DuskMod: A major modification to the standard metagame

Zarel

Not a Yuyuko fan
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Pokemon Researcheris an Administrator
Creator of PS
As the guy working on NEXT, I wanted to clarify the differences here.

There are a lot of mods like DuskMod, mods that change up base stats, movepools, and moves to put pokemon on a more even playing field.

That's not what NEXT is. The trick is in its name: "NEXT" means "next-generation", something that Game Freak could plausibly do. NEXT restricts itself to plausible changes Game Freak could make:

Base stats can't change. The type chart can't change. Ability distribution can't change. Typing can only change in very specific circumstances. Movepools can only be added to, not removed from. And core game mechanics like freezing and critical hits can be modified, but never removed entirely.

Because of that, NEXT's balancing efforts are very similar to Game Freak balancing efforts: it's focused on adding new things, and in some cases, changing existing moves/abilities/items.

A good example of how NEXT balancing works is Cherrim: we thought, "Game Freak had an idea for a dedicated Sun support Pokemon. How do we make that OU-viable?"

SD E-Speed Sawsbuck is basically E-Killer in OU. It's just awesome, but not that broken since any ghost type with Focus Blast kills it

SD E-Speed Sawsbuck is basically E-Killer in OU. It's just awesome, but not that broken since any ghost type with Focus Blast kills it
Which is basically just Gengar, lol. But there are the bug/steel types and Weezing. Sash Alakazam and Ditto do fine, and there are checks that work against HJK but not Nature Power, and vice versa. Despite that, Sawsbuck is borderline S Rank for me. Teams want a strong priority move so badly to have a chance when the opponent sets up, so Sawsbuck is a set up sweeper and anti-sweeper in one.

Oiawesome

Banned deucer.
Tornadus I is the defenition of good,it can run multiple sets effectivly(versitillity) it has 115/125 offenses that destroy and are great overall and has a exellant 101 speed tier wich outspeeds a pleathora of pokemon and kills them off,and has a AMAZING abillity in regenerator wich lets it be immune to its own SR Weakness!and also dosent give a shit about LO recoil.overall he is like DM Genesect or Tornadus T but better as their is Almost Absolutely no reason not to use it and it fits on almost any team,If we had to pick the closest to perfect pokemmon in DM OU so far it would have to be Tornadus I.

Aerodactyl is awesome with CB no recoil Head Smash. Meloetta is cool with the new Lunar Dance mechanics too, since i basically gets a Special DD

Level 51

the orchestra plays the prettiest themes
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
It appears you have the wrong thread; this thread is for DuskMod, not for Gen-NEXT. These two are different mods by different users.

Have a nice day!

tehy

Banned deucer.
I'm sorry, but what part of this

looks like something Game Freak might implement in the next generation? We all know it isn't going to happen.

On the other hand, who says that GF will never rework things like type chart and stat distribution? Both already occurred in the transition from RBY to GSC so it might happen again.

It's a nice mod and all, but in the end it's just your own interpretation of a balanced metagame, just like the others.
The part where gamefreak's only changed around the type chart once, right after their first game, and never touched them since, but has added custom item many times? And it's never, ever reworked stat distribution, except for the switch-over to the EV an IV system?
There are even custom items that interact with types of moves (Lustrous orb, adamant orb), and ones that grant different forms (Griseous orb). And of course there's the plates and multitype. This is just a new application, really.

Yes yes, the differences and similarities between DM and NEXT are all very fascinating, but let's not get diverted too much.

More people have steadily been appearing on the server due to word of mouth (or text) as much as this thread. We may enter a noticeably exponential phase of growth within the month before tapering off as general interest saturates. To facilitate this, I think our goals for the next couple of weeks should be:

1 Post replays here. Many replays. Watching battles is easier and more entertaining than reading and memorizing a changelog. Nevermind this, can't be done on DM server.

2 Post a Warstory or narrate a log on video. This will draw attention from other areas without being gratuitous advertising.

3 Continue adding sets and ranking votes. Considering there are no usage stats this is the only way for newbies to quickly find good pokemon. Moreover it is a valuable visual record of our progress developing the metagame and demonstrates that we intend to be playing DM into the foreseeable future, i.e. not becoming a dead meta.

4 Post an RMT. This will introduce newcomers to significant new sets while being a good exercise for "veterans" analyzing teams as a whole rather than single pokemon or pairs of good teammates. It won't be possible to make a legitimate RMT without a complete threatlist, but in the near future I think we will have a good guess at the power of every pokemon.

Additionally, we ought to create a suggestion box to get balance concerns, bugs, and just good suggestions to Dusk efficiently. I see no reason not to just use a ppad for this. Chat is disorganized, PMs would get annoying, and neither would permit the full community to discuss everything.

I have a suggestion Dusk. At the moment DM is not particularly varied. Basically every team is offense, with one ore two defensive pokemon. Occasionally you'll see a weather team, but apart from that, DM is very unvaried. I suggest introducing a few pokemon with the ability persistent. Persistent was an ability on the CAP pokemon Fidgit, and it increases the duration of gravity, trick room, heal block, safeguard, and tailwind by two turns. I feel this would increase the variety in the metagame, and make DM more fun in general.

