VGC Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer - Mark II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solace

royal flush
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Welcome to the new and improved VGC SQSA. The old one was over 2 years old, so it seemed like a good time to start with a fresh new thread. The OP will be updated when the VGC 13 rules come out to add that to the FAQ, but for now enjoy! Happy asking!

[jump=rules]Rules[/jump]
[jump=faq]FAQ[/jump]

[a]rules[/a]Rules

1. DO NOT ASK ABOUT HACK CHECKS OR ROMS or any other cheating devices or illegal things.
2. Your answers should contain a brief description, unless it's a yes or no question.
3. Make sure to quote the question you're answering, otherwise it can be confusing.
4. Read all the stickies in the subforum and all the FAQ before asking questions.
5. Be polite, even if someone asks a question you think should be obvious, not everyone is as experienced with VGC as you!
6. If you need team advice, you're better off posting an RMT in the RMT Section. Remember to read all the stickies there and be sure to follow the rules.

[a]faq[/a]Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What is VGC?
A: The Video Game Championships, VGC for short, is Nintendo's official Pokemon video game tournament series. The matches are double battles with Pokemon autoleveled to 50 (any moves they learn after level 50 will be retained, their stats will just be adjusted to match how they would at Level 50). It is played in person on the DS at Regionals around the country, Nationals, and Worlds. The rules change yearly, however event Pokemon (Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, Deoxys, Phione, Manaphy, Shaymin, Shaymin-S, Arceus, and Victini) are always banned.

Q: Where can I get free VGC Pokemon?
A: You can find free VGC Pokemon here.

Q: Where can I learn VGC?
A: We have a tutoring program that will pick up again once the VGC 13 rules are announced. You can find that here.

Q: What's a good set for _____?
A: We have an analyses section on site, which you can find here. If you'd like to contribute, you can help out here.

Q: Are Black & White 2 Pokemon / moves / items allowed during October regionals?
A: No, these are not allowed for October, though BW2 will be legal for the rest of the season afterwards.
**NOTE: These are VGC 12 analyses**

(^ I guess drizzle Politoed since it hinders fire type moves, which Ferrothron does not like)

Got two questions.

1. Is worlds LCQ open to anyone or did you have to earn and Invite to nats.
2. On a TR team, is it obvious that your runnin' TR if your team is Marowak, Zapdos, Musharna, Jellicent, Hariyama, and Registeel. If it is obvious how do I disguise it a little better.

Oh, okay. Thanks! I was thinking on using him as a counter against TR and weather teams, both of whom I often struggle against. I would choose TTar, but he's too frail. He often succumbs to fighting-type moves in an instant, which I don't want to worry about.

(^ I guess drizzle Politoed since it hinders fire type moves, which Ferrothron does not like)

Got two questions.

2. On a TR team, is it obvious that your runnin' TR if your team is Marowak, Zapdos, Musharna, Jellicent, Hariyama, and Registeel. If it is obvious how do I disguise it a little better.

1. No invites are needed for lcq

2.Pretty much hariyama and marowak are huge indications of a trick room team.

Solace

royal flush
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Got two questions.

Worlds LCQ was open to anyone who could make it over to Hawaii to play.

All those Pokemon aside from Zapdos are pretty slow, making it seem like an obvious TR team. It's pretty hard to disguise a core like that unless you'd want to be making massive changes.

What's a good moveset / nature / EV spread for Choice Scarf Heatran? I'm not sure what I should aim to outspeed (outspeeding base 130s require a +Spe nature and substantial EV investment).

As for the moveset, I'm thinking Heat Wave, HP Ice, Overheat, and Earth Power. Explosion is also a possibility.

Hey does anyone know when and were the next years tournaments are being held and where is the best place to find a group of people to train with and shoot of ideas and other stuff with

Aim to outspeed Scarf Abomasnow? I think that's the fastest common threat that Heatran counters.
Thanks for the suggestion. That's 132 HP / 252 SpA / 124 Spe if Timid, or 44 HP / 252 SpA / 212 Spe if Modest. Which do you think would be better - the bulkier one (Timid), or the more powerful one (Modest)? Also, was the moveset I suggested good? I'm guessing that Explosion isn't really worth it (please correct me if I'm wrong).

Hey does anyone know when and were the next years tournaments are being held and where is the best place to find a group of people to train with and shoot of ideas and other stuff with
Regionals will be this fall, winter, and spring - few locations have been confirmed. Salt Lake City, UT is in April I can tell you right now (and there won't be any others in the west for spring)

Nationals will most likely be late june/early july - same location as the last few years.

