Gen 5 The OU Viability Ranking thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I dunno why anyone tries to use Donphan as a revenge killer. Its too weak to try going uninvested against them, its a much better idea to just use it as a Rapid Spinner and leave it at that.
The great moves that you list really aren't that great for it. Close Combat is a really bad move for a defensive pokemon, and Hitmontop isn't hitting hard with it off an uninvested attack stat. The other moves have their uses, but then Hitmontop runs into the same problem that Donphan does; it needs those moveslots for other things, one for Rapid Spin, one for Foresight, one for Close Combat (or whatever STAB you want to use), and the last one can go to Toxic, Rest, Stone Edge, or any of the moves you listed. What's more, Hitmontop basically needs Toxic in order to stand any chance against Jellicent, as otherwise Jellicent will be able to sit in front of it and whittle it down with Scald while healing with Recover. The things you listed are good on the Technitop set, which is almost never used due to overlaps with other Pokemon (Breloom).
I dunno, every time I've tried to use Hitmontop, I end up wishing I was using something else. It seems like more trouble than its worth most of the time.
I don't use Hitmontop really often, but sometimes it's just the spinner that really fit a team.
I've used both sets : Technician (Fake out, Mach Punch, Sucker punch and Rapid Spin) and Intimidate (Close Combat, Sucker Punch, Stone Edge and Rapid Spin). And they do their job quite well.
Despite the bad attack stat, I used it as an offensive spinner, adamant max Attack (and HP) with Life Orb or Leftovers. He has good coverage, and can force a surprising amount of switches. And many people don't give him any credit, so they attack with their Starmie or weakened Latios and die to sucker punch.

Intimidate set is good in a balanced team, where the rock, bug and dark resist are appreciated. Technician has been a precious ally in a distortion team, where a revenge killer with good priorities is really appreciated.

The only real drawback is that he struggles to kill ghost (he can run toxik to annoy most of them thought, instead of stone edge), so use it if a spinner is useful but not mandatory on your team.

Holy shit yes I meant Jolly. I do not know where that came from. Yikes.

But one of the points I was trying to make is that Gyarados' base speed holds him back too much to sweep effectively. Bounce is not a good STAB move to rely on, but using Stone Edge opens you up to Ferrorthorn and Return to Jellicent. B-rank is where he should stay.
Yeah I agree with this. I only like using Bounce if he has Substitute. Stay at B-Rank.

81 just seems like a really weird base speed...gotta make him 1 point faster than Dragonite I suppose?

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Wow Dragonite for B-Rank? Quite a surprise.

Honestly, I'm stuck in the middle on this one. Dragonite is an extremely dangerous Pokemon, and I've been destroyed by the DD set many of times, and also swept by CB Dragonite's Extremespeed before. I think one of the biggest things going for Dragonite is it's amazing move pool and one of the few bulky sweepers in the tier. With Multiscale intact, Dragonite is pretty much guaranteed a free +1. Problem is, he's easily revenged killed by common Scarfers such as Terrakion, Landorus, and Salamence, and keeping up Multiscale for most of the battle can be quite a pain too, especially with Sand and Stealth Rocks being so common. This pretty much forces Dragonite to run Leftovers on its All out attacking and sweeping sets if he wants to abuse his ability. Although his bulk is really good for a Dragon type, his speed is quite lackluster, and it forces Dragonite to run DD or Extremespeed if it wants to have a chance at out speeding anything. Although most Dragons such as Salamence appreciate Rapid Spin support, Dragonite pretty much HAS to have a spinner if it wants to be very successful. Running no spinner on a team forces Dragonite to run Roost, which can really hinder an offensive sweeping set, and doesn't fit well on the CB set either. Still, Haxorus and Kyurem-B run a more successful CB set since they have arguably better speed with Higher attack, Haxorus being neutral to SR and common priority, while Kyurem-B has really huge bulk that can even withstand a Bullet Punch from CB Scizor. Dragonite has nice bulk too, however without Multiscale intact it really depends a little too much on its bulk to take a hit, which can really hurt it in the long run.

