(Un)Official Smogon University PO Stats -- August 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some surprises for me but finally will be logical (darmanitan, ...)
Nevertheless i wait the officials stats & the next suspects soon ;)

It's worth noting that August percents seem to be lower for pretty much all Pokemon, so I doubt we'll see a huge exodus of Pokemon from OU once/if Rising_Dusk does his version of the stats.
It's my understanding that R_D *can't* do his version of the stats, because the plugin that generated them in previous months wasn't running in July/August (nor is it running now). It was apparently one of the reasons the server couldn't stay up in July. The battles have already happened. The only info we have about them is the battle logs, which CANNOT be used to generate R_D-style stats.

If we're using the 3.5% rule, then Zoroark would be RU using this months stats in isolation. That would be pretty cool, since Yanmega could actually be a pretty good disguise for it. No-one would dare hit it with a Bug or Fighting move. Of course, if Stealth Rock is up, any decent player should know it's a fake. :P

But if it leads, it can outspeed base 100's that think they can get a quick hit, or U-Turn and maintain the disguise, and hit the Steels that wall Yanmega hard with Flamethrower and Focus Blast.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
To address some comments made about the technical aspects of the stats (the only thing I feel I am qualified to comment on):
(...)
Even so, couldn't this average explain the shrinking of OU? The top 10 has more or less the same percentage stats they had in May and June (in fact, it's less centralized than June lol) and it's comprised of shit like Rotom-W which will appear in battle at least once, while the #20-50 may not appear in battle due to several reasons (such as, huh, Toxicroak vs. Sand?).

I appreciate your work a lot, I'm just afraid people are getting the wrong idea because they want to compare the newest stat gathering method with the previous one; we had the same when Rising_Dusk collected April's stats, as people complained OU wasn't comprised of 10% of the total pokémon in the game, as it had been during DPPt (even though one of the reasons the cut-off formula used in DPPt, and carried over to BW, was used was that it would make OU have ~48 pokémon...).

More stats:

This chart shows the percentage of usage that the top x pokemon make up for each of the past three months that stats were taken:

Code:
	August	June	May
10	26.5%	28.3%	26.4%
20	40%	44.6%	42.8%
30	50.5%	55.9%	53.2%
40	58.7%	64.8%	61.3%
50	64.2%	71.7%	67.8%
August's stats are actually significantly less centralized than June's, and somewhat less centralized than May's. OU is smaller because usage is more spread out and a higher percentage is shared by pokemon outside of the top 50.

wtf tangrowth in RU? And sigylyph in RU too?
Well, slowbro would be everywhere just to counter cloyster, while cloyster just sets up more. But there is nothing that can counter it, except quagsire...
ho Cobalion is also a very good counter cuz I dont think it can kill it. And we might even see poliwrath, who resists all of cloysters moves.

soul_survivor

VGCPL Champion
Posting this on the new page

I cannot stress enough that these are the stats for JUST August. Tier placement changes include the usage stats for the past three months, which is going to be May, June, and August (July doesn't count...).

So, to the people saying Metagross and friends are going to drop to UU, they probably won't after this round. If the current trend continues for the next three months though, then we can definitely expect them to drop to UU during the next tier placement change.
Exactly. The most will probably see is tornadus dropping to uu or anything that barely made it in OU and dropped places through the data we have. So basically tornadus has a high chance of dropping not things like gross and chandy etc.

I'm just afraid people are getting the wrong idea because they want to compare the newest stat gathering method with the previous one.
This is a good point. You can argue that this method is superior (I wouldn't, btw), since "benchwarmers" who never see any action shouldn't really get counted the same as pokemon who are in every battle (I don't think this point is valid because Team Preview means your opponent is (should) be making decisions based on even your unseen pokemon. as are you.), but you can't argue that an apple is the same thing as an orange.

Continuing on from MaestroXXVI's stats, as long as my calculations are correct (and assuming we use Antar's stats), UU is now made up of these 44 pokemon:

Code:
Donphan
Hitmontop
Heracross
Arcanine
Roserade
Mismagius
Zapdos
Victini
Chansey
Flygon
Empoleon
Mew
Milotic
Froslass
Nidoking
Azelf
Rotom-H
Registeel
Slowbro
Kingdra
Cobalion
Abomasnow
Suicune
Deoxys-D
Snorlax
Rhyperior
Blastoise
Nidoqueen
Weavile
Crobat
Umbreon
Dusclops
Ambipom
Houndoom
Raikou
Togekiss
Escavalier
Bisharp
Shaymin
Jolteon
Hippopotas
Azumarill
Zoroark
Venomoth
And RU is now made up of these 41 pokemon:
Code:
Yanmega
Cresselia
Entei
Honchkrow
Claydol
Porygon-Z
Gallade
Ferroseed
Clefable
Sharpedo
Alakazam
Uxie
Moltres
Galvantula
Durant
Cofagrigus
Typhlosion
Lilligant
Krookodile
Steelix
Sandslash
Manetric
Rotom-C
Dusknoir
Omastar
Gligar
Electivire
Primeape
Munchlax
Qwilfish
Medicham
Hariyama
Miltank
Quagsire
Magmortar
Magneton
Slowking
Croconaw
Drapion
Aggron
Smeargle
However, because the tiers shrunk by so much, there are a lot of pokemon now caught in limbo, in which they have no stats from a lower tier they are falling into but not high enough stats to remain in the upper tier. These pokemon are:

