Come Back Next Year; a Regionals Warstory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dimsun

VGC 2012 Seniors Champion
Hello. My name is Dimsun, or Toler, and I recently attended the Athens, Georgia regional for the Video game.
Derp of course I did! What else?
Anyways!
So, to begin my trip, mom and I trucked out after a bad saturday. I got my foot stepped on in the baseball game(THAT was embarrassing) and also closed the trunk of our car on myself(and THAT hurt). I hopped in the car with the begginning of a headache, looking at my DS and preparing for the 5 hour ride(thanks mom!)ahead. Of course, western North Carolina, South Carolina, and northeastern Georgia were absolutely beautiful places and I was, for the most part, glad to have made the trip. We reached the hotel at about 10:30 that night, walking straight into what we assumed to be a fraternity party. I was almost cornered in the bathroom by drunk men, was scary.
I reached the bed and updated Twitter that regionals was tommorrow and I was excited, or something along those lines(I was really excited!). I went to sleep easily because of my pounding headache.

I woke up that morning at 5:15, due to the infamous "I'm excited I can't sleep" disorder. I was in the shower for like an hour, just because I knew I would have nothing to do afterwards. I ate practically nothing for breakfast before we went to the Classic Center(beatiful building, btw!). I found Team Gun-Leo first, whom were friendly(even had friendly voices!). I next found Brandon, who was too nervous to say hello. I said hello, shook his hand, talked too much to fill silence as some IRC habits just don't fade. His mom made the uncanny prediction that I would top this tourney, although I was skeptical compared to prior performance. Oh, about that.
2009:
Only Juniors year. Lost to fly salamence explosion metagross, so pro.
2010:
Lost to double blizzard miss r4 of the nats LCQ.
2011:
Lost to Talon. Oh well, gg talon lol.
2011[2]: Double crits, oh well.

So yeah, I've been pretty terrible the past few years. Anyways, once they let us into the hall(which was big but not too big), I had found Ncsbert, and Brandon, Bert, and I stood until Lucariojr(Joseph) showed up.

Eventually I met up with Kiwidawg, Green Hornet, Remien, and Russianmaid.(Rushing? Crapshouldhaveasked) Anyways, we got these awesome 2011 regs wrist bands after registration, and eventually reached a table in the back corner where we had space, because at that time our posse had picked up mudkipmaster and allen and lost the masters(presumably to go talk with other masters). We chatted for a while, and the announcer(whom was NOT Nick McCord :( ) kept yelling about registration something or other. I met TheMantyke (Another important figure) before rounds started. This is the fun part, guys.
The team... well, I'm not going to go into specifics but here's the gist.
- Latios NN Pound Cake
- Metagross
- Rotom-W NN IKEA-Brand
- Cresselia NN Luna Bean
- Hitmontop
- Mamoswine NN Cabot

Round 1 vs. Noob/learner/kindadecentbecausehehadashinymetagross 3-0 win

Kind of my only noob the entire tourney was round 1, joy. I beat him pretty easily despite missing a fake out on metagross(brightpowder). I remember his final two were infernape(no fake out apparently) and hihidaruma, both pretty easy to take out.

Alright, so I'm cool. Just won my first round with relative ease. Let's check the pairings for r2!
and I'm paired against....

r2 vs. Kiwidawg. 3-0 win.
wtfbsmatchuphax
Frankly, I thought this would be the first match I lost, and the only if I lost any(because we hadn't found Dingram at this point). I knew my nerves might betray me here.
Anyways, the match comes really close, I miss a move but then get a crit to make up for it. I don't want to reveal her team, but it was close. I managed to pull it out.

r3 vs. Ben 0-2 loss.
Oh my gooooooooddddddddddddd(no not good silly).

