Underused Pokemon in the Balanced Hackmons Metagame

Status
Not open for further replies.

verbatim

[PLACEHOLDER]
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
With so many pokemon getting access so many new moves and abilities, one would think that the amount of viable pokemon in Balanced Hackmons would become more diverse in contrast to other tiers, sadly, this is not the case.

In a game where pokemon have less unique traits, it is much easier to find the "perfect match" for specific jobs. Deoxys-S is the lead to end all leads, Giratina is the Great Wall of China reborn, and if you were to look up revenge killer in a dictionary, you'd find a picture of Blissey (try it, I dare you). Since only a pokemon's base stats and typing matter, many pokemon literally do not have a single advantage over the titans of the tier.

However, while not immediately appearing to have much over the champions of the tier, a few pokemon do possess a unique typing, or a certain combination of stats, that allow them to carve out a small niche in the Balanced Hackmons metagames, this thread is devoted to those pokemon, which means that,

MAY NOT BE SUBMITTED

With that being said, any pokemon you submit should both A. have a set accompanying it, and B. not be outclassed by a pokemon on the above list. The proper format for submitting a set is

Pokemon sprite (I recommend using this site to find sprites)
Pokemon name
move 1:
move 2:
move 3:
move 4:
item:
ability:
nature:
evs: Pokemon name
move 1:
move 2:
move 3:
move 4:
item:
ability:
nature:
ev's: [Only applicable if the ev's are different than 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 252 Spe]
iv's: [Only applicable if the iv's are different than 31 HP / 31 Atk / 31 Def / 31 SpA / 31 SpD / 31 Spe]

[Explanation of what makes this pokemon useful in the current metagame, what does it have over other pokemon that fulfill similar niches as it, or why is its niche important enough to dedicate a pokemon to it.]

verbatim

[PLACEHOLDER]
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Let's get it!

Escavelier
move 1:Copycat
move 2: Gyro Ball
move 3: Destiny Bond
move 4: Rapid Spin
item: Leftovers/Lum Berry
ability: Prankster
nature: Brave
ev's: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
iv's: 31 HP / 31 Atk / 31 Def / 31 SpA / 31 SpD / 0 Spe

Escavelier may seem puzzling at first, it is set up bait for the plethora of Contrary V-Create pokemon roaming the tier, it has extremely limited coverage, and it struggles to OHKO most of the tier, however, upon closer inspection, its purpose is revealed. Between 70/105 special bulk and an effective defensive typing, Escavalier can take a beating from Contrary mons, specifically, Imposter Blissey stealing your own Contrary pokemon, who, if run without fire moves, will find that they can't really do anything to Escavelier. A stolen Soul Dew Latios (note that your opponent won't be able to steal the Soul Dew boost), the strongest Contrary pokemon, only does 75.87 - 89.53% with Draco Meteor (+4), before shortly perishing a 78.29 - 92.3% Gryo Ball in combination with Prankster Copycat, which means that so long as you be careful to not let your Latios get +6, you don't have to worry about getting swept by Blissey.

Escavlier is also able to take advantage of its Prankster Destiny Bond, something that very few people would expect on him, to turn a match around.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
It's been a while since I really played Balanced Hackmons (time to make a new team then!), but I managed to popularize this set for a short while. I only ever run Sand teams.

Tyranitar @ Leftovers / Lum Berry / Chople Berry
move 1: Heart Swap
move 2: Recover
move 3: Dark Pulse / Crunch
move 4: Extremespeed / Magic Coat
item: Leftovers / Chople Berry / Lum Berry
ability: Unaware
nature: Relaxed / Impish

I played a few matches the other day and this set has lost a lot of its luster, but back when I was actually good at this tier it was an absolutely solid set. It came about when I was looking for a counter to boosting sweepers with Stored Power, and Unaware made it a surprisingly good counter to Contrary users lacking Leaf Storm or a Fighting move.

