OU Anti-Stall isn't about just the moves, it is about the play style.

So hey I got linked to Smogon and since I kind of have been busy doing other stuff I haven't had a chance to stop by the best generation's forum (That would be this one, for those who may not know of my love of GSC)

Anyway I have seen a few threads around with quite a bit of odd reasoning as to what is and what isn't anti-stall and some seem mystified how to beat the dreaded, and rightfully feared, stall team.

If you really want to be anti-stall, you first have to accept that randomly using explosion on Pokemon really isn't the answer. There is a difference in having anti-stall pokemon and having pokemon that have no second option, in fact I'd say unless you are very skilled with explosion teams, it is one of the worst possible choices you can make vs a stall team. It limits your options and traps you into a corner, making it easier and easier, as the battle goes on, to make more and more of your pokemon a non factor as spikes, defensive walls, and small jabs of offense slowly and effectively disable your team.

1. Always keep your options open, and have almost all of your pokemon be able to take on any pokemon that may come its way. Mixed sweepers, such as Zapdos (Before Hidden Power was banned anyway) some Tyranitar sets, Tentacruel of late, and even random physical attacks that have fire blast on them, have usually filled the role of "Bring on everything you've got, something dies versus this thing" of an anti-stall tea. It just isn't about type balance, you have to throw an opponent off guard with move selection every now and then. This doesn't mean to randomly try to predict, but it can be beneficial to let the battle lull for a couple of dozen turns to try to gain a psychological edge on your opponen, because stall battlers have usually been there done that, and will very rarely go outside of a set pattern, surprising them once in awhile usually rattles their mindset.

2. Be aggressive. You don't want to stall? Then don't stall. Have your team set up with Pokemon that can take a beating, but if need be can dish out massive amounts of damage to almost any pokemon. The JoltWak combo is one of the best anti-stall measures in the game, given that if not predicted it is going to cause a lot of damage, and likely one kill, in a match. Even then if not mishandled, it can cause trouble. Many stall teams can't really win when they are behind, especially if you can just reload your set up on how you killed their pokemon (Such as using Sub with Jolteon again, and passing it right off to Marowak again)

Of course there are counters for Jolteon's baton passing, and Marowak isn't without its weaknesses, but I was just using them as an example. All too often do I see players who really hate stall play into a stall game because they are afraid to take a risk. Risks are how you do it. Stall is based off patterns to ensure their Pokemon don't die, sometimes you have to risk a pokemon (not suicide, risk, as in, attack a bit more often than may be safe) to land that critical prediction (or in my case, a critical hit!) to have a key for victory.

3. Don't be afraid to get lucky, in a 100 turn battle, you are DUE those 6 CHes, don't let them cry too much. That is part of the stigma, that CHes are evil. For stallers maybe. Ches are one of the biggest downfalls of stall teams, for all of their efforts, one CH can cripple them. And even if a lot of people disagree, the average GSC battle you are in fact due 6 to 12 Ches every time. I've always liked the odds of one of those making their team weakened.

But yeah, it isn't always about the team, although you have to prep accordingly. Being recklessly offensive versus a stall team won't get you anywhere, most battlers know how to outlast those who are willing to let their own pokemon die for nothing. Have a plan of a attack from the start, hell, have 3. Look to execute those plans aggressively, and be careful not to get trapped into a corner by status, and you won't need some dream team to beat stallers.

But Curselax helps.

Altmer

rid this world of human waste
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
you know chris that for me CH'es and freezes always seem to win the battle? i win (or lose since I'm outta practice) matches against stall teams on that kind of luck. X)

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Borat / Banana told me alot of things about anti-stall...he should post something here if he has the time..

One of the things he mentioned is that mixed sweepers aren't enough to beat a stall team that usually includes Suicune, Snorlax, Miltank, Umbreon, etc, which can take hits from any sides without much problem at all. Mixed sweeper helps, especially with Spikes, but ultimately you would want a really solid hard hitter, like Marowak, BellyLax, or Machamp, to make the holes in their stall walls.

GreenPikachu

pumpkin pieco
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
a very overlooked component to anti-stall is timely status'ing from an unlikely source. i run a sub-passing jolteon that can go to tentacruel (intermediary mixed-sweeper) or marowak (hard hitter). I have Slowbro for defensive capabilities and T-Wave, as well as Forry for his defensive capabilities, and ability to Spikes/Spin and pass Reflect.

But the glue for me is Lovely Kiss Snorlax. It has caught many opponents offguard since the majority of people run Curse or Belly Drum. So, they send in their pseudophazer/main curselax defense, and end up getting slept. Which can create a small enough opening for my heavy hitter or mixed sweeper to remove a pokemon from play while they scramble to recover composure.

But, I like what Chris said, he summed it up pretty well. Plus, he's cute.

