Fourth Time's the Charm - A Philadelphia Warstory

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fourth Time's the Charm
By PungentFruit

Hey what is up everyone! PFruit bringing you a VGC 2012 Philadelphia REGIONAL experience! This was my fourth VGC Regional event that I have attended, and the outcome was fabulous! I ended up coming in 2nd place! But before I get into the details and such of my awesome time, I want to describe my previous regionals in all of their glory.

Previous Regionals

2009: VGC '09 was my first regional. After seeing an advertisement on a website, I was so excited to go. I practiced a little bit and was prepared to enter the Junior division for the first time. Unfortunately, I was not picked in the lottery and was not allowed to play. I was devastated, but I was determined to play next year no matter what it took!

2010: VGC '10 was a great experience for me! I wasn't a competitive battler at the time and only really knew about EV training, none of this RNGing or IV stuff. I entered with the following Pokemon: Ludicolo, Kyogre, Weavile, and Palkia. I played a bunch of battles in line and won every one of them. This year I met my good friends Jeremy and Justin Gumbs as well as Chalkey and JTK. When I was finally in line to play, I was extremely nervous! I barely made it past the first round. My VGC season would soon come to a close after I lose to a pretty good player in the second round.

Transition between 2010 and 2011: Still pretty annoyed after my poor showing at regionals, I was extremely determined to do much better next year. I quickly created an account on Serebii. After a brief taste of the competitive side of Pokemon, I then joined my gateway to the competitive world of VGC, Skarmbliss. After a few bad posts and terrible RMTs, I got some advice to test teams on the Pokemon Online server. I really enjoyed playing on it and it prepared me for the '11 season. I played countless hours practicing, hoping I could finally win.

2011: During the VGC '11 season, I was invited to join the IRC channel, #Seniors. Some of the best seniors from the US and Europe became Team #Seniors. I now felt as if I finally belonged in the VGC community.

The VGC was finally here. I got up very early on a Saturday morning to drive all of the way up to Newark to compete. I was so pumped as my brother and I had a couple of practice battles on the ride up.

The Team:

We finally met up with Jeremy and Justin in line. As we waited to register, I met up with Human for a bit and we talked strategy and such and about the competition. I then proceeded to get back in line where I met HitmonRocker and Applebrick. It was nice meeting them, but I was ready to play.

My first round opponent didn't really know what he was doing so it was a quick win for me. Next round I get paired up with a girl who knew what she was doing. She told me her Pokemon were RNG'd and EV trained, so I was a bit scared. I barely defeat her in a very good game and now I am confident for the next round. I get paired up with a guy that didn't RNG but did EV train, so I was ready to play. It came down to a misprediction on my part and a critical hit to knock me out of the VGC '11 season. Months of practicing are now down the drain and I was a little upset. I stayed to cheer on Solace in the Senior finals and talked with a few people before leaving.

Year of Redemption: 2012

Two Months Before Regionals

So I finally start practicing for regionals. I wanted to make sure that I was playing with the current metagame, so I started around February. I began screwing around with a Scarf Politoed and Specs Raikou team, but it wasn't solid. I then built a very solid GoodStuffs team that was only weak to rain. I asked around for the Pokemon I needed and then Dillon EV trained them for me. I was so excited to "finally" have my team on my game.

One Month Before Regionals

Once I had my team set, I was ready to practice on the GBU. Since the International Tournament was right around the corner, I knew that would be perfect practice for the VGCs. I ended up playing over 200+ battles with a record of 170-25-45~ (Wins-Losses-Disconnections). I was still extremely weak to rain, though. I then asked my #moof and #whitetrash buddy Jio for some help. He recommended Gastrodon and I was like "Duh!" why didn't I think of that! My team was finally complete!

Three Days Before Regionals

Before the regional, I wanted to make sure my game was clear of any hacking or whatever, so I started it over. I ground through the first part of the game to get the CGear to trade over any Pokemon that I may need. However, things went downhill very quickly when I forgot to trade two Pokemon over after I had started over. Great.

