Tier Shift Metagame (THIS IS BW)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joim

Pixels matter
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
The Tier Shift ladder is going to stay.
I have mixed feelings about Charizard, it hits like a truck but dies easily despite its bulk :/

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
While I think it's too early to start viability rankings (the metagame needs to stabilize a lot), I'm totally cool with Tier Shift Research Week, so if anyone wants to start that they have my permission. Send me a PM first though so we can figure out where to start.

I'm up for helping with this. It's a fun meta and I think there's still a lot of stuff that we haven't even mentioned yet.

Research week should be fun.

So what exactly is this: Research week?
Copy pasted this from a research week thread here:

Research Week looks to investigate Pokemon that have potential in RU, be it in stats, movepool, or supporting their team, to serve as an innovative choice in today's metagame. These are Pokemon that, for the most part, remain relatively untested. I've selected 4 Pokemon I feel, with help from everyone else, could see the rise of new and powerful sets, or the fulfilment of a particular niche. Perhaps the title is a bit of a misnomer; in fact, this installment (and likely future ones) of Research Week will continue as long as the discussion does, and that's where you all come in.

If you have anything to say about any of these Pokemon, please post about them! It doesn't matter if you've used them or have just faced them in battle, anything is fine (but please, do try them). Just be sure to back up your posts with good competitive reasoning!

-Be open-minded, don't just say something is terrible and walk away; at least look into them and see what options they may be able to utilize!
-Feel free to theorymon, but make it clear that you are theorymon'ing. At the end of the week, however, I want discussion to move towards how useful the Pokemon actually are in RU, and what sets are effective on them.
-Just because an analysis has been done for a Pokemon doesn't mean there isn't more to explore; it's quite possible that something might have gone unnoticed or is missing.
-Do not post in this thread complaining about the Pokemon I choose and/or suggesting ones we should do for future weeks. I want discussion to stay on topic about the 4 Pokemon we are "researching". Feel free to VM / PM me these suggestions, but don't expect the next research week to have all the Pokemon you suggested, or any of them.

We actually would have to research the OU pokes as well. The metagame is based on OU but with al those new threats around they have to be played with way more caution. And in some cases it seems the OU mon is outclassed by the tier shifters

It might be interesting to take a look at what niches are filled by what Pokemon, whether it be things like Leads, Suicide Sweeepers, Wallbreakers, etc. and how they compare to most OU Pokemon already in those niches.

I think a potential community effort would be a nice idea, I just think we need to wait to further solidify the meta. But I would happily join in on any attempts at a analysis of the metagame.

I think some serious testing might be a good way to help settle down the metagame a bit better; testing is the main thing that's going on at the moment anyway, why not try making an organized effort?

Just at the moment, let's see what people are interested in.

From here on, I'l like to see Nominations for Pokemon you would like to see tested.

I'll maintain a list here:

Nominees:
-
Ninjask
-
Sawk
-
Amoonguss
-
Jynx
-
Cresselia
-
Mandibuzz

ninjask is actually really good, the 105 attack it gets is now workable, with decent support it can easily sweep. I've ran sd/aerial/nightslash/xscizor with a custap rock/spike/spin/switch forre

I'll nominate Ninjask too, since I've been using it so much to counter sun teams. It's actually really good now. It straight up killed 4 members of an enemy sun team and crippled another. I've actually been considering Swords Dance over U-Turn (or maaaaybe X-Scissor) as of late, since people are starting to learn to run away from Ninjask instead of trying to counter the Baton Pass variant by setting up alongside it.

If we can nominate two, I want to see how Sawk is doing in this metagame.

I have a few nomination. First being Pikachu, we know that it can serve as a powerfull wallbreaker on paper but how about in practice due to its frailness. Second nomination Scyther, I tried it out for a couple matches and on a team I was trying and since it never got to see the field, I didnt keep it around and swapped it out. Third nomination would be Guagsire, I had this thing use on me once and found to the be the most annoying thing if it can Stockpile.

Cresselia.

Everyone hates to see Cress unless they have some kind of sure fire way of getting rid of her of her big fat duckface. With 130/130/140 defenses, Calm Mind, ChestoRest, Moonlight on sun teams, etc, she can quickly move from Wall to Sweeper during Late and Endgame.

Dogfish44

You can call me Jiggly
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributor
I'd actually like to nominate Jynx.

From experience, she's probably one of the most reliable counters to many rain teams in the tier, with Dry Skin and Energy Ball making life significantly easier, whilst also being a great supporter through Lovely Kiss and Heal Bell, as well as the ability to run a sweeper set owing to Nasty Plot and Calm Mind.

I'd also like to nominate Amoonguss

Amoonguss has great bulk to work from alongside Regenerator and Spore, whilst doubling up as a great counter to many stat boosters in the tier through Clear Smog. Works great in rain, where it can switch into Grass and Electric attacks easily.

I'm sorta wondering if Cresselia really needs more testing?
Maybe not Cress herself, but maybe her checks need to be discovered? When people start discussing Suspecting her as soon as the Metagame becomes popular, we need to find what actually deals with her, or she'll be over-centralizing imho.

If not, I'd like to look at Aggron. That STAB Head Smash has got to be wrecking something.

I want to nominate cube or whiscash.
Kyurem b is really powerful in this metagame. The best steel types didn't get boosts and/or do 't have reliable recovery. Also, lots of hazard setters and spin blockers got boosts and even some trappers to wear down steels. Plus the weather dominance nets free KOs for CB cube leads against toed or tales.
Dd rest whiscash is just... Unstoppable in rain. And neither ninetales nor tyranitar should be switching into it

It'd be nice but Research Weeks don't work backwards like that;

If you want, you can nominate a theoretical counter to try testing.
Actually RGs are pretty open ended and encompass pretty much everything about a Pokemon including what checks it and ways to get around it.

I'm going to PM the mod with the idea....

I think 4 Pokemon is good. Secondly with a brand new metagame it is a much better idea to RG commonly used moms rather than just theorymon threats.

You'll never get anywhere if you don't establish the metagame first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)