B&W Research Thread

now, I'm not sure if I asked this already, but I've searched all over the place, and the info isn't anywhere, so here goes:

Is Victory star a Multiplicative or Additive Accuracy increase? Also is it true that if Victini is in your party, but not in battle, it boosts your allies moves accuracy?

Take this scenario: Victini is in the Party, and I have out a Mamoswine who uses Rock Slide - Is Mamoswine's Rock Slide going to have 90, 99, or 100% Accuracy? As an extenuation, would a Fire Blast (off a Nidoking, on the same team) have 85, 93.5, or 95% accuracy? Thanks a lot for the help, much appreciated...

it's a Multiplicative boost just like compound eyes wide lens and zoom lens are.

by 10% or 1.1.

so just go move base accuracy * 1.1

FYI any move over 91% base accuracy is 100% after a 10% boost.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Sry if this has been asked before but can you get burned from Flame Body while you are behind a sub?
For example if my dragonite,which has a sub up,attacks a Volcarona can i get burned?

Peterko

Never give up!
is a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Sry if this has been asked before but can you get burned from Flame Body while you are behind a sub?
For example if my dragonite,which has a sub up,attacks a Volcarona can i get burned?
That was a superb answer and a wrong one. You see, when the Pokémon that has a Sub up attacks, even the Sub animation fades and the actual Pokémon sprite attacks.

The actual Pokémon attacks, not its substitute, so obviously Static paralyzes and Flame Body burns. So the answer is yes, your Dragonite will get burned.

That was a superb answer and a wrong one. You see, when the Pokémon that has a Sub up attacks, even the Sub animation fades and the actual Pokémon sprite attacks.

The actual Pokémon attacks, not its substitute, so obviously Static paralyzes and Flame Body burns. So the answer is yes, your Dragonite will get burned.
I'm supposing the same holds true for attacking a Poke with Effect Spore ability from behind a Sub?

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I'm supposing the same holds true for attacking a Poke with Effect Spore ability from behind a Sub?
Holds true for all contact abilities.

Conversely, if you attack a Pokemon with a contact ability while it has a Substitute up, its contact ability will not activate. (Yes, this is currently programmed incorrectly on PO, but will be fixed next update.)

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
Not sure if it's been noted before, but someone using U-Turn on an Eject Button user doesn't get switched out; the Eject Button user gets switched out instead, and the U-Turn user stays in. The same is probably true if someone uses Volt Switch.

Not sure if it's been noted before, but someone using U-Turn on an Eject Button user doesn't get switched out; the Eject Button user gets switched out instead, and the U-Turn user stays in. The same is probably true if someone uses Volt Switch.
Is this on PO or on the actual game?

Thorhammer:

Sprocket is correct, it happens in-game, I've tested that.

tomtom5858:

That's incorrect. A Gem will not be consumed if the attack is avoided by all of its targets.

Well, this is... odd.

Some time back I had a strange instance where Sigilyph mirror moved a jump kick and missed. But it didn't take recoil damage. I figured it might have been something kooky with an emulator, but I figured it was worth looking into. I didn't get back to checking that out until just now, but in the end it resulted in this test:

Stantler uses Role Play to get Magic Guard.
Stantler uses Jump Kick on a ghost type.
Stantler misses, but DOESN'T crash/take half damage.

Long story short, Magic Guard prevents jump kick miss-recoil damage.
Same with Hi Jump Kick (I made a near-identical test with Hi Jump Kick Scrafty, but with skill swapping Magic Guard to it via a Skill Swap DW Abra). I have no idea if this is the case in gen 4.

Both the Stantler test and the Scrafty test were on my DS with a retail Black version. In double grass, that useful greenery.

Should Reflect and Light Screen last 9 turns with Light Clay equipped? Because that's what happens in PO. I believe it was 8 in DPP.

Checking in-game, it's eight turns INCLUDING the turn you use it. So if PO has a mistake there you should bring it up over to their support forums.

Regarding the Mummy ability...

1. When overwriting Slow Starts stat drops, does it activate before or after the damage is done?
2. Will Mummy still pass to a poke if it OHKO's the Mummified 'mon

Edit: Thanks poccil

RevolverKnight:

1. Mummy is applied after damage is dealt: Slow Start's Attack reduction will already have been applied when calculating the damage dealt.
2. If I understand correctly, the answer is: Mummy will still change the attacker's Ability even if the bearer of Mummy faints from the attack.

I haven't seen this posted in the research thread yet, but Magic Guard does not block the Pokemon from being poisoned by Toxic Spikes (it did in 4th gen).

Tested against in-game wild Pokemon, using Skill Swap to get Magic Bounce on an enemy Pokemon to bounce back Toxic Spikes to my side.
Are you sure it did it in 4th gen? By definition, Magic Guard does not prevent being poisoned even with Toxic Spikes.

atsync

Where the "intelligence" of TRAINERS is put to the test!
is a Pokemon Researcheris a Contributor to Smogon
I'm not sure if this belongs here because it's more related to in-game but...

I recently attempted to copy the move Memento onto a Smeargle with Sketch. I used the information from this guide, which is for 3rd and 4th gen:

http://www.smogon.com/ingame/guides/how_to_sketch

I tried to use the Taunt method in Pokemon Black. However, it didn't seem to work.

To do this, I sent out a level 100 Emolga with Taunt and a level 41 Chandelure with Memento in a double battle against a Patrat and a Pidove. I had Chandelure use Memento on Patrat and Emolga use Taunt on Chandelure. The taunt successfully blocked Memento. The next turn, I swapped out Emolga for a level 31 Smeargle with Sketch, while using a Potion on Chandelure. The turn after that, I used another Potion on Chandelure and had Smeargle use Sketch on Chandelure. According to the guide, this should have been successful. However, it failed.

Unless I did something wrong (if I did I apologise), the taunt method for copying Memento with Sketch no longer works in 5th gen.

I did eventually successfully sketch Memento using this method (this could be see as a variant of the 'no target' method from the article above):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eg2PAi_nyE

So the 'no target' method probably still works in 5th gen (though I didn't test the no target method from the article).

P.S. Sorry if this is known and/or irrelevent. I did a search and didn't find anything in this thread.

Setsuna

Prototype
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
RevolverKnight:

1. Mummy is applied after damage is dealt: Slow Start's Attack reduction will already have been applied when calculating the damage dealt.
2. If I understand correctly, the answer is: Mummy will still change the attacker's Ability even if the bearer of Mummy faints from the attack.
I think that's what he meant in the second question, and yes, that is what would happen in that case. Anyway, I've changed the description of Mummy in the OP as it was a bit misleading, and also further elaborated on how it works. Should be good now.

Are you sure it did it in 4th gen? By definition, Magic Guard does not prevent being poisoned even with Toxic Spikes.
Yes. It basically just prevents the user from taking damage from the poison, but if you try bouncing it back―as OmegaDonut did in his test―the other party will start receiving damage from poison the next turn.

Someone on PO tells me that Synchonoise doubles in power when it hits (i.e. to base 140) though every site I can find doesn't mention this. Has anyone got the capability to test this out?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)