Rampardos
move 1: Head Smash
move 2: Hi Jump Kick
move 3: Flare Blitz
move 4: Wild Charge
item: Wide Lens / Life Orb
ability: Magic Guard
nature: Jolly

Why Jolly and not Adamant? Have you seen Rampardos's ATK? It doesn't need a boost. I tend to use Wide Lens over Life Orb, as you really don't want Head Smash or HJK missing a lot. Any time you can minimize a miss, do it. Magic Guard over Rockhead to avoid additional indirect damage beyond move recoil. There are 2 Pokemon with more ATK than Rampardos. They are Deoxys-Attack Forme and Kyurem-Black. I guess Shuckle too if you want to include Power Trick.

STAB Head Smash without the recoil? Yes please. Admittedly, its typing is a bit of an issue. Weak to 5 types, 3 of which are very common. Which goes back to Jolly over Adamant. It isn't a huge Speed boost, but enough of one to help deal with a small number of threats. Remember, it cannot be killed if it is faster and one shots them all.

FlareBlitz

Relaxed nature. Loves to eat.
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Oh, excellent.

Escavalier
move 1: Swords Dance / Megahorn
move 2: Gyro Ball
move 3: Sacred Fire
move 4: Slack Off
item: Leftovers
ability: Flash Fire
nature: Brave
evs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD, 0 Spe IV

Escavalier has a solid niche. It is virtually immune to status, has no weaknesses, and can tank some of the ridiculously powerful Dragon-type attacks flying around the tier while posing a substantial offensive threat. Gyro Ball will be hitting most of the metagame for its full BP, given that everything runs 252 spe, making it a very powerful attacking move with surprisingly good coverage.

Edit: Upon further reflection, using Swords Dance over Megahorn doesn't actually lose you much coverage (water types would be the biggest problem), although you will be much more prone to PP issues.

This is walled by ho-oh and can't break through defensive threats with recovery. It should mostly be used as an offensive pivot against mewtwo and the like.

Terrakion
move 1: Stone Edge / Head Smash
move 2: Hi Jump Kick / Close Cmobat
move 3: Shift Gear
move 4: Substitute / Drain Punch
item: Life Orb
ability: Adaptability
nature: Adamant / Jolly

This is one of my favorite sets. Terrakion leverages its perfect coverage in combination with Adaptability to become truly, absurdly powerful. Shift Gear makes you faster than everything ever, and the combination of your fighting and rock type move makes you literally impossible to wall. Stone Edge and Close Combat are the standard, safe options...but if you just want terrakion to blow holes in opposing physical walls, feel free to use Head Smash and Hi Jump Kick. +1 Head Smash flat out ohkos 252/252+ Giratina, for reference (but do be prepared to eat like 65% damage in recoil...) and Hi Jump Kick ohkos Groudon with just a smidge of prior damage (and has a chance to ohko without any at all). Substitute is to protect against Blissey, although you can use Drain Punch as a reliable STAB that also heals if you don't really care about it (I'm not sure why you wouldn't care about a terrakion-bliss with +1/+2 but hey, maybe you have a claydol).

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
May I repost a set from the "Balanced Hackmons" thread?

Zekrom
move 1: Soak
move 2: Volt Tackle/Fusion Bolt
move 3: Pursuit
move 4: Aqua Tail
item: Expert Belt/Lum Berry
nature: Adamant / Jolly

The idea is simple: Prankster Soak. This gives Zekrom perfect coverage with Volt Tacke/Fusion Bolt (depending on whether you think the extra PP and power is worth the recoil), as well as stripping enemies of their crucial STAB.
Should the enemy choose to switch, Pursuit is your friend. Considering Zekrom's Attack stat, it will hurt either way, especially against frail opponents.
If Soak is somehow Magic Bounced back on you, Aqua Tail or even Waterfall could be something to fall back on. This strategy doesn't really require more than three moves, so you can feel free to put whatever move you think will help in that last slot. Hazards, Rapid Spin or a weather move, even. Recover could also help.

