Astronaut Funk

Astronaut Funk

[youtube]FyCOOQpSxmA[/youtube]

Introduction

Howdy guys! Before I go on, I want to thank AccidentalGreed, Wario is OSSIM, and Stone_Cold for reading through the RMT even when I told them that it was not necessary. That really shows how kind some of the people on Smogon can be. My last team, The Persistence of Memory, was a bit stall-based, and I really disliked long battles (and admittedly, the team was not my best work). This time, I chose to go a more offensive route because I have always been a fan of offensive teams, and they're the most fun to play with if you ask me. While the team has changed a bit from the original concept to accommodate a bit of a defensive backbone, the main objective has stayed the same; I still try to wreck all walls on the opponent's team and then allow one of my hard hitters to do the rest of the work, all the while preventing the opponent from setting up. This is my favorite style of play, and it has served me well.

However, before I delve into that, I'll introduce the team's name. Astronaut Funk is the name of the song seen before you, made by Stephen Walking, one of the best dubstep / techno artists that I have ever heard. I was inspired to make this team the first time I heard this very song, and the team has been really fun to use. While I have not laddered with the team outside from testing it against other teams, it has done very well against some big name players, and I'm proud of it.

Also, if anyone is wondering, I ripped the format from Kevin Garrett's amazing RMTs, which were a pleasure to both read and learn from. So, I guess this introduction has been a bit lengthier than I suspected it would be, but that's basically all I have to say. Let's look at the team building process!

Team Building Process

Immediately, I knew I was going to build a rain team based around Tornadus, so naturally Politoed and Tornadus were the first on the team. They complimented each other quite nicely offensively, and Politoed could even pack a defensive punch at times. With these two Pokemon, I realized that opposition to the foe's weather, so I immediately picked the next members of my team without question.

Terrakion was an obvious choice because it is a physical powerhouse capable of beating the two main counters to the above Pokemon as the team stood; Chansey and Blissey could no longer have a field day with my team. Terrakion also provided relief against Ninetales and Tyranitar, as well as even Abomasnow. With that in mind, I chose an extra teammate because I wanted extra insurance against not only sand, but also against opposing rain. Virizion was the natural choice due to its amazing bulk and good movepool.

At this point, the team looked fairly speedy, but not amazingly fast. I realized I needed a solid defensive backbone and paralysis support. Jirachi was the obvious candidate because it provided all of that and Stealth Rock support, which all offensively minded teams need. Dragonite was the second Pokemon I added to help paralyze foes. This is actually a modified version of BTzz's tank set, which I adapted to help spread paralysis support in the rain.

And finally, we arrived at a completed team. As it turned out, my team ended up looking like a multitude of rain abusers and two musketeers; however, I was quite alright with that. It was a very offensively natured team that disrupted stall and defensive styles with high powered attacks, beat other offensive teams with agility and careful play, and relied on my setting up. While offensive teams do give me problems if allowed to set up, I could take them down with my core if I played well.

Now, at this point, I thought the team was great. I took it to the ladder and easily got to 1200 points, but I really struggled from that point. One main problem was my lack of Rapid Spin with Tornadus, Dragonite, and a Choice-locked Terrakion. This was an immense problem, and though Starmie crossed my mind millions of times, I was more than reluctant to use it.

I pinpointed the weakest link, Virizion. Though it did help in some battles, I often never used it unless I wanted to sac something to an Outrage. This prompted me to add another Pokemon that I had never tried before, Forretress. Forretress provided me with another Dragon-type attack absorber, and it also gave me Rapid Spin support and Spikes. While the team is built for a quick sweep, Forretress really provides me with the support I need for that sweep to even occur.

Closer Look

---

Politoed @ Leftovers | Drizzle
Modest Nature | 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 Spe
Hydro Pump | Ice Beam | Hidden Power Grass | Perish Song

This is basically the Politoed you will always see me run, and that is for many reasons. First off, no other Politoed can really compare to 3 attacks Politoed. The sad truth is that both Choice Scarf and Choice Specs Politoed pack Speed / power, but they cannot have both. While Choice Scarf Politoed is forced to run a Timid nature, Choice Specs Politoed lacks Speed and bulk. Additionally, Politoed becomes dead weight after KOing a threat successfully if it is equipped with a Choice item. Defensive Politoed is another story. While I have run defensive Politoed in the past, I find them to be much too weak and slow to work with. As a primarily offensively minded player, this just does not work. 3 attacks Politoed does a lot of things the above can do, though arguably not as well. However, that isn't the point; the point is that 3 attacks Politoed is an offensive medium between the other three variants. It has more power than the Choice Scarf and defensive variants and more bulk than the Choice Specs variant, as well as the freedom to switch moves. Who doesn't want that?

The EV spread that goes with Politoed is fairly straightforward. I run maximum Speed and the most HP I can with a Stealth Rock number. 8 Speed EVs allows me to outspeed defensive Politoed who is 3HKOed by 3 attacks Politoed. The Modest nature allows me to preserve my massive Special Attack, and in conjunction with rain, STAB, and the maximum EV spread, equates to a outrageously powerful Hydro Pump that can 2HKO even some resists like Rotom-W. Hydro Pump is obviously the main move on this set, and it is usually spammed until Ferrothorn / Chansey / Blissey comes in. Ice Beam provides useful coverage against Dragon-type Pokemon who can become harmful later on in the battle if Jirachi and Forretress are weakened. While I used to use Focus Blast, I found Hidden Power Grass more useful against foes like Swampert and Gastrodon. While Encore has its uses as a great support move, I generally choose to use Perish Song because it helps me a lot more in the lategame when a Dragonite is the last Pokemon left and I need to prevent a setup. Also, it's useful for forcing out Reuniclus that I allow to get too many boosts and things like that; basically, it acts as an insurance against sweepers or troublesome Pokemon.

---

Jirachi @ Leftovers | Serene Grace
Sassy Nature | 252 HP / 84 Atk / 172 SpD
Wish | Thunder | Iron Head | Drain Punch

Jirachi is one of my favorite Pokemon ever, and to be fair, it makes up most of the defensive backbone of my very offensive team. That being said, I chose a specially defensive Jirachi over the likes of specially defensive Ferrothorn or Chansey because I already had a source of Spikes support in Forretress, and I really could not care less about Wish support because that just prolongs games. Chansey without Wish support is really useless in my opinion, as it's just a sitting duck against the likes of Terrakion and Infernape. In fact, it is completely ruined by those two. With that out of the way, I'll explain the set itself. I'll be fair, I played around a lot with the EVs to ensure that I can defeat the likes of Magnezone, as I do not want a Magnezone to take down the entirety of the defensive buffer of the team. The Attack EVs ensure that I do 35.86% - 42.76% to standard 36 HP Magnezone, meaning I'll be able to KO it before it can KO me usually, especially because I have Stealth Rock support. The remaining EVs are dispersed into Special Defense and HP to soak up hits like they are nothing, and they are really fairly helpful. I chose a Sassy nature because Jirachi doesn't mind the drop in Speed due to paralysis support, and also because it boosts my Special Defense so that I can wall Latios even harder.

Iron Head and Thunder are the two main moves that I will use, as they provide paralysis and flinch support, which is especially useful for hitting Chlorophyll sweepers if their sun support dies out early. The combo of those two moves also helps me deal with Gengar effectively. Thunder serves me well for hitting Magnezone on the switch, as well as taking out most physical walls like Slowbro and Skarmory. Iron Head is just solid STAB that beats down Terrakion. Wish support is useful for this team because it allows Tornadus, Terrakion, and Dragonite to nullify Stealth Rock damage, and since 2 of the 3 have no way of healing, it aids immensely. While most sets often run Stealth Rock, this team doesn't need that because Forretress can do this as well. Drain Punch's functionality has already been explained, though it also lets me regain a bit of health on sufficiently weakened Pokemon in the KO range (yeah, yeah, I scavenge where I can). Honestly, I cannot see myself ever replacing Jirachi who has probably been the most consistent, if not, one of the most consistent members of the team.