This guy was ridiculous. The round before, he had double crit frozen Allen with his Blizzard and some other hax and was acting like the best guy on Earth. I pretended to not know what EVs were to get revenge for Allen in a small way. The match started out decently. He Earth Gem earthquaked with Rhyperior which knocked his Dusclops far, far down and put my metagross at 6. I think he'll probably be running solid rock and try to tbolt dusclops, lightningrod. OK, the meteor mash will kill Dusclops now and then I can kill Rhyperior... right?
Nope, Chuck Testa o' Pokemon. Miss. I'm alright though right? I can protect on the rock slide and kill Rhyperior, right?
Rock slide flinch.
Great. Well, I have this last oppurtunity here if I hit Draco Meteor on this conkeldurr I might be able to substitute into beating Cresselia...
nope, my pokemon need target practice seriously, second time two rounds in a row.
Needless to say, was a frustrating match that I lost. Let's move on, shall we?

r4 vs. Random hax0r? 3-0(?) win

This guy was using quick claw terrakion which activated at one point(it was slower then mamoswine without quick claw, to put into perspective). I get a little bit lucky with a Gengar hypnosis miss(after he hits two will o wisps though) and win fairly easily from there.

r5 vs. Mudkipmaster 3-0(?) win

Mudkipmaster was a strong opponent with a strong team, still beat him though. Was a good match.

r6 vs. Dante 3-0(?) win

He was fairly strong and I kept failing by double attacking into a protect. However, my team, I feel, was built superiorly and I won.

So going into this round there have been 4 potential Smogon/Skarmbliss finalists left for a while now; Russianmaid, Green Hornet, Dingram, and I. I'm wondering if I'll be the one to get paird up against Dingram or if I'll play Green Hornet, but green hornets oldest sister, rushingmaid, was paired against me instead! Seems like a fun match.

r7 vs. Kathryn 1-0 win
Actually a really close match. Came down to something with a substitute up vs. Suicune and she wasn't running high special defense. GG.

So I come out 6-1 feeling absolutely peachy. I go to my mom and say, heck, mom, I could top for the first time! Final Standings, picture in the PICS section:
1st. DeVon Ingram (dingram)
2nd. Mark(excuse me if it's a c!) Metcalf (Green Hornet)
3rd. Mackenzie(This was actually the person who double crit me in Doswell, it's all cool though. Congrats!)
4th. Toler Webb(Dimsun) (YAY)

So, after 4 years and 5 regionals, I finally topped. I'm really excited, even now, so forgive me if that leaked in in some kind of arrogance.
After Regionals, Dingram, his dad, the Metcalf family[4], my mom, and I went to the Mellow Mushroom and had AWESOME pizza and discussed Regs and what COULD have happened. I wish we could have had some of the other seniors over there, but they left too early. Overall, awesome regional, so glad to have gone, but so unhappy that so many people got haxed. I'll add pictures+2011 story+2009 story later.

PICS:

Best sign, prepared me for what was to come.

In line :D

Looking up and away(I'm in the blue, Green Hornet is in front of me with his back turned)

Toler vs. Eujin R2 :(

Rare picture with Brandon.

Chillin' with the bro tier trophy.

Mudkip's close up, so cute.

Group photo. Left to right; Kathryn(RussianMaid), Me, Dingram, Green Hornet(Mark), and Lauren(Remien)

Zen Bulldog. If only it was Hihidaruma :(

Mom's favorite Meganium.

Final standings from 1-13.

Dimsun

What can I say? It's fairly standard. Glad I got to use Mamoswine though. Also, forgive me for my slightly short language, I am SO tired and wanted to put the story up because regs was SO fun this year.

DIMSUN YES!!! :D You finally did it!!! Great job, and I'm sorry about the hax. I know how you feel. Having battled your team, it was brilliant, and you're a great player. I TOLD YOU YOU COULD MAKE TOP 4!!!

Me and you are going to tour Philly in June :).

TrollFreak

(╮°-°)╮┳━┳ (╯°□°)╯ ┻━┻
is a Contributor Alumnus
Congratz on your placing today (damn, I really want to be here D:)

hopefully we'll meet at nats (saving up from now :)

Yeah buddy! Congrats on getting an invite and that travel cash! I will see you at Nationals, and maybe this time there will be no bs matchup hax!

Dimsun

don't let him fool you, dimsum only did so well because he was playing 12/13 year olds

p.s. I MEANT WHAT I SAID AFTER THE TOURNAMENT
Coincidentally, I played one of the only other 14 year olds in the tourney r7, so shut up :P
Added pics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)