DP Research Thread #1 ("Old")

Status
Not open for further replies.

Surgo

goes to eleven
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Something I found while playing ingame today:

Due to the new way fainting in-turn works, if you are seeded via leech seed and you kill your opponent, you will -not- take leech seed damage that turn.

Team Rocket Elite

Data Integration Thought Entity
is a Top Researcher Alumnus
In regards to Forewarn.

Moveset: Thunderbolt, Destiny Bond, Sludge Bomb, Counter

Forewarn picked up on Counter which obviously does not have the highest Base Power. I wonder if Counter will outrank stuff like Focus Punch, Selfdestruct and Explosion.

Atlas

I'm the Mary!
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
Something I found while playing ingame today:

Due to the new way fainting in-turn works, if you are seeded via leech seed and you kill your opponent, you will -not- take leech seed damage that turn.
ya, thats been known already. same thing if youre burned/poisoned. if you kill an opponents pokemon, then he brings in a burned/poisoned pokemon, it will not take damage that turn.

I'm sure almost everyone knows this, but I think it bears some mention (since I recall the strat thread for Pinsir suggested using Hyper Cutter/Mold Breaker for fake out purposes) that when a Pokemon has Mold Breaker, you're informed when they come in.

Sorry if this is useless >_<

Surgo

goes to eleven
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
atlas said:
same thing if youre burned/poisoned. if you kill an opponents pokemon, then he brings in a burned/poisoned pokemon, it will not take damage that turn.
What are you saying, exactly? Are you saying that YOU don't take damage or THEY don't take damage? Or both? (I already know the latter is true.)

Team Rocket Elite

Data Integration Thought Entity
is a Top Researcher Alumnus
It seems they screwed up Payback and Assurance.

Ingame descriptions:
Payback: If the user can use this attack after the foe attacks, its power is doubled.
Assurance: If the foe has already taken some damage in the same turn, this attack’s power is doubled.

This is wrong. In fact it's backwards.

Payback is the attack formerly known as "Repeat".
Assurance is the attack formerly known as "Quick Revenge".

Payback/Repeat's power doubles if the target has taken damage this turn. The exact details on what counts as damage is not known. I'm not 100% certain this description is accurate.

Assurance/Quick Revenge's power doubles if it goes after an opponent has attacked. The exact details on what qualifies as an attack is not known.

does sandstorm alter castform to rock type, if so would it gain 50% sp def boost or merely just rock type change, that gives me several ideas about castform's viablity

thats gay moldbreaker letting your foe know you have it makes suprise pinsir sets worthless since it can't pursuit something that would switch out

Not sure about how well this has been researched or examined, but there's a small note I feel worth mentioning about Pain Split, as well as an oddity I observed. This could just be the result of how the attack works (I believe that it works based on HP percentage, but if it works via raw number... well, then I get what's wrong and I look really stupid). So just tell me and I'll kill this post if I'm simply stupid.

First and foremost, as the result of some silliness on my part, it seems that Pain Split acts very oddly against Magic Guard, causing you to lose HP but not doing anything to the Clef- it was used against. The battle in question was my 41 Mismagius vs a level 14 Cleffa. I'll go back and test it a bit later.

[Yup, I misunderstood Pain Split's mechanics. Sorry about that.]

Furthermore, if this hasn't already been solved (I.E. me being stupid), I think it bears some metion that, during a fight with Bertha's Hippondow, my Mismagius used Pain Split and ended up at full health while the Hippondow got knocked down a good chunk.
Hippowdon base HP: 108
Mismagius base HP: 60

So it's entirely possible that when the health totals are added together and divided that one Pokemon will get its max HP or more. This is more likely if you have a significant level disparity too.

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I'm sure almost everyone knows this, but I think it bears some mention (since I recall the strat thread for Pinsir suggested using Hyper Cutter/Mold Breaker for fake out purposes) that when a Pokemon has Mold Breaker, you're informed when they come in.

Sorry if this is useless >_<
Yes, I noticed this too.

There's also a message if you're fighting against a Pressure Pokemon. The message says something like "Zapdos is exerting pressure on the foe".

X-Act

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
First and foremost, as the result of some silliness on my part, it seems that Pain Split acts very oddly against Magic Guard, causing you to lose HP but not doing anything to the Clef- it was used against. The battle in question was my 41 Mismagius vs a level 14 Cleffa. I'll go back and test it a bit later.
That's actually interesting.