---

Dragonite @ Leftovers | Multiscale
Modest Nature | 248 HP / 248 SpA / 12 Spe
Draco Meteor | Thunder | Thunder Wave | Roost

Dragonite is my all time favorite Pokemon, but I wanted to try and use it with originality for this team. Hence, I looked through the Contributions & Corrections forum in search of something original that I could use, and two things immediately stood out to me. One was that I had a ton of work to do on my Rotom-C analysis, but more importantly, I saw a very cool and original set by BTzz. Honestly, I have been so surprised with how well this set works. It effectively lures out some of Dragonite's most common counters like Skarmory and Slowbro and effectively dispatches them, with its bulk allowing it to cleave holes in the opposing team. The spread of 248 HP / 248 SpA / 12 Spe is standard for tank Dragonite, and while the lack of Speed seems disappointing, it really does not matter at all. The Modest nature is also standard, as it really beefs up Dragonite's Base 100 Special Attack which may seem weak, but it's really enough to do the job. With Multiscale, Dragonite is effectively one of the hardest Pokemon to stop.

Like I mentioned earlier, I really do not need to invest too much in Speed. That's due to the paralysis support that Dragonite provides, which is really helpful against Chlorophyll sweepers and other Pokemon such as Choice Scarf Terrakion that presume they are coming in for the kill while I set up a Dragon Dance. The key to this set is exactly that, it doesn't use Dragon Dance like most Dragonite. While the standard is Draco Meteor and Fire Blast as the two attacking moves, I chose to use Thunder because it works better than Fire Blast does under rain, and it also provides the ability to beat Slowbro, a rising threat in OU. While I am completely walled by the likes of Ferrothorn, I have Terrakion and Tornadus to clean up the mess. Roost is one of the vital moves on this set; when I Roost after paralyzing my opponent, I can make sure that I can activate Multiscale and then kill the foe, allowing me to usually paralyze an extra Pokemon.

---

Tornadus @ Choice Specs | Prankster
Timid Nature | 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Hurricane | Focus Blast | Rain Dance | U-turn

There are only a handful of words that can describe the terror that Tornadus showers upon any and everything. A few of them would be “destruction,” “demolition,” and “lolumad.” To be honest though, there is really no way to describe Tornadus's wreckage; once Chansey, Blissey, Heatran, and Jirachi are gone, I can just freely kill anything I really want to, as long as I can keep away from status. The EVs are standard fare, maximizing both Speed and Special Attack, while the Timid nature ensures that I outspeed Latios, Latias, Terrakion, Virizion, and Infernape; all of these are pretty big threats to any team. With Choice Specs, Tornadus even OHKOes Politoed and Gyarados with Stealth Rock support, and it has the ability to 2HKO even behemoths like Ferrothorn, ensuring that no team will ever get a safe switch in if I have taken out their specially based walls.

Really, there is no explanation necessary for the moves, as they are al pretty standard, but I'll share anyways. Hurricane is really the move I use 99 percent of the time; it's just that powerful. If I can see a switch in from a special wall from a mile away, I can always fall back on U-turn to switch out and nab momentum. Another thing I can do is if the opponent reliesy on Heatran to take down Tornadus, I can go with Focus Blast to grab a quick KO. My last option is Rain Dance, which I have surprisingly have actually found use for. An example was a battle with Delko, where it was 1 on 2 with his Cloyster against Tornadus and Dragonite. I used Rain Dance and switched, while he sent out Cloyster on Dragonite. When I switched back, I was able to take down Cloyster because Hurricane OHKOed it, and I had rain support. So while Hidden Power Ice may seem appealing, I can already say that Hurricane kills everything so there is no need for Hidden Power and that Rain Dance is much more useful in the long run. Truly, there is not much else to say. Tornadus really makes its brother Thundurus proud, as it can kindly KO everything that Thundurus could with only one move, though obviously it lacks Nasty Plot.

---

Terrakion @ Choice Scarf | Justified
Jolly Nature | 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Close Combat | Stone Edge | X-Scissor | Earthquake

So first off, I should clarify that Terrakion is the most fearsome physical attacker in the BW OU metagame at this point. While it only has access to weak priority, its strong base defenses, high base Attack, and high base Speed make it an amazing Pokemon in general. With that in mind, there are so many Terrakion sets to choose from, but I arguably chose the weakest in Choice Scarf Terrakion. That is for a good reason, though, as I really needed a reliable answer to +1 Dragonite and Gyarados after Multiscale was broken on the former, and Terrakion readily provided that so long as it was equipped with a Choice Scarf. While I did use a Choice Band variant in the earlier versions of this team, I found that I was never able to reliably beat threats with the Choice Band variant, even if it left a dent in literally anything that was not immune to it. While Choice Scarf Terrakion does have a lot less power than Choice Band versions, I have found it to be as powerful as I need it to be, and I don't think that I would replace it with anything.

The EVs are standard fare for any physically based revenge killer, and they serve Terrakion well. With a Jolly nature and 252 Speed EVs, Terrakion checks many boosted threats such as +1 Volcarona, +1 Dragonite, and even +2 Scrafty. Close Combat provides obligatory STAB, and it's the move that I will be using 80 percent of the time. It hits even resistant Pokemon hard, and it is probably one of the best moves in the game even if it makes Terrakion more Scizor-weak. Stone Edge is spammed the remaining 19 percent of the time because it is STAB for Close Combat resists, though with shaky accuracy. X-Scissor and Earthquake are mainly coverage, though the latter is able to hit some of the few resists to the infamous Fighting- / Rock-type offensive combination. Though Quick Attack could be used, I would much rather have insurance against the likes of weakened Reuniclus, as well as Grass-type Pokemon that can get problematic like Celebi. Honestly, Terrakion does its job well and I have never seen a suitable replacement.

---

Forretress @ Leftovers | Sturdy
Relaxed Nature | 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 SpD
Rapid Spin | Spikes | Stealth Rock | Gyro Ball

Forretress brings a solid defensive presence to my team, though it does lack the bulk of similar Pokemon like Skarmory and Ferrothorn. So why did I not choose them? The answer is simple: with two Stealth Rock weak Pokemon and a Choice Scarfed Pokemon, I desperately needed a Rapid Spin user. Coupled with the fact that rain reduces Forretress's annoying 4x Fire-type weakness to 2x, I knew immediately that it would be the perfect Rapid Spin user. The choice of set that I used is for a reason; I really needed a solid check to Choice Band Terrakion. With the power to OHKO Terrakion, protect my team, and even sponge hits from big threats like Scizor, I knew that I could simply not pass up Forretress.

The set is fairly straightforward, though I did deviate from what's considered the norm to help patch up some weaknesses on my team. The EVs are standard—pulled straight from the Smogon set on site—and they help me sponge most hits, physical and special. The Speed reducing nature powers up Gyro Ball, so it's favorable to an Impish nature. Rapid Spin is obviously the move I'll use mot often because my team has a bit of a weakness to entry hazards. Spikes are used if I ever get a free turn, as they help me gain some KOs that I would not normally achieve. Gyro Ball was chosen over both Toxic and Volt Switch because I wanted a surefire check to all variants of Terrakion. While I had Protect and Toxic Spikes originally over Stealth Rock, I decided to allow Jirachi to Wish pass and let Forretress take on its job. Toxic Spikes conflicted with the team's ability to spread paralysis, while Protect turned Forretress into death fodder half the time. Stealth Rock really nullifies my weakness to Dragonite, and it also helps out against VoltTurn.

Threat List

Now, before you read (or don't read) the threat list, the things you'll want to notice are not only that I have a reliable answer to most Pokemon, but also that my team is not based on countering specific Pokemon per se. It's an offensive team, so I aim to grab momentum early and then if need be, I will have to check or counter a Pokemon that can become dangerous. If you are going to say that I have no reliable answer to something, please note that I'm not really trying to answer that something; I am actually trying to beat it before it beats me. With that said, no team is perfect and this is no exception. Obviously, tell me if you see a problem that you think can hurt my team and I will either respond with how I beat it or try and fix it if I agree with you. Read it, skip it; I don't care. Just remember that it took 6 pages on Microsoft Word to type this thing… So in short, I apologize for the massive wall of text you are about to see. However, for those willing to try out my team, I strongly recommend you look through the threat list to find out how to play these threats.

