Pokémon XY General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mmm... Are the cities actually bigger or does it only looks that way due to 3D a we're used to the smaller scale of previous games?

Mmm... Are the cities actually bigger or does it only looks that way due to 3D a we're used to the smaller scale of previous games?
This city is definitely bigger

What little we've seen of a few other areas seems roughly in line with older games

They certainly will feel bigger atleast since it's now 3D and height will now make the world feel more immersive and big. You'll get a more true perspective on how big the cities actually are.

Parting Shot will be an amazing move, I imagine a great support move pool in:

Rapid Spin
Parting Shot
Spikes
Magic Coat/Taunt

Or

Parting Shot
Reflect
Light Screen
Magic Coat/Taunt/Blue Flare

Katakiri

Listen, Brendan...
is a Researcher Alumnus
One thing about Parting Shot is that we don't know if you switch out after the stat decrease is blocked by Sub, Protect, or Clear Body. I mean U-turn and Volt Switch have to fully connect and do damage before the switch occurs so it would probably work similarly, but just blocked as a status moves. I'm personally hoping that it can be blocked since that would make stuff like Clear Body Tentacruel a counter to Pokemon that rely on the move like the sets posted above or fighting-types that lack coverage but think parting shot can make up for it. If sub blocks it as well then that opens up a whole world of stops.

One thing about Parting Shot is that we don't know if you switch out after the stat decrease is blocked by Sub, Protect, or Clear Body. I mean U-turn and Volt Switch have to fully connect and do damage before the switch occurs so it would probably work similarly, but just blocked as a status moves. I'm personally hoping that it can be blocked since that would make stuff like Clear Body Tentacruel a counter to Pokemon that rely on the move like the sets posted above or fighting-types that lack coverage but think parting shot can make up for it. If sub blocks it as well then that opens up a whole world of stops.
Maybe Parting Shot is one of those rare moves that evades Protect.

I agree that Lumiose appears to be quite large as Pokemon towns go.
There are probably about 8-10 spokes (estimated from Map here: http://www.serebii.net/karos.jpg ) each about as long as shown here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMnwB6neGlY&t=0m10s
There also seems to be a circular road around the entire outer perimeter and another circular road halfway-in that passes through some regularly spaced park areas.
The trainer seems to be running on one of those here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMnwB6neGlY&t=0m16s

Hopefully they'll fill it with interesting places to enter.

Since you guys seem to be discussing how big Lumiose City is I thought I'd do some analyzing of the Kalos map in photoshop.

Lumiose City seems to be somewhat circular, so for the sake of keeping things simple let's just assume that Lumiose City is a perfect circle. Horizontally, the diameter of Lumiose City is 140 pixels, making the radius 70 pixels. A perfect circle with a radius of 70 has an area of about 15,393.8 pixels squared, giving us a rough estimate of what amount of space Lumiose City takes up.

The size of the entire map (Everything; including water, cliffs, etc) is 1630 pixels wide and 1068 pixels high, making the area of the entire Kalos region 1,740,840 pixels squared.

Lumiose city, if the map is drawn to scale, is about 0.8% of the entire Kalos region.

This one's gonna be big.

I kind of doubt that landmarks are up to scale with the map.
Me too, but regardless of the scale's accuracy, based on the trailers, this city will be gigantic. Good thing too, because it seems that with it they are using the 3DS to its potential.

Perhaps we shall see some more interesting big landmarks with the 3DS' higher power (relative to the DS).

Smash is recorded months in advance
Sometimes recaps like this fall closer, sometimes not
Months?????? I was thinking maybe a week or two but months??????
So they know some stuff that we don't.
Well that's just Perfect.
And we really could use a large city, so Lumiose is good.

Months?????? I was thinking maybe a week or two but months??????
So they know some stuff that we don't.
Well that's just Perfect.
And we really could use a large city, so Lumiose is good.
Well maybe not like 6 months, probably more like 2 or so.
Some segments (like last week's eevee & friend segment with the eevee 3ds xl) are probably recorded more recently, but the studio segments and junk are definitely. I distinctly remember masuda tweeting about finishing recording smash (not for XY, I think it was sometime last year) but it was a month or so before he actually showed up.

And....of course they would know stuff we don't? They kind of would have to, even if it was just weeks in advance

Some segments (like last week's eevee & friend segment with the eevee 3ds xl) are probably recorded more recently, but the studio segments and junk are definitely. I distinctly remember masuda tweeting about finishing recording smash (not for XY, I think it was sometime last year) but it was a month or so before he actually showed up.

And....of course they would know stuff we don't? They kind of would have to, even if it was just weeks in advance
meh. i guess.

anyway, hopefully we reached that point where they reveal pokemon every month, if that's even going to happen again

meh. i guess.

anyway, hopefully we reached that point where they reveal pokemon every month, if that's even going to happen again
They released a handful of Pokemon in May, June and July the last two generations, so I'd be reasonably hopeful to see either the early vermin or the Pikaclone next month.

