Lanturn [QC 3/3] [GP 2/2]

Komodo

Huff
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

[Overview]

<p>At first glance, Lanturn seems nothing more than an average and easily dismissable Pokemon. When you look at its stats, Lanturn's base 125 HP is its only outstanding aspect; its defensive stats are worse than even Gardevoir's. However, Lanturn's trump card is its excellent typing, and combined with its amazing movepool, Lanturn has the potential to become the number one special-based utility Pokemon. It shares its Water / Electric typing with only one other fully evolved Pokemon in the entire game, Rotom-W, who is safely out of reach in the battlegrounds of OU. This gives Lanturn unique access to two of the best special STABs, key resistances to five types, and a mere 2 weaknesses, albeit to fairly common attacking types, Ground and Grass. Another key to its valuable niche in UU is its ability, Volt Absorb, which enables it to laugh at the futile attempts of Jolteon and Galvantula to make short work of your team. Combined with moves that make it an excellent team player, such as Thunderbolt, Scald, Thunder Wave, Heal Bell, Ice Beam, and Volt Switch, Lanturn becomes an amazing asset to have on your team.</p>

[SET]
name: Special Tank
move 1: Scald
move 2: Ice Beam
move 3: Thunderbolt
move 4: Heal Bell / Thunder Wave
item: Leftovers
ability: Volt Absorb
nature: Calm
evs: 52 HP / 252 Def / 204 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>When looking for a special attacker that can fit into any team and offer support in any situation, look no further than Lanturn's Special Tank set. This set has unbelievably good coverage with Scald, Ice Beam, and Thunderbolt, enabling it to easily dispatch even the trickiest of enemies. Lanturn can OHKO several common UU Pokemon, such as Azumarill, Arcanine, and Steelix, with a super effective move after Stealth Rock damage. Lanturn's great bulk—thanks to its huge HP stat—allows it to tank and absorb some of the strongest moves in the tier and yet remain in good health. Thunder Wave is an excellent support option as it lets Lanturn cripple sweepers, whereas Heal Bell enables it to cure itself and its teammates of pesky status, complementing the mixed defensive spread well and allowing Lanturn to act decisively in any situation.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Lanturn's HP stat is already huge, so the EVs on this set focus on Lanturn's defensive stats. 52 HP EVs reach the nearest Leftovers number, maximum Defense investment helps Lanturn take on weaker physical attackers, and the remaining EVs are placed into Special Defense. Surf can be used instead of Scald, but the latter's 30% burn chance may come in handy to cripple some of the deadliest physical sweepers in UU. If using Thunder Wave, however, Surf would be more advisable to avoid status conflicts. Discharge can be used instead of Thunderbolt, but the power drop is very noticeable, and Thunder Wave is a more reliable means of spreading paralysis.</p>

<p>Without Stealth Rock support, almost all of Lanturn's OHKOs become measly 2HKOs, defeating the purpose of using Lanturn in the first place. In addition, Lanturn will be crippled by many faster Pokemon that have Earthquake. Hence, Flying-types and Pokemon with the Levitate ability work excellently with Lanturn, as their Ground-type immunity grants them a free switch in. Notable Pokemon include Claydol, who can set up Stealth Rock and avoid Earthquake, and Zapdos, who can easily dispatch the annoying Quagsire that walls Lanturn with Hidden Power Grass; both of these Pokemon complement Lanturn's weaknesses well. In exchange, Lanturn resists one of Zapdos's two weaknesses, creating great synergy. Wish support is appreciated as Lanturn lacks any form of recovery outside of Volt Absorb and Rest. Clefable is an excellent Wish passer thanks to its high HP stat, while Leafeon is another option as it shares excellent defensive synergy with Lanturn.</p>

[SET]
name: SubCharge
move 1: Substitute
move 2: Charge Beam
move 3: Surf
move 4: Ice Beam
nature: Modest
evs: 52 HP / 252 SpA / 204 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>SubCharge is an infamous set that makes a return from DPP UU, but it needs to be played more carefully in BW to achieve success. The strategy is to switch in on a weak, Electric-type or support move, set up a Substitute, and then start Charge Beaming for a Special Attack boost. After a few boosts, the combination of Surf and Ice Beam will make short work of most enemies.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>52 HP
EVs allow Lanturn to create 101 HP Substitutes that will not be broken by Seismic Toss, maximum Special Attack EVs give Lanturn some much needed firepower, and the remaining EVs are placed into Special Defense to give Lanturn extra bulk. However, even though Lanturn has the ability to sweep many teams, it can still be walled or outplayed by some Pokemon that can set up on Lanturn. Therefore, careful play is the key to accumulate as many boosts as possible and make a comeback if necessary.</p>

