B&W Research Thread

If I change my Shedninja's ability to Sturdy in battle, will it act as an upgraded WonderGuard? (You can change the ability by using worry seed then skill swap)
Yes. Shedinja will essentially be immune to all regular attacks but will still take damage from things like status and Sandstorm.

One thing that it won't do that Wonderguard would is make Shedinja immune to Dragon Tail. Dragon Tail will still force Shedinja out if it has Sturdy.

V4Victini

再起不能
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnus
Yes. Shedinja will essentially be immune to all regular attacks but will still take damage from things like status and Sandstorm.

One thing that it won't do that Wonderguard would is make Shedinja immune to Dragon Tail. Dragon Tail will still force Shedinja out if it has Sturdy.
Proof: See Vid: 37-83435-94408

Yes, although it does not block secondary effects such as Scald's burn.

How do I know? Pokemon Showdown's Balanced Hackmons tier.
PS's Mechanics aren't always accurate. As in the case above D-Tail doesnt phaze Shedinja on PS but it does in-game

Weavile and Low Kick?

I was thinking of implementing a Weavile into my team as a sweeper. Upon looking for help on the Smogon website, it suggested having Low Kick as one of the moves. I can't find anywhere where it is possible for Weavile to learn Low Kick. Serebii says it is only learnable in gen IV.... any help would be appreciated, thanks.

I was thinking of implementing a Weavile into my team as a sweeper. Upon looking for help on the Smogon website, it suggested having Low Kick as one of the moves. I can't find anywhere where it is possible for Weavile to learn Low Kick. Serebii says it is only learnable in gen IV.... any help would be appreciated, thanks.
Apparently, you would have to PokeTransfer it after having tutored it the move in Gen 4.

Bologo

Have fun with birds and bees.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Hey, just out of curiosity, if a pokemon faster than mine uses Roost, and my pokemon uses Reflect Type in the same turn, which typing would Reflect Type give my pokemon?

I'm just wondering because Roost does remove their Flying-type for the turn, so I'm not sure if Reflect Type would take the target's regular typing, or their modified type from the faster Roost.

In this case, the user of Reflect Type will have the Normal type if the opponent is a pure Flying type, or the type that isn't Flying if the opponent is a Flying type plus that type. My description for Roost reads, in part: "ntil the end of the round ... effects treat user's types as the type other than Flying instead if the user is a Flying type and another type, or Normal instead if the user is a Flying type and no other type."

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
Interesting discovery regarding Fling and Eject Button usage, provided it hasn't been discovered yet.

If a user of Fling uses it to toss a Flame Orb to an Eject Button user, the burn from Flame Orb will apply before the Eject Button triggers.

I will test both of these:
The order that other ability based immunities activate (LightningRod, Storm Drain, Hyper Cutter, Clear Body, Insomnia, Etc.) when using a multi-target attack

Freeze Shock\Ice Burn: Do these moves appear as part of a combination attack with Reshiram\Zekrom's unique moves and Kyurem's unique moves? Test all combinations.
But can the ability immunity question be explained further? I'm not sure I understand what that one is looking for yet. I'm assuming the signature move question is asking for a relationship like Fusion Flare with Fusion Bolt

RockinX

My goal in life is to make everyone cringe with my puns
is a Contributor Alumnus
I think my friends triggered a glitch with Scald:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZaTdvzeSaU

Scald actually failed. It didn't miss, it didn't hit a target that wasn't there, it just failed.

My circle of friends often plays four player double battles. Four people from the group were playing, when suddenly, out of nowhere, that happened, as if the target had been statused and the Vaporeon had tried to Yawn the opponent.

Its video number on the GTS is 25-92783-45480 if anyone wants to see the whole battle. One of the guys was new, and another one forgot it wasn't a single battle, so forgive them for not having a very good battle there. Anyway, I'd like to know a possible explanation as to why it happened.

I just tested this.

It's probably because your friend must have accidentally targeted his/her partner with Scald. In generation 5, when an attack targets an ally that isn't there, it doesn't go back and target an opposing Pokemon that is there. Moreover, generation 5 uses the message "But it failed!" rather than the message "But there was no target..." (as was the case in generation 4) when an attack fails because there is no target.

Therefore, Scald indeed tried to "hit a target that wasn't there".