Overall, Dragonite has a lot of potential and can pretty much decimate teams with little effort, however it requires proper team support, Rapid Spin support, possible T-Wave support, Extremespeed, a free switch opportunity if not running roost, and it's lack luster speed really pushes it out of the A-Tier. Similar to Volcarona, it can 6-0 teams with ease, however it requires a lot of support to be able to pull off a really successful sweep, and it's lackluster speed prevents it from sweeping successfully even at +1. Even Volcarona can out speed more at +1 then Dragonite.

Don't give me hate, but now that I think about it I agree that Dragonite could possibly be B-Tier. However, it should be considered VERY high B-Tier, like Hydreigon, Skarmory, and Volcarona.

Dragonite is an amazing pokemon and should be no lower than A-Rank. Dragonite may not have the greatest speed, but like breloom and scizor, it has a powerful priority in extremespeed. CB dragonite is one of the best revenge killers, and has a powerful STAB outrage. Even though multiscale can be easily broken, offensive dragonite don't need it for very long to be successful and bulky dragonite can heal up with roost. Dragonite also has a lot of versatality, meaning that you can never know what its running until it is too late. Dragonite can also functon well in rain and sun. Rain allows dragonite to use its powerful STAB hurricanes and a useful Thunder while sun gives it psuedo STAB on fire blast. Dragonite is one of OU's biggest threats and deserves A-Rank.

Why is Keldeo S rank? There are quite a couple of common pokemon that Keldeo can't do much to them. Celebi, Starmie, Jellicent, Tentacruel, Lati@s, Toxicroak off the top of my head. The same can't really be said about Terrakion. I think he's an A rank Pokemon at best.

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Most of the pokemon you just mentioned can be 2HKOed by keldeo with the appropriate move--the same with terrakion. It's not only their raw power that puts them up there, but the ability to sweep with little effort through anything that isn't a very solid check. They both boast some really, really good coverage, especially neutral coverage, which helps them get a lot of power on most of the metagame.

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Salamence is also another victim of such revenge-killers. Yet, I have yet to see anyone propose that the Mence step down to B-Rank. Keeping Multiscale up for most of the battle? That's not the point. I feel like that is a pretty big misconception. Multiscale for pure offensive sets is only useful during the set-up period. Sure it's nice to have it stick around all the time but hey, Dragonite will encounter damage along the way. What makes Dnite such a dangerous Offensve Pokemon is that he can afford to go full of Offensive (252 Atk EVs with 252 Spe EVs) but he isn't frail and is often given an opportunity to set up more than one Dragon Dance. For support and bulkier variants, keeping Multiscale up at all times is pretty important as that is quite literally what the set was based around.
Eh, comparing Salamence and Dragonite is kind of hard to do, because both function in completely different ways. Salamence is a revenge killer and a late game sweeper, and unlike Dragonite he really doesn't suffer from fourth move slot syndrome, since it can run all the moves it needs to succeed such as Fire Blast for Steel types, Earthquake for Heatran and Tyranitar, and Outrage for extreme power. Moxie is also another reason why Salamence is so fierce, because after a few boosts pretty much nothing can stop it. Also, Salamence is indeed threatened by the same common Choice Scarfers, however one there gone pretty much nothing can stop him. Also, unlike Dragonite, I feel that Salamence is much more of an independent sweeper then Dragonite. Other then Terrakion and Mamoswine being a pain in the ass, Salamence is already decently fast, and pretty much out speeds a majority of the meta game after +1. Also, it packs moves for pretty much every situation, and has the ability to raise its attack without a turn of set up. Even without a boost, he still poses a threat since 100 speed is nothing to scoff at, while Dragonite is slower then Timid Heatran if it's running an Adamant nature, which is quite pathetic. I've actually revenge killed Dragonite with HP Ice Heatran before, but I'd never dream of revenge killing Salamence without an Air Balloon.

