GBU Tournament Standings to Help at Regionals and invites to worlds on ranking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solace

royal flush
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Read about it here!

Video Game Championships
Video Game players can earn byes at Regional Championships by participating in GBU Wi-Fi tournaments. Top-ranked players from regularly scheduled GBU International Wi-Fi tournaments will earn a huge advantage against the other competition at Regional Championships, beginning with the Winter Regional in January.
So come January, it's a possibility byes will be given out at regionals to players who do well on GBU tournaments. Thoughts on this new system?

Alaka

formerly Alakapimp
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
The more important part of that link seems to be that they are giving 4 ratings invited to worlds unless I misread.

It also says they will be doing 2 prelimnary events Internationally that will then lead to a World Qualifier as quoted; 'There will be two Preliminary events that will lead to a World Championships Qualifier event.' This is great news for all Europeans who have been desperate for something like this. Lets just hope its still not single elimination ¬_¬

International Events
The international event schedule also has some changes worth mentioning. To align the international event series with North American events, the schedule will be trimmed slightly, giving players the opportunity to play in three separate events in the Spring.
There will be two Preliminary events that will lead to a World Championships Qualifier event. These events will be open to all players in good standing. As with the North American series, there will be incentives offered to top-ranked players in GBU Wi-Fi tournaments across all three age divisions.
More details will be announced as they become available.

Hopefully hoult it will be each country.

Having rewards for the GBU tournaments is a good idea, but I see this making DCs worse than ever.

From the posted link:

In addition to the above-mentioned byes, the top four players in each the North American and European rating zones in each age division will earn an invitation to participate in the World Championships in Vancouver, British Columbia, in August 2013.

Does this mean each separate area of the US (ex. Northeast) will have its own 4 trips?

Having rewards for the GBU tournaments is a good idea, but I see this making DCs worse than ever.
Disconnects will definitely be less prevalent during the GBU tournaments from now on once BW2 gets released. For every DC you have, you can't play for an hour I believe. If you disconnect 10 times, that's 10 hours of no playtime. It's really not worth it to DC anymore.

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
Since they've fixed the DC problem, this sounds like an excellent idea! I'm very happy to hear this!

Disconnects will definitely be less prevalent during the GBU tournaments from now on once BW2 gets released. For every DC you have, you can't play for an hour I believe. If you disconnect 10 times, that's 10 hours of no playtime. It's really not worth it to DC anymore.
Really? That will make things sooo much better. :D

JRank

Jonny
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
From the posted link:

In addition to the above-mentioned byes, the top four players in each the North American and European rating zones in each age division will earn an invitation to participate in the World Championships in Vancouver, British Columbia, in August 2013.

Does this mean each separate area of the US (ex. Northeast) will have its own 4 trips?
No, it is referring to the North American zone and the European zone. 4 invites per continent.

It says that byes are eligible starting at the January Regionals. So would the Autumn friendly count for the bye system at Regionals?

I like this move. It should result in players spending more time playing on the GBU instead of simulators.
I totally agree!
I have seen a increase in the past week of more North American opponents, its been interesting. Was not sure if that was the reason or if it has just been chance, but I hope it keeps up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)