Other Metagames Premiere League Discussion

Which metagames should be included in OMPL?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Before you start talking about how OM doesn't have the playerbase and such, just look at how well this forum fits a PL format. We have no shortage of metagames to choose from, so this is a perfect way to represent multiple in a somewhat legit way. I was thinking something along the lines of 6 teams with maybe 4-6 players on a team and that many metagames could draw the required number of users. Honestly I think most of these metas have at least 6 users who play competitively. Along with OM of the month, this is a great way to draw attention to the forum and increase the popularity of some metas.

I included a poll to see which metagames y'all think would be best. Probably some sort of balance between showing off obscure metas and including metas with a sizeable playerbase. So please post in regards to what type of format would make this possible, and if you truly think there is no way to make this work feel free to explain your reasoning!

EDIT: I didn't add a lot of other metas so if you want stuff like DuskMod and Redux post please, I'll take everything into account :)

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
Balanced Hackmons, PU, and Doubles are all no brainers. They're all somewhat popular metagames (for an OM, at least), and would be the ones people have had most experience in.

Fusxfaranto

gonna smoke five blunts and watch anime
GSC Redux >>>>> GSC Modern imo. Also randbats/challenge cup are pretty obvious ones too

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I think this is an awesome idea that I would definitely get involved with should it ever come into fruition. That said, I feel like randbats should be included as well. That alone would probably attract a decent amount of players. Besides, I love randbats. :>

Anyways, I agree with doubles and PU as definites. I also feel like one of the Hackmons (probably Balanced since its much more user-friendly) as well as Glitchmons should get honorable mentions since they have ladders on main. It looks like one of the Hackmons at least will be included with the amounts of votes they've garnered. But Glitchmons is a pretty cool meta too, and I think it would probably be good for it to get some extra attention. That's just me though; if people don't want to play it, don't include it.

Aside from that, it's all up to preference for sure. Lots of great OMs that are a blast to play, and I would definitely be up for an OMPL.

Edit: yeah, it looks like there have been both 12 voters and 12 votes for Balanced Hackmons. I would say auto-include.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
No Randbats please - premier league is supposed to be competitive; there's no discussion thread about it either.

Reiterating Axaj's point: GSC Redux >>> GSC Modern - the latter is simply restricted BW2 OU, while the former actually tries hard to re-create the GSC feel using the current metagame. Please replace GSC Modern with GSC Redux.

Why NOT Zarel's Gen-NEXT????

Sorry about putting Modern over Redux and missing a couple metagames :/

I feel there's a general consensus for:
Balanced Hackmons
PU
Doubles
Tier Shift

Anyone object to having these four metagames? In addition, is four enough or should we have more?

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
All right, I'm on my 3DS so I can't say a ton right now; I'll make this quick.

OMPL is something I've wanted to do for a while for basically all of the reasons stated by Hyperbeem (also because it would be fun). I don't have nearly enough of the details solidified yet and need to talk to Birkal about it. What I know so far:

- Balanced Hackmons and Doubles will both be included. These two have the largest serious playerbase and are both playable on all PS servers.
- Tiershift will almost certainky be included, given its OMotM status and rapid growth in popularity.
- Random Battle is on the table. It has the benefit of drawing more players in who may not otherwise take notice. If it is included, two extra battles will be played to reduce the matchup factor involved.
- I need people to help me because I am a dumb and do not know the finer details of SPL...

I'm going to leave this thread open until I have more concrete details, at which point I will create a new thread. For now, I would like Pocket, Nixhex, Hyperbeem, Birkal, Joim, PureQuestion, and verbatim to contact me (if possible) so we can arrange a time to discuss this on #othermetas.

Joim

Pixels matter
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I will try to contact you today / tomorrow morning. I think this is a super great idea and would attraction more competitive players to OMs.

verbatim

[PLACEHOLDER]
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
I will most likely not be free until Friday; if this needs to happen sooner I can be reached via private message.

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I'm around whenever, just hit me up on IRC.

Also, it'd be fun to have a round of the all-CAP metagame represented here! It's pretty popular on the sim, and I'm sure people would be willing to play it.

I am totally in for this. I've always wanted to do tournaments for balanced hackmons and tier shift. As for randbats, best of 3 seems pretty fair. There's still some randomness to it, but it gives a little more opportunity for skill to shine through.

Modern and redux are totally different. They are similar but play differently. Random battle is nit fun though because everyone wants to play their metagames and taking a spot for a less community fun metagame for randbats is kind of not so fun. I don't 100% understand SPL like arcticblast but it is gen 3 gen 4 and gen5 OU or am I confusing it with Snogon tour idk... Anyways I think that it should be balanced hackmons, but if that is chosen glitchmons and pure hackmons should be skipped because of similar. If GSC redux is picked then skip GSC modern or vice versa.

So in summary the metagames in order of Best choice to worst:
Balanced Hackmons
Doubles
TierShift
PU
6 Move OU
GSC Modern (6 at most right?)
Personally I fell that glitchmons and hackmons are too similar to BH to be picked.

Mr. Uncompetitive

What makes us human?
is a Contributor Alumnus
Hell ya I'd play this (most likely 6 Moves, maybe PU or 3mon)

Odd that GenNEXT is not included in the poll but this is still a good selection

a fairy

is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Community Leader
Bo3 Randbats seems like a good idea, I can't really think of a reason it shouldn't be included - it's just as competitive, just the teams aren't preplanned or whatever.

Also, is Monotype a possibility?

8 teams of one each (PU/Randbats/Balanced Hackmons/Tier Shift/Doubles/CAP) seems to be the best choice atm. Any suggestions?

For everyone mentioning it I imagine Zarel would be opposed to Gen NEXT's inclusion, given that it's a WIP. He was also opposed to being entered into OMotM, was he not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)