And that's the beauty of Multiscale. He doesn't always have to outspeed. Terrakion vs Salamence. Salamence must outspeed Terrakion to win the situation or else it'll always lose. Terrakion vs Dragonite. Terrakion can hit with Stone Edge first and get KO'd by Dragonite's CB Outrage or DD Earthquake or +1 Outrage. And TBH, Salamence's speed is lackluster as well. Sure it's base 100 but in the grand scheme of things base 100 is pretty darn slow when compared to top tier OU threats who are breaking past base speeds of 105. Also Dragonite can obtain pretty much perfect coverage through [Outrage]+[Fire Punch or Earthquake]. Therefore Dragonite really does have the luxury of running Extremespeed.
Again, keeping Multiscale intact is quite a challenge. Without ANY Rapid Spin support, Dragonite is already at a disadvantage. Combined that with Sandstorm, and DD Dragonite is pretty much forced to run Leftovers in order to survive. Salamence doesn't mind Stealth Rocks nearly as much as Dragonite because it's most commonly running a Scarf set anyway, which out speeds pretty much everything that's non scarfed. Dragonite can't properly set up on Choice Scarf Terrakion because Choice Scarf Terrakion out speeds Adamant Dragonite even at +2! Sure it can kill it at +1 if it predicts the switch, but again it's still wide open for Steel types if it decides to lock itself into Outrage, and if it's Multiscale isn't intact, then Terrakion can still win.

All A-Rank Pokemon require proper team support. If they had the capability of being self-supportive than they would go S-Rank. Reading the definition of A-Rank it clearly states that it needs support in order to perform consistently. Having to have Rapid Spin support is not enough to drop it to B-Rank. T-Wave is very optional as Dnite carries Dragon Dance. Lack Luster speed is easily alleviated by Dragon Dance and his ability Multiscale, as it allows him to survive hits from faster Pokemon.
True, but I listed several reasons, and most A-Rank Pokemon don't need more then one or two support moves or teammates to help it succeed at what it does. Dragonite needs several, and requires proper prediction, a majority of Choice Scarfers dealt with, at least +2 boosts, fourth move slot syndrome with sweeping sets, Multiscale intact, spinner, Thunder Wave support, speed makes it become out sped by most of the tier, and Extremespeed is almost a necessity on pretty much every set.

Still, it's versatility is nearly unmatched, which makes it really hard to simply scout out its set without taking a lot of damage in the process. It's still a really good Pokemon and I'm definitely not denying that. It's flaws are outweighed by its pros. It still requires a lot of team support unlike most A-Rank Pokemon to fully abuse its potential, however sets such as CB and bulky Life Orb don't require that match support to be effective. It's hard telling what tier it best fits in.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Before I implement any changes I want to cover a few hot button issues. I wanted to make a point to avoid making "impulse tier placements" because I really want to keep the integrity of each tier (especially S-tier).

Garchomp: I strongly disagree with moving it to S-tier. It's an amazing Pokemon, but I feel the need to draw the line in regards to placing it(and any other GREAT A-tier Pokemon) in S-tier. It's "good-but-not-great" speed and average power keep are some of the biggest reasons against placing it S-tier, imo. It lacks the brute strength of Keldeo and Landorus and their ability to boost their speed and utterly sweep (Choice Scarf Garchomp is hardly comparable to the likes of Scarf Keldeo or RP Landorus). I know a lot of good players dislike this decision but it's something I refuse to budge on, Garchomp simply isn't S-tier. If it is, we should strongly consider adding several other "high tier" attackers like Lati@s or Kyurem-B into S-tier.

Dragonite: There's pretty much a 0% chance of Dragonite dropping to B-tier. It has some flaws, but Multiscale will always make Dragonite relevant. The fact that it makes decent offensive to some of the most threatening Pokemon in the game is just gravy.

Gyarados: Gyarados is on the cusp of A-tier (B+ if it existed!) but I don't think it's good enough to hang with the A-tiers at this point in time. It might change, but I haven't seen any unique arguments that could change my outlook on it atm. It's good, leaning towards great, but not enough to be A-tier.

Skarmory: I'm going to go ahead and move Skarmory up to A-Tier, basically because the compelling arguments made by users like Lavos and Meru, (aka players that regularly use Skarmory) seemed to outweigh those of the opposition. If Ferrothorn is A-Rank, there's no reason to deny Skarmory a similar placement since its arguably just as good as a support pkmn / even better. Access to reliable instant recovery and phazing make it even more of a team player than Ferro imo, and the ability to reliable check threats like Terrakion, Garchomp, and Landorus-T, among others, make me feel that A-Tier is the right place for Skarmory at this point in the metagame. There's also that cutsap set that's surfacing, and its really good.