Abomasnow: While Abomasnow is not too big of a problem with Terrakion, Jirachi, and Forretress helping out, I cannot let it set up weather against me, as I don't want to throw the game because I failed to set up my rain.

Alakazam: While it is a threat to most teams, Jirachi does fairly well against it. Also, Choice Scarf Terrakion will demolish it so long as it doesn't have a Focus Sash. It's not necessarily a big threat, but it can be dangerous.

Blissey: Though it can be a pain if it somehow manages to paralyze Terrakion on the switch, my best option is to just straight up KO it with Close Combat. However, I can paralyze it with Jirachi and Drain Punch / Iron Head it continually.

Breloom: While it seems like a fairly large threat, I will just sac either Forretress or Jirachi to Spore and then beat it down with Tornadus, my primary option. If for whatever reason Tornadus has fainted, I will have to settle for KOing it with Terrakion's Close Combat.

Celebi: While it can be problematic at times, I can safely revenge kill it with Terrakion or Tornadus, and if I'm feeling ballsy, I can try and beat it down with Jirachi. Terrakion and Tornadus are generally better options, though, so I'll lean on to them more.

Chansey: The same applies to Chansey as it did to Blissey, more or less. However, Chansey has better bulk so I cannot be reckless with Terrakion. Jirachi does better though because Chansey lacks the recovery that Leftovers grants.

Cloyster: This thing can be a pain in the ass if Jirachi is down, but luckily Jirachi usually is alright. Thunder beats it down, and Choice Scarf Terrakion will also beat it to the punch if it has one boost. While it's not too big of a threat, I must watch out regardless.

Conkeldurr: Tornadus is generally my best option because I can just kill it immediately, but if I lack Tornadus, I have to usually switch to Dragonite and either beat it down with Thunders or Draco Meteors.

Deoxys-D: There have been times before I added Forretress where Deoxys-D just made this team look silly. Not anymore. I can 2HKO it with Politoed and then Rapid Spin its hazards away later, nullifying Deoxys-D's presence. Of course, they are usually paired with Gengar, so it can be problematic, but Jirachi is my main answer to that.

Donphan: Politoed can attack Donphan mercilessly, and it cannot do much to Tornadus bar a priority Ice Shard. The biggest problem with Donphan is that it gets Stealth Rock, so I have to eventually Rapid Spin Stealth Rock away with Forretress, which can allow the opponent to set up. However, Politoed is basically my best answer.

Dragonite: My favorite Pokemon is also the reason that Forretress joined the squad; he really wrecked my team before. But now I have two Steel-types that I play conservatively with to paralyze it and then damage it or work from there with Terrakion. Terrakion also beats it even at +1 if Multiscale is broken.

Dugtrio: Most will come in on Jirachi, so I have to have Stealth Rock up already. If I don't need Jirachi anymore in the battle, I can sacrifice it while doing decent damage and either revenge Jirachi with Terrakion or Tornadus. However, it's generally best to make sure that I don't get trapped.

Espeon: Jirachi is my primary option against most Espeon sets because I can try to paralyze it with Thunder and then exploit its lower Defense by using Iron Head. Another viable option if it ever kills anything is revenge killing it with Terrakion or Tornadus.

Ferrothorn: All rain teams have trouble with Ferrothorn; that is a given. However, I can paralyze Ferrothorn and try to 2HKO it with Tornadus or go for the kill directly with Terrakion. Either option works, and I can always Rapid Spin entry hazards away with Forretress.

Forretress: I will usually just go for the 2HKO with Tornadus because Forretress cannot do too much in return, unless for some odd reason it decides to attack me instead of laying hazards. My own Forretress can clean up the mess later with Rapid Spin.

Gastrodon: Orignially it was not even a problem due to Virizion. While it can be dangerous, Tornadus and Terrakion hit it really hard allowing it to do very little damage to my team. I always have to play conservatively around these things, though. Hidden Power Grass also handles it, now that I've made the switch to it on Politoed.

Gengar: Tornadus and Terrakion both server as checks because they are faster, but Gengar usually uses Substitute so that's not a reliable option. Jirachi does over 60% to them with Iron Head, and it can avoid Disable by using Thunder on the next turn, so it's usually my best bet due to its high Special Defense.

Gliscor: Politoed is easily my best bet, while Tornadus picks up the slack. If worst comes to worst, I can sacrifice some of Dragonite's HP for the OHKO, but it's usually not worth it.

Gyarados: Dragonite and Jirachi cover Gyarados quite well, and Terrakion will outspeed the brute even at +1, so I'm never too alarmed to see Gyarados. While it can be a threat if it's allowed to set up, it's generally not.

Haxorus: Haxorus is one of the team's bigger threats. That being said, Jirachi will take it on any day if it is locked into Outrage, and Forretress is not too shabby against it either, especially if it has boosts because I can exploit its massive Speed. If it is at +1, I can check it with Terrakion.

Heatran: Politoed and Terrakion are both fairly decent answers, though I'm almost positive that no one in the right mind would leave their Heatran in on either threat. I can also paralyze it with Dragonite, and when it is dead, I will be able to Rapid Spin away the Stealth Rock that it will inevitably lay.

Hippowdon: Politoed makes sure that Hippowdon rests in pieces with a very powerful Hydro Pump, and a Draco Meteor from Dragonite really dents the thing as well. It's a good wall, but I can break through it with careful play. Forretress removes Stealth Rock when it's KOed.

Hydreigon: Since Hydreigon is so unpredictable, Jirachi is usually my best bet. It takes Fire Blasts like a champ in the rain and has the ability to paralyze Hydreigon. While Substitute variants are a bit tougher to deal with, they should not be a problem if played correctly.

Infernape: Rain is a very good counter to Infernape's Fire-type arsenal, and Tornadus screws it over royally with Hurricane. Politoed is also a decent answer with Hydro Pump, but I usually try not to risk losing Politoed. Dragonite can paralyze it and kill it swiftly.

Jellicent: Dragonite will demolish it with Thunder before getting KOed, and Jirachi does quite well as well. I just always need to be aware of Will-O-Wisp and Scald because I don't want to get burnt.

Jirachi: Probably one of the biggest threats. I can try to beat some SubCM variants with Drain Punch from my own Jirachi, but my best bet against these is to sac Terrakion by sufficiently weakening Jirachi with Earthquake. If I do not get paralyzed, then that's an added bonus.

Jolteon: Jirachi can take attacks and try and beat it, but I usually have to take it down with either Dragonite and lose health to Hidden Power Ice, or Terrakion and get locked into a move that could ruin the game. It's a pretty big threat, but it's pretty manageable.

Kyurem: Not a problem at all because it is walled all day by the likes of Jirachi, and Politoed ensures that it cannot spam Blizzard. Terrakion wrecks even Choice Scarf variants, so I experience no problems with the (arguably) ugliest Pokemon in the game. I mean come on; Game Freak is not even going to fix its mess. Black and White Kyurem? Really?

Landorus: Forretress works pretty well, and I can always Stone Edge it if it's low on health when it comes in on Terrakion expecting an easy kill. Politoed does fairly well as long as rain is up and it has enough health.

Latias: Easily one of the toughest Pokemon for me to face. I can paralyze it and then hit it with X-Scissor, but my best bet is to immediately bring in Tornadus and try and beat it down with Hurricane. Jirachi can work its parahax magic, but that's a last resort kind of thing.

Latios: It's not as threatening as Latias, so I can usually just paralyze it to render it useless. If it's a Calm Mind variant which is really rare, I'll follow the same procedure with Tornadus or use X-Scissor.

