CAP 16 CAP 5 - Final Product

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magistrum

DOITSU NO KAGAKU WA SEKAI ICHI
is a Top Artist Alumnus
Heeere's the animated sprites:

WHAT A BOSS:naughty:

Good job to everyone involved in this CAP! Glad to be a part of this project, although my contribution is minimal (just art and votes). I look forward to CAP6 and hopefully contribute more! ^_^b

Heeere's the animated sprites:

those look 100% legit. if you showed those to me and 6th gen was still sprite based, i would believe you. absolutely. fantastic work.
EDIT IS THAT A GREEN TONGUE ON THE SHINY ONE I SEE?

that...
that is epic.
i think i might like the shiny more, now.

I think Malaconda looks great overall. I'm really interested to see how it does in the playtest. I'm actually curious as to how the standard Sun teams will change in the Malaconda metagame since it does so many useful things for Sun teams, which should in turn free up some extra teamslots for other interesting options. I definitely have high hopes for Malaconda's success. I think the movepool, abilities, and stats we gave it should do well in helping it to fulfill its roles as a bulky Sun supporter.

Also, those animated sprites look excellent, Wyverii. Good job!

To echo what seems to be a rousing chorus: this was the first CAP I participated in and looking back, I seem to have made all the right votes...do not think I voted on the movepool mind you but still.
Brilliant work everyone! Let's move onto the playtesting! I have been looking forward to this!

So, when is this CAP going on-site?

In other news, I'm sorta glad Wyverii's sprite won, since it looks the closest to the 'official' sprites. I didn't imagine just how much my sprite was lackluster compared to everyone else.

T_T

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I think we finally created a CAP that isn't too OP. I mean look at stuff like Necturna and Aurumoth

Challenge: create a rain team in the CAP playtest

I also agree with the others in that CAP5 looks like a big success. In no small part thanks to the TLT model turning out very effective, with a big thank you to all 5 of its members.

I've joined when Mollux was in progress so this isn't my first CAP, but I have no choice but remember Malaconda because it's the first CAP where one of my entries got slated - and went on to win. Thank you so much for all your votes and support, everybody. ^_^ I look forward to future CAPs now and hope we'll make them even better.

But yeah, playtest first. I'm fairly sure we did everything we could to achieve the concept, but it's the data from the battles themselves that'll show if we succeeded. Good luck in your battles folks!

nyttyn

From Now On, We'll...
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
While I think Malaconda did go fairly well, I don't get why people are giving it a rousing chorus and saying it is without fault. After-all, the concept got basically hijacked to be "Sun Supporter." I don't doubt CAP5 won't be a great pivot for sun, and many people claim this supports the concept qutie well, but it's extremely disturbing that most people haven't even so much as talked about the concept in months. To be fair the concept was quite vague and is going to be very difficult to judge if we succeeded or not due to CAP metagames having a natural CAP bias, so perhaps it's for the best.

We'll just have to see how it goes in the playtest.

Quick rundown of the questions once more.

Is a types usefulness relative to the metagame or is it intrinsic? (Ie. Can any type be the "best" type given the right circumstances or do type match-ups, available STAB moves etc mean some types will always be better than others?)

Answered in Concept Assessment, it was agreed that it was mostly intristic, and that Water, Dragon, and Steel were the best types.

What exploitable weaknesses do "good" types in OU have? Are their currently pokemon that can exploit them and if so, how do they function differently to CAP5?

Mostly answered during Concept Assessment.

How (if at all) will the targeted types adapt to the situation created? Will people choose different movesets, abilities, etc or will they just use them more/less? How is this linked to the way CAP5 functions strategically?

While we didn't actually target any types specifically since we chose to instead target a team archtype, Malaconda does directly threaten water and psychic types. We'll have to wait to see how water types react but I'm going to take a wild guess here and predict a massive spike in ice beam/equivilent usage (not that every water type who had it who wasn't Gyarados or Azumarill didn't use it before). And Psychics will probably jus treact the same way they react to TTar.

What effects will the changes on certain types' presence have on the metagame?

This question is going to go unanswered since CAP5's playtest is going to be biased towards Malaconda. Unless it goes on for months, the usage stats for this are going to be extremely unhelpful due to bias.

Which members of the targeted types will benefit and suffer from this most and why?

We didn't target a type, we targeted a team archtype, so this question was made irrelevant.`But to answer the spirit of it - Ice, Fire, and Flying are going to benefit thanks to rapid spin. Water will slightly suffer due to a good grass type being introduced.

