Uncommon/Underrated-Movesets/Pokemon

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a Thread about Pokemon with Move-sets that are underrated and Uncommon. Post What you think should be considered one of these Pokemon. Include a Move-set and EV Spread + Some sort of Strategy to go with it. I think there are quite a bit of Pokemon that get Underrated such as Rotom-C for an example. Using these Pokemon can be a surprised to opponents since they aren't seen quite as much.
Underrated Pokemon: Rotom-C
@Sitrus Berry
Modest
Levitate
252 HP/252 SpAtk/6 SpDef

Thunder/Thunderbolt
Leaf Storm
HP Ice/Thunder Wave
Protect

Very simple set here, much like a standard Rotom-W. Thunder takes advantage of its perfect accuracy under Rain, and has boosted power over Thunderbolt. Thunderbolt is only if you are worried enough about opposing weather, the power boost between them allows Thunder some 2HKO's on common threats like Metagross. Leaf Storm is just common sense, deals with Gastrodon. Without HP Ice some Dragons like Latios or Hydreigon will wall you, not having to use Leaf Storm and lower Sp Atk is also important in Garchomp's case. Thunder Wave will make opponents slower, yet Rain Mons tend to be a bit on the fast side anyways. If Rain isn't up lowering the opponent's speed will be a very helpful tool. Protect is Protect.
------------------------------------------------
That is one of the Pokemon that I use that I think would be considered Uncommon/Underrated. Again, Please feel free to post your Pokemon/Sets. Thanks!

Solace

royal flush
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I have a feeling that most of our community members would be hesitant to post their unexpected sets, because being able to equate a username to a person at a VGC tournament can basically give away your strategy right away. I doubt anyone wants to be scouted before they've even set foot in the tournament!

Good idea in theory, but it probably won't be working well in practice.

I have a feeling that most of our community members would be hesitant to post their unexpected sets, because being able to equate a username to a person at a VGC tournament can basically give away your strategy right away. I doubt anyone wants to be scouted before they've even set foot in the tournament!

Good idea in theory, but it probably won't be working well in practice.
I see what your saying but people could give strategies that they have thought of doing but not going to use...
They could also post something that they used to use but dont use anymore...

I can go ahead and tell you a cool set that I used at regionals!

Salamence (F) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 8 HP / 248 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Draco Meteor
- Hidden Power [Flying]
- Heat Wave
- Hydro Pump

This was back when everybody was using physical mence, btw. While choice items might seem bothersome, thanks to Intimidate, it was often a good idea to switch him in and out anyway. Awesome hitmontop counter with hp flying and with DM can put a dent in most things.

I'm sure this is only something I would try but:

Flareon (M) @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Guts
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Brave Nature (+Atk, -Spd)
- Fire Fang
- Wish
- Facade
- Protect

I ran it on the PO server along time ago just for fun with T-Wave Cress and a Rock Slide Blissey (I know this is sad). Its great either in Trick Room or even with Thunder Wave support, not really meant for long use, but it will be 1HKO'ing anything that doesn't resist the move choice or who's name isn't Cresselia. Wish is there just to grant it a little more HP before it dies to Toxic, though I'm sure it would get KO'd before it got to that point. But its fun to use, and able to 1HKO 2 or more Pokemon if you use it right.

Lanturn @ Sitrus Berry
Volt Absorb/Water Absorb (depending on the team)
252 HP/156 DEF/100 SP.D
Calm
~Thunder Wave
~Thunderbolt
~Hydro Pump/Ice Beam/HP Fire
~Protect

Good bulk along with it's ability to neutralize either electric or water attacks depending on the ability, it can be very effective to switch it into these attacks if you can predict them. With Access to T-Wave it can be effective at slowing down the opponents and then hitting them hard with it's offensive moves. Alternatively you can take a little bulk out of HP and SP.D to add some SPA so it can hit a little harder. You can also change around the moveset a little to adjust it into more of a supporter for your team if need be. Also can serve as a good rain counter.

Houndoom @ Focus Sash
Flash Fire/Unnerve (once again, depending on the team)
6 HP/252 SPA/252 SPE
Timid
~Snarl
~Protect
~Flamethrower
~Hidden Power Ice/Grass

Snarl to cripple special attackers, pretty much the whole point. Good with a T-Wave supporter/Tailwinder.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
For some reason everyone always goes with max Speed Ninetales as if base 100 actually means anything in VGC. I went with a much bulkier set for my sun team with maximum Defense investment alongside its high natural special bulk, and it threw everyone off by tanking Garchomp Earthquakes and shit like that. Pretty much nothing that isn't a strong boosted super effective move is going to take it out.

Ninetales@Leftovers/Sitrus Berry/whatever
Drought
Bold, 252 HP/252 Def/4 SpD
- Fire Blast/Heat Wave
- Disable
- Will-O-Wisp/HP Ground
- Protect

Even without investment, a sun-boosted Fire Blast 1-2HKOs most stuff that doesn't resist it, which is always cool. Heat Wave is decent for the multi-target I guess but doesn't pack much of a punch. Disable is a really underrated move that caught people off-guard almost as much as the bulk - most Pokémon I've seen only have one attacking move that's effective against your mons at any given time, so block that and you've crippled them. Will-O-Wisp trolls physical attackers (especially Tyranitar), or if you don't need that then HP Ground to kill Heatran. Protect is Protect.

I'll take a shot at this.