Lucario: This is easily one of the most threatening Pokemon in the game. Thank god it is so frail and is forced to run a Life Orb. Jirachi and Forretress are my main options, but if it doesn't carry Bullet Punch, Terrakion wrecks it.

Magnezone: The only Pokemon it will come in on are Jirachi and Forretress; with that said, I will never leave Forretress in if the opponent has Magnezone. However, my special Jirachi beats Magnezone 1v1 because of Drain Punch. Terrakion is there for backup.

Mamoswine: Not too big of a threat, but I cannot play Dragonite and Tornadus against it for obvious reasons. Forretress can destroy it with Gyro Ball, and later it can Rapid Spin hazards away for good measure.

Metagross: While I have not really seen many, if any, Jirachi can paralyze it and I can work from there. If it lacks Bullet Punch, Terrakion will take on weakened variants, and if it lacks Ice Punch, Dragonite can break it down.

Mienshao: While its Speed is problematic, Terrakion and Tornadus both reliably check it with Close Combat and Hurricane respectively, and Jirachi is a reliable switch in. I have not seen too many, but Mienshao is a very good offensive Pokemon so I must be careful.

Ninetales: I pressure Ninetales with Politoed and Terrakion, so I really do not face many troubles. While it changes the weather, sun is arguable the easiest weather for me to handle because Terrakion handily takes down most sun abusers.

Politoed: Politoed is never too big of a problem, though variants with Choice Specs can get out of hand if I allow them to do enough damage. My own Politoed is my primary switch because it can do decent damage with its own Hydro Pump, while Jirachi picks up the slack if need be.

Reuniclus: Tornadus is a pretty solid answer because it does between 90% - 106% with a Hurricane if it has no boosts, while Politoed also surprisingly does very well. I can always fall back on Terrakion's X-Scissor if Reuniclus is sufficiently weakened, though that is never the most reliable answer.

Rotom-W: While I don't have a dedicated counter per se, I can use Jirachi to sponge hits all day. If it comes out on Forretress to grab momentum, I can screw the opponent over by using Protect and reacting to the situation. Jirachi's paralysis makes the washing machine sad.

Salamence: Dragon Dance variants are dealt with by Forretress and Jirachi, as they aim to take down the dragon with either Gyro Ball or paralysis. Mixed variants are not a problem because they cannot boost their attack, so Jirachi does exceptionally here.

Scizor: This is where my precious Forretress comes into play. Protect allows me to scout moves, telling me whether to switch or not. Otherwise, I can always just lay hazards and Rapid Spin Stealth Rock away against opposing Scizor. If it is a Swords Dance variant, I must use Jirachi to paralyze it and take it down as quickly as possible. Politoed also does its work well against Swords Dance variants thanks to its resistance to Bullet Punch and its super powerful Hydro Pump.

Scrafty: Tornadus is quite a solid answer, and it deals with Scrafty well. Terrakion's Close Combat is my second best check, and I really have not faced any Scrafty problems.

Skarmory: Most Skarmory come out on either Dragonite or Terrakion. Terrakion will always just switch out to Jirachi, but Dragonite can straight up OHKO Skarmory with Thunder, alleviating any and all Skarmory problems. Tornadus also 2HKOes Skarmory with a resisted move.

Starmie: Starmie is probably one of the biggest threats to my team, especially Life Orb variants. While I can take it down at any point in the match after one of my Pokemon is KOed with Terrakion, I generally try and soften blows with Jirachi and then use Thunder to KO / paralyze it. While this isn't the most reliable of strategies, it works fairly well.

Tentacruel: Tentacruel is not a major threat thanks to the Electric-type moves that my team packs and Terrakion and Tornadus's heavy offensive presences. I don't have many Tentacruel problems.

Terrakion: Yeah, this is probably the biggest threat to any and every team in this metagame. My safest and best option is switching to Forretress and OHKOing it with Gyro Ball, but most players are smarter than that. I can check non Choice Scarf variants with my own Terrakion and Tornadus, though. Dragonite can also paralyze it with Multiscale active.

Tornadus: While Tornadus is a very dangerous Pokemon for all teams to face, Jirachi does very well against it. I also have a Scarf Terrakion to take it down if it ever goes on a rampage, but that's a last resort kind of thing because I do not want to risk a Stone Edge miss.

Toxicroak: I have not yet run into a Toxicroak, but I imagine that a combination of Jirachi and Forretress would handle it fairly well, especially because they are both exceptional walls. Of course, if it has no Swords Dance boosts, Tornadus will demolish it. If it is not behind a Substitute, Terrakion can take a Sucker Punch for a Justified boost and demolish it.

Tyranitar: Tyranitar is not a very big problem because Politoed is really powerful, and also because Terrakion mauls it. Even Jirachi does exceptionally against Tyranitar. I don't fear weather wars because I have so much insurance against Tyranitar.

Vaporeon: Jirachi is my primary option against Vaporeon, but I can fall back on Politoed's Perish Song to force it out and Tornadus's Hurricane if it is weakened. Terrakion's Close Combat can also help, and if Dragonite has retained Multiscale, I will use Thunder to my advantage.

Venusaur: My first option against Venusaur is usually Dragonite's Draco Meteor to dent it if sun is up. Then I work from there by re-summoning rain and then playing around it. While it is a dangerous threat, I haven't had too many problems. Of course, if I lose my rain, it really hurts.

Virizion: Really, the best counter to this is Tornadus's Hurricane. It will even take down a +1 Virizion, so I don't really have too many problems here. I usually try and paralyze it before doing anything, and try to win with Iron Head from Jirachi.

Volcarona: Rain is obviously a thorn in Volcarona's side, and so is Tornadus. My biggest check to +1 Volcarona is Terrakion who will outspeed and OHKO it with Stone Edge. I don't worry too much about Volcarona because I have it covered adequately.

If you think that I didn't cover a threat sufficiently, or that I am missing a Pokemon, just VM me and I'll either fix it or tell you why I don't agree. For those who read the threat list, thanks for making sure that I didn't spend the time in vain!

Export to Text

PHP:
Politoed (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SAtk / 8 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Perish Song

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 84 Atk / 172 SDef
Gentle Nature (+SDef, -Def)
- Iron Head
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder
- Drain Punch

Dragonite (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Multiscale
EVs: 248 HP / 248 SAtk / 12 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Roost
- Thunder Wave
- Draco Meteor
- Thunder

Terrakion @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- X-Scissor
- Earthquake

Tornadus (M) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Hurricane
- Focus Blast
- Rain Dance
- U-turn

Forretress (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 SDef
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Rapid Spin
- Spikes
- Protect
- Gyro Ball
Closing Remarks

Before I conclude, I'd like to thank a few people. First and foremost, the QC team of Straw Hat Luffy, AccidentalGreed, Pocket, and zdrup15 has been very helpful for me in the Contributions & Corrections forums, so I'd like to thank them for their help. Secondly, the leaders and team raters from the RMT forum have been extremely helpful for me in not only helping me be a better rater, but also in improving my own teams. I won't name all of them because there are too many, but they should know who they are. Another group of users that I would like to thank are my fellow auth at the Treehouse server, Expert Physics and Wario is OSSIM. Both help me test teams and in turn, make me a better battler. Also, Wario, along with AccidentalGreed and Stone_Cold put up with my request and read through the RMT, so I would like to thank them again. Finally, I'd like to thank Iconic who has been extremely kind to me and even nommed me for my badge, so thanks!

So that is my team. While it may look like standard rain offense, I tried to be creative and make a team that catered exactly to my playstyle. I think I succeeded, as it's been one of my most successful teams. So, anyone looking over my team, feel free to rate, comment, and suggest whatever you need. And if you like it, go ahead and Luvdisc it! Thanks for reading my RMT. On a side note, please do not tell me that my team is weak to something. I know exactly what my team is weak to, and I spelt it out on the threat list. Anyways, I hope you had as much fun reading my RMT as I had writing it. :)

Nice team!

