost immediately

- Substitute
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Flying]
- Protect

Terakion (Terrakion) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Justified
- Close Combat
- Rock Slide
- Sacred Sword
- Earthquake

Mushaana (Musharna) (M) @ Sitrus Berry
Trait: Telepathy
Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Trick Room
- Moonlight
- Psychic

Warubiaru (Krookodile) (M) @ Chople Berry
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 244 HP / 252 Atk / 12 Spd
- Brick Break
- Crunch
- Earthquake
- Protect

Morobareru (Amoonguss) (M) @ Coba Berry
Trait: Effect Spore
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Giga Drain
- Spore
- Rage Powder
- Protect

Sazandora (Hydreigon) (M) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Levitate
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Draco Meteor
- Flamethrower
- Dark Pulse
- Protect

The team did very well for me and literally 4 nights before i left for indy, Deagle Pm'd me and said he thought i needed a new team, so i was like 'challenge accepted' and at 3 a.m. 4 nights before indy i had a new team...

Shibirudon (Eelektross) (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Levitate
- Thunderbolt
- Grass Knot
- Protect
- Flamethrower

Terakion (Terrakion) @ Chople Berry
Trait: Justified
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Rock Slide
- Protect
- Close Combat
- Quick Attack

Ononokusu (Haxorus) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Rivalry
- Dragon Claw
- Rock Slide
- Outrage
- Night Slash

Daikenki (Samurott) (F) @ Wacan Berry
Trait: Torrent
- Ice Beam
- Scald
- Grass Knot
- Aqua Jet

Zuruzukin (Scrafty) (F) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Moxie
- Taunt
- Crunch
- Drain Punch
- Fake Out

- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Flying]
- Substitute
- Taunt

I tried out the team and immediatly loved it and started winning with it, the team countered the nationals metagame very well and worked far better than the team I was using before... This came with a problem though... I was in charge of getting together the old team for both dbond(going to lcq) and meztips (top 4 atlanta) and since i did not have the time to prepare 2 full teams in such a short amount of time i decided to give the team to them to try out... more on that later...

So i get the teams made and fly to indy... i dont get in until after the lcq due to flight delays and also flight times but i learn that dbond has made it through the lcq using my team, which makes me feel the team is just as strong as i had expected... i get to the convention center after everyone is gone and go to get food with dbond and meztips... the swiss round is tomorrow and i am fully prepared...
I get there about 4 hours early due to not being able to sleep and such and also so i can see seniors play and meet up with skarmbliss people, this was one of the best times of the trip and i got to hang out a bit with en fuego, metabou, saphire birch, zeroxjustice, ryuzaki, zachdro and others, *also me an harrison (2nd place in atlanta) met up since we had been texting and stuff in preperation for nats, as the line opens up i see one kid wearing a 1st place medal, and since all the other regional winners had been accounted for i figured it must've ,been wolfey, at which point i introduced myself, which was cool and stuff, so i get in line, pass the hack check and wait for round one...

Battle 1 - ZeroWing

So round one i see i am against a certain paul hornack which just makes me a bit uneasy, but i stick to my guns in preparation for a tough battle... *

Blow By Blow in hides

Thankfully his team is the team my team aims to counter... i lead scrafty thundurus he leads whimsicott scrafty, we fakeout eachothers non scraftys and turn 2 he gets up tailwind while i hidden power flying the whimsicott for a ko, i drain punch his scrafty who has chople and he crunches my thundurus who lives with 20 hp, 4-3, *he sends in terak to quick attack my thundurus, and drain punches me, i then drain punch his terrak. *3-3, i send in my samurrott and predicting the protect attack his scrafty with scald, as he kills my scrafty with drain punch. 2-3 *I send in scarf haxorus and aquajet to kill terak and outrage to kill scrafty 2-1, *he sends in thundurus and outrage ko's 2-0

battle ends 2-0 and i have just beaten the man i consider to be in the top 5 players, needless to say i get a confidence boost....

1-0

Battle 2 - Meztips

Yay mirror team! not really, this is where i regret not giving dbond and meztips the old team:>, but yeah i mispredict how he will lead and he out plays me, ending in a solid and deserved revenge for meztips...

1-1

Battle 3 - Nick Chinman

Of course i have to play one of my new friend in the swiss round... so yeah, i counter his team well and 2-0 him, really nothing he could have done, he played as well as his team allowed him.