Donphan: I'm strongly considering dropping Donphan to D-tier. Donphan is bad, very, very bad. We're conditioned to think its good because its a staple on sun teams, but nobody "good" has used Donphan on a sun team for ages. I'm not even being spiteful because I think it should be UU, I honestly think its a bad crutch for players. Just to clear, this isn't a *guaranteed* change, but I want to see some arguments that support Donphan in OU.

In summary:
Garchomp stays in A-tier
Dragonite stays in A-tier
Gyarados stays in B-tier
Skarmory up from B-tier ===> A-tier
Donphan down from C-tier ===> D-tier (Possibility)
Durant added to C-tier (about time)
Crustle added to C-tier (about time)
Crobat added to C-tier

True, but I listed several reasons, and most A-Rank Pokemon don't need more then one or two teammates to help it succeed at what it does. Dragonite needs several, and requires proper prediction, a majority of Choice Scarfers dealt with, at least +2 boosts, fourth move slot syndrome with sweeping sets, Multiscale intact, spinner, Thunder Wave support, speed makes it become out sped by most of the tier, and Extremespeed is almost a necessity on pretty much every set.
I'm going to try and address these points as best I can.

Requires proper prediction: I wouldn't really say Dragonite requires anymore prediction than any other pokemon. If Multiscale is intact, usually there's hardly a need to predict since Dragonite virtually can't be OHKO'd.

Majority of Choice Scarfers need to be dealt with: Well, that is true, but the most common choice scarfers are usually things like Keldeo, Terrakion and Latios, which outspeed most of the OU tier anyway and are a threat to most sweepers. There are some slower Choice Scarfers that can outspeed Dragonite that don't other sweepers, such as Heatran or Landorus-T, but these are much less common and as noteworthy as threats. Plus, Dragonite has Extreemspeed.

At least +2 Boosts: Um, if it gets to that point it's really going to be tough to stop a sweep unless you have a solid counter like Skarmory or Mamoswine (assuming Multiscale is broken).

Four Moveslot Syndrome: I suppose, in a way. Then again, Dragon Claw/Outrage and Fire Punch has fantastic coverage bar Heatran, but it can run Earthquake to handle it. Even if it chooses Extreemspeed over it, removing Heatran isn't too much to ask of it's teammates.

Multiscale intact/Spinner: I'm grouping these together because I think their basically the same point. This is probably the best argument against Dragonite, since admittedly offensive DD sets appreciate the free turn of set up that Multiscale provides. Without Multiscale, the set loses a free set up opportunity. Luckily you can always use Starmie as a great partner to Dragonite, but I do agree that Rapid Spin is of great help to Dragonite and needing that is detrimental.

Thunder Wave Support: What? I don't think a DD sweeper needs Thunder Wave support that much. I mean, it's great for shutting down Revenge Killers, but that's just one really helpful possibility and is in no way a requirement.

So I will admit that the standard DD set does appreciate Rapid Spin support in order to keep Multiscale intact. HOWEVER, I don't think this is enough to keep it from A-Rank. Having debunked Gary's main points, I think that Dragonite does not require that much support, and is fully deserving of A-Rank.

Oh, and everything above is referring ONLY to the standard DD set. Don't forget that Dragonite has possibly the most versatility of all the dragons and has numerous other effective sets it can run.

Edit: Dang it, PK Gaming beat me to the post...

GatoDelFuego

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I agree with every decision, especially donphan. Donphan just does not deserve usage. It's a "sun team staple", but hitmontop does everything it does with a guaranteed spin and better set of resistances. All hitmontop does that donphan doesn't is set up stealth rocks, but trying to spin and do SR and defend and use priority does not work at all. And if you're using donphan for its ice shard, you're doing it wrong.

EDIT yeah get hitmontop up in this tier. It's honestly not bad at spinning. I can't speak on rotom because I've not really used it.

In summary:
Garchomp stays in A-tier
Dragonite stays in A-tier
Gyarados stays in B-tier
Skarmory up from B-tier ===> A-tier
Donphan down from C-tier ===> D-tier (Possibility)
Durant added to C-tier (about time)
Crustle added to C-tier (about time)
Crobat added to C-tier
You forgot to add rotom-h and hitmontop to C-rank. Most people agreed that Rotom-h should be added to C-rank while few people disagreed about adding hitmontop to it as well.