One of my best teams in the past year or two was

Slowbro/Snorlax/Marowak/Tentacruel/Forretress/Jolteon

Hard hitters with my two waters providing the "mixed" feel to it (Dynamic Punch Slowbro still makes me giggle)

Sadly it was eventually countered, but it still has never had a 100 turn battle, much to my joy. I made it with the theme "If I am going to lose, I am going to lose on my terms", luckily, I didn't lose very often for the first month or so

GreenPikachu

pumpkin pieco
chris that's basically the team i was referring to, with some slight alterations. i rarely lose with it (but i'm just great anyway =P). it was pretty damn good. so kudos to you on that, haha.

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I've found Electabuzz with Thunderbolt, Ice Punch, Fire Punch, and Cross Chop to be effective at breaking up stall teams. Cross Chop's high CH rate doesn't hurt, either. =)

Karrot

plant
is a Past WCoP Champion
I've found that Morning Sun Nidoking with Scope Lens is a great game-breaking pokemon. No lefties doesn't hurt it much when it has morning sun for instant recovery, and 12.5% of CHing is enough to totally destroy a stalling strategy. Scope Lens Nidoking is god.

Scope lens Electabuzz with Thunder (chance to 3HKO Zapdos)/Ice Punch/Cross Chop/Rest is also amazing. Rest because, IMO, anything running scope lens needs a form of recovery or it just won't last. =\

P.S. I know what I am talking about I've been playing GSC since '03. =[

The problem with Electabuzz is it can be goaded by Umbreon into trying its CH might, where it usually falters. Buzz is usually good though and can provide a lot of pop in a team.

Frankly Zapdos is more or less a non factor for most of my teams, because if I don't have Marowak, I damn sure have Steelix.

Pocket

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Imo Electabuzz is at its best with Cross Chop, Fire Punch / Ice Punch, Screech, and Thunder. Screech's defense drop + CC's relatively high ch rate makes it a much more threatening pokemon to Umbreon, Snorlax, Raikou, Miltank, Jolteon, etc, and also saves its CC PPs. You'll lose some offense against Ground types, but I find them easier to deal with than the above mentioned walls. Optimizing the electric + fighting mix combo is the key here I think.

Drumlax is one of the best stall killer i can think of.. just my worry I've never been able of playing it correctly. Lovely Kiss Drumlax is even better as anti-stall if played right, of course it has just one chance at attempting to sweep; Lovely Kiss Snorlax in general is awesome.
Baton Passing (sp)attack boosts also is a good way to deal with stall.
Lol at the beginning of his days GSC wasn't stallish, thanks to the massive employement of TSS... well, this kind of teams does not work well as they actually do in rse (eh, no access at Sandstream for Ttar :p) but once I've battled with a well-built-one of this, and I have to say that Toxic + Sandstorm + Spikes really limit your will of repeatly switch, and Confuse Ray helps against brave people deciding to stay in.
On the other hand, I've recently seen a battle between two middle-gsc-age champions, AvengerAngel and TBM, both hardcore stall-battlers, and their battle lasts 856 turns.

Hey Chris! It's been a while!

Speaking of stall, what did people end up doing to get around Restbell? My old team had a few issues with that, just couldn't punch the cow hard enough >:
Don't be afraid to get lucky
easy for you to say mr lucksack McLuck

GreenPikachu

pumpkin pieco
Gonk, the cow is barely even used that much anymore. Stall really came to the forefront with the whole "SkarmBliss" thing along with toxic on everything and Suicune, Zapdos, etc. Miltank became SORT of an afterthrought. It was still used, but just not as much. And when it was, the 4th move on it was typically Growl.

what about McGar

Substitute
Dynamic Punch
Shadow Ball
Thunderbolt/Ice Punch

is that an anti-stall Pokemon

what about BellyZard? or Mirror Coating Pokemon?

how about this team is this a good anti-stall team

heracross/Raikou/miltank/Exeggutor/Machamp/alakazam or Gengar

Stall really came to the forefront with the whole "SkarmBliss" thing along with toxic on everything and Suicune, Zapdos, etc. Miltank became SORT of an afterthrought.
Oh, that's actually what I was referring to. I thought teams like that used Rest+ Heal Bell to buy even more time.

And they say Double Team is bad because it draws games out for too long..

GreenPikachu

pumpkin pieco
"McGar" refers to a set that existed in ADV, not GSC.

Belly Drum Zard can be anti-stall, yes, but not alone. There is not one single pokemon that you can point to and say "anti-stall". It's not just a team, it's the mindset of the battler, like Chris said in the OP.

And, I would need to know the movesets of the pokemon in order to judge it as "anti-stall" but considering the pokemon you're using I'm going to give that a big no.

