Promoting the Local VGC Scene

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let me preface this to any potential mods that are reading this by saying this might belong in the Local Tournaments subforum, but this is more of a discussion about promoting VGC on a personal level than an actual tournament. Please move this thread if you feel it is appropriate.

So, this originally was going to be a thread where I asked a few questions about organizing a local Pokemon scene, except I realized most of us haven't really done anything in that regard. Because of this, I created a thread where we can discuss tactics and methods for promoting local tournaments and communities for the VGC scene.

With Duy and I just starting work on the National Collegiate Pokemon Association, I realized that we need to foster our own local communities while we're busy linking different colleges together. As such, I've been playing around with some ideas. Give feedback if you can, and post your own ideas and questions!

Advertising

I think the advertising is going to be the most important thing in the success of local play. I'm a fan of lists, so here are the ways I'd advertise. If you can, please give your thoughts on the below:
  • Getting in contact with my university and starting an official Pokemon club. However, the problem is that you need a ten person group to make an official club. I also live in an area where you could walk to four different universities easily, and making a club may commit to one university in a detrimental way.
  • Taking out ads in local school newspapers. These usually are pretty cheap, but I'm worried about people not reading them at all
  • Attacking all the campuses with fliers and posting them on a weekly (or some other frequency) basis
  • Getting in contact with a local store like Gamestop so I can put up a poster somewhere in their store. I figure with the release of BW2 in October, we have a ripe opportunity to get some VGC players involved.
  • If anyone here is a graphic designer and could help with making a simple posters and fliers, I would love you forever. I am even willing to pay a small fee for professional looking stuff.
Venues
  • Getting a regular meeting space will not be difficult for me if I can reach the ten-person number for a club. On Saturdays and Sundays, many classrooms are not in use and are designated for club use on those days. Failing that, meeting up on the ground floor of a dormitory is a viable option.
  • For tournaments and such, utilizing the aforementioned Gamestop is probably the best idea. If a BW2 launch tournament was held, we could easily get Gamestop on board for at least one tournament, as it would bring in people looking to buy the game.
Gameplay
Unlike the TCG, your tools aren't as pre-crafted in VGC. Particularly for the casual player, competitive Pokemon is a huge shock. This is going to be a huge obstacle in getting new players. This problem caused me many headaches for the past week, but Pokemon Stadium showed me the answer: rentals. However, instead of renting individual Pokemon, the player can rent an individual team. I envision DS games preloaded with two simple and easy to use teams of the common playstyles (rain, sun, TR, goodstuffs, etc). This way, you can easily throw two players into battle and have them explore the game on their own with minimal guidance.

Here, I shall keep a record of premade teams for use at any leagues looking to start up.

Trick Room (2 teams):
WIP by bearsfan092

Sun (1 team):

Rain (2 teams):
Rain team by JRank

Goodstuffs (2 teams):
WIP by bearsfan092
Skarmbliss Special by Infinity.Cypher

Hail (1 team):

Once the players have their feet wet, we can then worry about teaching them how to teambuild. Once that's done, we can show them EVing, RNGing, etc.

So again, please provide your thoughts on what I've shown here, and maybe ask a question yourself about setting up your own local scene.

I envision DS games preloaded with two simple and easy to use teams of the common playstyles (rain, sun, TR, goodstuffs, etc). This way, you can easily throw two players into battle and have them explore the game on their own with minimal guidance.
I'm going to start doing this. I can tell you from personal experiences with my local group that it is hard on some players to see their team that they love get rolled by someone that knows what they are doing. This would kind of be like much better versions of starter decks in TCG. With some "starter" teams players can learn about the format without being discouraged when they realize their in game teams aren't good competitively.

I have already talked to Mike Liesik about this at Nationals. He said that they need to see more sanctioned Video Game tournaments before they can really start pushing for more events, if we go to our tournament organizers from TCG and people like SapphireBirch continue having VG tournaments but make them sanctioned we will be able to have more things available for ourselves.

I also talked to OmegaDonut about some ideas using Pokecheck to help advance the video game. The one that is most applicable to this would be how it can be used as a hack check, if you can upload a whole team up to Pokecheck immediately and if it can be done with less effort then we have a reliable hack check that can be used on the local level. Sadly Pokecheck is not made by the official Pokemon company, however we can try to use it on our own hopefully.

Things like this have to be done in general to help promote VGC and to get us more things, say Worlds Invites from Championship points. This is only a step in the right direction and there are still things that have to be done regardless.

For the preloaded cart that might not look so good encouraging cloning, things like that they can never encourage and it will be a lot tougher.

