CAP 16 CAP 5 - Name Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Final Submission

Mallure

"Mal" ("evil" and/or "apple") + "Allure" + "Lure"

Pronounced: Mahl - LOOR
IPA: ˈməˈlʊr

"Mal" has a dual meaning of "evil" or "apple", befitting the serpent who had tempted mankind into sin. "Allure" and "lure" further the design and its origin with its alluring apple lure for a tail and how it lured Eve into eating that forbidden fruit. :P

Comments (Check your final submission format!)
  • Harle: I'm not too sure what to think of Omeneve; there's a good flow to them, but there's something with it (alternating vowels and consonants, perhaps) that I find strange. Ourosuade's pretty good; the origins of the words are more obvious, but they still flow well. I mentally put 'suave' in place of 'suade' there, which is a mispronunciation. Can't do anything about that, though.
  • Max Fightmaster: I'll address that it reminds me of 'tall' more than 'fall'. It sounds like it'd fit, but it'd get slight confusion for its word origin.
  • DrNeoCortex: Both of them reference mythology and snakiness, and they both flow well! I like the sound of Cerepent. Just make sure to look at final submission format.
  • iamdanielcruces: It has an odd assembly of letters, but it sounds really cool. :) I like it.
  • adonnis85: Heh, Rappler remind me of 'rap', and I bet people'll make that connection during and (potentially) after the art polls. I'd rather not have that connection.
  • Espeon65: Not bad with the references, but the etymology gets slightly confusing when you piece the words together. You're free to brush this comment aside. :P
  • Nyktos: I think of Ophidden instead, if only because it currently reminds me of a certain type of den. It could also add another word, 'hidden', like the snake's tendency to ambush its prey. Pychthon is cool, but that 'chth' in the middle makes it pronounced the same as 'python', or it confuses those who don't know how 'chthonic' is pronounced.
  • Roserade Raider: Hmm, hiss names. Not too fond of them unless they really work well with another word, which this one does so less. :(
  • RabidChipmunk: Like with Vann Accessible, say the name out loud, and see why it's a good name, but why it won't work.
  • Haradion: Forsnaken without that extraneous E is my favorite of your bunch, but none of them are that interesting to me.
  • Mari: Temptolvo has a nice sound to it, as does Cladisnake. Their origins aren't too obvious, though, and that's my concern.
  • Allethosea: I like both names you've posted, even if they are a little cheesy. :) They fit and have some component words that reference various parts of it while still being obvious!
  • KoA: Addler is simple and has good flow and has great references to its origins and snakiness, though I can't see it working as the name for this CAP for its simplicity. Maybe a pre-evolution.
  • Vann Accessible: Telltail does have a wonderful few implications to its name, and it certainly would fit. It would be a fun change from the other CAP names we've gotten. Basilibulb has less of an effect to me, but I can see it working.
  • kickbox: Glython looks better, and I'd avoid a reference to something overtly religious. Anguit is also cool, if it weren't for the fact that the 'ui' in your component words are probably pronounced differently.
  • Quickster: Not bad. o3o That is all.
  • Ruby XIII: Pretty obscure in word origin, if you ask me. :P
  • Juicy: Ah, homophone. ;D To the pronunciation, certainly!
  • RegiFlame150: I'd take Wrapple, although it's slightly sillier than my personal preference. The component words are great, though, and it flows well, which are my requirements for a good name. :)
  • SubwayJ: As mentioned, it makes me think of a bookworm rather than a deceitful snake. If it was for that, though, you'd have a shot at garnering voters.
  • BrianFantana: 'Trick' is less obvious due to the 'st' start from 'constrict', though it works; I do prefer Malevopent, even if I bet it'll face competition with Malaconda.
  • Keiran: 'Lact-' is often associated with milk; 'galaxy' referred to the Milky Way, lactation is the secretion of milk, and lactose is the milk sugar. Thus, Lactaboa makes me think of milk as well. Pessimamba does make me think of pessimism, which doesn't fully relate to the concept, but it's much closer than what 'lacta' implied.
  • Ralts: Kalhissti is a 'hiss' portmanteau that is punny, but not too egregiously so to have me have an aversion to it. It fits, flows, and isn't too obscure or obvious.
  • pux: Ouraboros is my favorite out of your bunch, albeit it could be thought of as 'our' 'arboros'. If you cut the 'u' out, it looks less like that, but on the other hand, it looks clunkier as a whole. Hmm. :/
  • Kirbyofthestars: Between the 'bd' combination and the lack of 'ce', I'm not feeling the origins and flow of the name. I feel that there would be something from mythology that ends in 'bdu', but as it stands, it's rather clunky.
  • Nomark: Cute, certainly. I can't see it as a serious contender for this CAP's name, though; a pre-evolution, perhaps, but not this design. Shame, though, since I really do like it.