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
what about McGar

Substitute
Dynamic Punch
Shadow Ball
Thunderbolt/Ice Punch
There's really no point to Substitute on Gengar. The whole purpose of it in ADV is to block Thunder Wave and Focus Punch behind. Blissey doesn't have Thunder Wave nearly as much in GSC, and Dynamicpunch doesn't have a charge up period.

GreenPikachu

pumpkin pieco
not to mention dynamicpunch is 50% accurate.

but...
1). McGar did not exist in GSC. It was coined for ADV specifically.
2). Dynamicpunch is a novelty move. It's not half as effective/devastating as Focus Punch
3). I don't even think McGar HAS Shadow Ball.

in other words, you're incorrect for a plethora of reasons.

Karrot

plant
is a Past WCoP Champion
Well, Shadow Ball is highly ineffective in GSC as it basically only hits Misdreavus/Gengar/Alakazam. Slowbro has pummeled much better by a thunderbolt, Exeggutor by ice/fire punch, etc. Alakazam is faster and never gets KOed, so it can simply recover. The only other thing it hits is Hypno/Espeon...

So basically, Shadow Ball is a waste of a slot when you could have something like explosion, unless you have some insane reason you want to hit Missy/Gengar.

Chris's post is more "common sense" than anything, but to some it isn't. To sum up his post:

1. Have the right pokemon with the right moves (this I agree to wholeheartedly, not that it's logical to disagree with anyway)
2. Be aggressive (if you were passive, you wouldn't be able to break stalls on principle alone)
3. Be lucky (heh)

ST Suicune + ST Raikou walls every [used] non-setup sweeper (Dragonite, Marowak, Nidoking, Rhydon, Machamp, Tyranitar, Electabuzz, Mixlax, Gengar, Jynx etc) aka mix sweeper, bar luck and SD Snorlax, and luck beats everything anyways. Also beats old stuff like Druidcruel/Drumzard. Growltank can generally wall every curser. SD-ers are generally frail and/or lack recovery and die to spikes/whatever eventually. GSC offense get the short end of the stick.

Now I'm not an advocate of stall teams, they're the best display of a lack of skill in every metagame. What is the purpose of "stall" teams? To not lose. That's a pretty weak objective for a team. That means, they don't even attempt to actually "win", but merely not "lose". A series of systematic A-B switches shows no skill whatsoever. Not to downplay certain players, but this is the reason why players like GSC Elite, while may rack up wins against better players, but still demonstrates his overall inferiority as a player.

Stall teams are built in a way that it attempts to cover most of the metagame sets and attempt to wall them with superior stats or playing types; this is basic knowledge. Using mix sweepers basically let you claw at every part of that defense, harder in some areas. That's great on paper, but "jack of all trades, master of none". It's better to focus on one part of their defense and continually claw at it and weaken it. Forget the other 5, focus on that one pokemon because once it goes down, the team is no longer a stall team to you. The first thing that should come to mind at this point is Explosion; if not, stop reading.

Working on a bait-kill concept, you should be looking towards exploders that can bait out that specific "wall" and to kill. Using the examples in the first paragraph, if Raikou is giving your Tentacruel/Dragonite problems, use Gengar to bait-explode it. Suicune a problem? Use curselix. Zapdos? Use Egg. Starmie? Use Cloyster. And so on. Of course, there's always some risk involved, namely that random switch-out.

Drumlax ran alongside a HB-er is another great combo. "Turbo drumming" beats Skarmorys. Drum, attack, Rest, Bell and repeat. Skarmory can't keep up, unless they run a heal beller and follow your pattern. This is where a 13 DV Sing Blissey comes in (208 doesn't outspeed anything important anyway). It lets you sleep the opposing beller, thus ending all hopes of keeping up, unless your opponent runs two heal bellers.

My favorite stall breaker by far is Vaporeon with AA, Growth, Surf, Rest. This was a set I ran back in '04, when growtheons were banned. I used it to recordwhore in Battledome :) Not sure how original it is, but I've never seen its use prior to my own, so I guess I can put a claim on it. Clear all electrics and it sweeps. Not even Drumlax can switch into it. It outpaces curselax for the kill and I run one of my teams around setting it up. GSC is a physical dominated game and subsequently, stall teams generally lack coverage on the special side of the spectrum. Growthers in general, but they're all pretty damn fragile except for Vap.

Drummers in general can break stalls (but for all intents and purposes, there are only two plausible drummers: Snorlax and Clefable). They set up much to quickly for stall teams. This isn't 100% reliable, but it's one of the better options.

Just a few specifics, but you should get the concept from the first [important] paragraph of my rant (the one outlining the structure of stall teams). Mix sweepers being able to break stalls are just misconceptions as of one month ago.

Pocket

awesome read, Borat =d Some other shit you mentioned to me was about how one could use ST Heracross to force Skarmory to Rest and then B-Drum setup Lax; D-E then 2hkos Skarm and no more walls. The whole bait thing =]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)