Ask a simple question, get a simple answer - VGC edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

R Inanimate

It's Lunatic Time
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Rain teams.

Seriously, they involve like no skill to use.
People keep saying that, and it's really not true at all. Or at least the no skill part. Drizzle + Swift Swim is certainly powerful, but it's not completely autopilot, as most competent players will have a way to handle it. Sometimes you'll have to improvise a little in order to get around people's counters.

With that said, rain teams are a good place to start though, since it's pretty easy to list off the threats to a rain team for a newer player, and give them a few tips on how to get around them. Provided that you are making a team for them.

Kinneas

puffoon
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
People seem to think that there is skill in Pokémon.

Honestly, it's just maths.

Use what you want.

Zog said:
Honestly though the skill ceiling's so much higher than you'd think. Anyone can play fairly well and know what they're doing, but especially in the UK there aren't many people who are very good at the game. Hax keeps things mixed up when the skill gap isn't too big, and that's about it (so long as it's not absolutely ridiculous). One crit or draco meteor miss shouldn't ever cost you the game, and if it does, you almost definitely could've played better so you didn't have to rely on that hit to win.

So pokemon is actually really, really really strategy-based and luck plays hardly any part whatsoever if you're good enough. The best players learn to play around the game and be responsible for everything that happens, and look how that works out for them: it's the same group of people winning every year. I mean look at how ruben absolutely stomped our nationals last year. No hax, he was just a flat out better player than everyone he faced. Hax is just an excuse people use for not being sufficiently better than their opponent, and unless it's really exceptional (I'm talking 4 flinches in a row off a rock sliding scarfer, quad full paralysis, 3 turn freeze etc) you are never going to be haxed out by a bad player unless you're not good enough in the first place.
rofl

I think I already asked this, but I forgot the answer and I can't find the post so

Can two people share the same game cartridge if one is a senior and one is a master.

I think I already asked this, but I forgot the answer and I can't find the post so

Can two people share the same game cartridge if one is a senior and one is a master.
No. They download the competition onto the gamecard and they can only do it once.

Hey all :)

With this wi-fi tournament coming up, I thought it'd be good time to get into VGC. I have one main problem though: sand. I do pack an Abomasnow, who does work occasionally, but I need a hard counter at times, who do you reccomend?

I'm also having a little trouble with Cresselia, what's the best way to deal with that?

Hey all :)

With this wi-fi tournament coming up, I thought it'd be good time to get into VGC. I have one main problem though: sand. I do pack an Abomasnow, who does work occasionally, but I need a hard counter at times, who do you reccomend?

I'm also having a little trouble with Cresselia, what's the best way to deal with that?

Scizor can hit Cresselia hard while also hitting the most common sand setter, Tyranitar, for super effective damage. Not to mention he also doesn't take damage from the sand because of his steel typing.

This may be an abstract question, but does anyone know where the term "hax" came from?
Derived from "hacks", the concept originally involved a belief another player had somehow altered their game to get Crits and etc. more often. When spelled or written, people realized it would stupid because it made them look childish to actually call someone a cheater, so it was then spelled differently and came to mean just lucky

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Scizor can hit Cresselia hard while also hitting the most common sand setter, Tyranitar, for super effective damage. Not to mention he also doesn't take damage from the sand because of his steel typing.
Escavalier works similarly, trading priority and coverage for special bulk and a ridiculously powerful Megahorn. It can actually OHKO physically defensive Cresselia if you give it a Bug Gem, along with pretty much anything else that doesn't resist it.

Huy

INSTANT BALLS
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Derived from "hacks", the concept originally involved a belief another player had somehow altered their game to get Crits and etc. more often. When spelled or written, people realized it would stupid because it made them look childish to actually call someone a cheater, so it was then spelled differently and came to mean just lucky
it was actually brasilians. one of their many terms that have been adopted into the pokemon lexicon

something not relative with this. guys i couldn't find my pal code in heartgold. what i should do in details please.
i have to take it from a pokemon center or something?
or it was the previous code that the previous guy write me before?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)