Sam

i say it's all just wind in sails
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Hitmontop absolutely cannot get past Jellicent or Gengar at all though and for the most part needs Close Combat to deal any damage, which is really really bad for a defensive mon. Donphan at least had Ice Shard to give it a decent role offensively, while Hitmontop is horribly outclassed in every offensive role (except technitop but that's not even viable). I'd say Donphan has a decent niche in being able to resist SR and spin, as well as having a useful, although un-STABed, priority. Keep Donphan (low) C while I don't even think 'top deserves a rank, so I guess D.

GatoDelFuego

Hitmontop absolutely cannot get past Jellicent or Gengar at all though and for the most part needs Close Combat to deal any damage, which is really really bad for a defensive mon. Donphan at least had Ice Shard to give it a decent role offensively, while Hitmontop is horribly outclassed in every offensive role (except technitop but that's not even viable). I'd say Donphan has a decent niche in being able to resist SR and spin, as well as having a useful, although un-STABed, priority. Keep Donphan (low) C while I don't even think 'top deserves a rank, so I guess D.
I really am not saying hitmontop is some kind of god but it has EXACTLY THESE SAME QUALITIES. It also gets foresight which can get past those ghosts. Donphan on the other hand is weak to water and ice, which makes for a pretty bad defensive typing with a horrid case of not being able to decide to do. There are far better defensive users of rapid spin, and the prescence of Ice Shard does not make donphan really that better at all. Unless you have some kind of deathly fear of electric attacks, forretress will be better than donphan, and it gets the plus of volt switch. Sun teams can always use hitmontop with a guaranteed spin, sr resist, intimidate, and same priority if they don't want a defensive spinner. Dohphan really has garbage offenses, earthquake does not give it a good enough presence. And don't talk about putting more than earthquake on there, because its other moves will always be SR, rapid spin, and ice shard.

It's just not good.

Durant :']

Anyway, now that one of my favorite pokemon from the most recent generation just got added, I am willing to nominate Sigilyph for D-rank. I wish it could be higher but I doubt anyone would take that proposal serious.

Sigilyph has the tiny niche of being able to pass its own burn status around without being damaged at all by any passive or entry hazard damage. It's OU analysis listed only this set for it, but it can also run a Magic Guard+Life Orb set. Aside from Magic Guard, Sigilyph has access to Tinted Lens, who is also the fastest wielder of the ability,

However, some things that hamper Sigi is its typing, which give it a whopping 5 weaknesses. Its base 103 Special attack is nothing to really worry about either since there are many other threats who's attack/sp attack are much much higher. Base 97 speed leaves it speed tying with Haxorus, who is notoriously known for being a little on the slow side to keep up with major threats.

However, please do not let these faults completely write off Sigi as unviable as it does have some sort of niche to be used.

Lavos

Banned deucer.
i'm very pleased with the changes pkgaming made to the op - in fact, i don't believe he could have done a better job evaluating the arguments and then making his decisions. that said, i'm going to be nominating lucario for a-rank, as it's a comparable pokemon to breloom or scizor, both pokemon which currently reside in a-rank, plus its sheer power and versatility is unrivaled by any priority-packing physical sweeper. close combat with a life orb boost hits like an absolute truck, even ohkoing skarmory at +2 most of the time, and all of the time after rocks. lucario's speed is just enough to let it outrun max speed jolly heatran as an adamant lucario, and though many pokemon such as gliscor and landorus-t try to speed creep it by running 280 speed or a little more, lucario can just as easily run a jolly nature to outpace these potential checks. lucario's depth of movepool is awesome, too. i already mentioned cc, but luke also has attacks such as ice punch, crunch, extremespeed, and bullet punch at its disposal. in particular, note the access to not one, but two priority moves, both of which are critical to lucario's success as a sweeper. espeed prevents other priority users from wearing luke down or even picking it off from low health, and bullet punch provides great coverage against stuff like terrakion that would otherwise be impossible for lucario to surpass. not to mention, lucario also gets both major boosting moves, swords dance and agility, allowing it both diversity and threatening potential as either a hard-hitting priority abuser or swift-striking speed sweeper. lucario's ability, justified, is the icing on the cake, allowing it to make use of its 4x dark resistance by taking whatever dark-type attack is thrown at it and using it to raise its attack one stage. get a justified boost plus a swords dance, and you can basically say gg right then and there. all in all, lucario's a powerful metagame threat that every single competent teambuilder knows to prepare for. it deserves a-rank more than anything else i can think of right now!