<p>An alternatives to Surf is Hydro Pump, which trades accuracy for massive power. Support from entry hazards is greatly appreciated, especially Toxic Spikes since they discourageslower boosting sweepers from using Lanturn as setup bait. Great partners to provide entry hazard support include Ferroseed, Donphan, and Roserade. An honorable mention goes out to another late-game menace: Flygon. It can switch in on an Earthquake aimed at Lanturn and proceed to continue the sweep with physical attacks instead, easily taking out Pokemon such as Bisharp and Magneton.</p>

[SET]
name: RestTalk
move 1: Rest
move 2: Sleep
Talk
move 3: Scald
move 4: Thunderbolt
evs: 52 HP / 252 Def / 204 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Lanturn's large HP stat enables it to withstand some of the hardest-hitting moves in the game. With RestTalk, Lanturn can absorb status, launch an attack, and heal itself quite easily. While asleep, Lanturn can proceed with Sleep Talk to dish out decent damage. Lanturn received a great gift from BW in Scald, gaining a 30% chance to mess up the best physical sweepers in UU. While Suicune and Milotic might seem to outclass it as a RestTalker, Lanturn's unique typing and ability allows it to stand strong in the face of virtually all special attackers, including Jolteon and Zapdos.</p>

[
ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The HP EVs
let Lanturn's HP reach a Leftovers number, maximum Defense investment allows Lanturn to take physical hits easier, such as Donphan's Earthquake, and the remaining EVs are placed into Special Defense. Pokemon who can switch into attacks that Lanturn is weak to should be considered. Flygon and Crobat can switch into Grass- and Ground-type moves, and can threaten the opponent with their powerful STAB moves. Ice Beam can be used over Scald if you prefer BoltBeam coverage, but you lose the chance to burn switch-ins.</p>

<p>A cleric, such as Chansey, is helpful to wake up Lanturn if it has to switch out, and it can also support Lanturn with Wish. Because this set is so good at stalling the opponent, Toxic Spikes should be considered to wear down Pokemon such as Suicune. Roserade can set up Toxic Spikes and poses a decent threat to Ground-types who try to KO Lanturn.</p>

[SET]
name: Rain Dance
move 1: Rain Dance
move 2: Hydro Pump / Surf / Scald
move 3: Heal Bell / Ice Beam
move 4: Volt Switch
item: Damp Rock
nature: Modest
evs: 40 HP / 252 SpA / 216 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>
Possessing all the tools it needs to take charge of the weather and use it to its full advantage, Lanturn is arguably the best Rain Dance user in all of UU. With excellent typing, a fantastic ability, and great bulk, absorbing Electric-type moves and providing its team with 8 turns of rain is a simple task for Lanturn to accomplish. BW granted Lanturn the amazing move known as Volt Switch, which, thanks to Lanturn's low speed, can be used to bring in a sweeper unharmed.</p>

[
ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EV spread allows it to go on the offense with an immensely powerful rain-boosted Hydro Pump, capable of ripping huge holes in an opponent's team. Lanturn's huge movepool gives it a choice between an offensive role and a defensive one, allowing it to complement its teammates fantastically. Offensively, STAB Hydro Pump and 100% accurate STAB Thunder allow it to quickly repel threats that switch in, possibly gaining it free turns to set up. Alternatively, Scald and Discharge trade power for excellent secondary effects, whilst Surf offers greater damage output; pick the option that best fits your team. Support-wise, Lanturn has Heal Bell, Thunder Wave, Confuse Ray, and Volt Switch; all of which can help your teammates set up to sweep. Ice Beam provides great coverage as well, and Blizzard can be used if hail becomes too rampant.</p>

