8 Simple Rules to Make Everyone's VGC Experience Better

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess I could be counted as responsible. Parents love me because I'm foreign, and therefore clearly trustworthy. My accent is just so reputable.

But seriously, I don't mind if you want me to talk to your parents if you want to chill without them for a bit.
LOL that is the best one I have yet heard

But thanks, I'll keep that in mind c:

I guess I could be counted as responsible. Parents love me because I'm foreign, and therefore clearly trustworthy. My accent is just so reputable.

But seriously, I don't mind if you want me to talk to your parents if you want to chill without them for a bit.
Lol'ed at this.

I can also vouch for making sure you're okay, Collin. I know my way around downtown and I don't do anything illegal/dumb. Plus I'll probably be hanging out with the same people that will already offer to have you stick with them. You'll be in good hands either way, midnight diner runs and wandering down Maryland Street (the main road downtown) are far from dangerous.

Heck, just show your mom the thread, if anything she'll understand from the OP that Huy's already looking out for everyone.

Haha, amazing read. I follow all the rules but I can't encourage you more to follow rule #3. I've attended to 8 events and there are always people who don't follow this rule at all. It's really disgusting, and more if you are waiting on the queue...

Even though I never got to hang out with anyone, because it was my first year and I didn't even know Smogon had a VGC section. O.o But even from my mom's eyes everyone was great, and the other parents were also very friendly. She would have no problem of me hanging out with other people my age, it's what we do all the time, I remember someone asking me the next day were was I after the event, but no one told me anything... but now this year I learned to be more open, and be the one to walk up to people rather than being that guy who just happened to be a Runner - Up at Regionals.

Wise words to live by. Any Starbucks or coffee shops nearby? I refuse to consume energy drinks.

I swear I'm going to mini-interview as many random people as humanly possible during the first two rounds. For those who remembered my "sign" back in Pleasanton: I'm going to make it much larger.

EDIT: If you see me and don't talk to me or if you're by yourself, I will walk up to you. I certainly wasn't afraid in Pleasanton, and I won't be in Indy!
Maybe you should make it with something than better than what you used last time too.

Great list overall, #3 and 6 are definitely big ones. I wish I had taken more pictures at San Diego last year. That way andrea and I could have created a massive picture collection!

Also Steak N Shake is a US Nats Tradition imo. Just don't get food from the Taco Bell at the food court near the convention center. In 2010, I used Stockpile for only 1 turn and yet I kept using Spit Up the rest of the weekend. :(

I've never been to a Pokemon tournament, but hopefully the experiences I had going to a two-day state Quiz Bowl tournament apply here.

Definitely take lots of pictures in line with Rule Six. You never know if you're going to get back, and there's always a few people you'll hang with who you know it's going to be their last trip. Also rule two. Make sure you have cash in your pocket, you owe it to yourself to hit the town.

Always, ALWAYS fuck around in the hotel room when you're not busy kicking ass and taking names. Trying to win a trophy is good, but making memories you KNOW you're going to cherish for years to come is even better. Besides, it'll take the edge off of drawing that grass energy and proceeding to get haxed to death.

Oh god, rule three. Granted, my matches tended to take place at high schools and colleges instead of cramped convention centers, but this rule CANNOT be stressed enough. There will always be some people that don't adhere to this rule, but better to be part of the solution than part of the problem, right?

You should always remember that it's ALL IN THE NAME OF FUN and a little bit for the free stuff but NOT ANY MORE since the prize support's taken a total nose dive.

BUT YEAH just do everything for MAXIMUM ENTERTAINMENT. Generally you'll have to TALK TO PEOPLE, BE GOOD AT POKÉMON and STUFF LIKE THAT.

ALSO don't be scared of people just because they're on smogon. super secret fact is, most smogoners aren't even that good at pokemon l0l so don't go resigning yourselves to defeat you lurking beta fucks. YOU'RE POKEMON PLAYERS TOO, GO OUT THERE AND FIGHT THE POWER

for extra troll potential, come as a cosplaying random and then beat everybody. i am honestly considering turning up in a ridiculous cosplay for next vgc by the way and denying that i'm zog. nobody will be able to guess that it's me.

I should probably also add, make sure you know your surroundings and places of interest. During our 4-hour wait at the Philly Regionals, me and my two friends I met there went out and got some Popeyes at the Terminal Market, and we later decided to walk to Chinatown, which was a good bonding experience, and a nice change of pace from all the tension leading up to the event. Look up some famous landmarks and restaurants around the event location, they'll make your times before and after playing that much more enjoyable.

Pro tip: don't use your phone and post in the wrong thread. Sorry, so many browser tabs, on vacation and this is all I've got D:

and ily anyways dozz

for extra troll potential, come as a cosplaying random and then beat everybody. i am honestly considering turning up in a ridiculous cosplay for next vgc by the way and denying that i'm zog. nobody will be able to guess that it's me.
YES! YES! YES!

breh

強いだね
Something to add (if this hasn't been added already):

Remember to bring food. If you don't bring food, you'll get hungry as hell. This may or may not be a problem based on the quality of food at the place you're in (for example, at Pleasanton, I swear to god the place was probably the dirtiest place to purchase food possible).

Something to add (if this hasn't been added already):

Remember to bring food. If you don't bring food, you'll get hungry as hell. This may or may not be a problem based on the quality of food at the place you're in (for example, at Pleasanton, I swear to god the place was probably the dirtiest place to purchase food possible).
That, or bring money. There's plenty of places to eat downtown. I'd suggest you visit Steak N' Shake (on the corner of Maryland and Illinois) and High Velocity (Under the JW Marriott, big crescent-shaped glass building on the west side of downtown off Maryland Street). Both of those places have delicious food and neither is too expensive.

Also make sure you know where you're going. It's not too complicated as everything's within 4 or 5 blocks of each other, but make sure you Google maps search a few things, like the convention center, your hotel, and food places. Knowing where you're going in a city is kiiind of a good thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)