RockinX

is a Contributor Alumnus
I just tested this.

It's probably because your friend must have accidentally targeted his/her partner with Scald. In generation 5, when an attack targets an ally that isn't there, it doesn't go back and target an opposing Pokemon that is there. Moreover, generation 5 uses the message "But it failed!" rather than the message "But there was no target..." (as was the case in generation 4) when an attack fails because there is no target.

Therefore, Scald indeed tried to "hit a target that wasn't there".
Seriously? That's so weird. Thanks, I'll let my friends know that was the case and to be extra careful so that it doesn't cost them the game.

Kaphotics

Remodeling Kitchens
is a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Move Interpretation (from video data):

=========

Start of turn 22
Dario's Gallade used Close Combat on Acualan.
Cito's Acualan used Scald on Gallade.

Start of turn 23
Dario's Gallade used Leaf Blade on Acualan.
Cito's Acualan used Scald.

Start of turn 24
Acualan fainted!
Cito's Acualan was trying to use Scald on Gallade.

Battle Instructions (from video data):

=========
Code:
94             - Start Turn 22
01 00 00 00 00 - No PKM on Field 
21 21 b9 00 00 - Gallade Close Combat 3rd PKM
41 91 fb 00 00 - Vaporeon Scald 2nd PKM
61 00 00 00 00 - No PKM on Field 

94             - Start Turn 23 
21 21 ae 00 00 - Gallade Leaf Blade 3rd PKM
41 81 fb 00 00 - Vaporeon Scald Ally PKM 

94             - Start Turn 24
Yep, misclicked ally.

RockinX

is a Contributor Alumnus
Move Interpretation (from video data):

=========

Start of turn 22
Dario's Gallade used Close Combat on Acualan.
Cito's Acualan used Scald on Gallade.

Start of turn 23
Cito's Acualan used Scald.

Start of turn 24
Acualan fainted!
Cito's Acualan was trying to use Scald on Gallade.

Battle Instructions (from video data):

=========
Code:
94             - Start Turn 22
21 21 b9 00 00 - Gallade Close Combat 3rd PKM

94             - Start Turn 23 
41 81 fb 00 00 - Vaporeon Scald Ally PKM 

94             - Start Turn 24
Yep, misclicked ally.
Haha, I would have been ok with just poccil's explanation, but scientific proof is always awesome!

If Magic Coat/Magic Bounce reflect a move with less than 100 Accuracy, does that move have two chances to miss or just one.

For example, are both of these scenarios possible:

Porygon2 use Magic Coat!
Darkrai used Dark Void!
Darkrai's attack missed!

Porygon2 used Magic Coat!
Darkrai used Dark Void!
Porygon2's Magic Coat reflected the attack!
Porygon2's attack missed! (or 'But it failed!' I'm not exactly sure how the game handles it)

DDRMaster:

Magic Coat's effect resolves before the accuracy check. The accuracy check applies to the new user and opponent of the attack, thus here, the Pokemon that used Magic Coat (Porygon2) uses the attack against its previous user (Darkrai).

Therefore, the attack reflected with Magic Coat has only one chance to be avoided by the opponent. By the way, generation 5 always uses the message "[Opponent] avoided the attack!", never "[Attacker]'s attack missed!".

I'm set to test out the prospective Kyurem signature moves in corelation to Zekrom and Reshiram signature moves but I lost my cartridge! Oh joy.

I'm still not sure what is meant by "The order that other ability based immunities activate (LightningRod, Storm Drain, Hyper Cutter, Clear Body, Insomnia, Etc.) when using a multi-target attack"

atsync

Where the "intelligence" of TRAINERS is put to the test!
is a Pokemon Researcheris a Contributor to Smogon
I'm still not sure what is meant by "The order that other ability based immunities activate (LightningRod, Storm Drain, Hyper Cutter, Clear Body, Insomnia, Etc.) when using a multi-target attack"
Doesn't it just involve, for example, using Discharge in doubles on one pokemon with Lightningrod and another with Volt Absorb, and seeing which activates first?

Likewise, you could test other abilities, such as Water Absorb/Storm Drain against Surf, Vital Spirit/Insomnia against Dark Void, Hyper Cutter/Clear Body against Growl, Big Pecks/Clear Body against Tail Whip, etc.

That's how I interpreted the statement anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 6)