OU-UU Limbo (ordered by OU useage):
Code:
Swampert
Venusaur
Chandelure
Meinshao
Hippowdon
Tornadus
Cloyster
Darmanitan
Machamp
Porygon2
Whimsicott
UU-RU Limbo (ordered by UU useage):
Code:
Sceptile
Spiritomb
Tangrowth
Sigilyph
Xatu
Aerodactyl
Dugtrio
Sawsbuck
Charizard
Victreebel
It is going to be fascinating to see how the metagame reacts to the major tier contraction.

Jio

God is Good
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Smogon is a competitive community first, and that is why I believe that there should still be a cutoff (1001) so that the stats are more representative of the competitive community.
Pretty much my opinion as well

Couple things:

1. Thanks a lot Antar, EDIT: The new RD! Your next assingment: create NU. (please? :3)
2. Gastrodon in OU. That really sucks for the guys abusing him to no end in RU (like me). Oh well, Cress, Clefable or Ferroseed when tiers are updated? Have fun in the big leagues you little sea slug.
3. Of the UU-RU limbo, I have little doubt Sawsbuck, Charizard, and Victreebel are going down eventually. Wasn't Sun gone for like 3 months now? O.o The others I'm not sure of.
4. Machamp in UU. BL in one round. Chandelure is probably going down the same road. Venusaur going down pretty much screws over arguments of Drought + Chlorophyll being banned. Swampert I'll have fun using in more than one tier.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
There are currently no plans for Rising_Dusk to continue doing stats in the future. If it wasn't for Antar, there would most likely be no stats.

Looks like Blastoise and Rhyperior are moving up to UU, They've been UU for 2 months now.

I'm dissapointed that Venemoth and Gorebyss are still RU, Venemoth just missed out by a small margin while Gorebyss is something like number 111 when it was UU in June, has smash pass died out?

Looks like Ru will will have more trouble with Honchkrow without Rhyperior and Hazards without Blastoise being the main Spinner in the tier but Xatu has fallen out UU for 2 month straight now, one more month and it'll be RU so keeping those hazards off the field won't be so hard but a month without Xatu or Blastoise will make the tier very difficult to play, possibly near unplayable but we'll have to see.

Is the UU-RU tier cut based on usage in UU now? Because it always annoyed me that the UU-NU split was based on OU usage in Gen IV.

tbh, I agree with malvira. If we count battles from people with less than 1000 points, stuff like Thundurus will never be on top and stuff like Electivire might actually become OU.

I actually like these new stats, I mean really, if you don't see it in battle, its not a HUGE factor in your playsytle. Yes I know about team preview, but if they aren't using a certain pokemon, in battle, because maybe its useless, it might as well not even be there, and these stats reflect that.

Edit: WOAH, I was just thinking, this guy has access to every single on of your battle logs. *gulp* Thats a lot of power my good sir.

Looks like Ru will will have more trouble with Honchkrow without Rhyperior and Hazards without Blastoise being the main Spinner in the tier
1. Honchkrow has a lot of other things able to beat it, don't worry. Also, Eviolite Rhydon's still around, he counters Honchkrow just as well as his big brother.

2. Rapid Spin Claydol gets no love. No love at all.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Less than 50% of the teams being weather seems reasonable to me. I mean we have 4 diff types of weather (one of them being TYRANITAR), what did you expect...

Players with < 1001 must be deliberately losing or being majorly inactive to have such ratings. I mean, players start out with rating of 1000. Don't worry, Shuckle Man, the great majority of the players are accounted for.

Antar, thank you for going out of your way to analyze this month's Pokemon usage! And yes, RU tiering is based off of UU usage.

Less than 50% of the teams being weather seems reasonable to me. I mean we have 4 diff types of weather (one of them being TYRANITAR), what did you expect...
Not when it limits the metagame as much as it has. And Hail can hardly be counted, so 3. I think we can agree even if we took Sun out of the equation we'd have nearly the same percentage of auto-weather teams. So much of the game has come down to countering weather.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)