england riots

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This is what happens when you have a city full of disenfranchised and unemployed young people in a society where status is indicated by what you own. Some kid walking down the street during a protest wants a new pair of shoes and has nothing to lose even if he gets caught. The rich handful of people that "legally" tanked the economy for personal gain at the expense of the lower and middle classes must be laughing to themselves as the poor feed on each other rather than them. It's scary to think that riots of this magnitude can be sparked by a single bullet, that's a pretty chilling indicator of how bad tensions must have been beforehand. I feel sorry for anyone caught in these riots, especially sorry for the victims of violence.

I just want to see what the British government's reaction to this is.

Its rather disgusting how we can go from the riots in the Middle East (Which were against oppresive governments and involved people fighting for freedom, minus the looters) to this BS. Stealing and causing Havoc isnt rioting, its just being stupid on mass levels. Theres no reason, and these people are just complete idiots.

monkfish

what are birds? we just don't know.
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
let's get it straight, these people are simply opportunistic criminal thugs. don't even begin to entertain the notion that there is some kind of political motivation here. the shooting of mark duggan was not a reason, it was an excuse. it's almost completely irrelevant, bar the fact that it acted as a trigger for this explosion of violence - compare it to the assassination of franz ferdinand sparking the first world war. i'd probably go so far as to say that the majority of the rioters could not even name the man who was killed.

i'd also like to reject the premise that this is somehow the fault of the upper class for the recent expenses scandal or welfare cuts. in fact, this article pretty much sums up my opinion on the entire issue

let's get it straight, these people are simply opportunistic criminal thugs. don't even begin to entertain the notion that there is some kind of political motivation here. the shooting of mark duggan was not a reason, it was an excuse. it's almost completely irrelevant, bar the fact that it acted as a trigger for this explosion of violence - compare it to the assassination of franz ferdinand sparking the first world war. i'd probably go so far as to say that the majority of the rioters could not even name the man who was killed.

i'd also like to reject the premise that this is somehow the fault of the upper class for the recent expenses scandal or welfare cuts. in fact, this article pretty much sums up my opinion on the entire issue
"The most striking thing about the rioters is how little they care for their own communities. You don't have to be a right-winger with helmet hair and a niggling discomfort with black or chavvy yoof (I am the opposite of that) to recognise that this violence is not political, just criminal"

This is the exact point journalists (like in this article)going on about context are making. The people in the riots do not care about their community at all, hence why they are willing to trash it. That is the fault of the government.

I'm not condoning the riots, people have died and now it is just a huge mob mentality thing, people hiding in a crowd, they can get away with it because they can, but there is an underlying reason for the riots, it didn't escalate this much just because some chavs wanted some new nikes. Clearly in these areas, communities and the government have invested nothing into the youth, so they have no qualms with fucking the community over in return, they have nothing to lose. Like that article said, Mark Duggan was not the reason for the riots, it was just the spark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biJgILxGK0o

Interview of Darcus Howe. Watch.

I think it is really ridiculous what is happening here, there have been stories of many losses and in some case gains (looking at the looters). For example there is a one about how an 80 year old man lost his furniture shop which stood the 1930s Depression and both World Wars, and having it all burn to the ground.
In other places, people are actually posting on the internet on what they have looted, which is really ridiculous because they seem proud of what they have done.

Was Mark Duggan's killing justified?
Well if he was holding a firearm of any sort, fake or not then fire away. A man who decides to create havoc in society by selling drugs is not a man in my book. England already has an unstable society (as mentioned before) which is based on what you own, so why make it worse?

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

People don't take to the streets for a multi-day long riot just because they are "criminal thugs". If they really were criminal thugs, why would they even wait for an excuse? Why did they choose to do this now instead of at any other point in time? There have been plenty of protests recently without this kind of rioting. More importantly, if you're saying that the thousands of rioters are just criminal thugs, then you have a bigger problem on your hands once the riot stops: there's an entire city full of criminal thugs waiting for an excuse to go on a destruction spree. I didn't mean to imply that this was directly the fault of some upper class conspiracy...I was just referring to a group of recent scandals in England that show Parliament, the police and the media can be bought by anyone with cash to spare, as well as actions which suggest the public's future will always be sacrificed for short term privatized gain. If I recall correctly, they recently skyrocketed the price of college tuition, they had that expenses scandal you mentioned while the public gets austerity measures, and the police were caught taking bribes from Rupert Murdoch's news corporation to hack the phone records of a murder victim. All of that contributes to why a large group of people would continue this behavior for so long. It takes a real asshole to rob a store during a riot, but your complete dismissal of the reasons why this large-scale event is happening was disappointing to read. On an individual level I feel you are right, but as a whole I think you're missing the point and enabling the underlying attitudes that created this riot to spread.