I suggest using Scarf Politoed and use Choice Band Terrakion. Politoed is fully capable of being your main revenge-killer and I honestly think it'd be better if you are able to break through walls with your Terrakion. Secondly, either make Jirachi the Wish + Protect or Substitute Calm Mind Jirachi and give Forretress Stealth Rock. I'm not too sure if you'd mind the loss of the special walling thing, but Jirachi along with Choice Band Terrakion makes a good partner. Lastly, just put the 80 SDef into Defense because it's not as if you obtain any special bonuses and give Tailwind to Tornadus. It can be a life saver against sweepers late game.

I hope my suggestions help, and good luck!

Hey Harsha

Nice looking team you have here, but I got some smaller nitpicks.

First of all, I wouldn't use a Gentle nature on Jirachi tbh, it's Def stat is pretty decent even without investment and I see no way to lower it when it's not needed. I suggest a Sassy nature instead. With your team spreading around paralysis like it's nothing the drop in Speed hardly matters. You should still be able to beat Magnezone one-on-one anyway.

I also don't see the point of Thunder + Thunder Wave on Dragonite. What about Hurricane over Thunder Wave. Somewhat of a Parafusion combination that also allows you to hit Ferrothorn and similarities. Since both Thunder and Hurricane give good enough coverage by just those two you could also try Dragon Tail over Draco Meteor. This allows you to abuse your hazards too as you currently lack a phazer.

And perhaps Volt Switch on Forretress can also work, over Protect. This allows you to get away from Magnezone incase it wants to use it as set-up fodder, or just get away from a Spinblocker and switch to something appropriate.

Although not much, I hope these small suggestions helped!

Dang, Delko came to say everything what I was going to say lol. Well at least that tells you that there's more than 1 person who agrees with those suggestions.

I'm going to add something later though.

Hey, pretty solid team man. Delko is spot on on his suggestions, though I have some of my own. This team is pretty weak to Specs Gastrodon, as no Pokemon can switch into it directly because Specs Surf is gonna be an issue to every single member of this team, meaning every time it comes in on a nonthreatening attack, something is going down for real. Its really just a matter of playing around it, but again a huge issue which has no way of being played around my this version of the team unless it switches back to Virizion somewhere on this team. Maybe Grass Knot on Tornadus or HP Grass on Politoed? Honestly either could work, but they just give you some insurance, not an actual solid counter. That said, I think you should try 32 Speed on your Politoed, since it lets you outspeed all Adamant Tyranitar and smash with Focus Blast. You're not missing much bulk either, so really it's a win-win situation to Speed creep a little bit. Hope these suggestions helped!

Motagua

El Ciclón Azul
Well pretty much Delko said all the necesary suggestions on your team. So everything I am going to do is to back up his suggestions. Nice team and good job making it :).

LighTz911 said:
Nice team!

I suggest using Scarf Politoed and use Choice Band Terrakion. Politoed is fully capable of being your main revenge-killer and I honestly think it'd be better if you are able to break through walls with your Terrakion. Secondly, either make Jirachi the Wish + Protect or Substitute Calm Mind Jirachi and give Forretress Stealth Rock. I'm not too sure if you'd mind the loss of the special walling thing, but Jirachi along with Choice Band Terrakion makes a good partner. Lastly, just put the 80 SDef into Defense because it's not as if you obtain any special bonuses and give Tailwind to Tornadus. It can be a life saver against sweepers late game.

I hope my suggestions help, and good luck!
Err... Did you read the RMT? I'm pretty sure I made it clear that I would never change to ScarfToed, and those changes would make me horrendously weak to +1 Dragonite. I use Rain Dance because this is a weather dependent team, so I don't really need Tailwind. As for changing Jirachi, no can do. I don't need a SubCM set, this is more of a walling set. Besides, Iron Head is my answer to most Pokemon. Thanks for the rate though.

Delko said:
Hey Harsha

Nice looking team you have here, but I got some smaller nitpicks.

First of all, I wouldn't use a Gentle nature on Jirachi tbh, it's Def stat is pretty decent even without investment and I see no way to lower it when it's not needed. I suggest a Sassy nature instead. With your team spreading around paralysis like it's nothing the drop in Speed hardly matters. You should still be able to beat Magnezone one-on-one anyway.

I also don't see the point of Thunder + Thunder Wave on Dragonite. What about Hurricane over Thunder Wave. Somewhat of a Parafusion combination that also allows you to hit Ferrothorn and similarities. Since both Thunder and Hurricane give good enough coverage by just those two you could also try Dragon Tail over Draco Meteor. This allows you to abuse your hazards too as you currently lack a phazer.

And perhaps Volt Switch on Forretress can also work, over Protect. This allows you to get away from Magnezone incase it wants to use it as set-up fodder, or just get away from a Spinblocker and switch to something appropriate.

Although not much, I hope these small suggestions helped!
So basically, the general consensus is to just make these changes. :P
Well then, done. I'll have to test out the Dragonite though, as that's a pretty big change, but I think it can help with Gliscor.

@ Motagua and Mupa97: Basically what I said to Delko lol

NatGeo said:
Hey, pretty solid team man. Delko is spot on on his suggestions, though I have some of my own. This team is pretty weak to Specs Gastrodon, as no Pokemon can switch into it directly because Specs Surf is gonna be an issue to every single member of this team, meaning every time it comes in on a nonthreatening attack, something is going down for real. Its really just a matter of playing around it, but again a huge issue which has no way of being played around my this version of the team unless it switches back to Virizion somewhere on this team. Maybe Grass Knot on Tornadus or HP Grass on Politoed? Honestly either could work, but they just give you some insurance, not an actual solid counter. That said, I think you should try 32 Speed on your Politoed, since it lets you outspeed all Adamant Tyranitar and smash with Focus Blast. You're not missing much bulk either, so really it's a win-win situation to Speed creep a little bit. Hope these suggestions helped!
Err, I can honestly say that I've never seen a Specs Gastrodon, and that it's actually used on 5 in every 1,000 teams in OU -_-. But I'll test the EVs. I guess the thing about my current spread is that I get to set up weather against Adamant Tyranitar without worrying. Thanks for the rate.

Although it is somewhat rare, I can see stall breaker mew decimating this team, easily beating dragonite, terrakion, and forretress while none of your pokémon are really solid counters. Another big threat to this team is sub roost zapdos, who can easily set up on the same pokémon as Mew can beat. Zapdos also resists all of tornadus's moves. It can then toxic stall to stuff or hit everything for good damage with thunderbolt. Without wish, jirachi is not an excellent counter. To deal with both of the weaknesses I mentioned, I would recommend using a hydreigon. Zapdos can harpy touch hydreigon, while mew can eat a STAB dark pulse. A substitute hydreigon would probably be the primary choice here, as expert belt is kind of useless without fire blast (fire blast in the rain is dumb). The pokémon you would probably want to replace would be dragonite as they perform similar roles, although I think hydreigon would do better on this team. Hydreigon can switch directly into a psychic from mew or a resisted thunderbolt from zapdos. It also adds an electric resistance to your team

Other nitpick things.
1. Stealth rock OR earthquake over protect on forretress. Forretress will be usually 2HKOed by choice banded close combat, but you can revenge his death with tornadus and instantly regain some momentum. Stealth rock leaves Jirachi open while earthquake hits magnezone. I guess volt switch could also work.
2. Sassy Jirachi OR as I would do, substitute calm mind. Jirachi has great defense even without investment so killing it pointlessly is dumb. Substitute calm mind Jirachi is a real champ against stall, and works really well with water pulse and thunder in the rain.