One Day Before Regionals

The day starts out with me trying effortlessly to find the Pokemon I need before I head into Philadelphia to check out the scene at the TCG event and pick up my brother from a high school practice test. When we finally get into the convention center, we head straight up the escalator to check it out. It seemed really small (It was) and lacked the enthusiasm at previous Pokemon events. It was pretty disappointing.

So still needing those last two Pokemon, I reluctantly ask Biosci for a Metagross and Shii for a Terrakion. I completely stress Biosci out and I'm sure I ticked him off pretty badly. Sorry about that. Finally I get my Pokemon, EV trained and all, I start to get pumped for regionals by completing about 50 matches on the GBU. I am officially ready for redemption!

It's the Final Coundown

The Team

Pre-Regionals

As my brother, my mom, and I "climb" the escalator, I see a huge line. We immediately get right in line, while mom goes to get donuts, coffee, etc. I convince my brother to get some practice battles in. He plays the guy next to us in line and loses :(. I play the guy I beat Round 1 at Newark 2010. I beat him 2-0 and start to get pretty confident. During this time, mah boi iss comes up to say hi and we talk for a little before he gets back in line. After a little bit of time has passed, Jeremy and Justin come up to get in line with us. We talk and battle before we register. After registering, we go and sit down at the tables until registration begins. We all talk about Pokemon and whatever with these two very loud but awesome twins that go into a Super Saiyan off (Pokemon style) with each other.

It's Time

Round 1 vs. Christian

I see no items on his Pokemon so I knew that this should be an easy victory. I lead with Latios and Metagross and completely sweep his somewhat ingame team. I kind of felt bad after I 4-0'd him but I knew I had to win.

1-0

Round 2 vs. Christian (Smogon Lurker)
Wonderful. Second battle into the tournament and it is against someone who knows what they are doing. First turn he leads with Gastrodon and Chandelure while I lead with Metagross and Latios. I protect with Latios predicting a Scarf Shadowball that never comes while I EQ crit his Chandelure. I then proceed to sweep the rest of his team with Tailwind up. GG and sorry for the hax.

Me next to LudiImpact
*Credit to LudiImpact for the pic

2-0

Round 3 vs. Aaron (Cybertron)
This is even better. Once I see my name paired up against Aaron, I knew this would be a very tough fight. We go to sit across from each other and he tells me that I was the last person he wanted to battle today. We shake hands and say good luck before we go into battle. We start to draw a huge crowd to come over and watch with THE SOLE ACE cheering and updating behind us. He leads with Volcarona and Hitmontop while I lead with my usual Latios and Metagross. He Fakes Out my Latios, Quiver Dances, while I Zen Headbutt his Hitmontop to KO it. I can't recall the rest of the battle but I knew I outplayed him a little and there was no bs hax in the battle at all. I now feel really good about my 2-0 win over the former National Champ and a good friend. It stunk that we had to battle so early. GG.

*Credit to Solace for the pic

3-0

Round 4 vs. Christian (Aero)
From here on out, the battles get even tougher. My next opponent recognizes my PungentFruit shirt and says that we battled online in a Skarmbliss tournament. He is a very good player. I take the upper hand quickly with my usual Latios and Metagross lead, but the tides turn after he freezes my Metagross to its death from a Scarf Abomasnow. The battle is looking bad now. It finally comes down to a paralyzed Abomsnow of my own versus his half health Cresselia. I barely pull out a win by getting 4 straight Blizzards while being paralyzed. So relieved.

I then meetup with a bunch of Smogoners including NatGeo, Sapphire Birch, Chilebowl (?), Solace, iss, Jio, thewolf, Cybertron, Applebrick, SP67, Human, TheGr8 and Maestrol. I'm sure I'm missing a bunch of names.