monkfish

there is an underlying reason for the riots, it didn't escalate this much just because some chavs wanted some new nikes. Clearly in these areas, communities and the government have invested nothing into the youth, so they have no qualms with fucking the community over in return, they have nothing to lose. Like that article said, Mark Duggan was not the reason for the riots, it was just the spark.
on the contrary, these rioters are the state-funded spawn of the welfare generation. they have no interest in their community not because their community does nothing for them, but because they have nothing to gain from doing so - they rely on the state to look after them rather than their community.

listen to this clip - its disgraceful and it summarises the ignorance. "it's the government's fault! conservatives!" - they don't even understand what they're talking about. when the interviewer points out that they are targeting local businesses they protest "but it's the rich people!" - they have no respect for people who have actually earnt their money and make an honest living because they are so far separated from that ethos.

uh. he didnt really say anything meaningful. what i got from that was "we were warned but we didnt listen" - when? by who? hindsight is 20:20 but even now i cant think of a single thing that indicated some kind of shift in the zeitgeist to cause this. he then proceeds to bleat on about mark duggan which, as you've accepted, was simply the spark that gave these criminals the excuse to kick off. finally he plays the race card to humiliate the interviewer. cleverly done but to no real effect.

People don't take to the streets for a multi-day long riot just because they are "criminal thugs". If they really were criminal thugs, why would they even wait for an excuse? Why did they choose to do this now instead of at any other point in time? There have been plenty of protests recently without this kind of rioting. More importantly, if you're saying that the thousands of rioters are just criminal thugs, then you have a bigger problem on your hands once the riot stops: there's an entire city full of criminal thugs waiting for an excuse to go on a destruction spree. I didn't mean to imply that this was directly the fault of some upper class conspiracy...I was just referring to a group of recent scandals in England that show Parliament, the police and the media can be bought by anyone with cash to spare, as well as actions which suggest the public's future will always be sacrificed for short term privatized gain. If I recall correctly, they recently skyrocketed the price of college tuition, they had that expenses scandal you mentioned while the public gets austerity measures, and the police were caught taking bribes from Rupert Murdoch's news corporation to hack the phone records of a murder victim. All of that contributes to why a large group of people would continue this behavior for so long. It takes a real asshole to rob a store during a riot, but your complete dismissal of the reasons why this large-scale event is happening was disappointing to read. On an individual level I feel you are right, but as a whole I think you're missing the point and enabling the underlying attitudes that created this riot to spread.
opportunistic criminals. you have no idea what is going on over here, these morons don't even know who rupert murdoch is, they just want some free fucking iphones to get rich quick. there are far more people who scorn the riots and want to stop them than those who join in. even those from the same working class background and particularly the older generation who have actually had to work for their money and who SHOULD feel outraged by the expenses scandal because THEY are the ones who are paying the taxes. these rioting kids contribute nothing to society and we continue to give them a portion of our income so they can buy new trainers and smartphones. but wait! now they don't even need our money to do that because they have the opportunity to simply walk up to a local business, smash the window and take whatever the fuck they want.

(an aside: the tuition fee excuse is genuinely ridiculous. even if these kids were planning on going to university and improving themselves, you only need to pay the fees once you start earning a certain amount - i am in £23,000 of student fee debt and im not particularly worried about it because it is interest-free and im currently paying it back at about £10/week)

In light of all the corruption scandals within UK politics you would expect the mobs to all be fighting for some sort of political reform, but there's nothing. The majority of them aren't making demands, they aren't voicing opinions that are even remotely educated. It really does seem to be violence for the sake of chaos and looting.

In other news, three more lives have been taken. This whole affair is as tragic as it is ridiculous.

This shit was going on right outside my house, it was terrifying. They demolished a wall on a road next to mine to use for ammunition. FOrtunatly the police beat them back.

These people just want to cause violence and chaos for thier own sick twisted amusment. Whatever the exact cause was for this to start with on saterday, it has changed to just pure malevolence, with kids having an excuse to show how truly evil they are.

monkfish

They're not being bought by rioters. Most of the reviews are posted by shop and home owners looking to defend their property. And they certainly don't care - if the law is not protecting them, why should they?

The problem with ordering bats and armanents is that it takes time for the gear to get to the folk that need it, time the folk who need em don't really have considering the time bomb these riots are.