Furthermore, if this hasn't already been solved (I.E. me being stupid), I think it bears some metion that, during a fight with Bertha's Hippondow, my Mismagius used Pain Split and ended up at full health while the Hippondow got knocked down a good chunk.
This is how Pain Split is supposed to work. Pain Split makes your HP and that of the foe equal. So if your HP left is 50, and that of the opponent is 350, the HPs are averaged out to 200 ([50+350] / 2). So you will recover 150 HP, and the opponent will lose 150 HP. Since Mismagius' total HP is low, while Hippondow's HP stat is high, Mismagius ended up at full health, while Hippondow lost a good chunk of its HP.

Matt

Maybe monads might not matter
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Since Stealth Rock describes itself as "floating in the air", does Gravity remove it?

Today in Victory Road, an enemy trainer's Medicham tried to Hi Jump Kick my Empoleon, but missed, and the damage from crashing was so bad it took out half of Medicham's HP (resulting in a KO).

Was there just a huge HP disparity or does hi jump kick come with even greater strings attached now? Our levels were pretty close, in fact I think Medicham was slightly higher.

It seems they screwed up Payback and Assurance.

Ingame descriptions:
Payback: If the user can use this attack after the foe attacks, its power is doubled.
Assurance: If the foe has already taken some damage in the same turn, this attack’s power is doubled.

This is wrong. In fact it's backwards.

Payback is the attack formerly known as "Repeat".
Assurance is the attack formerly known as "Quick Revenge".

Payback/Repeat's power doubles if the target has taken damage this turn. The exact details on what counts as damage is not known. I'm not 100% certain this description is accurate.

Assurance/Quick Revenge's power doubles if it goes after an opponent has attacked. The exact details on what qualifies as an attack is not known.
But wasnt Quick Revenge a TM, which is now called Payback? It would not make sense whatsoever to now have the move that used to be called "Repeat" as a TM in the English versions...

Im getting confused, but Im pretty sure Nintendo wouldnt change the TM's coded move number from the JPN to ENG games. The move that was called "Repeat" was only a level up for some Pokemon, and now Assurance is on those lists...

Has it already been tested, if technician works on multiple attacks like triple kick and double hit?

Since they weren't listed on the first page (as far as I can tell), what are the respective boosts for wise glasses, muscle band, and wide lens?

Today in Victory Road, an enemy trainer's Medicham tried to Hi Jump Kick my Empoleon, but missed, and the damage from crashing was so bad it took out half of Medicham's HP (resulting in a KO).

Was there just a huge HP disparity or does hi jump kick come with even greater strings attached now? Our levels were pretty close, in fact I think Medicham was slightly higher.
I noticed that in ADV, too. I have a feeling it has to do with Pure Power, but I'm not sure.

HJK's recoil is supposed to be 1/8 of the damage it was supposed to cause if it hit. Obviously, the damage "it would cause if it hit" won't happen in a miss, so I think it's not limited by the foe's max HP. That means the Medicham at Victory Road probably ate a recoil much bigger than 1/8 of your Empoleon's HP.

Or maybe I'm just very, very wrong.

Surgo

goes to eleven
Here's a murky question:

We've known for a while about Sleep Talk's priority-cancelling effect. What happens, then, when you Sleep Talk Pursuit?

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Does it go first if you Sleep Talk Extremespeed? Nope. I imagine Sleep Talking Pursuit works the same way.

X-Act

Since they weren't listed on the first page (as far as I can tell), what are the respective boosts for wise glasses, muscle band, and wide lens?
Muscle Band increases the power of physical attacks by 10%.
Wise Glasses increases the power of special attacks by 10%.

This is the reason why the type-boosting items effect has been pumped up to 20%. They would have been completely overshadowed by the above two items otherwise.

Wide Lens increases the accuracy of your moves by 10% or 15% (10% is more likely).

Surgo

goes to eleven
OmegaDonut said:
Does it go first if you Sleep Talk Extremespeed? Nope. I imagine Sleep Talking Pursuit works the same way.
I know that Sleep Talk ignores priority, but Pursuit isn't exactly a priority move in the same way Extremespeed and Roar are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)