Talking to Liesik after Nats had finished, it sounds like VGC is going to have a good upcoming year. He somewhat echoed my hopes that they were trying to make the VGC format more similar to the TCG one, with more oppurtunities to play in the form of more event. Things in the form of pre-designed rental teams and a pokecheck hack check would in my opinion be hard to work out, though they are both very good ideas under the correct circumstances. Rental teams would not be too easy for some people to use, with only a small amount of time for the player to realize EV spreads, movesets, and general strategy. I fear the pokecheck would take too long if attendance was notably high, which is our ultimate goal.

Hey guys this is Kevin Fisher, poké-poke, El-Scorcho's friend with the pink hair. I'll just repost this from the Collegiate thread.

I'm currently the vice president of the gaming club at OSU and help Scorcho run the Pokémon section of it. Our gaming club is the second largest organization on OSU's campus and I just figured I would try to give some guidelines to people just starting their organizations.

The best way I've found to get success in getting people together for something like this is first starting with mass advertising around campus, whether it be fliers, sidewalk chalk etc... Then secondly, try to make joining and participating as simple as possible, make everything you want to accomplish with your group crystal clear.

The most important thing I would say is: Make each person feel as if they belong and have a sense of worth in the club. Usually people will come to a first meeting and never come back because someone may have been rude or they weren't approached by anyone at all individually. Basically what I am saying is be as nice and understanding of each person's individual enjoyment of the game and try to involve EVERYONE, even if you have to be a little aggressive about it.

Also, a lot of people, if not all, joining the clubs will be casual players. Try not to overwhelm them and scare them off. On the first few meetings not to discuss high level meta, maybe start your meetings off with a fun multi-battle or little cup tournament. You might even find some of your casual players converted to high level players if they see your passion and drive for the game, Scorcho did it with me.

Ways to get people involved can range from having people participate with something art-related, such as t-shirt designs or possibly art competitions. In our pokémon club, we generally just have battles through a projector, but our battles aren't always serious. We sometimes battle with troll-builds we may have come up with that week, things like this inspire people who aren't very serious with pokémon.

Finally, a major part of making a successful club is to make sure and be consistent. Your weekly/monthly meetings should ALWAYS happen unless something major comes up, don't cancel meetings just because you wanted to take a nap.

We have a document camera zoomed in on a players top screen hooked up to an overhead projector. It actually works really well and looks pretty good on screen.
Aw yeah document camera. That's been our setup at UVic for the past 2 years.

And that pre-loaded cartridge thing truly is genius. I think one of the hardest things to do is teambuild, so I know if I came in with a minor knowledge (or no knowledge) of the game, I could at least potentially do well with a good team.

Our first meetings of the semester, we usually have a Challenge Cup tournament just for the lolz. I'm not sure it's the greatest at recruiting people though, since it's on the computer rather than DS, which loses a lot of personality for newer players. You know, it makes club seem a lot more calculative if no one is actually playing with their copies of Pokemon Black or White etc...

I think what we may do is use Pokemon Stadium (2) to play Challenge Cup on an actual Pokemon game. Though we may be able to get fewer rounds done overall, I bet it would be a lot of fun.

I think what we may do is use Pokemon Stadium (2) to play Challenge Cup on an actual Pokemon game. Though we may be able to get fewer rounds done overall, I bet it would be a lot of fun.
Using Pokemon Stadium is ingenious, don't know why I didn't think of that before. It doesn't matter how serious you are about Pokémon, everyone is always ready to throw down on some Pokémon Stadium.

If someone would go ahead and start on the preloaded cartridges right now, that would be really amazing, and im sure a super standard TR, rain dance, zapchomp, and a few other super easy mode teams would be really easy to make. Once those are made people who go to the leagues and/or are trying to start up a VG cub will have multiple copies of those teams on hand at all times to hand out to whoever so they dont get steamrolled with their in game teams against someone with a competitive team. Just like upload to pokecheck or a trade thread on smogon, idk. Just i'd say getting the teams out there is a step that needs to be done semi quick so we have resources to start with.

Okay, let's start dividing up teams to be created. Here are the categories I want to make:
Rain (2 teams)
Sun (1 team)
Trick Room (2 teams)
Goodstuffs (2 teams)
Hail (1 team)

I will make one TR team and one goodstuffs team. I'll put it in the OP and keep a roster of who is doing what. I expect a full PO text exported team.