2-1

Battle 4 - Biffster

So now its me against my 2nd regional winner -.-
This was a bad game, turn one thunderbolt crit through my wacan berry on samurott and that prevented me from killing his krookodile, i think it went down to 2-0 but with samurott still alive i would have had no problem winning the battle by a significant margin, oh well...

2-2

Battle 5 - some kid i forget

he had a zoroa plushie, my team countered his, easy 3-0

3-2

Battle 6 - Glen Arnold

Yeah, haxy battle, of course...
2 crucial crits for him (draco meteor crit on thundurus which doesnt kill unless modest and of course wacan berry fails me again with samurott)
he used landorus and thundurus and 2 others and i could have won but both the crits made me play very poorly... I now am pretty sure i wont be continuing to tomorrow...

Battle 7 - Ryuzaki

3rd Regional winner to fight ;_; and i know she's good, my team doesnt counter hers in the slightest and i completely miss the fact that her terrakion is scarfed and make a dumb play assuming it is not scarfed, this play of course crits my haxorus for a hard hit... *but in the end i pull through with samurott and ko her druddigon with about 30% remaining.

4-3

Breakdown of my *battles

3 regional winners
1 mirror team
3 others

4 I played well
2 I got haxed out
1 I lost undoubtedly

and when the final scores are posted I see I get 18th place...

Which would have pissed me off, being so close to 16th but then i see Synre is 17th place with 5-2 and *i feel bad for him ;_; so i get the top 4-3 of all the people, based on opponents win %

3 of my opponents made it to top 16

Meztips, at 7-0 was the number one seed

I accept the loss and after feeling sorry for myself for a very brief while i get over it and just go walk around indy for a while...

Day 2- *

I am not in it and i sleep in a bit so i get there just as the battles are starting, i sit with amarillo and birch and harrison to watch the matches. *Meztips is against tts, and lost 2-0, i then decide to bet on wolfey to win it as i know his team is solid and he is a great predictor. the matches carry on and slowly wolfey advances to the finals... at this point, me meztips, dbond and harrison went with him to get lunch and try to calm his nerves/give him ideas against tts... The lunch was fun and we became very close to wolfey then... Wolfey goes to the finals and more or less dominates tts, he then heads off to camp and me dbond and meztips walk amarillo to catch his bus...

Meztips and dbond then head back to their inferior hotel and i decide to go take one last look at the convention center before turning in for the night... there i see team seniors, saphire birch, *zerpxjustice , babytron:3 and hitmonrocker, we do multibattles and eventually go back to the jw mariott for pizza this was my favorite part of the trip, all the seniors were super nice and saphire birch, zero and i got to talk to hitmonrockers mom about pokemon and stuff while all the seniors went in the hotel pool, when they came back I learned how to play tcg and about 6 hours after meeting up it was around midnight so i turned in to my hotel room, content with my 2011 vgc season and not even mad about my bad luck...

Deaglebeagle deserves a shoutout here, he helped me with everyone of my teams and helped me use his logic and strategies to propell myself to success in regionals and near success in nats... Thanks a ton deagle and best of luck to you and your brother at worlds

I'll pretty this up later, wrote last night from 3-6 am

Great warstory. This season was so much fun with you and mclov...meztips. Watching you bash your way through the top 16 and beyond really made Atlanta for me.
Good job winning the weakest regional, and I can't wait for next year.

Also, needs more pictures and videos.

Great job man! You were an awesome dude, and it was really fun hanging out and battling Sunday night. Hope to see you next year :)

Good job bro. I starting laughing when I saw the Atlanta finals. The whole time I thought the person who got 2nd place had it in the bag. Then I saw that he missed his Heat Wave and started to laugh. That ranking sort of sucks to get because you are so close, but yeah, you could be Synre.

Nostalgic read, and nice to see you got an account here!

It was nice meeting you in Atlanta and then seeing you again in Indy. I'm still kicking myself a little for a pretty bizarre choke against you in Atlanta(I actually managed to misclick IRL and Crunched the wrong target in the middle somewhere, too), but you wound up being a cool dude so that could have been worse, lol. I feel your pain being so close to the cut there, but always next year, eh? I'll probably try and make it down to Atlanta again next year(especially if there is no Midwestern regional again), so hopefully I'll see you there(preferably in some round between top 16 in the finals).

Great read man! So glad I got to meet you has you were super cool! The social aspect is always the best part and I'm glad you enjoyed it has much has I did. I hope to see you next year!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)