also supporting crustle for b-rank :toast:

Can't Ferrothorn do the same thing just a bit later in the match though? Not to mention it's Grass/Steel typing lets it wall a lot in the metagame and is just more useful overall. Also Forretress does this better as a lead. It can spin and also has Toxic Spikes and Gyro ball for Taunt Terrakion leads. As well as Explosion (nerfed) but with Normal gem can possibly get you a kill. There's no doubt that Crustle can do his job it's just that it suffers from being outclassed. I'd say he's fine in C-rank.

I saw the Smeargle hasn't been listed on here so I would like nominate it for A-rank. Fastest user of Spore and has access to every move in the game making it very versatile. Taunt? You gotta hope it's not carrying Magic Coat or you're pretty much screwed. Smeargle can do almost anything you want it to do. Since Deoxys is gone it can also set up hazards but with the unique ability of also being able to put something to sleep. 5th gen brought us Shell Smash a broken move but with it Smeargle only needs 1 turn to set up and then he can just baton pass away to a sweeper. Thoughts?

GatoDelFuego

Sheesh, smeargle for A-rank? That's just not happening. It's shut down by so many things, and it doesn't always have room for magic coat. As a hazard lead it just doesn't have the defenses of deoxys and needs a focus sash all the time. In fact, as anything it needs a focus sash all the time. It's not exactly fast, and with a ton of offensive things that can take it out in one shot it doesn't really stick around. It can do a lot of things, but it can't really do anything that well.

I'd say smeargle is C-rank at best, it's just not really that good of something to use.

i'm very pleased with the changes pkgaming made to the op - in fact, i don't believe he could have done a better job evaluating the arguments and then making his decisions. that said, i'm going to be nominating lucario for a-rank, as it's a comparable pokemon to breloom or scizor, both pokemon which currently reside in a-rank, plus its sheer power and versatility is unrivaled by any priority-packing physical sweeper. close combat with a life orb boost hits like an absolute truck, even ohkoing skarmory at +2 most of the time, and all of the time after rocks. lucario's speed is just enough to let it outrun max speed jolly heatran as an adamant lucario, and though many pokemon such as gliscor and landorus-t try to speed creep it by running 280 speed or a little more, lucario can just as easily run a jolly nature to outpace these potential checks. lucario's depth of movepool is awesome, too. i already mentioned cc, but luke also has attacks such as ice punch, crunch, extremespeed, and bullet punch at its disposal. in particular, note the access to not one, but two priority moves, both of which are critical to lucario's success as a sweeper. espeed prevents other priority users from wearing luke down or even picking it off from low health, and bullet punch provides great coverage against stuff like terrakion that would otherwise be impossible for lucario to surpass. not to mention, lucario also gets both major boosting moves, swords dance and agility, allowing it both diversity and threatening potential as either a hard-hitting priority abuser or swift-striking speed sweeper. lucario's ability, justified, is the icing on the cake, allowing it to make use of its 4x dark resistance by taking whatever dark-type attack is thrown at it and using it to raise its attack one stage. get a justified boost plus a swords dance, and you can basically say gg right then and there. all in all, lucario's a powerful metagame threat that every single competent teambuilder knows to prepare for. it deserves a-rank more than anything else i can think of right now!

also supporting crustle for b-rank :toast:
YES PLEASE.

Lucario is an absolute killing machine if it manages to get a SD boost. The ability to 2HKO the entier tier with the proper move is stellar, no matter how you look at it. I mean that shit OHKOs Skarmory after Stealth Rock. It's counters are defined by it's coverage moves. With Ice Punch, Jellicent walls it and Reuniclus wall it (However, Reuniclus takes HUGE damage from CC), and with Crunch, Gliscor and Landorus-T wall it. Lucario wrecks Stall teams if it manage to get a boost unless your opponent has a Quagsire (who even then is 2HKO'd by an unboosted Close Combat, and the power to KO faster threats after SR/Spikes is incredible.