Worlds '13 has not had it's location announced yet (tomorrow evening) - it will be mid-august as always.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
This is all the information we have so far, I think http://nuggetbridge.com/news/vgc-13-season-to-include-3-regional-dates/
In addition to this forum, you can also practice on Pokémon Online.
Thanks for the suggestion. That's 132 HP / 252 SpA / 124 Spe if Timid, or 44 HP / 252 SpA / 212 Spe if Modest. Which do you think would be better - the bulkier one (Timid), or the more powerful one (Modest)? Also, was the moveset I suggested good? I'm guessing that Explosion isn't really worth it (please correct me if I'm wrong).
I'd go Modest, it's only 11 fewer HP and you want to make that Heat Wave as strong as possible.

I bred a DW Lickitung to pass down cloud nine, gave it eviolite and bred til I got the IV's to set it up for a Steel Hidden Power. He is kinda my anti-t-tar and with his STAB'ed Round attack, hes been able to really help me learn against some walls and dragon types, but I am wondering if it is too small of a niche to keep on a viable team? he doesnt really fit in on a weather team, and he never seems to last that long lol so far thou it has had a bit of shock value thou, but I am really unwary about the long term staying power she lacks, any suggestions?

I bred a DW Lickitung to pass down cloud nine, gave it eviolite and bred til I got the IV's to set it up for a Steel Hidden Power. He is kinda my anti-t-tar and with his STAB'ed Round attack, hes been able to really help me learn against some walls and dragon types, but I am wondering if it is too small of a niche to keep on a viable team? he doesnt really fit in on a weather team, and he never seems to last that long lol so far thou it has had a bit of shock value thou, but I am really unwary about the long term staying power she lacks, any suggestions?
Don't use HP Steel, just don't. It covers nothing else relevant, all the stuff it can hit is weak to something else in Licki's movepool. What moveset and EV spread are you using?

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
Lickitung learns Power Whip, Earthquake, Brick Break, Hammer Arm, and Aqua Tail (plus Muddy Water and HP Fighting if you really want to use a special move, but its physical movepool is much better overall), all of which are much better options against Tyranitar and the metagame in general. HP Steel is always terrible, anything that might actually want to use it has a better option available.

I have a question but idk if I'll get the kind of response I'm looking for: Why can't Ray be beaten when it matters most?

lol But here's one that you guys might be able to answer:
Is there any word of where Worlds 2013 will be held at yet?

Don't use HP Steel, just don't. It covers nothing else relevant, all the stuff it can hit is weak to something else in Licki's movepool. What moveset and EV spread are you using?
My Licki's got HP 70 Steel, Round, Earthquake to compliment my gravity, and blizzard.
He's been Ev trained 196 HP / 236 SPA / 78 ATK,

The HP steel has done pretty good damage for me but I am definitely re thinking it now,
and with the eviolite boost to his defenses I have been pretty happy with it.

Should I switch round for Powerwhip, or keep it and ditch the Hidden power and replace it with a water type attack or power whip?

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
Honestly, Round isn't a very good choice either. You'd probably see a significant damage improvement if you switched to Return/Body Slam and focused the EVs more into Attack. And Power Whip would hit Tyranitar much harder either way, as well as dealing with Politoed and other Water-types.

Okay, that makes sense, should I put 252 to ATk 62 SPA and stick with 196 hp and go with STAB-Return STAB -bodyslam power whip, and use blizzard instead of earthquake (again for my gravity compliment)

Ive been told before why Gravity is more of a gimmick than a real strategy, but I am still kinda attached to it for now lol

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
I've tried a few different Gravity teams (both singles and doubles), and honestly the only one that was very successful was the sun team that abused 100% accurate Sleep Powders. The bonuses it gives just aren't really worth the setup turn compared to other field effects.

Edit: actually, I also did pretty well with a Gravity/Zap Cannon/Blizzard Porygon2, but the rest of the team didn't really rely on it at all so I wouldn't count that.

I only have GBU doubles access to practice with, but so far with my latest team im at 14W-6L-8DC
its a rain gravity team, and the 100% accurate blizzards and earthquakes have been nice. Ive ditched almost all of my entry hazzards for more variety in attack types, and using more STAB bonuses
What would you recommend for his hp ev's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)