Pokémon XY General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we're counting Mewtwo & Mew as cats, then it'd be 2.
It would be three if we count Espeon as a cat and not a weird fox dog thing.

But cats that are known for being cats we have 3 2 stage Normal cat lines and a Dark
This all makes me wish that Water/Steel cat that Mr XY came up with was real. I'm even more skeptical about this Meowstic, but still

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I wonder why this is the "last" batch of info WPM has to post...

Anyway, Malimar worst pokémon ever, 4x weakness to U-Turn, no resistances besides the Psychic immunity, etc

At this point I'm convinced there is a new type and it's Sylveon's type. Since Pokemon Smash has been hinting about the effectiveness of various attacks against Sylveon hopefully they'll just spill the beans today with Masuda present.

What a massive troll if they reveal it's NORMAL. :D

Am I the only one here who thinks Meowstick is a terrible name

It's nearly as bad as Houndoomed from the Mr.XY "leaks"

@above: iirc Smash said that Sylveon is not the same type as any of the other Eeveelutions, or Eevee itself. Therefore it can't be Normal.

These new "leaks" seem fairly awful to me... a Psychic / Dark type seems pretty terrible competitively and some of the names are just completely uncreative. Please don't let them be true. Also, I can't wait for Smash to tell us nothing. It's going to build up momentum... and then "reveal" to us the new Pokemon Gogoat, Yancham, etc.

These new "leaks" seem fairly awful to me... a Psychic / Dark type seems pretty terrible competitively
Uncompetitive types or awful typings are nothing new to Pokemon.
See pretty much anything with a part fire or part bug type.

Or Ice types, in general.
and some of the names are just completely uncreative.
People said this about some of the 5th gen names (Throh, Sawk, Klinklang)
Also the 4th gen names (though which ones were REALLY hated I can't recall off the top of my head)

"uncreative" names are a time honored tradition in Pokemon

mm, none of the new names are this bad.
Just imagine the japanese names for some of these would-be Pokemon.
I mean, for reference:
Sawk = Dageki = "Strike"
Throh = Nageki = "Throw [also Strike]"
Klink = Gear
Klang = Gigear
Klinklang = Gigigear

(other notable names: Jolteon = Thunders, Vaporeon = Showers, Umbreon = "Blacky", clefairy is Pipi, etc)

Lets assume the thing about Belch is true, how could it be useful?

Belch: "The user must consume a held berry to perform it". This is kind of mysterious. It would probably be most competitively useful if using the move consumed the berry, the berry's effects are applied and the Pokemon can Belch repeatedly after that at least until switching out (knowing GF...it'll be one-shot like Nature's Gift so I'll take two out of three). That would allow a Pokemon to activate pinch berries at full health while dealing damage. So we'd have another alternative to repeated Sub-bing. A Pokemon with Unburden, a Leichi berry and Belch could deal damage and give itself the equivalent of a Shift Gear to set up a sweep in one turn. The mechanic would be even more interesting when combined with Harvest and a Starf/Salac/Leichi/Petaya berry. It'd become like a 120 BP Accupressure/+1 boost that's potentially blocked by Steels/Unnerve.

If it turns out this way it'll probably be one of those moves/strategies that only a select few Pokemon have the right combination of attributes to make good use of. Just as nothing runs a status orb or Facade unless it has another compelling reason to be statused thanks to Guts, Poison Heal, or Toxic Boost.

(other notable names: Jolteon = Thunders, Vaporeon = Showers, Umbreon = "Blacky", clefairy is Pipi, etc)
Hehe, the Eeveelution names have always been endearingly awful in Japanese. "Blacky" might be the most beautifully misguided name for a pokemon ever.

On page 36 someone put up a live stream link for Pokemon Smash. It starts in 3 minutes at 5:30 Central Time, so hit that up y'all!

Inkay > Inky > Ink (What kinds of animals use ink?)

Malimar > M(Kalimar) > Mal(Kalimar) > Malicious Kalimari?

I bet it's a squid, although a squid ought to be Water...

Every names are bad when they first came out.
Remember people lol'd at LIEpard, CoFAGrigus, BEM, LGM, GoLurk and the others?

EDIT:
Inkay: Aye-aye
Malimar: Lemur
C'mon guys that's easy lol.

Just imagine the japanese names for some of these would-be Pokemon.
I mean, for reference:
Sawk = Dageki = "Strike"
Throh = Nageki = "Throw [also Strike]"
Klink = Gear
Klang = Gigear
Klinklang = Gigigear

Some of my favourites are:
Haunter=Ghost
Charmeleon= Lizardo (Lizard)
Vileplume= Ruffresia (Rafflesia)
Gloom= Kusaihana (Stinking Flower)
Oddish= Nazonokusa (Enigmatic Grass)
Belossom= Kireihana(Pretty Flower)

But the best of all is:
Wynaut= Sohnano- Comes from expression sō na no, which means "really?
and Wobbuffet= Sonans- Comes from expression sō na-n-su, meaning "That's the way it is"
So put together, they mean:
"Really?"
"That's the way it is"

Inkay > Inky > Ink (What kinds of animals use ink?)

Malimar > M(Kalimar) > Mal(Kalimar) > Malicious Kalimari?

I bet it's a squid, although a squid ought to be Water...
Eexcellent! I also thought Inkay strongly suggested 'ink' (duh) but I couldn't make sense of Malimar. Malicious Calamari is a great guess (lol).

Here's another point: Octupi and Squid are Cephalopods (literally head-foot) = turning 3DS upside down to evolve and the dual typing of opposites (Psychic/Dark)?

I don't think being inspired by a marine creature necessarily implies Water-type (see Stunfisk and Eelektross) so you could very well be on the right track.

I personally didn't like Sawk and Throw, only because the puns are too obvious.

I would have preferred it if the Japanese names were kept for the international release, because that way they sounded "cool" but were just pretty much just puns if someone was curious enough to look them up.

Eexcellent! I also thought Inkay strongly suggested 'ink' (duh) but I couldn't make sense of Malimar. Malicious Calamari is a great guess (lol).

Here's another point: Octupi and Squid are Cephalopods (literally head-foot) = turning 3DS upside down to evolve?

I don't think being inspired by a marine creature necessarily implies Water-type (see Stunfisk and Eelektross) so you could very well be on the right track.
Stunfisk irritates me...it seemed like lost potential, especially after I read (on bulbapedia) that it was originally going to be an angler fish. I know that Chinchou and Lanturn were supposed to be "deep sea animals", but Lanturn looks more like a glowing dolphin. I wanted a beastly, toothy ambush predator...

I could see squids being Psychic, but I would rather have them be Psychic/Water or Water/Psychic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 9)