4-0

Round 5 vs. Edward (iss)
And it only gets harder. We shake hands before the battle of the day. I lead with my usual Latios and Metagross while he leads Zapdos and Heatran. The battle goes extremely downhill early after a Draco Meteor miss that was sure to KO and Tailwind goes up. He then proceeds to sweep my team under Tailwind. I mess around with him the whole day telling him that I hate him now because of the miss, but I really didn't mind. That loss lowered my confidence a bit, but I was determined to come back. GG man ;D

All the way down…

4-1

Round 6 vs. Victor (pipoke)
These battles just keep getting harder! I lead with Terrakion and Latios against Ludicolo and Politoed because he is using Rain. First turn I switch out my Terrakion for Abomasnow while I Protect with Latios predicting a Fake Out/Ice Beam. The battle finally comes down to my Abomasnow against his Scarf Garchomp in the Hail. The only way he can win is through a flinch that never comes. Very GG man!

Blurrrrry

5-1

Round 7 vs. Vincent (Hitmonrocker)
I met Vince last year at Newark and knew he was a very strong opponent. I lead with Latios and Metagross while he leads with Excadrill and Tyranitar. I Protect with Latios first turn expecting an X-Scissor that comes. Metagross EQ's dealing more than half. Next turn I switch out to Zapds while he X-Scissors again as a Meteor Mash his Tyranitar for the OHKO. I could tell right now that he was pretty upset, but we continue to battle. Throughout the rest of the battle, I make a couple more switches and KO his Scizor through Occa with a Heat Wave crit. Sorry about that. Very GG though!

Not paying attention, lol
*Credit to LudiImpact for the pic

6-1

Round 8 vs. Jacob (Toader2)
It was finally the last battle of the day and I was exhausted. He leads the exact same thing as Hitmonrocker and does the exact same thing, so I take the easy lead. I believe I beat him 4-0/3-0 in a pretty boring and haxless match. GG man!

*Credit to ChileBowl for the pic

7-1

Conclusion​

Post-Regionals

So after the competition, we all settle down a bit before the standings are announced. We all talk a bit about our day and who has a chance at Top4 or Top2. Once the standings are announced, I find out I finished in 2nd place! I finally placed in the Top2 and I am very happy. Congratulations to all who did really well!

Shoutouts

Awesome meeting up with and talking to: iss, Chalkey (and friend), Jeremy and Justin, Cybertron, NatGeo, Solace, Sapphire Birch, Applebrick, Aero, Hitmonrocker, LudiImpact, ChileBowl, soul_survivor (and friend), dtrain, Human, Keepbayleefing, BlitznBurst, TheGr8, Jio, Maestrol, thewolf, Drifblim, Superpokemon67, GARCHOMPzilla, pokemoniskool,TheHungerSnorlax, pwny person vgc and many more I am forgetting!

Special thanks to: Biosci, Shii, Dillon, Cassie, Jio, Human, and Charzaro for the awesome Pokemon and EV training!

Thanks for reading guys!
If you want me to take anything out or add you to the list of people I forgot, please tell me so.

That big 2nd place! Good job Pungent Fruit, it looks like the big wait paid off! You deserve that 2nd place win, and I'll try to say hello at Nationals!

Admiral Kuzan

formerly MavsObbession
LOL, smexy warstory! I find it amusing that many of your opponents were named Christian (That's my name too.) 2nd place, great job dude! Good luck at Nats!

Hope I can battle you on PO sometime!

Good warstory! We had like 1 or 2 predictions apiece in the Philly thread but proved all haters RONG! haha GL at Nats

congrats on 2nd! I found out I might not be able to go to nationals, but if I do I hope to get to meet you again. good luck at nationals!

I'm the guy you played in the final round and I agree that our battle was a little boring. Besides that, congrats on second and good luck in the future.

Congrats Mario, I really wish I brought Cresselia in our match instead, lol. Great game though, very well played and you certainly deserved the win. I'm really happy to see you do well, and to be honest, I thought you were going to win the entire tournament after we battled on GBU a few weeks before. I hope to see you at Nationals, you're an awesome kid!

By the way, 2nd place is the best place.

Biosci

Danger!?
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnuswon the 3rd Smogon VGC Tournamentis a Past SCL Champion
I completely stress Biosci out and I'm sure I ticked him off pretty badly.
Sorry if I seemed mad at the time, it's just other people asking for stuff the past week caused me to crack at that time. Sorry about that :|

Congrats on your success though! Hope you do well at nats!