@ leftovers
Modest Nature
4 HP, 252 SpA, 252 Spe
-Substitute
-Dragon Pulse
-Dark Pulse
-Focus Blast

Although it is somewhat rare, I can see stall breaker mew decimating this team, easily beating dragonite, terrakion, and forretress while none of your pokémon are really solid counters. Another big threat to this team is sub roost zapdos, who can easily set up on the same pokémon as Mew can beat. Zapdos also resists all of tornadus's moves. It can then toxic stall to stuff or hit everything for good damage with thunderbolt. Without wish, jirachi is not an excellent counter. To deal with both of the weaknesses I mentioned, I would recommend using a hydreigon. Zapdos can harpy touch hydreigon, while mew can eat a STAB dark pulse. A substitute hydreigon would probably be the primary choice here, as expert belt is kind of useless without fire blast (fire blast in the rain is dumb). The pokémon you would probably want to replace would be dragonite as they perform similar roles, although I think hydreigon would do better on this team. Hydreigon can switch directly into a psychic from mew or a resisted thunderbolt from zapdos. It also adds an electric resistance to your team

Other nitpick things.
1. Stealth rock OR earthquake over protect on forretress. Forretress will be usually 2HKOed by choice banded close combat, but you can revenge his death with tornadus and instantly regain some momentum. Stealth rock leaves Jirachi open while earthquake hits magnezone. I guess volt switch could also work.
2. Sassy Jirachi OR as I would do, substitute calm mind. Jirachi has great defense even without investment so killing it pointlessly is dumb. Substitute calm mind Jirachi is a real champ against stall, and works really well with water pulse and thunder in the rain.

@ leftovers
Modest Nature
4 HP, 252 SpA, 252 Spe
-Substitute
-Dragon Pulse
-Dark Pulse
-Focus Blast
Howdy, and welcome to Smogon. So you cited a weakness to stallbreaker Mew, but in all fairness, Tornadus OHKOes it off the bat. As for SubRoost Zapdos who is rarely seen, you do have a point, but I usually turn to Dragonite for that. If all else fails, I can break its Sub with Dragonite and beat it down with Terrakion. For Jirachi, I'm going to make the change to Sassy. On Forretress, I need to keep testing to see what I like, since right now, Protect has been working very well for me. Also, you should keep in mind that if I made the change to Hydreigon, my team would be super weak to sun teams if I ever lost Terrakion. I really need the paralysis support that Dragonite brings to the table, as well as the surprise factor. Thanks for the rate though!

BTzz

spams overhand rights
is a Contributor Alumnus
Excellent team harsha! The only thing I see giving your team problems is Rotom-W as nothing on your team likes taking a Volt Switch while Jirachi has trouble taking consecutive rain-boosted Hydro Pumps. A change of Latios over Tornadus would help with Rotom-W without changing up your team synergy too much. With Latios, you keep your strong special attacker along with a much needed Electric-type resist. Latios can also be used to nab Justified boost for Terrakion, and since it isn't Stealth Rock weak, Forretress will be less pressured to spin. You could even try a Rain Dance Latios to keep the backup rain supplied by Tornadus (Rain Dance also helps Latios get past Tyranitar). However the Calm Mind is better for handling Rotom.

Latios | Levitate | Life Orb
Timid | 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Draco Meteor | Surf | Calm Mind / Rain Dance | Recover

Great team man!

Hey Harsha!
Very Nice team
Something I was thinking would be cool was that since your team was somewhat lacking physical attacking power, you could change your Dragonite's set.
You could try something like this,
Dragonite @ Lum Berry
252 Atk, 252 Spe, 4 Def
-Dragon Dance
-Waterfall
-Outrage
-Extremespeed
It's pretty much a standard Dnite set except wtih Waterfall instead of EQ/Fire Punch, which is great on a rain team because of the rain boost.

Another really cool mon that I have been thinking about was a Deoxys-D that's unique and might fit on this team.
It's something like this.
Deoxys-D @ Leftovers/Rocky Helmet
252 HP, 140 Sdef, 118 Def
-Stealth Rocks
-Spikes
-Magic Coat
-Rain Dance/ Thunder Wave/ Ice Beam
This guy is almost guaranteed to set up atleast 2 layers of hazards. Rain Dance could be back up if someone sends out a Tyranitar or a Ninetales, forcing more switches. This could replace Forrettress and would probably make you change your Jirachi set which would give your team more flexibility.

Hope I helped!

BTzz said:
Excellent team harsha! The only thing I see giving your team problems is Rotom-W as nothing on your team likes taking a Volt Switch while Jirachi has trouble taking consecutive rain-boosted Hydro Pumps. A change of Latios over Tornadus would help with Rotom-W without changing up your team synergy too much. With Latios, you keep your strong special attacker along with a much needed Electric-type resist. Latios can also be used to nab Justified boost for Terrakion, and since it isn't Stealth Rock weak, Forretress will be less pressured to spin. You could even try a Rain Dance Latios to keep the backup rain supplied by Tornadus (Rain Dance also helps Latios get past Tyranitar). However the Calm Mind is better for handling Rotom.

Latios | Levitate | Life Orb
Timid | 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Draco Meteor | Surf | Calm Mind / Rain Dance | Recover

Great team man!
Yo dude! Thanks for the rate! I really am not going to replace Tornadus in the team, but I'll go and test out a variant of the team with that Latios because it seems pretty cool. Thanks!

APimpNamedSlickback said:
Hey Harsha!
Very Nice team
Something I was thinking would be cool was that since your team was somewhat lacking physical attacking power, you could change your Dragonite's set.
You could try something like this,
Dragonite @ Lum Berry
252 Atk, 252 Spe, 4 Def
-Dragon Dance
-Waterfall
-Outrage
-Extremespeed
It's pretty much a standard Dnite set except wtih Waterfall instead of EQ/Fire Punch, which is great on a rain team because of the rain boost.

Another really cool mon that I have been thinking about was a Deoxys-D that's unique and might fit on this team.
It's something like this.
Deoxys-D @ Leftovers/Rocky Helmet
252 HP, 140 Sdef, 118 Def
-Stealth Rocks
-Spikes
-Magic Coat
-Rain Dance/ Thunder Wave/ Ice Beam
This guy is almost guaranteed to set up atleast 2 layers of hazards. Rain Dance could be back up if someone sends out a Tyranitar or a Ninetales, forcing more switches. This could replace Forrettress and would probably make you change your Jirachi set which would give your team more flexibility.

Hope I helped!
Hey, thanks for the rate. Unfortunately, that Dragonite set is still walled completely by Ferrothorn, and I really like the ability to lure out checks to it and promptly KO them. As for Deoxys-D, I cannot do that because I really NEED Rapid Spin support. Thanks for the rate regardless.

First off, you have some weird movesets. Using Protect on Forretress makes it a poor man's Ferrothorn in the recovery department, since Ferro gets Leech Seed; if you're gonna use Forry, you have to use it in a way that's not outclassed - aka Rapid Spin andToxic Spikes. These are crucial in weakening special walls (Blissey, Tyranitar) so that Tornadus and Dragonite can run wild. Speaking of Dragonite, I also don't understand why you have Thunder and Thunder Wave on it; it's extremely redundant and one of the most fearsome things about D-nite is its ability to abuse rain. I'd drop one of these moves, preferably T-Wave, for either Hurricane or Surf. Another option is a Sassy nature (your team's paralysis support makes up for the speed drop) and Dragon Tail > Draco Meteor; you keep your STAB, albeit alot weaker, while adding a phazer.

On to the threats this team faces: Defensive Gastrodon looks like a real pain in the ass to kill. It completely walls 4 of your Pokemon, and the two mons it can't switch in on [Tornadus and Terrakion] still can't OHKO it while they will not appreciate a rain-boosted Scald in return. Standard Rotom-W can also come in with ease against several mons to start throwing around its STAB moves and Will-O-Wisp. Lastly, Sub + Calm Mind Jirachi will set up against Terrakion locked on Stone Edge, Forretress, and your own Jirachi; once it's got some boosts, it 6-0s you with Psyshock + Thunder. Wish + CM variants are also troublesome although I suppose they're more manageable because you can paralyze it and then Perish Song with Politoed, but that will cost you 2 Pokemon and is a one-time check to a threat that gets tons of opportunities to set up.