  • Thunderbolta: First one is nice and would fit with what pokemon occasionally does with names. Vismith doesn't make me think of vipers or apples, so go with Crueltalus. :P
  • BloodOmen: If you can fit 'hiss' with another word so that the entire thing flows, do so, but this combination doesn't as much.
  • Darth Missingno.: I don't know. I like both of them! That is tricky, then to decide, but if I had to choose, I'd go with Anguile, since its origins are slightly more obvious.
  • SodaSwordfighter: It works, though it's on the obvious side of names. I'm not opposed to it. :P
  • ProfessorPyroak: Eagle4 already mentioned the name. :|
  • ShravanP: The second name makes me think that the 'asp' stems from 'wasp'; the snake isn't very aggressive--just deceptive. Ominasp is better, in my opinion, although if you can, think of another name.
  • Yarnus of Bethany: I don't actually see the suggestion; I see just 'Eden' and 'apple' smushed together. :/
  • Lster728: Surrpent will face competition with other names with 'serpent' in them. Surreptile is of the same idea, but I like it for how well 'surreptitious' and 'reptile' mingle with one another. :)
  • adhdtv: But it's not based off of Norse mythology? Christian and Greek were stated by Dracoyoshi8, but not Norse.
  • ShadowLime: Orcharm is nice, even if I think 'ore' is a stretch. 'Orchard' and 'charm' are good enough for name components.
  • CJorex: This is both well-fitting and humorous at the same time, and it'd certainly alleviate some of the snake's deviousness! It brings a smile to my face, and it stands among some of the names I'll be voting for. :) I think the 'hiss' is unnecessary, though, and weakens the effect of 'delicious'.
  • Flaresun: It is a bit of an unobvious mingling of words. That will not do well with voters. IPA, find a translator or use it from a dictionary. Apologies.
  • Shanimanim: Ending a name with the idea of 'viper' will remind me of 'Seviper', which had already done it. Not that that's bad, but I'd like to personally see some variety. :)
  • Flare Blitzle: I had thought of doing something like that, but I waved it off when trying to piece it together so it didn't sound muddled. I suppose your rendition works. o3ob
  • Aurist: Hmm, really? Nachash means both 'serpent' and 'shine'? That certainly stands out. :) It sways me toward liking the name. Just remember the final submission format.
  • TooMuchSugar: I like it! It's short, but it fits very well.
  • TheTraininator: Addlure, certainly. :P Just remember that 'adder' is the type of snake, not 'addler'; that's KoA's idea.
  • Yveltal: ? The words aren't obvious as to their origins, which is key for my favor.
  • Spork: Hmm, okay, but it's of Christian/Greek, not Mesoamerican mythology. o3o Not that it can't be used, but it's less fitting than other names that attempt the same idea.
  • Midnight: I prefer Envallper, though it faces competition. :P
  • Shadowartistic: Obvious, but it works.
  • Unoriginal Name: Nedevyl is a bit too original, I think. :P The original words aren't too obvious, so it comes off as fantasy outside of Pokemon to me.
  • Itsame: One reason it hadn't come up before is that Sceptile already exists. :/
  • Dracoyoshi8: o3ob It works, though I don't favor your name over anyone else's because you're the designer of the snake. 'Lance' makes me think of, well, lances more than snakes.
  • Don Honchkrorleone: Malucifer would work, but it's blatantly religious with one of its component words. Greek mythology with 'Eris' in Erisnake is less drastic. I've heard this tactic being used to gauge your name; how would you feel if you met a pokemon named 'Malucifer' while roaming around?
  • srk1214: Corruptile sounds better than Applesnake and is less compound-y. :)
  • Rodan: Eh, you're not taking this seriously. :P Put up a proper final submission if you are.
  • GRs Cousin: Great!
  • Jebus McAzn: I'm personally not fond of names that directly reference Christian concepts, since they can be offensive to certain people. If that were not the case, your name'd work.
  • Woodchuck: It would be great with what you're saying, but I also see a distortion of 'crater' in the name. that aside, though, yeah, good job!
  • RivRivRiv: Top contender in other people's books, though just slightly less so in mine.
  • ShravanP: Okay. o3o
  • RavensNation: I doubt people'd want the string 'Satan' directly in a pokemon's name. :| As mentioned with others, would you want to see the name of this pokemon when you encounter it? "Wild Satanicoil appeared!" I don't think so. :P
  • Eagle4: Aw, Pythorn would've been nice. :) It has thorns and it could be a python. Envyper, of course, reminds me of Seviper.
  • Hollymon: Yay! :D Thank you for using a name that's not overtly religious.
  • Leethoof: o3ob
  • Magistrum: o3ob
  • Mos-Quitoxe: Final submission format! But otherwise, o3ob
  • tyranitar1234: Make sure to tastefully use foreign words instead of plucking them out without a specific reason, and make sure that if you read the words without knowing their origins, you'll get their components.
  • Golurkyourself: Ah, my thought coincided with yours on the topic of 'ninja'. 'Naja' and 'Nahash' are less obvious, but they work. All of it works. :)
  • deathsnake951: o3ob
  • Timeblaze: o3ob