I have a suggestion Dusk. At the moment DM is not particularly varied. Basically every team is offense, with one ore two defensive pokemon. Occasionally you'll see a weather team, but apart from that, DM is very unvaried. I suggest introducing a few pokemon with the ability persistent. Persistent was an ability on the CAP pokemon Fidgit, and it increases the duration of gravity, trick room, heal block, safeguard, and tailwind by two turns. I feel this would increase the variety in the metagame, and make DM more fun in general.
While this would indeed be cool, it is illogical to do this for the rationale of making defensive teams better, because all of those moves promote different variations of offense. Besides Heal Block and Safeguard, which are both useless regardless of Persistent or not.

Oiawesome

Banned deucer.
Also stall is very viable,You just have to make a good team.I mean back in the day Dusk 3-0d me with his stall team vs my HO team,Many pokemon are good and also cores of stall are amazing in DM Such as :Regen. Tangrowth+ Blissey etc. Ill update this with a lot of stall cores and such.

Oiawesome

Banned deucer.
Im not done Im going to add the cores when Im om my com.(Im on my tablet now iirc)and I can add icons but that is a very nice core though.

I guess ill take over making a list of cores for DM
Ill have it organized. If you have an idea for a core go here to suggest it.

Defensive

Umbreon @ Leftovers
Trait: Synchronize
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 Atk
Careful Nature
- Dark Void
- Payback/Foul Play
- Heal Bell/Protect
- Wish

Weezing @ Black Sludge
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 180 SAtk / 252 HP / 72 Def
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Will-O-Wisp
- Sludge Bomb

First I'll start off with Umbreon. Its an amazing Special Wall that is very versatile in it use. For this core I like to run a supportive set. Dark Void puts sweepers to sleep (because in DM sleep is 2 turns regardless). I have trouble choosing between Foul Play and Payback, but i usually run Payback. Heal Bell is there to help cure the sweepers on the team, but if your running a stall team protect can be used with the Wish+Protect combo. Wish is there for recovering health (obviously).

Now for Weezing. Weezing in this new meta is absolutely wonderful. He takes the super effective+physical hits for Umbreon. He has Regenerator for easily keeping up his walling skills. Can also be switched for levitate to be only weak to psychic, which Umbreon is immune to. The new BoltBeam combo has a good range of coverage. WoW to hit those physical sweepers we run into often. And finally sludge bomb, for a STAB move.
Balanced
None Yet :3

Offensive

Keldeo @ Leftovers
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Surf
- Secret Sword
- Ice Beam
- Calm Mind

Chandelure @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Shadow Tag
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Energy Ball
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Sawsbuck @ Life Orb
Trait: Chlorophyll
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Horn Leech
- Nature Power
- ExtremeSpeed
- Swords Dance

No description yet, thats Zonas job :3
~Masquerade~

Oiawesome

Banned deucer.
Im finishing this beforeI leave and Im going to decide if Im going to ses if I should in 1 week if someone convinces me its stupid,Ill stay.Also Im still making defensive cores wait,Goddamnit Im staying because masq(IIZQHD) will take over the defensive cores if I do.

Im finishing this beforeI leave and Im going to decide if Im going to ses if I should in 1 week if someone convinces me its stupid,Ill stay.Also Im still making defensive cores wait,Goddamnit Im staying because masq(IIZQHD) will take over the defensive cores if I do.
Im not just doing defensive cores, im also doing balanced+offensive. Its okay Oi, i got this covered c;

~Masquerade~

Not so sure on the whole Crabhammer thing, but I will say Scizor needs a buff of some kind. It's just not the monster it used to be now that Shadow Tag Chandelure is running amok in the tier. I was thinking more along the lines of speed and attack buffs, but Crabhammer would help some.

Crabhammer scizor would be a big buff to scizor. It could function as a sort of lure to chandelure, tries switch in for the easy kill, then Bam! Crabhammer kills it! Attack and speed buffs wouldn't be too bad, however.

Holy shit. Looks like I'm late to this party. I have a similar project I've been working on since May, but never made it public until now. Do you mind I can copy the formatting and organization of your changelog to mine?

The server is only up as long as Dusk's computer is on. In general, it will be down during the normal school hours for his time zone. He gives more details on that in his post at the top of page 1.

A core I'd like to suggest:

Sawsbuck @ Shed Shell
Trait: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- ExtremeSpeed
- Horn Leech
- Nature Power
- Swords Dance

Flareon @ Leftovers
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Stone Edge
- Wild Charge
- Dragon Dance
Its simple: with Chandelure running rampant, Shed Shell is very good item to have. Sawsbuck can switch to Flareon and, since most Chandelures are Choice'd, you can DD on the switch.

This is a great trick against Chandelure, and they have good synergy. But if the switch is predicted, Chandelure can probably 2HKO Flareon. Other than that, looks good to me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)