I think a specially defensive Perish Song Celebi would work wonders here. It easily fixes all the aforementioned threats, and fits in well on rain teams because it appreciates its fire weakness being halved while resisting Grass / Electric moves that are often directed at Politoed. A Calm nature @ Leftovers, an EV spread of 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD, and a moveset of Perish Song | Recover | Leaf Storm | [Thunder Wave / U-turn / Heal Bell] is ideal. Fitting Celebi in is a bit of a problem, but I think it could work over Jirachi, since their roles are pretty similar and Cele can run Stealth Rock as its fourth move. However, that means you'd lose your specially bulky steel and you'd open up a slight Latios weakness, so I think dropping Terrakion is a good idea. With all the paralysis your team is throwing around, I don't think you need a Scarfer, and you handle most set-up threats even without him. It's really up to you.

GL, hope this helped.

BKC said:
First off, you have some weird movesets. Using Protect on Forretress makes it a poor man's Ferrothorn in the recovery department, since Ferro gets Leech Seed; if you're gonna use Forry, you have to use it in a way that's not outclassed - aka Rapid Spin andToxic Spikes. These are crucial in weakening special walls (Blissey, Tyranitar) so that Tornadus and Dragonite can run wild. Speaking of Dragonite, I also don't understand why you have Thunder and Thunder Wave on it; it's extremely redundant and one of the most fearsome things about D-nite is its ability to abuse rain. I'd drop one of these moves, preferably T-Wave, for either Hurricane or Surf. Another option is a Sassy nature (your team's paralysis support makes up for the speed drop) and Dragon Tail > Draco Meteor; you keep your STAB, albeit alot weaker, while adding a phazer.

On to the threats this team faces: Defensive Gastrodon looks like a real pain in the ass to kill. It completely walls 4 of your Pokemon, and the two mons it can't switch in on [Tornadus and Terrakion] still can't OHKO it while they will not appreciate a rain-boosted Scald in return. Standard Rotom-W can also come in with ease against several mons to start throwing around its STAB moves and Will-O-Wisp. Lastly, Sub + Calm Mind Jirachi will set up against Terrakion locked on Stone Edge, Forretress, and your own Jirachi; once it's got some boosts, it 6-0s you with Psyshock + Thunder. Wish + CM variants are also troublesome although I suppose they're more manageable because you can paralyze it and then Perish Song with Politoed, but that will cost you 2 Pokemon and is a one-time check to a threat that gets tons of opportunities to set up.

I think a specially defensive Perish Song Celebi would work wonders here. It easily fixes all the aforementioned threats, and fits in well on rain teams because it appreciates its fire weakness being halved while resisting Grass / Electric moves that are often directed at Politoed. A Calm nature @ Leftovers, an EV spread of 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD, and a moveset of Perish Song | Recover | Leaf Storm | [Thunder Wave / U-turn / Heal Bell] is ideal. Fitting Celebi in is a bit of a problem, but I think it could work over Jirachi, since their roles are pretty similar and Cele can run Stealth Rock as its fourth move. However, that means you'd lose your specially bulky steel and you'd open up a slight Latios weakness, so I think dropping Terrakion is a good idea. With all the paralysis your team is throwing around, I don't think you need a Scarfer, and you handle most set-up threats even without him. It's really up to you.

GL, hope this helped.
That was a pretty thorough rate, thanks bro. As for the threats, I actually haven't faced a SubCM Rachi strangely, but yeah I have to pivot between Terrakion and Jirachi, and eventually try and paralyze it or something. It's kinda troublesome, but my best bet is playing around it. For Gastrodon, I've actually decided to replace Focus Blast with Hidden Power Grass on Politoed because I really don't ever even use it. And yeah Tornadus does fairly well against it, and I usually try and weaken it / force it out and then take it down later on. On the Dragonite set, I have really found Thunder Wave extremely useful and I'm super reluctant to give that up, but I have wanted Hurricane. I'll test out Hurricane soon (and Dragon Tail I guess) and tell you what I think. Celebi also seems cool but I really love the power of Terrakion and the ability to sponge Outrage with Jirachi. Thanks again for the rate! I'll test out those changes (particularly the Toxic Spikes one, it sounds useful for sweeping).

I was going to say something along the lines of changing Dragonite's moveset, but then I started having second thoughts about that since using Draco Meteor and lowering it's SpA is an excellent lure to set up sweepers and you can just cripple them with T-Wave as it tried to set up. So yeah, I lied. I don't have anything to add.

Mupa97 said:
I was going to say something along the lines of changing Dragonite's moveset, but then I started having second thoughts about that since using Draco Meteor and lowering it's SpA is an excellent lure to set up sweepers and you can just cripple them with T-Wave as it tried to set up. So yeah, I lied. I don't have anything to add.
Yeah, that was the basic idea I had in mind :)
On another note, I may try out Hurricane over Thunder to hit Gliscor more effectively, but the only thing stopping me is Skarmory's calcs (only between 35% and 45% IIRC). So this is just here to let you guys know that I'm still thinking about the moveset (even though I'm fairly happy with this one, actually).

EDIT: San_Pellegrino helped me fix out Jirachi and Forretress's movesets so that I got a Wish passer.

Sayonara

don't forget
Hey harsha,

I'd recommend Substitute over Thunder Wave to avoid status. You can Roost yourself back to full HP afterwards. I don't really have much to say, this team is amazing. Great work, man.

Great team you got there :]

The only thing I would personally do is replace earthquake with toxic/rockslide on Terrakion. Toxic could cripple slowbro switch-ins, and rockslide gives you a more reliable rock stab when you can afford missing.

It's not that you'll be using these moves often but I just find earthquake to be terribley useless on Terrakion.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
How do you handle standard Jirachi? Only Terakion has a slim chance to 2hko with CC after SR, but given that Jirachi is going to Protect it is really hard to do so...

Everything else simply fails to 2hko back while Jirachi can spread paralyze and slowly kill your whole team. Even your Jirachi is not a safe option because it lacks real recovery unlike the standard one.

Maybe changing Scarf Tera for Scarf Lando could help you with Jirachi, while also giving you a fast revenge killer, a momentum gainer, and a weapon to use against sand teams. Good luck!

Yeah Jirachi walls u to hell and back. If you dont want landy, try running Earthquake on Dragonite over like t-wave

Expert Physics said:
Hey harsha,

I'd recommend Substitute over Thunder Wave to avoid status. You can Roost yourself back to full HP afterwards. I don't really have much to say, this team is amazing. Great work, man.
Thanks for the compliments! San_Pellegrino suggested the same thing, so I'll definitely be trying that out.

Basti said:
Great team you got there :]

The only thing I would personally do is replace earthquake with toxic/rockslide on Terrakion. Toxic could cripple slowbro switch-ins, and rockslide gives you a more reliable rock stab when you can afford missing.

It's not that you'll be using these moves often but I just find earthquake to be terribley useless on Terrakion.
Thanks for the compliments! The thing about Earthquake is that it is my best option against Jirachi, who is one of my biggest threats. Rock Slide is unnecessary because I already have Stone Edge, so I chose Earthquake to deal with some threats better.

alexwolf said:
How do you handle standard Jirachi? Only Terakion has a slim chance to 2hko with CC after SR, but given that Jirachi is going to Protect it is really hard to do so...

Everything else simply fails to 2hko back while Jirachi can spread paralyze and slowly kill your whole team. Even your Jirachi is not a safe option because it lacks real recovery unlike the standard one.

Maybe changing Scarf Tera for Scarf Lando could help you with Jirachi, while also giving you a fast revenge killer, a momentum gainer, and a weapon to use against sand teams. Good luck!
You're right, Jirachi is a threat. However, I use my own Jirachi and Terrakion to sufficiently weaken it and then KO it, and I'll have Tornadus left over. The thing is, since no team really runs two solid answers to Tornadus, I'll be fine once I KO them. That's the point of this team; I really could not care less about countering a specific threat like Jirachi. As long as I can win the match, I'll let it KO two of my Pokemon. Also, my Jirachi now runs Wish.