Lucario for A-Rank plz.

I... don't get how Crustle is worth using putting B-Rank. It has an insane amount of flaws, including a god-awful defensive typing that gives it two irrelavent resists and a weakness to Rock and Water amongst other typings, is mostly outclassed by Ferrothorn who hits harder (no seriously it does quite a bit hit harder), has a better typing in most cases, has the same moves with the enrty hazard scenario, and can do work mid game unlike Crustle, who only works in the lead position really. Forretress actually has a better shot at defeating Terrakion - with a 90 Base Attack and what could be a 150 Base Power STAB move, it really isn't all that weak. Trying to get it in the sand is a mediocre idea - its bulk is mitigated by its common weaknesses and the fact that Stealth Rock kills Sturdy chances.

I also don't see how Crustle sets up on any leads. Taunt is annoying (and Terrakion can learn Taunt, mind you), its really, really, really slow, and it will only ever get maybe one hazard up - it will rarely get two layers up before it dies.

Crustle dosn't even have an OU analysis, which makes me fairly stingy about it. Furthermore, I have never SEEN NOR USED a Crustle outside of RU. I guess its OK for C, but it is by no way at the same level of Pokemon such as Gyarados, Hydreigon, and Tentacruel!

Also, I want propose Snorlax down to D-Rank: C-Rank is realy cluttered and Snorlax only has one, small niche in OU - defeating some Pokemon on a Sun team such as Volcarona and Heatran and almost nothing more. It has a ton of flaws outside of that niche, so sometimes it can be dead weight. It seems more fitting for D-Rank than C-Rank because it fails at everything else it tries to do - too many Fighting-types, too slow, and too powerful of Special Attackers.

I'm gonna disagree with moving lucario up. Lucario is good, but has trouble setting up. It has horrible 70/70/70 defenses and has to rely on bullet punch to beat gengar and terrakion. If it uses bullet punch, then jellicent and some landorus-t and gliscor wall it. It also has a mediocre base 90 speed, which means that most scarfers can outspeed it (Although EXspeed and bullet punch are things to look out for). Also, pokemon like tyranitar, who is often setup bait for lucario, can use fireblast on the predicted swords dance. Lucario is a great pokemon, but isn't a-rank material IMO.
EDIT: I agree with swamprocket about moving snorlax down. It is a horrible combination of a special wall and an attacker and has a very small niche in the metagame. It is also walled very easily.

Sam

i say it's all just wind in sails
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Forry has no offensive presence whatsoever though. And Sucker Punch is no where as useful as ice shard, at all. Foresight really kills your momentum, and at least donphan can take out the two ghosts in this tier if it's running an offensive set. Don't get me wrong Donphan is no where near great but it's much better than Hitmontop.

I will support Lucario for A-Rank.

I have used him on numerous occasions for complete success. Ofcourse he may be frail, but hes not meant to take a hit. Nor are Salamence and Breloom. On the Tyranitar note, most of them are choiced. This would allow an opporunity for an easy swords dance. However, as much as I hate contradicting myself I can see why it should remain B, as it suffers heavily from the 4 moveslot syndrome. If there was a B+ Tier or A- Tier, Lucario could easily fit those.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Forry has no offensive presence whatsoever though. And Sucker Punch is no where as useful as ice shard, at all. Foresight really kills your momentum, and at least donphan can take out the two ghosts in this tier if it's running an offensive set. Don't get me wrong Donphan is no where near great but it's much better than Hitmontop.
Hitmontop's abilities are much better than Donphan's. Yeah, Sturdy can be useful, but aren't always active like Intimidate and Technician. With Intimidate, Hitmontop takes physical moves, notably Rock attacks, better than Donphan. Top has 3 priority moves to choose from: Fake Out, Mach Punch and Sucker Punch. Fake Out is meh, but it can buy a free turn. Sucker Punch can deter Lati@s in the same manner Donphan's Ice Shard wards off 4* Ice weak pokemon, but as mentioned earlier, Ice Shard doesn't even 2HKO Salamence or Landorus 100% of the time. With Technician, Mach Punch allows Hitmontop to actually threaten things. Sure it's not strong, but way better than unSTABed Ice Shard, especially with Terrakion running around.