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
Final Submission

Snarvest

A combination of "Snake" + "Harvest" OR "Snare" + "Harvest"

Pronounced: SnAAr-vest
IPA: ˈsnɑɚvəst

The name draws upon the fundamental duality of the CAP's design and ability. The concept art seems reminiscent of a snake with an Adam's apple, hence probably making a metaphorical reference to Satan's 'snake' which 'snared' Eve at the garden of Eden, which explains the 'dark' type flavor.

Final Submission

Bacamba

A combination of "Baca" + "Mamba". Baca is latin for Berry and Mamba is a type of snake.

Pronunciation: "BAH - kom - bah"
IPA: bɑkɒmbɑ

Final Submission

Hissenter

A combination of "hiss" and "dissenter". I didn't want the name to reflect evil so much as rebellion.

Pronounced: "hiss-SEN-ter"
IPA: hɪsɛntʰɚ

I was actually going to give up on this, but I just suddenly came up with this and I couldn't not submit it. It's unfortunate that it missed the feedback stage, but that's just how things happened.

Final Submission

Rattlesin

A combination of "Rattle" (rattlesnakes or upsetting as defined) and "Sin" (illegal or immoral action).

Pronounced: RA-tull-sin
IPA: rætlsɪn

I've drawn inspiration from the CAP's likely mischevious nature (since sin is defined as an immoral or illegal action), as well as the animal it seems based on, Rattlesnakes. They make a rattling sound with their tails that hold a literal rattle. CAP5 has an apple at the end of its tail that probably wouldn't rattle, but it looks like a rattlesnake as a whole. As said before, "sin" comes from CAP's mischevious nature. "Rattle" could also come from the upsetting someone due to said nature.

Final Submission

Bellethiss

"Belle," - "beautiful" in French, referencing Adam's Apple and Aphrodite/her apple, as well as a narcissistic nature;
"-thiss" - onomatopoeia for sound snakes make.

Pronounced: Bell - eh - thiss

IPA: bɛlɛthiss

Final submission

Corrgaloa

Pronounced like core-geh-low-uh, It uses a number of different words that tie in to it's visual.
Corr- comes from both "core", like an apple core, and "corrupt".
-gal- is the first three letters of "gala", a type of apple.
-oa is the last two letters in "boa"
It also sounds a bit like "cordel", an old spanish word for "God's Warrior". This is a play on the theology that the snake in the Garden of Eden had a connection to Satan who has a literary connection to Lucifer, a fallen angel.

Nyktos

Custom Loser Title
Nyktos: I think of Ophidden instead, if only because it currently reminds me of a certain type of den. It could also add another word, 'hidden', like the snake's tendency to ambush its prey. Pychthon is cool, but that 'chth' in the middle makes it pronounced the same as 'python', or it confuses those who don't know how 'chthonic' is pronounced.
I actually went with one D because I didn't want people to think it came from "hidden"...but given that "forbidden" has two Ds anyway, that doesn't really make much sense. Yeah, I guess I'll go with two if I do submit it.

As for Pychthon, pronouncing "chthonic" with a hard CH is actually an acceptable pronunciation but you're right inasmuch as pronouncing it silently is probably a lot more common (though honestly I'm not sure I've ever heard the word said out loud). I guess I could change it to Pykthon to make it more obvious how it's meant to be pronounced at the expense of making the origin less clear.

Kadew

*bird sounds*
is an Artist Alumnus
Final Submission

Serpentice

Serpent + entice

Pronounced: SURP-in-tice
IPA: ˈsɜrp ɛnˌtaɪs

Mostly what I like about this name is that the words blend smoothly into each other, no crazy spellings or obtuse pronunciation, while also being relevant to the snakeish and mythological themes.