<p>Lanturn works well
with Dragon Dance Swift Swim Kingdra, who has amazing coverage just through STAB Waterfall and Outrage. Other notable Swift Swim Pokemon include Kabutops, Omastar, and Gorebyss. Ludicolo can abuse Rain Dish and Leech Seed, which turns it into an annoying tank; it can also abuse Swift Swim in order to become a threatening sweeper. Jolteon and Rotom-H also benefit from the rain as it boosts Thunder's accuracy to 100%.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Lanturn can run a parafusion set with Water Pulse and Thunder Wave, but this is less effective in BW since switching is seen more commonly in a tier full of Choice users, such as DPP UU. However, parafusion would complement paraflinch variants of Togekiss very nicely, forming a solid paralysis-spreading core to aid slower sweepers. Lanturn can also be used effectively on rain teams as an all-out sweeper. Lanturn's ability gives it great synergy with most other members of rain teams, allowing it get many free switch ins on Electric-type attacks. With rain-boosted Hydro Pump and 100% accuracy Thunder, it can easily take advantage of the rain to destroy the opposing team. Furthermore, Lanturn has access to Hydro Pump, Thunder, and Blizzard, allowing it to perfectly counter just about every weather out there. Against hail teams, Hidden Power Fire is a great way to dispatch Abomasnow.</p>

<p>With a wide variety of different support moves, Lanturn's set can be catered to fit a team's needs. Other than the options listed above, it also has access to Stockpile, Toxic, and Volt Switch. The latter is especially notable; with a Calm nature and 252 SpD EVs, Lanturn can act as a specially defensive pivot thanks to its low Speed.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Lanturn lacks the bulk to take any Earthquake other than Impish Donphan's. In particular, Dugtrio's Arena Trap + Earthquake combo is absolutely fatal to Lanturn. Grass-types, especially ones with high Special Defense, are great counters to Lanturn. Shaymin is the most notable, but Lilligant, Roserade, and even Abomasnow are huge threats too. However, the latter has to watch out for Hidden Power Fire, especially since Abomasnow can never OHKO Lanturn. Chansey can wall almost every set that Lanturn can run and slowly wear it down with Seismic Toss. Funnily enough, Lanturn also walls itself, so it should be considered an option.</p>

[Dream World]

<p>Lanturn's Dream World ability, Water Absorb, gives it opportunities to switch in against Water-types, such as Suicune. However, Volt Absorb is generally preferred as it allows Lanturn to resist the BoltBeam combo.</p>

Imo Lanturn just doesn't have the stats to pull off a sweeper set. 76 Base SpA just isn't that much. I think the main sets should be:
name: Special Tank
move 1: Surf / Scald
move 2: TBolt / Discharge
move 3: Ice Beam
move 4: Heal Bell / TWave
evs: 40 HP / 192 Def / 100 SpA / 176 SpD
item; Lefties

then perhaps make an Agility set and parafusion?

JockeMS

formerly SuperJOCKE
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Quality Control tag.

And yes, the Special Tank set should be the main set.

Parafusion might work, since it had a OU set last gen. Then maybe the Rain Dance set and RestTalk set might work. And test the SubCharge set too.

I don't think Agility has any use this gen though.

Remove Water Absorb from the main set's slash since its unreleased. Even so, I'd prolly prefer Volt Absorb, over the fact that Lanturn already resists Water and Volt Absorb allows it to resist BoltBeam.

OK, did some changes, but 252 HP really is necessary, nothing else can keep this thing alive as well as that.

Parafusion is bad since you can just switch out, so I might try a variation. Rain Dance has better alternatives (it might work as a tech), but RestTalk and SubCharge are definites. My next set is probably RestPile, where you Stockpile thrice, then Rest, and they can't do a THING. EQ would probably be a 3HKO.

Lanturn is CRAZAY as a Rain Supporter from my experiences. Offers pretty decent synergy and isnt bad in other regards. I would definitely mention this SOMEWHERE in the analysis.

Also yes: SUB CHARGE yo way to victory! I havent tried Stockpile but sounds just plain old fine to me so whatever.

Laturn is the GODDESS of UU/RU/NU/Whatever tier Smogon decides to put it in for the week so please treat is as such.

breh

強いだね
although I seriously doubt Lanturn's effectiveness,
Foxy Grandpa's spread is better. investing in defence is of a higher priority than HP when you have a pokemon with huge HP like lanturn.

Looking for GP approval or general ideas for the given sets, with some general approval, I will start the overview and bulking the analysis up.

Remove surf from the support set, scald is just that good

Remove discharge from the support set. A 30% paralysis rate really isn't worth the reduced damage vs bulky waters like Milotic. AC mention.

Lanturn only needs 52 HP EVs to create 101 HP subs, so only use that amount for the subcharge set and dump the rest into special defense.
Remove the stockpile set. Stockpile isn't a threatening move. It is broken by many setup sweepers and choice users, and it poses no worries at all to stall. OO it.