JRank

Jonny
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
This rain won a 19 man regional yeah
edit: oops forgot i had nicknames on it

Politoed (M) @ Wacan Berry
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Surf
- Psychic
- Ice Beam
- Protect

Toxicroak (M) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Dry Skin
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Fake Out
- Drain Punch
- Sucker Punch
- Taunt

Ludicolo (M) @ Absorb Bulb
Trait: Swift Swim
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Fake Out
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Giga Drain

Zapdos @ Sitrus Berry
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
- Thunder
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Rain Dance
- Detect

Scizor (M) @ Occa Berry
Trait: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite
- Aerial Ace
- Protect

Togekiss (M) @ Lum Berry
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Follow Me
- Air Slash
- Heat Wave
- Protect

Hey guys just a quick heads up, in case you need any advice with anything in regards to setting up any events i.e. room, equipment hire or basically anything that you might be stumped with please PM me. Last year if you didn't know, I ran a series of Pokemon events throughout the UK under 1-up events....it was a lot of work setting them up by myself but I gained a lot experience from it which you may find useful and I'd be happy to help wherever I can.

Anyway I thought I would just throw this up here, I will be keeping an eye on this thread anyway and I'll get involved if I see anything I can help with.

Another member to keep in mind when discussing/looking for advice in regards to setting up anything like this is Havak, great guy and knows what hes doing.

Swagger

Here's the Japanese National Champion's team.

Thundurus (M) @ Sitrus Berry Trait: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 132 Def / 4 SAtk / 116 SDef / 4 Spd
- Swagger
- Taunt
- Thunder Wave
- Thunderbolt

Metagross @ Lum Berry
Trait: Clear Body
EVs: 220 HP / 84 SDef / 204 Spd
- Bullet Punch
- Earthquake
- Meteor Mash
- Protect

Cresselia (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 220 HP / 4 Def / 156 SAtk / 36 SDef / 92 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Ice Beam
- Psychic
- Swagger
- Thunder Wave

Hydreigon (M) @ Haban Berry
EVs: 188 HP / 4 Def / 36 SAtk / 44 SDef / 236 Spd
- Dark Pulse
- Draco Meteor
- Flamethrower
- Protect

Rotom-W @ Choice Specs
EVs: 228 HP / 4 Def / 204 SAtk / 4 SDef / 68 Spd
- Hydro Pump
- Thunder
- Thunderbolt
- Trick

Conkeldurr (F) @ Persim Berry
Trait: Guts
EVs: 252 HP / 12 Atk / 244 SDef
- Detect
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Rock Slide

We got the moves like Swagger.

Another member to keep in mind when discussing/looking for advice in regards to setting up anything like this is Havak, great guy and knows what hes doing.
I'm a TO, Professor and League Owner/Leader for Play! Pokemon as well. I've also helped organize our local 1000+ person anime convention a few times and many tournaments/large events. Just throwin' down another name to ask.

And yeah, that rain team JRank posted is awesome. I was worried when you said it won a Regional (thought maybe it would have something quirky on it) but it looks pretty standard and very solid. Perfect for pre-loaded teams! I would definitely say having a consolidated list of teams like that one would be amazing to have on hand for players to take up.

JRank, I added your team to the OP. Ravix, I think that team might be a little difficult for a beginner to handle, especially since there are moves like Taunt on there. What does everyone else think of that team for a beginner?

I guess you could put it down for someone who wants more of a challenge. Perhaps someone familiar with the video games but not with competitive strategy.

I think Taunt Swagger and Thunder Wave are all a bit central to the team, and also not very easy to command. There's also a Trick specs Rotom. JRank's Toxicroak is the only bit of more complex strategy involved on his team, which is nice. The Hidden Power on Zapdos is not obvious, but I feel like it's the kind of thing where you can almost feel like you've "unlocked" a level of strategy when you start using Toxicroak and Zapdos effectively.

I have another rain team (that I can post when I get home). The only thing is that it revolves around Ferrothorn and utilizing rain without relying on it making it somewhat tricky for a new person to grasp. On one hand, its a harder concept to understand (using leach seed effectively, and using rain to weaken oncoming fire attacks), but on the other its all part of the process to get better.

Zapdos @ Electric Gem Trait: Pressure
- Thunderbolt
- Heat Wave
- Tailwind
- Detect

Garchomp (M) @ Yache Berry
Trait: Sand Veil
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Protect

Metagross @ Life Orb
Trait: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spd
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Bullet Punch
- Protect

Chandelure (M) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Flash Fire
- Heat Wave
- Shadow Ball
- Energy Ball
- Protect

Cresselia (F) @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 244 HP / 228 Def / 36 SDef
- Psychic
- Icy Wind
- Thunder Wave
- Safeguard

Hitmontop (M) @ Fight Gem
Trait: Intimidate
- Close Combat
- Sucker Punch
- Fake Out
- Detect

If needed or so I can help built teams so there can be a larger selection of rental teams

Also, another idea I thought of. What if, once the club got formed, you could have a live tournament with other universities in your area to help promote VGC and pokemon. It would be something for people in the club to look forward to (other than official VGC tournaments), and would be a great way to make friends with more local pokemon players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)