Expert Belt for a little more punch; should you run into Imposter Blissey on your way, you can find comfort in that she won't hit as hard as you do. If you like to live risky, put Spite in the last slot and watch Blissey weep as one of her moves loses all its PP. Alternately, you can run Lum Berry to help battle status.

Or is this completely farfecthed?

Move 1: Shift Gear
Move 2: Bolt Strike
Move 3: Outrage
Move 4: Sacred Fire
Item: Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Nature: Jolly/Adamant
Evs: You should know the EV's are all 252...

Tremble in fear as Zekrom shows the power of Sheer Force boosted Bolt Srikes. This set is so powerful, that with rocks and a layer of spikes down, at +1 Adamant Zekrom gets the guaranteed 2hko on 252/252+ Impish Giratina(Does 41.07 - 48.61% to Giratina without Rocks, an impressive feat,) meaning not even the best wall can switch in. Outrage is for all the dragons that resist Bolt Strike, but it's the only move on this set that gets Life Orb recoil, which is unfortunate and it locks you in as well. Speaking of Life Orb recoil, the beauty of this set is that half of its moves do not get a Life Orb recoil, so it's almost impossible to wear down this Zekrom(Unless it uses Outrage.) The only way to kill this beast is with revenge killers. Sacred Fire ensures it's not walled by things like Ferrothorn, and it also gets a Sheer Force boost. This set is monstrous in the right hands, and can pretty much sweep without a sweat.

Edit: Yea the main reason why I picked Outrage instead of Dragon Rush is because I hate how inaccurate Dragon Rush is.(It only has 5% more accuracy than lol FocusMiss)and I picked Sacred Fire so I didn't have to suffer Flare Blitz recoil while having something almost as powerful. I might use Dragon Rush if more people think having Dragon Rush would be better than Outrage, and I like to spam Bolt Strike more if I know there's no Groudon.) I never boost until I know there's no Blissey or the Blissey is dead.

Given Outrage's generally horrible side effect and lack of a secondary effect, it seems like Dragon Rush might be a viable alternative. 75% accuracy sucks, but it's probably better than getting locked into Outrage, and Dragon Rush is actually more powerful thanks to its 20% flinch chance.

Also, Flare Blitz could be used over Sacred Fire for more power and 100% accuracy, but the recoil admittedly isn't fun.

It seems like this set would have a lot of problems, though. The common Prankster Spore puts you out of commission, the (possibly even-more common) Prankster Nature Power (Earthquake) from Groudon murders you, and other priority moves like Slaking's ExtremeSpeed can do heavy damage. Plus you have to deal with that eternal fear of Imposter Blissey stealing your boosts. Granted, it doesn't get the Life Orb boost, but it shouldn't have much trouble getting a OHKO with a Dragon move.

Given Outrage's generally horrible side effect and lack of a secondary effect, it seems like Dragon Rush might be a viable alternative. 75% accuracy sucks, but it's probably better than getting locked into Outrage, and Dragon Rush is actually more powerful thanks to its 20% flinch chance.

Also, Flare Blitz could be used over Sacred Fire for more power and 100% accuracy, but the recoil admittedly isn't fun.

It seems like this set would have a lot of problems, though. The common Prankster Spore puts you out of commission, the (possibly even-more common) Prankster Nature Power (Earthquake) from Groudon murders you, and other priority moves like Slaking's ExtremeSpeed can do heavy damage. Plus you have to deal with that eternal fear of Imposter Blissey stealing your boosts. Granted, it doesn't get the Life Orb boost, but it shouldn't have much trouble getting a OHKO with a Dragon move.
Yea, I rarely boost if I don't know the opponent has a Blissey. Also, I don't like using Dragon Rush or Flare Blitz because of inaccuracy and recoil, respectively. I might use Dragon Rush if more people think I should rather have Dragon Rush than Outrage just for the Sheer Force boost.

Just saying all these sets are mainly for hail weather and I can't get the pictures to work right so this is gonna be a bit of an eyesore. Anyway theres a few so....

