Quanyails's Mostly Pixel Art

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Caution: Loads and loads of pixel art coming up!

As sprites are small and many and clog the image-per-post limit on these forums, I've bundled my old stuff into single images while keeping other, newer pieces separate until time comes to bundle those as well. However, this also means my personal work and commissioned work are bundled together.

Just a head's up: despite previous sprites saying otherwise, I don't take requests unless I know you well and/or I find that you're awesome. :p I do take commissions, though: prices are listed here.

(directly inspired by Smogon!)

August 2009:

November 2009

August 2010

July 2011

July 2012

July 2013

(Old and bad. D:)

Cawmodore animation is under the CAP folder.

PEQUEDARK-VELVET's dA

The rest of the sprites I had been requested to do (and ones I did on my own) can be found here.

Last edited:
Very impressive! You have quite a few pixel pieces, and each of them are very well made. Your hand drawn art is quite impressive too and you seem to have a good sense of proportion.

The only thing I would suggest is to make sure you practice both sides of artwork, so you don't get rusty in one or the other. Having a balance of digital and hand drawn art is a good idea.

Do you take requests?

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I find that I make many revisions to drawings and hence, many smudges to what paper I work on. Then there's the problem of properly translating them to a digital format, which my scanner does not do so well. v.v So drawings are rare, unfortunately, but if you have tips for not destroying the medium itself, tell me!

Requests are mentioned in the first post as circumstantial, though I do take commissions.

Danmire

its okay.
is an Artist Alumnus
While I do agree that practicing both is essential for practicing, the sprites you make are where it's at.

All these sprites are amazing, and I love the dynamic pose you have on each Fakemon in the Fakedex. They're all really bright and awesome to look at.

Keep it up!

One way to not smudge up the paper too much is by lightly using the pencil to draw, and then when you like how it looks, go over it harder with your pen/pencil. I find that then the smudges don't become to big as by using light strokes, it isn't that hard to erase, so if you make mistakes, you don't smudge. Hope that helps! And yeah, with what danmire said, spriting seems to be your strong point. But keep at it with both, and keep up the great work!

Woo! I was wondering when you were going to make an art thread. I've seen your work, most noticeably on CAP, and they're awesome, although underrated... have you ever entered/will enter the WSC?

the improvement from the 2009-2012 suiguno is just wow.

You certainly are a damn good spriter, though alot of the older stuff is kinda bad. Only a little though. Just a little.

Quan :)
Your sprite work is absolutely incredible as everyone has said, and I urge you to enter the WSC (/me puppy eyes)
Just seeing the massive improvement in your stuff is great

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
Pah, Doran, the old stuff is wholly bad. You've seen the shading and outlines on those things, nevertheless the actual subject? XD

While I would enjoy trying out WSCs, I'll be busy in a week or two. Maybe if I have extra time, but Hofstadter's Law will probably trim what I haven't already plotted out.

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
Update!

A what-if? brought to fruition, in a nutshell. I went on with the idea of Necturna mimicking people and having another forme of sorts, leading to this and stats and move changes.

Color/pose practice. Don't like the pose, but the colors are neat.

My Syclar entry.

Supplemental Sketches 1
Supplemental Sketches 2
CAP 4 designs.

deviantART commissions.

Aurumoth sprites. Apparently, when making in-game-style sprites, I lean toward symmetry and boring-ness. Shiny is based on Sephiroth.

Well, there's my art dump and shortened comments on each one.

Alice

The worst taste in music
I like the cat in the window.

Please ditch pixel art in favor of more window art :3

I just shat myself looking at 2012 Suiguno, it's REALLY pixel-perfect even down to the coloring and all
Also Flamenake kicks royal ass and so does Thundape.
Wow Quanyails this is really impressive!

And yes PLEASE come for the spriting challenge thread, I'll be participating more anyway now that holidays are kicking in.

This is all absolutely wonderful, especially your Suiguno and CAP entry pixel art.
I don't have much else to say, but all your recent stuff really is fabulous, and I'm looking forward to seeing more >>

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
I update in spurts. Thank you for the comments. :)

Alice, if I could find more windows that other people want painted, perhaps, but in the meantime, I'll stay with Windows.
Ice-cold Claws, my art is always works in progress. I thank you for the comment, though I do seek to continue improving.

I've been doing bundles of commissions lately.

CAP art:

General fanart:

And some not-pixel art.

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
I've been experimenting, as always, since my last update. First of all, CAP art (sketches for it are in first post):

Misc. pixel art:

Non-pixel art (I do need practice with this :)):

For your question, Snaquaza, if you can show what you've accomplished in terms of game play, I'll give a proper response. :P

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
It depends on what image you're asking to use. If the one you want to use is an image that's not a commission, you may use it under the condition that you give credit to me. :)

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
Fulgrate: Depends on its dimensions. As pixels in pixel art are placed individually, time increases in proportion to area. A small sprite might take 30 minutes if I focus, and a large one, several days.

Art done between my previous update and this post:

A new Suiguno!

Brattler-related stuff:

I've been spriting those new Pokemon, to various degrees of accuracy.

Some commissions:

Some larger MS Paint art:

And a bunch of other large images that I'd rather not post without working hide tags. :( You can see those in the form of updated links in my first post.

Ooh I like the abomasnow, ninetails, politoad and tyraniatar pictures and also the massive picture you did! It must take a lot of patience and hard work to produce these amazing pictures! I know I could not sit there and place one pixel at a time!

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
Hollymon: Pixel art is time-consuming, indeed. X3 No more than certain other types of art, I'd think, though.

The Gen. VI sprites I whipped up are in the first post and/or the Sprite Project's spreadsheet. Sprites aside from those since my last post:

Gen. VI pixel art not for the sprite project:

Commissions:

Cawmodore-related stuff:
My art submission:

Sprite submission:

Pre-evo drawings:

Ampeater (Kitchen CAP):

And a PS! background:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)