Ask a simple question, get a simple answer - VGC edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I'm prepping for the Hawaii LCQ and I'm retooling my drought team.

What's the best thread to post in? Here? Make a new topic? Different thread? Just solicit PMs?

I went 4/4 at the regionals, and was a hax/dumb@$$ mistake away from 6/2. So I'm fundamentally ok with the concept of my team. But it obviously could use some help.
If you want to modify an existing team, then posting it in the Other Teams section of the RMT forum would be the best way to get feedback. Just make sure to read all the rules first.

Okay, I am back with 2 more questions!

1- I have started breeding some Pokemon and was wondering if the starting stats reflect anything or show that one will be better than another? I have a spreadsheet to mark egg#, gender, nature, characteristic, ability, and then the stats. And no matter what species it seems to be 6's, 5's and 4, but some are at all 6's, and I am just wondering if its reflective of iv's or anything at all..

2- And I wanted to make sure, EV's stick with a pokemon after trading right? because I was on the trade negotiations and received quite a few high levels for some low level ones of the same pokemon, and was not sure why until I thought that possibly these high leveled ones are ev screwed?

Thanks to all, this is really starting to get a bit clearer, and I have been studying the guides, faqs and drooling with envy over the war stories from this past weekend.
Really is making these games I love even more deep, interesting and I hope to be around these forums for a long time and get to know you all better!
What you can also do to check IV's is if you have 2 DS's you can use Infrared from the C-Gear to battle which Auto-levels Pokemon to 50, then go to Summary, and input the stats into an IV calculator found on many websites.

And yes, EV's do stick. But as voodoo pimp said, I wouldn't risk using anything from the GTS in any tournaments.

What you can also do to check IV's is if you have 2 DS's you can use Infrared from the C-Gear to battle which Auto-levels Pokemon to 50, then go to Summary, and input the stats into an IV calculator found on many websites.
I just use the subway. You can only check one of the same species at a time, but it's easier than setting up a multiplayer match with yourself.

Thanks!

1*more, Im trying to make sure I dont double post, and am making sure I am looking harder for some more of the answers before I ask, but I really appreciate all your help and patience!

I have bred a couple eevee's with my Korean Ditto, and got me some bebe's!
Is there a deciding factor before I start evolving them, ie flareon should have a higher atk and jolteon should have a better speed ect?

Edit- NVM, I was asking about Tornadus, but I just FINALLY caught that mofo with a quickball, he had 3hp left, and since I got him down to his sliver of health, I have gone through a stupid 42 different pokeballs.
Thanks!

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I have bred a couple eevee's with my Korean Ditto, and got me some bebe's!
Is there a deciding factor before I start evolving them, ie flareon should have a higher atk and jolteon should have a better speed ect?
In general, you want to only give Speed EVs to the fast ones and focus on whichever attacking stat is higher (with the possible exceptions of Flareon, because it has a pretty good Special Attack stat and its physical movepool is garbage, and Umbreon, because neither of its attacking stats are very good).

However, I recommend figuring out what it is you want to get before you start breeding (rather than the other way around as you seem to be doing), and then aim for that with Everstone/Power items/etc. Or learn RNG manipulation if you want to make life easier.

hey where is the best place look for vgc players in my town on smogon if this is the best place i live in charllotesville, Va
Not really sure if there are any in there. Wait to meet people at something like a Regionals. For practice use an online simulator like PO.

Where can I find the info on BW2 and VGCs? I heard that Move Tutors from BW2 are not allowed, but I want to know where people got that info. Also, are certain DW Pokemon only available in BW2? If so, are they elligible for use in this year's VGC?

For example, I heard that DW Swinub is only available in BW2, so does that mean if I want Mamoswine to have access to its full movepool it can't be used in VGC?

R Inanimate

It's Lunatic Time
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Where can I find the info on BW2 and VGCs? I heard that Move Tutors from BW2 are not allowed, but I want to know where people got that info. Also, are certain DW Pokemon only available in BW2? If so, are they elligible for use in this year's VGC?

For example, I heard that DW Swinub is only available in BW2, so does that mean if I want Mamoswine to have access to its full movepool it can't be used in VGC?
Move Tutors being banned is from people asking TPCi directly. Whether they will still hold to this come time of worlds... someone will have to ask them again before the event, just to be absolutely sure.

As for DW Swinub, it's obtainable in BW in the Icy Cave, so they would be allowed.

Just throwing this out there but is there another viable alternative to practicing instead of PO? Besides most of the Smogon players the community there is god awful

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Just throwing this out there but is there another viable alternative to practicing instead of PO? Besides most of the Smogon players the community there is god awful
Play on the GBU, late at night if possible. That's where you'll find a wide variety teams to practice against, and many of the Japanese players are strong opponents.

Team synergy is important, but not super important. It shouldn't be taken quite as seriously as Singles, at least in regards to switching. For weaknesses, having multiple Pokemon weak to the same type is as bad as anywhere. Item choice is very important, if you need a good suggestion for a Pokemon's item, look at any VGC 2012 analysis for a standard, and likely good, idea.

Stats and moves matter a whole hell of a lot more than anything else, you could have good synergy and held items, but that wouldn't matter if you had shit in-game stats and horrible movesets.

They all matter, but in my opinion stats and moves matter the most.

hi Again =D

I am building my first dedicated team, it is not a rain team, I want to use Quailfish, and am wondering if I should stick with the poison point ability, or speed swimmer?
If I go with speed swimmer, if I am facing a rain team, it could give atleast one of my Poke's a bit of an edge, but the poison points 30% to poison is nice and a little more often used, I think.. I would appreciate any opinion!

Also, Is there going to be another Global Link Wifi Competition anytime soon? or is it usually after worlds?

hi Again =D

I am building my first dedicated team, it is not a rain team, I want to use Quailfish, and am wondering if I should stick with the poison point ability, or speed swimmer?
If I go with speed swimmer, if I am facing a rain team, it could give atleast one of my Poke's a bit of an edge, but the poison points 30% to poison is nice and a little more often used, I think.. I would appreciate any opinion!

Also, Is there going to be another Global Link Wifi Competition anytime soon? or is it usually after worlds?
Quilfish is somewhat mediocre in a non-rain team, however if you were to use it outside of rain I would still use Swift Swim, as it serves better as somewhat of a rain counter than the occasional use of poison point.

There will probably not be another GBU tournament, before worlds, but hopefully the Autumn Friendly will be on this year and that will take place shortly after worlds and will be using the VGC 12 ruleset.

Lol a few silly answers here I'll be honest.

Of course synergy's important, and so are good stats and movesets. The point is that you have a team with all of those features.

If you don't bother making sure your team fits all those categories, then what the hell are you doing?

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
hi Again =D

If you really want to use Qwilfish that badly, you forgot it also gets Intimidate. Much better than Poison Point in doubles.

The best advice I have for you, Brad, is not to listen to Zog.

Second, what OmegaDonut said. Intimidate is a great ability in doubles.

And I'm not sure if there will be one before this, but there is going to be another autumn friendly competition sometime around October. For now, simply practicing on the GBU is a good idea.

Ok I gotchu with a definition.

The VGCs (Or Video Game Championships) are a series of regional an national tournaments leading up to the world championships held by The Pokemon Company International each year. The format of battles held is doubles with usually different sets of rules each year.

Besides a competition for Pokemon gaming, it's also a huge gathering place for Pokemon fans and smogonites and is always a good time. Just going is an experience. Playing the game is half of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)