Nevertheless, the green light to use whatever is necessary means this night might be very interesting for the country. Whether the police will wage an offensive against the rioters or not will depend on what happens. Of course, if the authority uses full force, the rioters might up the ante and actively wage their own offensive front rather than being petty crooks.

evan

I did my best -- I have no regrets
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Riot control is always a tricky thing. Go too far and you incur the cries of "police brutality." Go to little and you get "the police are doing nothing." As far as I can tell standard procedure is to start small and up the pressure as the days go by. Seems to me like things have gotten so tough that some of the harsher riot control measures (tear gas, rubber bullets) might be more acceptable to the general public now.

on the contrary, these rioters are the state-funded spawn of the welfare generation. they have no interest in their community not because their community does nothing for them, but because they have nothing to gain from doing so - they rely on the state to look after them rather than their community.

listen to this clip - its disgraceful and it summarises the ignorance. "it's the government's fault! conservatives!" - they don't even understand what they're talking about. when the interviewer points out that they are targeting local businesses they protest "but it's the rich people!" - they have no respect for people who have actually earnt their money and make an honest living because they are so far separated from that ethos.
If they have no gain from looking out for the community, then surely something needs to change. It's all fine saying we should lock these people all away (a lot of them DO deserve it - some of the videos of what has happened out there are disgusting) but what happens once they get out. We can dismiss this as mindless thuggery, stop it all with rubber bullets, but it will only happen again next year.

When I think of "opportunistic criminal thugs", I think petty vandalism, broken windows, smashed cars and people swearing at the police. I don't think mindless thuggery involves organised and systematic looting and burning of cities up and down the country. These riots isn't just opportunistic criminality (although I will say it does make up a big part of it - particularly in these latter stages). This is a result of a whole generation of youth who feel removed from society as a result of being run over by successive governments. The video I posted is an illustration of that (he talks about how police are damaging the community rather than helping it - is the point I thought he was trying to convey), and this is a view of the rioters side that doesn't come from 16 year old chav girls who are clearly fucking idiots. The clip you posted doesn't "summarise" the riots, it is just a small part of it. To me, the whole "you're rich, we're poor" does indicate political motivation behind this all, even if a lot of the rioters themselves don't even know it!

uh. he didnt really say anything meaningful. what i got from that was "we were warned but we didnt listen" - when? by who? hindsight is 20:20 but even now i cant think of a single thing that indicated some kind of shift in the zeitgeist to cause this.
That is the point he made, we can't think of a single thing that indicated a shift in the zeitgeist but clearly something was there! The evidence is clear to see!

The youths clearly feel they have no stake in society, no ownership, and seem to have become disenfranchised. This has happened not only because of the welfare cuts and expenses scandals you mentioned, but other factors such as increasing VAT, and the increased cost of living, and the fact many of them are struggling to get loans or jobs in light of the economy. For them there is no prospect of a "brighter future". So they capitalise on an opportunity to get what they can't have, hence all the looting, stealing and running riot.

Yes a crackdown is needed to ensure the safety of people and businesses in danger, but there needs to be a long term solution, so many young people have dropped off the radar. Politicians speak about wrong-doing and criminality, but seem to be ignoring the underlying problems that already have, and will continue to radicalise the youth who believe they have no future.

Sorry for the long post and re-iteration of points, I just feel that this whole thing can't just be put down to thuggery, doing so would be to just sweep the issue under the carpet. I don't want to seem a sympathiser to a lot of the rioters, and I hope the police can get it under control as soon as possible. Criminality must be fought, and punished, but it must also be understood.

On a lighter note: http://photoshoplooter.tumblr.com/

Kinneas

puffoon
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'm fairly certain from listening to several reports today that the police are outnumbered nationally. There were 16,000 police officers in London last night, but they were taken from other problem areas. Harsher riot controls can be brought in now but those cries of police brutality are going to fuel the fire elsewhere. This is out of control now and it may escalate if tonight doesn't go well.

It's very easy to say that the people rioting are mindless thugs and opportunistic criminals, and for the most part you would be right, but that's a very dangerous thing to do because you're imposing an idea of irrationality on the entire situation when it is driven by underlying problems that are what actually need to be addressed. Yes these people are out to cause havoc for the sake of it, but why do they feel that it's okay for them to do it in the first place? I think this is what jrrrrrrr was trying to say earlier although his reasoning for the riots was completely wrong. The rioters don't give a fuck about phone scandals or Rupert Murdoch, they are angry because of social condition, they way they feel they are policed, unemployment, lack of opportunity.

What really pisses me off is how our Government are handling this in the media. It's pretty disgusting to hear Boris Johnson blaming teenagers having too much freedom and opportunity for the rioting. The Prime Minister calling this mindless, senseless violence shows that they have no intention of actually dealing with these issues and are setting themselves up to be the heroes who stopped the bad rioters and saved the country at the end of it. They won't look at the problem areas, they won't address any of the social or economic problems and the whole thing will circle round and happen all over again. Remember Brixton? See you in another 30 years. I just wish the buildings being destroyed were government property and not that of hard working shop owners.

From what I can read, it's starting to look like vigilantism is going to take hold soon. People are pissed.Are you 12?
Eh no I'm 15 and by "cool" I don't mean I want it to happen I'm just saying that because nothing ever happens round here. There's no need to be a dick about it, why can't you just respect my opinion on the matter

az

toddmoding
is a Community Contributoris an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
maybe because respect is commanded, and someone thoughtlessly calling rioting cool because nothing happens where they are from is moronic

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)