National Collegiate Pokemon Association

Status
Not open for further replies.
that makes sense and i understand where you're coming from. we've been up and running for a while now and our next season starts next fall. if you guys or anyone else would like to join us, that would be awesome. i can say that Penn State would like to join your association for sure. we should talk about this, ill see if i can catch you on IRC sometime.
Our group thought about it for awhile but decided against it since you don't advocate VGC. Which is the main focus here.

I really wish University of Texas would do this, however we don't really have much of a Pokemon playing population...

While we don't have too many competitive players yet, PokeTech exists and we'd love to be a part of this. I'm Alex Sanyer, the current president of the club.
http://www.facebook.com/groups/poketechvt/
We're also coming from The Intercollegiate Pokemon League.

Edit: It looks like facebook.com/groups/ncpa is not taken. Might I recommend that an admin make the email address for the group ncpa so that the url can become facebook.com/groups/ncpa?

Beautiful, Kevin! You have just inspired me.

as far as I know, I'm the only main competitive Pokemon player at Purdue. It gets rather lonely in my gaming group that I'm the only one who's truly into competitive Pokemon. I'm pretty sure there are more players out there if I could just find them. my group of friends started a gaming group about a year ago. As the main competitive Pokemon player in the group, I now believe that I should take a much more active role in my gaming group by recruiting more Pokemon players and creating Pokemon events.

As Kevin said, Multi-battles are really fun! I remember doing them at Nationals and they seem like an amazing way to lure people into the competitive side of things. While I wouldn't want to draw them into the competitive side of things too soon, I would eventually like to get people into competitive Pokemon so that we can start going to even VGC tournaments together.
It's really awesome when you get it going and it becomes successful, but it requires a lot of work because people need to be driven and reminded constantly about it. A lot of people get bogged down in schoolwork.

As the leader of the Davis Pokemon League, I can vouch that taking a trip to a VGC event with your group is one of the best experiences I've had during the school year, despite the 9 hour drive, crazy meth ladies in backwoods trailer parks, crazy meth addicts in Methford, a 12 rack of Big Red (So Sweet, So Smooth), prostitutes outside of a Mcdonald's and a 9 hour drive back through foggy ass mountains at 3 AM (sans crazy meth ladies in backwoods trailer parks).

While we don't have too many competitive players yet, PokeTech exists and we'd love to be a part of this. I'm Alex Sanyer, the current president of the club.
http://www.facebook.com/groups/poketechvt/
We're also coming from The Intercollegiate Pokemon League.

Edit: It looks like facebook.com/groups/ncpa is not taken. Might I recommend that an admin make the email address for the group ncpa so that the url can become facebook.com/groups/ncpa?
Facebook emails have to be longer than 5 characters. I was thinking of doing N.C.P.A. but if you guys have a better abbreviation, let me know before I set the email.

posting to say i envy people who actually do this; there's a [relatively large] gaming community here but none are interested in pokemon

Everyone saying that the Pokemon scene isn't big enough where they are: get out there and start it yourself! Most of us are in the same situation, but we've gotta try to start something up because if we don't, no one will. You guys should check out my other thread about promoting the local VGC scene for some ideas on how to do this.

This is an awesome idea. Sadly, I'm unaware of anything Pokemon-related going around at my school. If anyone here goes to Cal State Long Beach and wants to start something, or knows of any sort of competitive Pokemon scene, don't hesitate to talk to me. :)

Slashmolder

'Ello Governor
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnus
Just go and find people who like Pokemon (trust me lots of people do) and takl to them about VGC. You'll be surprised about how many would be interested.

I have a question about the whole official league thing. Should I try to set up UCSC as an official league or just keep it as a school club? If it's an official league should I attempt to make it VGC only or also include TCG (I know how to play I just don't)? It also looks like they like locations that sell the TCG, is it find to host one on the University campus?

Focus

Ubers Tester Extraordinaire
I really wish University of Texas would do this, however we don't really have much of a Pokemon playing population...
You know, I go to UT and play Pokémon... but I expect to be freaking swamped next semester. Maybe that's the reason there's not much of a presence there; the classes are just too brutal to allow for much Pokémon playing on the side. Either that or people are, you know, enjoying the rest of Austin.

Just go and find people who like Pokemon (trust me lots of people do) and takl to them about VGC. You'll be surprised about how many would be interested.

I have a question about the whole official league thing. Should I try to set up UCSC as an official league or just keep it as a school club? If it's an official league should I attempt to make it VGC only or also include TCG (I know how to play I just don't)? It also looks like they like locations that sell the TCG, is it find to host one on the University campus?
Doing it either as a league or a school club is fine. If it's an official league, you should include TCG, but as a TO you should definitely put some emphasis on VGC if only because other TOs generally don't. As far as venue, your call.

This is such an amazing idea. I am going to be heading to UCLA as a Freshman in September. I have no idea what the Pokemon scene is like over there, but if there isn't one, you can bet that I'll start one and get in on this! If I can make it to Worlds, I'd love to meet up with you guys and help in any way that I can. Such a great idea! :D

Bomb idea! I'm looking forward to meeting other Smogonites at Davis in the fall; I'll be starting as a freshman.

Also, congrats on going to UCLA demetri :D

I can try to get a userbase going at my school, There's about 30 that play pokemon, but only 3 or 4 know the actual competitive aspect of it

Hey, I don't go on the Smogon threads that often, but I've already requested and been accepted to the Facebook group (I'm the guy whose profile picture has Pokemon cards). I represent UT Austin Pokemon Club and I'm all in on helping this grow. There's a team of 5 players that play competitively here. I'm hoping to get my friends at UTEP to compete too. I hope this grows to be really big!

You know, I go to UT and play Pokémon... but I expect to be freaking swamped next semester. Maybe that's the reason there's not much of a presence there; the classes are just too brutal to allow for much Pokémon playing on the side. Either that or people are, you know, enjoying the rest of Austin.
I'm no longer alone! And true about what you are saying.

And honestly, I'm not really college bound yet I'm just seeking for some opportunities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)