5th Gen OU Analysis Index - 89 BW2 Revamps On Site!

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
I'm unreserving Smeargle. Honestly, I've been trying to get it to work, but I honestly think the fact that it's both frail and slow makes it not worthy of an OU analysis. In addition, SmashPass is done better by Gorebyss and Smeargle can't actually Baton Pass many relevant moves that nothing else can (except maybe Ingrain, but on a dedicated Baton Pass chain why not just use Magic Bounce Espeon?).

That's just what I think about Smeargle, though. If someone thinks it's viable in OU and wants to do analysis on it I can't stop them.

Mr. Uncompetitive

Ugh Cough! Cough! Splutter!
is a Contributor Alumnus
That's just what I think about Smeargle, though. If someone thinks it's viable in OU and wants to do analysis on it I can't stop them.
Yanmega has been going quite slowly (I have a skeleton done but only jc has posted anything on the thread) so I'm up for reserving Smeargle, if no one else will that is.

EDIT: Yeah I'll keep Smeargle, despite my lack of experience in Baton Passing (I have friends who can teach me how to pull it off well though). If someone else wants to take it, though, I'll give it to them unless I'm progressing rather well. Sorry if I was a bit indecisive

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
from what I looked at Slowking seems to be a pretty minor update, does it need a complete re-write or just a few things here and there and maybe a look at the EV spreads?

jc104

Humblest person ever
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
There are actually quite a few things that might need changing for Slowking:

- Trick is legal with Regenerator, which might make a Choice Specs set viable
- Defensive NP looks extremely questionable. I know NP is one of the main things Slowking has over Slowbro, but that most certainly doesn't make it good.
- While Slowking is not a bad choice on a TR team, TR is a pretty questionable strategy generally. Set could be removed.
- Tank set is a great check to Keldeo + all those other water-type moves being spammed in rain. Might want a different spread, and also might want Psyshock > Psychic.
- Possibility of regenerator core with Amoonguss.

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
ok so basically I need to:
- remove everything but tank
- add specs
- mention great keldeo + rain counter
- different tank spread
- psyshock>psychic
- regenerator core w/ amoonguss

jc104

Humblest person ever
You don't have to remove them necessarily, but their place in the analysis has to be considered. If you find either of them to be good, then by all means put them in and explain why you did so. The specs set is in a similar boat; it needs considering.

Mr. Uncompetitive

Ugh Cough! Cough! Splutter!
is a Contributor Alumnus
I'm no longer working on Smeargle, it is now in pokemon0078's possession as I fail to do it justice. I'm still waiting on Yanmega, I might bump it if I have to. Also, I might do some further testing of Yanmega since it has been a while and I might need edits.

So... what happened with Gastrodon? It's not mentioned in the BW2 section, and I can't find anything about it in any of the QC revamp lists. Was it forgotten or am I missing something? If there is a mistake and it's deemed worthy of a revamp, I'd like to reserve it.

jc104

Humblest person ever
Swampert's update is already in progress. There are currently no analyses that have been declared in need of an update and that are available. You can make a case for another though if you wish.

There are currently no analyses that have been declared in need of an update and that are available. You can make a case for another though if you wish.
This was sort of directed at the Swameprt post, but I guess this applies to Gastrodon too. I'm thinking that Gastrodon's current analysis may warrant a revamp. I'm not so sure about the viability of Gastrodon's Choice Specs set to start. I feel like it doesn't utilize it's anti-rain niche particularly well, since practically all rain teams are offense right now, and Specs Gastrodon only really works against rain stall. It's piss weak without the Storm Drain Boost, and can't do much even if it does get teh boost against rain offense since it will just be outsped and KOd. Keldeo also seems to fill this role better due to it's speed, better STABs, and higher unconditional power. I do need to test this more though. I'm also thinking that the secondary slashes on the Tank set should be relegated to AC since the threats its' supposed to be walling such as SubCM users have a field day with it otherwise. Finally, although this may just be OO material, a trapper set may be viable now that Gastrodon gets Block to use alongside counter and Mirror Coat. Again, i need to test thsi before I can give anything definite.

EDIT: Okay, thanks for clearing that up.

jc104

Humblest person ever
I disagree with regard to the defensive set. Scald is just one of the best moves in the game, and so I feel that it is sensible for the move to be slashed even if Gastrodon's coverage takes a bit of a hit. Secondly, Earth Power is clearly the superior option if you're not worried about Sub CM Jirachi (which I presume some teams aren't), because it's boosted by Storm Drain apart from anything else. Trapper set is just total rubbish sorry. Outclassed by Wobb and Gothitelle.

As for the specs set, I'll have a chat with QC. If it needs to be removed that still will not require a full update; it can be done easily on the SCMS.

edit: If Gastrodon is going to get an update, it might be to add a Physically defensive set, and to consider slashing LO on the specs set and calling it "offensive".

Okay, my start on Tenta will be a bit delayed due to some passport problems. Coming back later today, I will start tomorrow.

Jukain

!_!
ugh I haven't been posting updates here

Lilligant and Choice Specs Slowking need one more GP check before they are ready to go on-site

Smeargle is ready for GP checks

and if possible I'd like to take Harsha's Empoleon skeleton, which is through QC, add a SubPetaya set, and then write it up

EDIT: well I guess I have to add the BW2 threats as well

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I would like to take over Snorlax from ScarfWynaut, seeing as the Snorlax thread has been moved to L&O.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)