Good Leads In UU

I just use whatever will compliment my team the best, etc etc. I don't really plan that I'll have x lead who will accomplish y and z while beating the other lead because with team preview everybody just switches to a counter anyway.

Good Lead

Probopass (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 128 SAtk / 48 SDef
Hardy Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Flash Cannon
- Taunt
- Thunderbolt
Works well for me. Prevents Quiver Dancer and sets up Stealth Rock. I named it Fat Ass.

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Quick question, Killer Fancium, how does that set prevent Quiver Dancing when you fail to do damage to Venomoth after a +1 and he can wear you down with unresisted Bug Buzzes until Sleep Powder and Baton Pass are available again? In fact, if I were sure you weren't carrying something unorthodox like Stone Edge, I'm inclined to switch right in and set up on you.

Quick question, Killer Fancium, how does that set prevent Quiver Dancing when you fail to do damage to Venomoth after a +1 and he can wear you down with unresisted Bug Buzzes until Sleep Powder and Baton Pass are available again? In fact, if I were sure you weren't carrying something unorthodox like Stone Edge, I'm inclined to switch right in and set up on you.
Perhaps a better explanation is why is he running Hardy instead of something like Bold or Modest.

There are also weather teams where weather leads are rather common(Hippopotas/Abomasnow).

Ambipom (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Technician
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Fake Out
- Switcheroo
- Retaliate/Low Sweep
- U-turn

Talk about an insane amount of momentum starting off with a crippled physical wall on Turn 1 as nobody NEVER expects to get switcheroo'd a scarf. Jolly Ambipom is also faster than most tanks even if they have a scarf, so just U-Turn out if they stay in for ridiculous early game momentum.

I love this set more than any other that I've ever thought of completely on my own. It's hard for me to make a team without it because of how effective it is. Ambipom is synonymous with Fake Out, but soon everyone will learn what it's really capable of :naughty:

Ambipom (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Technician
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Fake Out
- Switcheroo
- Retaliate/Low Sweep
- U-turn

Talk about an insane amount of momentum starting off with a crippled physical wall on Turn 1 as nobody NEVER expects to get switcheroo'd a scarf. Jolly Ambipom is also faster than most tanks even if they have a scarf, so just U-Turn out if they stay in for ridiculous early game momentum.

I love this set more than any other that I've ever thought of completely on my own. It's hard for me to make a team without it because of how effective it is. Ambipom is synonymous with Fake Out, but soon everyone will learn what it's really capable of :naughty:
Is scarf fake out REALLY viable?

I use a CB victini and dual screen xatu combo, I usually lead with vicky then uturn to xatu, slower leads like donphan are immediately screwed

I like the sound of that one casey :)

For me it's Scarf Togekiss and SpecsJolt. Scarfkiss haxs Donphan and other non Aerodactyl/Snorlax/Registeel pokes to death, Jolt is a powerful Volt Switcher if the opponent has no Ground pokes.

Registeel is a solid lead in uu. It can set up rocks early and wall a majority of the metagame. It stops ambipom leads pretty well. From my experience, most Ambipoms don't run a fighting move. Registeel is not special, but it does its job well.

whimsicott ): assuming the tier changes have already been made

Perhaps a better explanation is why is he running Hardy instead of something like Bold or Modest.

There are also weather teams where weather leads are rather common(Hippopotas/Abomasnow).
because maybe he didn't bother siwtching it??????????????????????????????????????????????????

Limitless

Success is the best revenge.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
The lead metagame is all but dead in BW OU. Now that you can see your opponent's team and switch Pokemon around, your opponent will more than likely lead with the Pokemon your team appears weak to, or the perfect countermeasure to your dedicated lead. If you don't want to give up earlygame momentum, or get swept right from the get-go, you'll have to do the same. Instead, you should find yourself a reliable supporter to set up Stealth Rock, like Forretress or Ferrothorn, and dedicate the rest of your team slots to offensive and defensive synergy.
I'm not sure I can agree with you. You can't apply this concept to all types of teams, as in HO, you often times want a lead that can set the momentum for you. Whether you have a dedicated lead to setup entry hazards, prevent entry hazards, or dual screen, it definitely allows you to set the momentum of the match in a different way than what you stated. Obviously, in a balanced team, you get momentum by having Pokemon advantage. However, to say that the lead metagame is completely dead is false.

In this meta I really don't care as much about setting up Rocks right away, so I tend to go for a lead who will hit hard right off the bat and pressure. A strong Escavalier or Mamo is nice to just nail the opponent.

i don't bother with designing pokes to work as leads, but generally i lead with deoxys-d. spikes + fast taunt generally work out. if he has a lot of counters to that but no pokes that threaten a grass move, ill lead w/ swampert for rocks. if i see that god-awful crobat with it's light-speed taunt on his team, i lead with chandelure and threaten that disgusting little bat right out. damn crobat is annoying to stall... not that it really threatens anything, but it's just so annoying good god.

i guess what i can pull from that ramble is if you looking for a lead:
not many counter-leads for it > fast taunt > hazards / trick > counters a prominent lead

To everybody saying the lead metagame is dead: Yes. What we knew before is certainly not applicable now.

To everybody who thinks leads aren't very important: No. You're wrong.

Think in terms of lead pairs. A hazard-setter+powerhouse, two utility mons with good synergy, etc.

I like this pair:

Rampardos @ Choice Band
252 Atk/252 Spe/4 Def
Jolly / Mold Breaker

Head Smash
Earthquake
Stone Edge
Crunch/Superpower

Claydol @ Leftovers
252 HP/176 Def/80 SpDef
Bold / Levitate

Stealth Rock
Rapid Spin
Toxic
Earth Power

Ramp can 2hko the bulky psychics Uxie and Deo-D with either his STAB move or Crunch while outspeeding those that focus on bulk, while Claydol can come in on ground and fighting moves to set up your own hazards/spin. Shared weakness to Water and Grass kinda sucks, but Ramp has the defenses of a wet paper bag anyway, so it doesn't matter much.

Toxic spikes Roserade and dual hazard Deoxys-D are always great if you want quick and reliable entry hazards. But then again, I usually end up seeing more offensive leads due to the pre-match viewing of each trainer's teams.

Smeargle@ Choice Scarf

Trick
Stealth Rock
Spore
Lunar Dance

+

Hariyama@Toxic Orb (Guts)
Close Combat
Fake Out
Facade/ Rock Slide
Bullet Punch

Best Leads in this game.

Maybe I'm oldschool, but I still like my dedicated lead Azelf

Definitely on the faster side of things, especially with people giving up their hyper-speed openers. Can hazard, taunt, and U-turn to support, as well as bringing a monstrous fireblast to take out a lot of pesky grass problems.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)