Yilx

Sad
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Final Submission

Apulcuros

It's a pun on "Ouroboros" and "Applecore". Straight to the point.

Pronounced: Apple-core-o's
IPA: ɑːplkaʊərʌrs

Final Submission

Phares
Pronounced: Fair - eez
IPA: fɛriz

So Ekans and Arbok did it, how about CAP5.
The word is Seraph spelt backwards (almost, kept the 'ph' the same). The word comes from the Hebrew Bible which used the word as a synonym for serpent. It seemed fitting considering the biblical backstory and relation to the Garden of Eden. The backwards spelling also shows a distortion to the word Seraph. The word is usually used for 'heavenly serpent', or simply 'heavenly' in other biblical texts. Just as you flip the crucifix upside down to become a symbol for the devil the same applies here.

The fallen angel of the serpent kingdom represented in a fitting distortion of the 'heavenly snake'.

Final Submission

Kepplur

Combines the sounds of snake and apple lure. Which seems very fitting to it's name.

Pronounced:Kep-lER
IPA: kɛpplʌr

Final Submission

Kundailu

"Kunda" - Taken from the Sanskrit word "Kundalini"; literally meaning "coiled". Kundalini is described as a sleeping, dormant potential force in the human organism. Also as a form of yoga and meditation meant to channel one's chakra.

"Ilu" - Taken from the breed of apple "Aia Ilu", created in Estonia in the mid 1940's. It is yellow, juicy, and bittersweet with a weak aroma.

Pronounced: Koon-DAE-lu
IPA: kyːdæljuː

Final Submission

Aspice

From "Asp" (a kind of snake) and "Spice". I thought that "Asp" was particularly good since it is a famous instrument of suicide (Cleopatra.)

Pronounced: as-PICE
IPA: aspIs

Final Submission

Sinhisster

A play on the word "Sinister", emphasizing the hissing sound of snakes and sin.

Pronounced: sin-uh-ster
IPA: sɪnɪstə

Final Submission

Demalden

Demeter (Greek goddess of the harvest) + Mal + Eden

Pronounced: Duh-MALD-in

IPA: Dʉ-mæld-ɪn

Final Submission

Mambdu

Combination of "Mamba" + "Seduce"; I feel as if both of these words fit the concept of this CAP, and provide a bit of creativity.

Pronounced: (MAM-dew)
IPA: mɑmbdu

Final Submission

Snidewindr

Snide, meaning evil, intermixed with sidewinder, a kind of snake.

Pronounced: SNIDE-wine-dur
IPA: snaɪdwaɪndʌr
As of right now this, in my opinion, stands head and shoulders above almost every other entry. It fits the Mon, rolls off the tongue perfectly, and sounds the most Pokémon-esq. Kudos leethoof.

erisia

Innovative new design!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Final Submission

Eriserpent

A portmanteau of Eris, the Greek goddess of strife and discord associated with the golden apple, and serpent.

Pronunciation: ear-is-err-pent
IPA: ɪər
ɪsər
pənt

Final Submission

Glython

From "gluttony", which fits with Harvest and the low base Speed, "lie", and "python".

Pronounced: "GLIE-thon"
IPA: glaɪθon

Final Submission

Pythice

Pyth-ice
Pyth- derived from the word Python
ice - last part of the word Entice (another word for allure)

Pronounced: Pyth-ice

This is one which fits the design and background, as well as his pose perfectly. From Eden to alluring helpless Pokemon ready to strike at them it does this with malicious intent. It then constricts it's opponents, piercing them with those thorns of his. Python is a constricting snake which seems to fit this better. Also, the way the Pokemon says it make sthe end sound like a hiss.

Nyktos

Custom Loser Title
Final Submission

Pychthon

From python (either the snake or the deity) + chthonic (literally meaning "underground" but usually referring to the Greek underworld).

Pronounced: PIKE-thon
IPA: ˈpaɪkθɒn

Eh, difficult-to-pronounce names are par for the course in Pokémon, including names that aren't pronounced the way their root words suggest they should be. And pronouncing chthonic with a hard CH is a valid, if less common, pronunciation. In fact, the Ancient Greek root word was most likely pronounced that way. So I think this is fine.

Final Submission

Rattlure

Pronounced: Rattle-ler

IPA: rætlɜr

A combination of Rattle(r) and Lure, due to the nature of the apple on its tail being akin to the rattle on a rattlesnake, as well as it being used as a lure for prey, referencing both the bible myth and its dark type.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)