Lvl 1 Swinub
Sturdy
@Shell Bell
-Endeavor
-Forseight
-Extremespeed
-Magic Coat/Leech Seed/Pain Split/U-turn
Well someone had to do this. I personally think this is the ultimate FEAR set (yeah screw you Shednija) Strategy is endeavor plus Hail/Sandstorm. Forseight helps against ghost switch ins. The last slot depends. Magic coat bounces back spore. Leech seed, pain split, and U-turn are different options against ghosts and Blissey.

Lvl 1 Swinub
Prankster
@Focus Sash
-Endeavor
-Spore
-Destiny Bond
-Taunt/Dragon Rage/Forseight/Magic Bounce
No one expects Prankster Swinub. Almost always gets two kills. Spore if you know you can, then endeavor, then repeat. When you know that wont work any more use destiny bond and take them with you.

Weavile
Poison Heal
@Toxic Orb
-Protect
-Substitute
-Spore/Toxic
-Night Shade/Seismic Toss/ Night Slash
Now away from the Fear stuff, this thing is amazing at stalling. Why not a bulkier Ice type? The most important aspect of this is the speed. You NEED to outspeed all the common stuff you want to stall. BTW this thing is bulkier than it seems. It survived a Slaking's Extremespeed at full health with enough to put up a sub. Strategy is Protect, than Sub. If you a free turn status or attack. Aerodactyl in Sandstorm probably works better but whatever.

Registeel
move 1: Spore
move 2: Substitute
move 3: Dragon Tail
move 4: Recover
nature: Careful

While Whimsicott may be the ultimate troll in other metagames, its bad stats and defensive typing make it almost useless in BH, where Registeel claims its throne. With great defensive stats and typing, it is able to tank most hits, especially Dragon and Ice type moves, and threaten instant sleep to any pokemon lacking Magic Bounce, Magic Coat, or a Lum Berry. Substitute allows it to avoid status and its own rebounded Spores, survive hits from V-Create and Overheat, as well as preventing Imposter Blissey from copying it. Recover gives Registeel reliable recovery, which is necessary for its survivability. Dragon Tail is used over Whirlwind to allow it to hit through Magic Bounce, which would otherwise force it out with its own attack.
Registeel is undoubtedly the best pokemon for this role, as it is the bulkiest steel type Pokemon that does not rely on Multitype.

This set, while being very useful at putting opponents to sleep, does not do very well without entry hazard support, but with hazards, it is able to single-handedly destroy teams with the switches that it forces with Dragon Tail. Because of this, it has almost always been a huge asset to my team, sometimes only being beaten after Dragon Tail runs out of PP.

On the negative side, its low speed means that almost all other prankster users will outspeed it, and Groudon especially can threaten it with Prankster Nature Power. Magic Bounce users limit its effectiveness, especially if they have substitute, which Registeel has no chance of breaking unless they are very frail due to its low attack.

Rampardos
move 1: Head Smash
move 2: Hi Jump Kick
move 3: Flare Blitz
move 4: Wild Charge
item: Wide Lens / Life Orb
nature: Jolly

Why Jolly and not Adamant? Have you seen Rampardos's ATK? It doesn't need a boost. I tend to use Wide Lens over Life Orb, as you really don't want Head Smash or HJK missing a lot. Any time you can minimize a miss, do it. Magic Guard over Rockhead to avoid additional indirect damage beyond move recoil. There are 2 Pokemon with more ATK than Rampardos. They are Deoxys-Attack Forme and Kyurem-Black. I guess Shuckle too if you want to include Power Trick.

STAB Head Smash without the recoil? Yes please. Admittedly, its typing is a bit of an issue. Weak to 5 types, 3 of which are very common. Which goes back to Jolly over Adamant. It isn't a huge Speed boost, but enough of one to help deal with a small number of threats. Remember, it cannot be killed if it is faster and one shots them all.
Interesting idea, but why not use the stronger variant of Wild Charge, Volt Tackle?

Level 51

the orchestra plays the prettiest themes
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
After feeling bad about beating verbatim with his own Escavalier set, I decided to post this (admittedly theorymon'd) set over here.