Sir said:
Yeah Jirachi walls u to hell and back. If you dont want landy, try running Earthquake on Dragonite over like t-wave
Basically what I said to alexwolf. Also, Scarf Landorus would kinda kill this team because I would have no answer to Chansey, no answer to Blissey, and a less than adequate answer to Ferrothorn.

Thanks for the rates and Luvdiscs people, keep 'em coming!

Your two big threats in the form of Starmie and Rotom-W shows that your team has trouble with dealing with Water attacks, aka opposing rain teams. Rain teams carry Gastrodons and Jirachis (well CM) of their own, compounds the problem. Your best switch in to water attacks is Dragonite who will easily get worn down by SR if you can't Rapid Spin with Forry and willhave touble with the Ice/Electric attacks water is parred with.

Therefore, I'm going to second BKC's suggestion of a specially defensive Celebi,specifically the one going through QC right nowexcept with Thunder Wave in the forth slot. It will give you a status absorber you need. Alternatively, you can use a specially defensive Ferrothorn with Thunder Wave to contribute to the paralysis and set up the Spikes that Forretress did. With a Specially Defensive Ferrothorn, Jirachi and Forry aren't really needed but a slot still needs to be contributed to a Rapid Spinner. Tentacruel is an excellent Rapid Spinner in the rain, and it will give you a solid switchin to Terrakion.

TBH with such fast team mates with Tornadus and Scarf Terrakion, I don't see how the paralysis will really benefit you. A strong user of Waterfall could potentially work, as it flinch rate will give you the paraflinch combo. I would suggest Gyarados, but that would leave you (particularly your offence) incredibly Stealth Rock weak. Unless you want to use DD Crawdaunt or a Swampert, I'm going to suggest a BU Toxicroak. Toxicroak will further cushion you from Rain teams by offering a Water immunity. Toxicroak will be able to use the paralysis very nicely and give you (unreliable) priorityif you ever need it. Resisting Terrakion's STAB's is a nice bonus too.

Good luck.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Cool team, harsha2014! I like your choice of Jirachi, which can provide some essential defensive pivot, as well as Wish support for the team, and Tornadus is indeed a menace, with a powerful Focus Blast that can even take out Chansey / Blissey with after some residual damage.

Opposing Rain sweepers, such as Rotom-W and Starmie can be a major nuisance to this team. There are 2 things to mitigate this issue - make Jirachi more specially defensive. Investing in all those attack just to hit Magnezone harder is worsening Jirachi's primary performance, imo. A spread of 252 HP / 4 Atk / 32 Def / 220 SpD, Sassy Nature will allow Jirachi to better achieve its utility pupose. The EVs are given to me by SlimMan, and I believe it would help you, too. With those Def EVs, Jirachi can safely take 2 +1 Outrage from Haxorus even after SR damage. Other alternatives to Drain Punch that you may want to test out is U-turn and Healing Wish. U-turn and Healing Wish both prevents Magnezone from accumulating Charge Beam boosts on Jirachi, although the latter would kill Jirachi. U-turn is great on Jirachi, letting your less defensive mons to switch in unscathed. Healing Wish does the same, but it even heals the recipient's HP and status conditions. Wish reliably heals bulky mons, such as Latios and Politoed, but Healing Wish would make it easier to not only heal Starmie, Tornadus, and Terrakion, but provide them a free switch-in to catch the opponent wide open. Both moves are useful assets to an offensive team, and I urge you to try them out!

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 32 Def / 220 SpD
Sassy Nature (+SpD, -Spe)
- Iron Head
- Wish
- Thunder
- Stealth Rock / U-turn / Healing Wish

The other change would be swapping Dragonite for Scarf Latios. It will be much easier to dispose Rotom-W and Starmie with Latios than with Terrakion. Scarf Latios is a great check to Rain Teams and DDers. It's surprisingly bulky, so it can even check a +2 Lucario at full-health. Even more, Latios attracts counters to SpecsTornadus, such as Jirachi, Chansey / Blissey, and Tyranitar, which it can then proceed to wear it down with Rain-boosted / SE Surf or Trick.

Latios @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
- Draco Meteor
- Surf
- Thunder
- Trick

With Latios relegated as a Choice Scarfer, you can now make Terrakion a more formidable SD Terrakion. It pairs up well with Tornadus, who can U-turn out of Special Walls, which Terrakion can proceed to wreck or set-up on.

Terrakion @ Life Orb / Air Balloon
Trait: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature (+Spe, -SpA)
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance
- Substitute / Rock Polish

I am not a fan of Forretress, because it is terrible at Spinning and terrible at keeping down Spikes down when the opponent has a Rapid Spinner. I'd much rather you beef up your team's offense with an offensive Rapid Spinner such as LO Starmie or Weak Armor Kabutops. LO Starmie provides your team the revenge-killing Speed to check the likes of Tornadus, Gengar, and Virizion without always needing to resort to Scarf Latios. Give it Psyshock > Thunder so it would threaten to 2HKO Gastrodon after little residual damage and keep Blissey on its toes. Kabutops can provide you a nice check to SD Lucario, as it resists ExtremeSpeed and neutral to Bullet Punch, and it can also set up SR if need be. It can possibly pair up well with Terrakion, softening up physical walls for your Terrakion.

Starmie @ Life Orb
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature (+SpA, -Atk)
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Psyshock / Thunder
- Rapid Spin

Psyshock is good to soften up special walls, but you may want Thunder to reliably spin against Jellicent

Kabutops @ Life Orb / Lum Berry
Trait: Weak Armor
EVs: 20 HP / 252 Atk / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature (+Spe, -SpA)
- Stone Edge
- Rapid Spin
- Low Kick
- Swords Dance / Stealth Rock

Enough Speed to be faster than Lucario. Low Kick has a solid chance of scoring a kill on Lucario with Life Orb; without LO, Kabutops would need a defense drop from Close Combat. Lum Berry comes in handy when dealing with Jellicent and Sableye. Swords Dance gives Kabutops a major punch, but you may opt for Stealth Rock instead. If you choose the latter, I suggest Life Orb so that Kabutops can hit hard without boosts.

Summary
  • 252 HP / 4 Atk / 32 Def / 220 SpD on Jirachi; try out U-turn or Healing Wish
  • Scarf Latios > Dragonite
  • SD Terrakion > Scarf Terrakion
  • LO Starmie or Kabutops > Forretress
I hope the rate was helpful - have fun with your team :)

Battling 101 Seminars and #battling101

As you all know, Battling 101 runs on a pretty tight schedule. Tutees sign up for our tutor/apprentice program and, a lot of the time, they will be skipped round after round due to our limited number of tutors. However, these seminars are here to remedy the problem of limited tutors! Battling 101 seminars aim to have tried and tested tutors work with a group of users during every round, regardless of whether they are currently signed up for the tutor/apprentice program or not. This means that even if you were not picked as a tutee, you can still get some Battling 101 tutoring! Think of these seminars as a public lesson in Battling 101, while getting a tutor during the round would be a private lesson. You, along with other users who decide to join in, would be able to get hands-on experience and tutoring from some of the site's best battlers.

If you are interested in these seminars, you're probably wondering where these seminars are to be held. Luckily, Smogon uses IRC, so you'll easily be able to connect and join in. The channel we use will be #battling101, where anyone is welcome to join. If you're unfamiliar with IRC, you can always follow this Mibbit link. Channel authority will be given to tutors, so you'll be able to recognize them with ease. They'll generally be giving lessons regarding building teams or battling, so you'll even be able to gain some valuable skills by just showing up and watching the chat. Lessons will range from live battling to theorymon sessions, so you will be able to work on a wide range of skills that are necessary for competitive Pokemon, such as long-term thinking, risk vs reward, and prediction.

If you are interested, you'll be glad to note that we're kicking things off quite soon – the first seminar will be held on April 13th at 5:00 PM EDT. Anyone interested in joining these seminars should show up at that time, tutors included! The Battling 101 staff hopes to see you all there!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)