By creating CAP5, have we learnt any new ways to counter good types or use bad types?
No, as we just combined aspects of play already known (Rapid Spin is nice to help out types who have a SR weakness, Grass murders Water, Dark murders Psychic).

Also, as a complete side note, this CAP really showed we have a serious issue with the VGM system because as it stands every single move is weighed equally as simply "VGM," regardless of any factor other then being "good," putting heavy pressure on movepool building. While I don't think we should start going into a extremely complicated "xyz move is VGM for yzc stats and move type" system, I think that we should at the very least look into weighing how "good" moves are, because there is no way in hell Acid Spray is on the same level as Spore.

Not all my hopes on the polls went through, but it was fun taking part in the stages that I did.

Also Nyttyn, Azumarill runs Ice Punch.

Bull of Heaven

I'm not sure I agree with nyttyn about the problems with this CAP. I would say that one of the more interesting things in this particular project was how we absorbed a number of things people want to see in OU (an answer to Drizzle, new and better spinners, more viable defensive threats and our actual concept) and put them through a single process that never looked scattered or unfocused. Malaconda is really a response not just to disparities in type usage, but to the BW2 metagame as a whole, and I think it's fair to congratulate ourselves for putting all of that into a single Pokemon that is almost certainly not broken, and will probably accomplish the goals we set.

Personally, I want to try rain on the ladder, as well as sun stall. I've never really used either of those before though, so we'll see whether I even get past the teambuilding step. See you guys in the playtest, when I'll sadly have to put my mono-Ground CAP team away for a while.

Oh, and even though it wasn't slated, it was fun to submit a movepool again. Maybe I should do it more often.

paintseagull

pink wingull
is a Top Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Thanks to everyone for your hard work, especially jas, capefeather, DLC, Deck, Korski, CAP forum mods and Wyverii :) This has been a fun project! Hope to see you guys on the playtest. And thanks to the PRC members for the hard work before this project - it looks like most (if not all) of our changes have been successful.

Awesome! Another CAP for the ever-growing roster :D Let's hope this guy gets sun some well-deserved love :)

GJ everyone :D

Also Wyverii: Dat sprite! Always love your sprites :D Animation is sweet, too!

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
The Inaugural CAP 5 Playtest Battle is going to go down in a few minutes! Join us on the Pokemon Showdown main server to watch it. Our Topic Leader, jas61292, is taking on our Stats Leader, DetroitLolcat. Should be a great match; hope to see you there!

He doesn't seem OP at all so far. The set I was most worried about is annoying, but by no means game breaking.

I still wish he'd gotten Endure though. That would've been fun. ;)

ElectivireRocks

Banned deucer.
First thoughts:
-Malaconda works remarkably well in rain teams too. A rapid spinner that resists common rain team weaknesses? Great!
-Tentacruel and Malaconda cover all of each other's weaknesses except flying, which is uncommon.
-Random things are starting to carry HP Bug just to deal with Malaconda. Specs Politoed does about 55-60%.
-Knock Off doesn't work. Harvest will still activate.
-Taunt completely cripples Malaconda. Pairing it with Espeon or Xatu is a good idea.

I noticed that Deoxys-D is allowed in Malaconda's playtest. Is this intentional?

Congrats for this "new reptile". It has the Adam and Eve's apple. Wonderful sprites and drawings
I would follow the next Cap.

Goddess Briyella

Banned deucer.
Sorry I missed the playtest :( but as far as I can tell it looks like a solid CAP mon that can tank things that other Dark/Grass types could only dream of tanking... this thing just really needs to watch out for U-turn ^_^

This looks to be a cool Pokemon, but I just found a horrible weakness: 4X to bug, which allows Scizor to kill him with ease.

Have to say the sprite looks incredible, and that tons of thought was put into it. I love how it's based on the genesis story with the serpent carrying the apple, great comcept. I also like the type and stats, other than a nasty 4x weakness to bug type moves, u-turn in particular, it can opperate as a great secial wall, being able to sponge hydro pumps from even the likes of keldeo, Along with being immune to psychic and getting a nice resistances to ghost, all these greatly help it's ability to spong any sort of special onslaught. Base 100 attack also means it can pick up it's weight on the offensive end, not being totally sceptible to taunt. Overall, easily one of my new favorite CAP pokemon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)