Foresight kills momentum? Well it's not like Donphan can really beat the two spinblockers without deviating from its most effective set (not that it really is). Jellicent can still take max Attack EQs (or Seed Bombs if you're that desperate) and proceed to outpace Donphan and cripple him with Scald. Gengar can only really be hit with Head Smash, as everything else falls short of stopping Gengar from SubDisabling and rendering your move useless anyway. Donphan's poor special bulk as opposed to Hitmontop's great special bulk also worsens his matchup against the Ghosts. As a final note of spinblockers, should Donphan run a more offensive spread to deal with the Ghosts, it now ironically weakens his ability to actually pull off the spin against everything faster due to his lack of bulk investment.

The problem with Donphan is that he tries to accomplish too much at a time, which he should be doing to avoid getting eclipsed by other Spinners. The result: everything he tries to do is lackluster. He can't kill things he's supposed to with Ice Shard, and there's no guarantee he'll beat Spinblockers even if he runs the right move which decreases his overall effectiveness. His typing is also a burden in today's metagame, which is predominated by Rain. Sure Sun can find uses for him, but wouldn't they rather enjoy a spinner that also resists SR while threatening Heatran and Terrakion and can come in on any variant of Tyranitar (even Ice Beam ones) with little concern?

While Donphan can technically do more, Hitmontop's movepool, arguably better typing, good mixed bulk and great abilities make him that much more effective at his singular best role.

Donphan is good dammit. Hitmontop can't compare because of no stealth rock or ice shard. Venusaur is a sun staple that is A rank, just saying. Unlinke venusaur donphan is also key for offensive rain teams often. Donphan + Jirachi and some sweepers is a good team. Gr8, the newly crowned champion used a team is the tornadus-t era featuring donphan, and it was a damn good team (politoed/keldeo/thundurus-t/tornadus-t/donphan/jirachi. Bri's feraligatr team also featured defensive donphan. Donphan is good because of rapid spin. Rapid spin is precious in this metagame and donphan is the best user in my opinion. He can switch into all sorts of physical attacks and continuosly spin his team to victory.

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Donphan is good dammit. Hitmontop can't compare because of no stealth rock or ice shard. Venusaur is a sun staple that is A rank, just saying. Unlinke venusaur donphan is also key for offensive rain teams often. Donphan + Jirachi and some sweepers is a good team. Gr8, the newly crowned champion used a team is the tornadus-t era featuring donphan, and it was a damn good team (politoed/keldeo/thundurus-t/tornadus-t/donphan/jirachi. Bri's feraligatr team also featured defensive donphan. Donphan is good because of rapid spin. Rapid spin is precious in this metagame and donphan is the best user in my opinion. He can switch into all sorts of physical attacks and continuosly spin his team to victory.
Aaaaaaand that's where I'm gonna have to stop you. First of all, Jirachi and Donphan are both beaten by SF Landorus, a common and very powerful threat. and even Mamoswine can't OHKO Venusaur with Ice Shard. Wanna know how much Ice Shard does to Venusaur? Ice Shard: 25.82 - 31.12%. That's, to put it bluntly, pathetic. I wouldn't even call Donphan a CHECK to Venusaur, much less a counter. In fact, Donphan is more like a walking sign that says "FREE HP FOR VENUSAUR"

Ok, but the main thing I wanted to address is that even if Donohan is good, it is not not NOT the best Rapid Spinner. I mean, seriously? How is it better than Tentacruel or Starmie? How is it getting past Jellicent or Gengar (if you say "offensive set", I'll reach through the computer and smack you. Don't make me find the moveset statistics again). Also, he isn't really sponging many physical attacks, especially since he has no form of recovery whatsoever. It really just baffles me why he's OU at all. Why use him over other spinners?

EDIT:

Look at things like Breloom that are taking A-Rank. Breloom is honestly a piece of sh*t. A good 70% of why Breloom can even dream of being A-Rank lie in his abilities Technician and Poison Heal. 20% is because of his access to Spore and 10% goes to his massive attack. Honestly Breloom is so damn straight-foward, has a huge weakness to anything that resists Technician Mach Punch, and is pretty damn frail. Breloom is yet another Pokemon that is successful in OU largely due to his abilities
:'( but...but...Breloom is great...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)