Stoutland (M) @ Chople Berry
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 76 Atk / 164 Def / 16 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Helping Hand
- Return
- Thunder Wave
- Snarl

An incredible support Pokemon. Stoutland has it all. Intimidate, Helping Hand, Thunder Wave, Snarl. The set is designed so that it's 3hkoed by max attack non-fight gem Close Combat from Hitmontop after Intimidate (It's a 2hko with gem).

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Trace
Nature: Bold
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Sp.A
-Thunder Wave
-Thunderbolt
-Ice Beam
-Protect

This BoltBeam non-TR Porygon2 caught SO many people off-guard at VGCs, as they often expect Trick Room to come out, bringing their slow Pokes, just for me to Thunder Wave them. This was honestly one of the only successful Pokes I brought along to the regionals.

I call him the "Climatic Hunter":

LickiLicky@Sitrus berry/Life Orb
Trait: Cloud Nine
Adamant Nature
EV's: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 6 Def
-Hammer Arm
-Power Whip
-Earthquake/Return
-Return/Protect

Powerful weapons for any Climatic setter and bulky enough thanks to ev's and ability for any hits they can bring. Hammer Arm is here for Tyranitar and Abomasnow who will have a hard time against this fat boy; Powher Whip hits hard Politoed and OHKO with LO since Politoed rarely have any evs on physical defense. You can go with Return or Earthquake, because Ninetales is not that common.

Here is a Rotom-H set that seemed pretty cool:

Rotom-H@Fire Gem
Quiet
Levitate
252 HP/6 Def/252 SpAtk

Overheat
Thunderbolt
Will O Wisp
Protect

Yea, it is a Trick Room Rotom, the set would be easy to alter to make it non-TR. Fire Gem Overheat OHKO's standard Zapdos, and Top, and is very likely to OHKO Occa Metagross. But tons of popular stuff walls Rotom-H, and hsi bad defensive typing isn't hard to exploit.

Stormfront and Brandon the only ones doing this right.

Since I'm most likely not going to Nats, may as well post my team here that I was going to use.

Hariyama @ Flame Orb
Adamant
Guts
252 HP/252 Atk/ 4 Speed

Arm Thrust
Whirlwind
Protect
Ice Punch

My secret weapon anti-Trick Room counter. I would use Whirlwind to get rid of Trick Roomers and Arm Thrust would KO ChopleTars.

Hypno @ Fight Gem
Adamant
Insomnia
252 HP/252 Atk/ 4 Spd

Drain Punch
Psycho Cut
Light Screen
Reflect

I fake the Trick Room lead and end up either setting up a screen or straight smashing the opponent in the ground.

Pidgeot @ Choice Band
Adamant
Keen Eye
252 Attack/ 252 Speed

Brave Bird
U-Turn
Return
Filler

My hard hitter sweeper, I chose Keen Eyes because it would prevent Muddy Water accuracy drops from preventing Pidgeot to sweep

Cacturne @ Dark Gem
Adamant
Water Absorb
252 Attack, 252 HP

Sucker Punch
Protect
Substitute
Needle Arm

This thing is a monster and messed up rain teams pretty badly.

Slowking @ Expert Belt
Modest
Own Tempo
252 HP/ 252 Sp Atk

Flame Thrower
Surf
Psychic
Protect

Cacturne's partner in crime!

Moltres @ Choice Scarf
Modest
Pressure
252 Sp Atk/ 252 Speed

Overheat
Heat Wave
Air Slash
HP Ground

Dimsun

VGC 2012 Seniors Champion
Here is a Rotom-H set that seemed pretty cool:

Rotom-H@Fire Gem
Quiet
Levitate
252 HP/6 Def/252 SpAtk

Overheat
Thunderbolt
Will O Wisp
Protect

Yea, it is a Trick Room Rotom, the set would be easy to alter to make it non-TR. Fire Gem Overheat OHKO's standard Zapdos, and Top, and is very likely to OHKO Occa Metagross. But tons of popular stuff walls Rotom-H, and hsi bad defensive typing isn't hard to exploit.
His defensive typing is arguably pretty amazing, actually. I guess being weak to rock and water make it enough to be bad in doubles, though! I personally use a similar set but use a Hidden Power over Will-O-Wisp; that one is fairly standard and so is(in a way) this one. Although, I would like to know what utility you chose will-o-wisp for.

On a side note, it really seems to me as though each pokemon's set should be decided upon to act within its own team. This implies that with good teambuilding should come many creative sets; it doesn't seem like a good option to encourage standardizing sets into a team, even if they are creative. This would likely lower the overall quality of players, as they wouldn't come up with their own set to compliment their team.

However, that is just an opinion. I'm sure I'm wrong in some way.

His(Rotom-H) defensive typing is arguably pretty amazing, actually. I guess being weak to rock and water make it enough to be bad in doubles, though! I personally use a similar set but use a Hidden Power over Will-O-Wisp; that one is fairly standard and so is(in a way) this one. Although, I would like to know what utility you chose will-o-wisp for.
This is a completely valid point, I was in a bit of a hurry to get something else done and didn't expand about the good part of Rotom-H's defensive typing. It allows him to wall Zapdos and Scizor, and most Sun attackers. The reasoning behind Will O Wisp was that I could cripple something like Garchomp or Tyranitar I couldn't harm otherwise once I had already lowered my SpAtk with Overheat. HP Ice would likely be better on the Trick Room set I provided, otherwise Thunder Wave could be good given a partner that can handle things that wall Rotom-H.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)