Heatran
move 1: Shell Smash
move 2: Fusion Flare/Overheat
move 3: Sacred Fire/Draco Meteor
item: Lum Berry
nature: Calm/Sassy (if running Sacred Fire)

Besides using Unaware to act as a pretty decent anti-booster tank, Heatran can also use Shell Smash to boost its attack - without worrying about its defences, which are protected by Unaware. After getting rid of the opponent's pesky Latios/Mewtwo/etc., the copied boosts of Impostor Blisseys are negated by Unaware as well, meaning that you can go on and set up without having to worry about those idiot Blisseys. If there's no time for Shell Smash, Overheat can be used repeatedly without drawback thanks to Unaware (again).

Unaware

Description

If a Pokemon with the ability Unaware is the target of an attack, all of the attacker's Attack and Special Attack boosts are ignored. If a Pokemon with the ability Unaware is attacking, all of the defender's Defense and Special Defense boosts are ignored. If an Unaware Pokemon is using Punishment, stat boosts still factor into its power. If an Unaware Pokemon hits itself in its confusion, it still keeps its altered Attack and Defense stats.

Sorry to burst your bubble but according to this your set will not work as you planned because unaware works only with your opponent´s stat modifiers

Ho-Oh
move 1: Sacred Fire
move 2: Brave Bird
move 3: Hi Jump Kick
move 4: Substitute
item: Life Orb
Nature: Adamant / Jolly

I've only been playing Balanced Hackmons for a week or so, but I found this set to be a lot of fun. Ho-Oh's main problem as a Pokemon is the big weakness to Stealth Rock, which can deter people from using it. With this set, Ho-Oh doesn't care about Stealth Rock with Magic Guard, while also taking no damage from Brave Bird recoil or a Hi Jump Kick miss. Life Orb further boosts Ho-Oh's offensive power, and can bluff a Choice item after taking no damage from Life Orb recoil. Ho-Oh's dual STAB is only commonly resisted by Rock types such as Terrakion and Tyranitar, which is why Hi Jump Kick is the coverage move of Choice. Substitute rounds off the set, being able to set up Substitutes against weaker attackers or those that have been burnt by Sacred Fire.

tehy

Banned deucer.
I get that sacred fire's got that whole burnage thing, but flare blitz is stronger and still recoil-less. Also, why no recover? Sub is cool and all, but recover plus bulk plus magic guard is pretty nice

V4Victini

再起不能
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnus
I get that sacred fire's got that whole burnage thing, but flare blitz is stronger and still recoil-less. Also, why no recover? Sub is cool and all, but recover plus bulk plus magic guard is pretty nice
Substitute not only blocks Prankster Spore but also prevents Blissey from transforming into Ho-oh. If you want Recover on there it could have a place but not over Substitute imo.

Regirock
move 1: Skill Swap
move 2: Spikes
move 3: Rapid Spin
move 4: Knock Off/whatever Recover move
item: Leftovers/Lum Berry
ability: Sand Stream
nature: Careful/Impish

The problem with weather in BH is that you have to give up one of the extremely powerful other abilities, and your inducer risks becoming dead weight against the Pranksters, Magic Bouncers, and rampant super sweepers. Skill Swap fixes all that. It cannot be reflected or blocked with sub or evasion, just like Heart Swap. Basically it acts as an unblockable Gastro Acid that is also likely to give you a powerful ability. It can allow you to Spike past Magic Bounce, escape Shadow Tag (I've perish trapped several pokemon that Perish Song on the turn I Skill Swap), cripple Contrary sweepers, and more, while they are left with a totally useless ability; Sand Stream does not even protect from Sandstorm damage.

Spikes and Rapid Spin provide great hazard support, and in a metagame where every pokemon could have Rapid Spin, it's usually easy to sneak the first one past the opponent. Spikes is chosen over Stealth Rock so that Regirock has something to do over several turns if it gets to stay in. Knock Off depowers Lati@s and removes Leftovers so SS can wear down the opposition. I carry Leftovers because my team has subpass support to block Spore and acquiring Magic Bounce is common, but Lum is an option. In that case you may want Recover over Knock Off.

