(MC) Middle Cup Tier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maril Looks pretty good, having a base 89 attack after you include "huge power" into your calculations and is one of the few users of knock off in the tier and can also check speed boost combuskin with stab Aquajet.

Combusken doesn't get instant recovery though. Actually, now that I think about it, CC doesn't make that much sense if you want staying power. Maybe try another fighting STAB? What other options does Monferno get? Brick Break would work fine...

The point of Monferno over Combusken is that Monferno can stay in and take more hits and then heal off. It also heals Flare Blitz recoil.

Well, Monferno also gets Nasty Plot and Focus Blast + Fire Blast, so no, SD is not the only niche it gets.

Fire + Fighting gets neutral coverage outside of Lampent in this tier.

I love how people whine about CC dropping defenses.
See the reason GOOD CCers get away with shit like that is because they outspeed everything... and in a majorly stallish tier, that is easy to achieve. How much damage will Chansey or Dusclops do against a -6 Monferno? Still 50. -_-
Unfortunately, Kadabra rapes it anally. EVERY TIME. although +2 Mach Punch admittedly does rape face. whatever, its up to you how you want to run it.
I'll stick with the mixed set myself.
It works for ape...

Defenses don't really matter for a frail Pokemon like Monferno, so it can hammer away on other Pokemon with CC and Mach Punch, then switch out when another threat comes its' way to take advantage of its' even crappier defenses with the drops. Monferno is a glass cannon. It's fast and strong with frail defenses, so it has to hit hard before it drops.

What about fire types? Everybody seems to be prepared for steel killing threats like machoke and gurdurr but with proper support a fire type could easily manage a sweep. I know monferno has been talked about but theres also things like dragon dance Charmeleon. It needs Wartortle support but they have nice synergy together and are the makings of a F/W/G core. Come to think of it, a core of Charmeleon, Wartortle and Ivysaur would not only be themed but have great synergy and complement each other well. Wartortle spins hazards away and Ivysaur can stallbreak Charmeleon wall with knock off, toxic, etc.

Combusken and Monferno can do the same sh*t.
Probably better especially Combusken whose 60/60/60 defenses are essentially the same as Charmeleon's 58/58/65

I would say the ONLY reason to try Charmeleon would be to try and abuse Solar Power as a free Life Orb in addition to another Life Orb.
Base 80 speed is alright in MC but you still need Sunny Day support.
(Surprisingly large) List of Pokemon in MC that learn Sunny Day :
Ivysaur, Charmeleon, Pidgeotto, Nidorina, Nidorino, Clefairy, Jigglypuff, Gloom, Kadabra, Machoke, Graveler, Magneton, Haunter, Rhydon, Chansey, Magmar, Bayleef, Quilava, Togetic, Skiploom, Porygon-2, Grovyle, Combusken, Lombre, Nuzleaf, Kirlia, Vigoroth, Loudred, Lairon, Roselia, Vibrava, Dusclops, Shelgon, Metang, Grotle, Monferno, Staravia, Gabite, Servine, Pignite, Herdier, Gurdurr, Swadloon, Whirlipede, Lampent, Fraxure, Zweilous

Obviously, not all of those pokemon are viable to use (inb4 my Pidgeotto is AMAZING trolls), a few of them wouldn't want sun up while they are alive (lol Sunny Day Metang) and some just don't make any sense knowing it (orly Lombre?). But, considering there are only 78 pokemon in the tier a whole LOT of them can use it and there are a fair few Pokemon that can abuse the sun because of chlorophyll or fire moves, etc.

Yeah dragon dance seems to be pretty bad actually. I mean sweepers outspeed majority of MC pokemon anyway so Swords Dance always seems better. On the note of boosting moves: I love bulk up an calm mind; max defense and HP on Duosion with Eviolite and a couple Calm minds it seems literally impossible to break. Cant hit it physically thanks to max physical bulk, eviolite and reocver, cant hit it specially with a few calm minds, eviolite and recover, cant hit it with seismic toss thanks to recover and cant toxic it with magic guard. The same roughly applys to gurduur too but it really misse the recovery move. Any other viable calm mind/ bulk up users that arent outclassed?

Yeah dragon dance seems to be pretty bad actually. I mean sweepers outspeed majority of MC pokemon anyway so Swords Dance always seems better. On the note of boosting moves: I love bulk up an calm mind; max defense and HP on Duosion with Eviolite and a couple Calm minds it seems literally impossible to break. Cant hit it physically thanks to max physical bulk, eviolite and reocver, cant hit it specially with a few calm minds, eviolite and recover, cant hit it with seismic toss thanks to recover and cant toxic it with magic guard. The same roughly applys to gurduur too but it really misse the recovery move. Any other viable calm mind/ bulk up users that arent outclassed?
That's exactly why Reuniclus is so good in OU - if you don't have something that can beat it (which isn't much), and let it set up, it never dies.

That's exactly why Reuniclus is so good in OU - if you don't have something that can beat it (which isn't much), and let it set up, it never dies.
But in OU there are amazingly strong hits. No runclus likes a choiceband Inefernapes U-turn or a Flare blitz from Darmanitan or a bug bite from Scizor. Thge differnce is that there are barely any super strong hits in MC besides maybe Kadabra or the like all of whichj Eviolite Duosion can take. Duosion even has better bulk then Reunclus thanks to Eviolite so not only are the hits weaker but the defenses stronger

Croconaw could flinchax duosion to death. I guess it also has crunch to deal a good amount of damage at +1...
It also murders speed boost combusken with priority aqua jet...

Sheer Force Ice Fang (84.5 bp) > normal Ice Punch, no problem.
Unfortunately, no Dragon Dance and Aqua jet - you'll be forced to use Bulky SD. Seems usable with 65/80/63 defenses and 80 atk.

I love the idea of Middle Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)