Expand on why volt absorb is the preferred option in the dreamworld section. Resistance to boltbeam is one of Lanturn's best assets, whereas water absorb is relatively useless as Lanturn already counters every common bulky water.

Make those changes and I'll stamp.

Alright a couple more things:

Remove thunderbolt from subcharge because having STAB water is much more useful than a more powerful electric attack. Expand on the checks and counters section. It's weak to EQ, but what ground types can switch in on a water type? Shaymin is just one example of a grass type that counters Lanturn, but there are a lot more. Magneton loses to scalds.

QC APPROVED 1/3

I still think Restalk is a very useful set. Dealing with Fire-types without any real weaknesses to the other attacks that can be used by the more prominent ones. For example, Arcanine can run Wild Bolt to nail Milotic and other Water-types or Close Combat to nail Snorlax or Rhyperior. Lanturn can take the Fire moves, absorb Wild Bolt, and not be too threatened by Close Combat (though it can't easily switch into two Close Combats). It also helps versus hail, having a somewhat permanent counter is very useful (albeit it has trouble with abomasnow).

Not having the longevity from Restalk is a big detriment to Lanturn's usefulness, in my opinion and experience.

Bulky Grass types make great counters to Lanturn, as they naturally resist Water- and Electric-type moves, and take a pittance from Ice Beam, due to Lanturn's sub-par Special Attack. Celebi and Roserade in particular make great counters as they are basically immune to Toxic (Celebi has Natural Cure), and with their good bulk can easily take multiple Ice Beams and strike back with their powerful STAB Grass-type moves. Abomasnow also destroys Lanturn, as it resists Water-, Electric- and is neutral to Ice-type moves.

Changes are added, ground types can switch into the Special Tank set rather easily, as they nearly all outspeed Lanturn and can pull of the OHKO first. RestTalk does have great potential, but the 58 Def and 76 SpD limit it to only OO mention. Plus lack of Calm Mind.

Discharge can be used instead of T-Wave, however damage lost is noticeable, T-bolt is more recommended
I think you meant T-bolt

so Rocks and Spikes layers are very appreciated. Go Donphan!
A bit misleading, about relating Spikes with Donphan, maybe put "Go Ferroseed!" or something instead

Changes are added, ground types can switch into the Special Tank set rather easily, as they nearly all outspeed Lanturn and can pull of the OHKO first. RestTalk does have great potential, but the 58 Def and 76 SpD limit it to only OO mention. Plus lack of Calm Mind.
That doesn't make sense to me since without Restalk you have even less longevity. Lanturn works off its resists and high HP stat, but without any form of recovery Lanturn is going to drop pretty quickly, and is no longer a reliable counter to:

Victini
Arcanine
Moltres
Azumarill
etc.

Lanturn shouldn't be limited to only being a bulky water switch-in when there are so many other threats that needs to be dealt with.

As it stands I cannot approve it, but maybe other QCers will.

The thing is, it's not used so much to counter but as to threaten. Lanturn has great coverage and can threaten the life of many key attackers. None of the attackers listed above can OHKO a healthy Lanturn, while Lanturn can easily threaten to rip a gaping hole with a powerful special attack that's probably STABed.

When I used Lanturn, the only problem I had was speed. It's bulk was strong enough to take a good deal and return a ton of damage.

It's a cleric, a supporter that happens to be able to utilize some great offense.

What use is Lanturn if it can't switch into anything but defensive Pokemon? There are far more devastating Pokemon that can switch into weak ass bulky waters and random electrics (for a short time if they carry a neutral or SE move).

The special tank gets Heal Bell so it's useful in that way, but weak Ice Beams, Thunderbolts, and Scalds aren't going to do much damage to anything coming in. The offensive sets can do more damage, but defensively Lanturn is very viable. At least the Restalk variant can come in and keep pushing out those Fire and Electric-types.

Other QCers can weigh in if they like, I stand by my decision.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
yeah RestTalk was one of my favorite Lanturn sets last gen (SubCharge the best 9.9), and while I haven't played with Lanturn yet, I see no reason why it wouldn't work this gen either.

Ah, the testimony of two witnesses....I guess I'm beaten n_n

I'll try it out. I dislike using RestTalk due to the chance element of Sleep Talk, but I suppose it can be fine....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)