Regirock is extremely tanky under SS, with better physical bulk than Shuckle or any other (EDIT non Eviolite) Rock type. I don't believe any other pokemon can run this set better.

Oh, and I forgot to mention, autokill Shedinja.

EDIT Just realized that Eviolite Rhydon has better bulk, rock resistance, and electric immunity, but also quad weaknesses to water and grass, weakness to ice, and no real item. I will have to test it out to decide which is better.

Deoxys-Attack @ Focus Sash
move 1: Shell Smash
move 2: Ice Beam
move 3: Extremespeed
move 4: Close Combat
item: Focus Sash
ability: Simple
Nature: Mild

After a simple boosted Shell Smash, it kills like everything which exists, and with it's awesome mixed attacking stats it utilizes shell smash even more. After a smash nothing outspeeds it so no need to have a speed boosting nature. Extremespeed kills other extremespeeders. Ice Beam for Giratina anad Lugia while Close Combat for Ferrothorn.

Gengar
move 1: Judgment/Shadow ball
move 2: Aura sphere
move 3: Skill swap
move 4: Shell smash
item: Spooky plate/Lum berry
ability: Normalize
nature: Timid

Switch into something slower, a normal attack or a set-up move and use skill swap on the following turn.
After using skill swap, you are free to set-up until the opponent decides to switch (which is after noticing normalize, which might take a while).
It doesn't matter if your opponent uses a +6 v-create in the sun, it won't hit thanks to skill swap and normalize!
Avoid stealing/skill swapping contrary, as it reverses shell smash.
Judgment is for trolling blissey, but if you don't fear her, then running shadow ball and lum berry will be good too, as it prevents you from being beaten by prankster spore.
Aura sphere is for coverage and is the best special fighting move (focus blast isn't worth the power, it misses too often).

EV

Banned deucer.

Unawaretran
move 2: Blue Flare
move 3: Spacial Rend
nature: Calm (+SpD, -Atk)

Unaware is totally underrated in this tier but extremely necessary. It counters Simple, Contrary, Moody, Shell Smash, Quiver Dance, etc.

I love using Heatran for a number of reasons. First of all, it resists Dragon, Psychic, and Normal and takes neutral damage from Fire. Those are all probably the most used attacking types in BH outside of Fighting and Ground (which sadly it is weak to.)

Second, it has STAB Fire. In conjunction with Spacial Rend it has nearly unresisted coverage in two moves. With Heart Swap I can steal boosts and begin firing off powerful attacks.

Third is its Sandstorm immunity, which doesn't sound like much, but with Leftovers I will be gaining HP each turn during Sand instead of a net gain of zero.

It struggles against Prankster Groudon, Soul Dew Lati@s Aura Sphere, and Sturdy Shedinja. The latter falling to Sand support, however, which as noted is a boon for Heatran already.

EV

Banned deucer.

Tyranisipper
move 1: Substitute
move 2: Swords Dance
move 3: Sucker Punch
move 4: Drain Punch
ability: Sap Sipper
nature: Careful (+SpD, -SpA)

This thing is an absolute beast. With Sand support, it tanks hits like its 'normal' counterpart in OU. Usually I throw up a sub as fast as possible and begin to swords dance. Sucker Punch whatever wants to hit you and Drain Punch anything else. Sap Sipper is awesome for any Prankster or Deoxys-S Spores that hit you before your sub. It also activates on Contrary Leaf Storm.

It struggles with Lugia and Perish Trap Giratina for obvious reasons.

Pokemon name: Rhydon
move 2: Recover
move 3: Dragon Tail
move 4: Skill Swap
item: Eviolite
ability: Sand Stream
nature:Careful

Takes non-super effective hits like a b0ss, recovers every damage, stoles boosts and abilities and phazes M-Bounce users. It also kills Sturdinja. Obviously, it struggles against Pokémon that have a SE attack for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)