16:53 PungentFruit wtf someone comment on the warstory

You're welcome.
lol

That big 2nd place! Good job Pungent Fruit, it looks like the big wait paid off! You deserve that 2nd place win, and I'll try to say hello at Nationals!
Thanks and I hope I can make it but I probably won't be able to D:

LOL, smexy warstory! I find it amusing that many of your opponents were named Christian (That's my name too.) 2nd place, great job dude! Good luck at Nats!

Hope I can battle you on PO sometime!
Yeah haha I just realized that!
And sure anytime you want!

U missed me. I was Ludi's friend there.
I gotchu now

Good warstory! We had like 1 or 2 predictions apiece in the Philly thread but proved all haters RONG! haha GL at Nats
Thanks brah. Hopefully I can make it there!

good warstory pungent! it was so chill to meet you and congratz on 2nd!
Thanks yo! You too!

congrats on 2nd! I found out I might not be able to go to nationals, but if I do I hope to get to meet you again. good luck at nationals!
Thanks and hopefully I can make it!

the thumbs up brings 2nd place glory

it is official.

great to see you again pfruit :D
Haha YES! Thumbs up all day erry day for 2nd place!

You too :D

I'm the guy you played in the final round and I agree that our battle was a little boring. Besides that, congrats on second and good luck in the future.
Thanks man and good job yourself!

Congrats Mario, I really wish I brought Cresselia in our match instead, lol. Great game though, very well played and you certainly deserved the win. I'm really happy to see you do well, and to be honest, I thought you were going to win the entire tournament after we battled on GBU a few weeks before. I hope to see you at Nationals, you're an awesome kid!

By the way, 2nd place is the best place.
Dude, thanks bro, means a lot. Yeah cress gives me a bit trouble, luckily you didn't use it :D. You're awesome too yo. Hope I can make it!
Sorry if I seemed mad at the time, it's just other people asking for stuff the past week caused me to crack at that time. Sorry about that :|

Congrats on your success though! Hope you do well at nats!
Haha it's all right :D
and thanks~

Holy crap, you had the worst matchup hax lol. It was cool meeting you irl, and good luck at nats!
Thanks and I forgot you :O

Nice job getting 2nd man! Sucks you were up against Cybertron that round, but you still pulled off well. I didn't get to see you though, I'll be sure to look out for you maybe at Nats :)

Dimsun

VGC 2012 Seniors Champion
Congrats on second! We've both waited a long time for this, lol.

OH YEAH funny phrase Kiwidawg came up with at Athens which I think applies really well to pokemon;
"Good skilling at nationals!"

You were on my long list of people i forgot to talk to at Philly. Probably because I wasn't hard trolling mudkipmaster this year.

Whoa, nice job PungentFruit! Also, I love your shirt. Next time you should get a purple one instead of pink, though! c:

ROCKIN DAT SHIRT

congrats man and you are coming to nationals!
The shirt is sick and I really hope so :/

Nice job getting 2nd man! Sucks you were up against Cybertron that round, but you still pulled off well. I didn't get to see you though, I'll be sure to look out for you maybe at Nats :)
Yeah bs matchup hax and yeah I didn't get to meet you :(
Maybe next time

Congrats on getting 2nd place, I hope I see you at nats.
Thanks bro!

Congrats on second! We've both waited a long time for this, lol.

OH YEAH funny phrase Kiwidawg came up with at Athens which I think applies really well to pokemon;
"Good skilling at nationals!"
Haha ikr! Thanks man!
And haha nice!

yessss!! great job pfruit! uwu i knew you could do it

also nice shirt wink wonk ;)))

Thanks! And the shirt is sooooo chill and wonderful!

great job man!
see ya at nats!
Thanks man and hopefully!

You were on my long list of people i forgot to talk to at Philly. Probably because I wasn't hard trolling mudkipmaster this year.
Dude I know I completely missed you :(
And hahaha that was classic

Whoa, nice job PungentFruit! Also, I love your shirt. Next time you should get a purple one instead of pink, though! c:
Thanks! And will do! I luv purple but I like pink better haha!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)