Since you guys seem to be discussing how big Lumiose City is I thought I'd do some analyzing of the Kalos map in photoshop.

Lumiose City seems to be somewhat circular, so for the sake of keeping things simple let's just assume that Lumiose City is a perfect circle. Horizontally, the diameter of Lumiose City is 140 pixels, making the radius 70 pixels. A perfect circle with a radius of 70 has an area of about 15,393.8 pixels squared, giving us a rough estimate of what amount of space Lumiose City takes up.

The size of the entire map (Everything; including water, cliffs, etc) is 1630 pixels wide and 1068 pixels high, making the area of the entire Kalos region 1,740,840 pixels squared.

Lumiose city, if the map is drawn to scale, is about 0.8% of the entire Kalos region.

This one's gonna be big.
i commend you for doing that math as i was actually thinking of doing that.
thank god i do not have to now. And the map could actually be fairly close to scale, as in the trailer, it is very big, so i wouldn't doubt the scale being very close to accurate.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!

Back then in Gen 5, Shoko also accidentally leaked that Zekrom was an electric type on her blog.
She quickly deleted it, but some fans had saw it already.

the central thing is the not!Eiffel Tower
it doesn't seem to be a gym from what we've seen of it

e: I bet we climb it like we did the Radio Tower (to combat evil team who've taken it over) or the Lighthouse (to find a gym leader)
Or it's the next black tower. Gosh, I loved the black tower.
EDIT: Did someone see the big castle with the stairs leading to a cave before it?
E4 location confirmed. The best thing is, it's relatively close to the most likely starting town (nothernmost town), so we will get non-linearity.

Or it's the next black tower. Gosh, I loved the black tower.
EDIT: Did someone see the big castle with the stairs leading to a cave before it?
E4 location confirmed. The best thing is, it's relatively close to the most likely starting town (nothernmost town), so we will get non-linearity.
When was this confirmed? I never saw any confirmation on this.

Please do not say things are "confirmed" if they aren't explicitly stated by Pokemon itself or a credible site. With all the rumors floating around and the discussion here, this gets VERY confusing and hard to keep track of what is real. Don't make assumptions based off something you THINK is true.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I actually think the most likely starter town is the southernmost one. All the gameplay videos and images showing outdoor scenes are either in Lumiose City or in the routes/cities directly south of it.

When was this confirmed? I never saw any confirmation on this.

Please do not say things are "confirmed" if they aren't explicitly stated by Pokemon itself or a credible site. With all the rumors floating around and the discussion here, this gets VERY confusing and hard to keep track of what is real. Don't make assumptions based off something you THINK is true.
its an expression. Calm down dude

I think lumiose will have a gym leader for sure. Itd be cool if you started there and were free to approach the gyms anyway you want. Black and white were too linear. I hope lumiose has lots of activities too, unlike Castelia which had barely anything to do after the main game

its an expression. Calm down dude

I think lumiose will have a gym leader for sure. Itd be cool if you started there and were free to approach the gyms anyway you want. Black and white were too linear. I hope lumiose has lots of activities too, unlike Castelia which had barely anything to do after the main game
No, Shockwave is justifiably upset. It's annoying to see comments that say an observation of something is confirmed, like the location of the Elite Four, when in reality, we don't know if they reside high up in the mountain on the northeast part of the map, or anywhere else for that matter. Saying it's confirmed is also likely to confuse people who don't read all the news. So yeah, don't do it.

I'm convinced that well see our third/fourth gym leader in Lumiose, since we almost always have if you don't count Mauville/Fallorbor, both of which weren't particularily large, yet contained one of the two gym leaders.

I gotta agree, that area looks very E4ish. We got a cave leading to a series of steps. I think that's the badge checking area but then again it does look a lot like the Unova Victory Road. After that there's what looks like a very long cave (or maybe a hike) which I think would be Victory Road. The fact that the castle has so many towers kind of makes me think Battle Frontier but I guess it could just be so fancy because it's French.

And yeah, that map gives me a lot of hope for non-linearity. I guess Game Freak learned their lesson from the backlash against Unova.

No, Shockwave is justifiably upset. It's annoying to see comments that say an observation of something is confirmed, like the location of the Elite Four, when in reality, we don't know if they reside high up in the mountain on the northeast part of the map, or anywhere else for that matter. Saying it's confirmed is also likely to confuse people who don't read all the news. So yeah, don't do it.
While I can see your point, usually you can use logic to determine what is real and not, or just not believe anything 100% until gamefreak confirms it.

Hopefully we got some new info soon. I fear we might have to wait a long time again for new info, like we had to wait after mewtwos forme was unvieled

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 6)