Gen V 1 vs 1 Metagame

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking forward to usage stats of this metagame, they will be very interesting. I really like this tier because if I have an extra 5 minutes or whatever, I can ladder a couple of games really quick.

I've gotten around 1700 with a combinations of Dragonite, Deoxys-D, and Whimsicott. The latter is absolutely a beast in 1v1s.

Cloyster seems to be really anti-meta, dominated Whimsicott and Dragonite, two of the most common threats I've seen.

You guys are forgetting the Best 1v1 Team Ever:

http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/1v1-32682054

My Cousin Vinny (Starly) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Keen Eye
Level: 25
Hardy Nature
IVs: 0 HP / 0 Atk / 0 Def / 0 SAtk / 0 SDef / 0 Spd
- Endeavor
- Quick Attack
- Protect
- Return

If you do manage to win the battle, it's simply because your opponent doesn't expect you to try anything this stupid.

You guys are forgetting the Best 1v1 Team Ever:

http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/1v1-32682054

My Cousin Vinny (Starly) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Keen Eye
Level: 25
Hardy Nature
IVs: 0 HP / 0 Atk / 0 Def / 0 SAtk / 0 SDef / 0 Spd
- Endeavor
- Quick Attack
- Protect
- Return

If you do manage to win the battle, it's simply because your opponent doesn't expect you to try anything this stupid.
Give it 252 Attack EVs and a Lonely nature.

My favourite set so far (Warning: loses against multi-hit users like Cloyster or Marowak and Mold Breaker users):

Magneto the Invincible (Magnemite) @ Berry Juice
Trait: Sturdy
Level: 7
EVs: 252 Spd
IVs: 9 HP
- Recycle
- Toxic
- Protect
- Swagger

Give it 252 Attack EVs and a Lonely nature.

My favourite set so far (Warning: loses against multi-hit users like Cloyster or Marowak and Mold Breaker users):

Magneto the Invincible (Magnemite) @ Berry Juice
Level: 7
EVs: 252 Spd
IVs: 9 HP
- Recycle
- Toxic
- Protect
- Swagger
Oh, man. That's amazing.

Chinchou

Banned deucer.
OINKERS (Swinub) @ Sash
Trait: Thick Fat
Level: 11
EV's: None
IVs: 0 Everything
- Endeavor
- Protect
- Ice Shard
- Toxic

BOW BEFORE IT

Blissey (F) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SDef / 252 SAtk
Mild Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Def
- Counter
- Hyper Beam
- Shadow Ball / Ice Beam
- Softboiled

Counterbliss is very nice - if the opponent has no Sash as well. Counter can also let Blissey move after Endeavor (no chance for F.E.A.R) Hyper Beam and Shadow Ball are great moves.

Shadow Ball can OHKO Lati@s, 2HKO Gengar and may lower the Special Defense for a Final Hyper Beam on other Pokémon. Ice Beam would hit Dragons better (however these are killed with a Counter), Flamethrower would probably an idea, but I did the best experience with Shadow Ball. Ice Beam Blissey has big problems with Shedinja and is therefore not recommended.

I've been liking this set:

Togekiss (M) @ Lum Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Air Slash
- Roost
- Nasty Plot / Heal Bell / Aura Sphere

Togekiss is extremely bulky and can paraflinch almost anything out there. I haven't yet figured out what the ideal move for the last slot is. With Heal Bell you can stop things with Toxic, Nasty Plot allows you to break through bulkier things, and Aura Sphere lets you beat Aggron and makes your matchup with Mamoswine much more advantageous.

KM

slayification
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Something I've seen quite a lot recently (which was very annoying) is the following Smeargle set. It might possibly be considered for a ban, as only Multi-Hit users faster than it or Lum users with both a move to OHKO smeargle and priority (or trick scarfers I suppose) can really effectively deal with it.

The set:

Smeargle @ Focus Sash/Lum Berry
Trait: Own Tempo
EVs: 252 HP/4 SpD/252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Spore
- Imprison
- Transform
- ?? (Magic Coat? ExtremeSpeed? Softboiled? I've never actually seen the 4th move used.)

The concept is fairly simple. Spore T1, Imprison on the guaranteed turn of sleep, and then Transform. The opponent can no longer use any of its moves and will be forced to struggle each turn.

A set I personally have had some success with is the following Chansey set, which manages to deal with both the all-out attackers of the tier as well as the low level annoyances.

Chansey @ Eviolite
EVs: 118 HP/252 Def/148 SpD
Bold Nature
- Toxic
- Softboiled
- Counter
- DoubleSlap

Pretty self explanatory. EVs are to be able to always live a Giga Impact from a jolly band slaking. Serene Grace because all of her abilities are basically useless in a 1v1 setting, so ._.'. Toxic is for stalling everything that can't OHKO Chansey (read: everything), Softboiled is for reliable recovery, and DoubleSlap is for the lovely level 1 mons that like to inhabit the tier.

The main things that it loses to are that fucking annoying Smeargle set, something like a Conkledurr (which I don't see all too often), and perhaps Whimsicott if it isn't the level 1 variant.

I'd be curious to see what you guys think about these sets.

Skarmory @ Lum Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Spe / 4 Atk
IVs: 0 Def / 0 SpD
Jolly Nature (+Spe,-SpA)
- Counter
- Mirror Coat
- Taunt
- Brave Bird

Uses CounterCoat with its ability Sturdy to deal great damage to almost every Pokémon. Taunt blocks statuses and walls, while Brave Bird deals some damage. Lum Berry for sleep users.

Skarmory @ Lum Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Spe / 4 Atk
IVs: 0 Def / 0 SpD
Jolly Nature (+Spe,-SpA)
- Counter
- Mirror Coat
- Taunt
- Brave Bird

Uses CounterCoat with its ability Sturdy to deal great damage to almost every Pokémon. Taunt blocks statuses and walls, while Brave Bird deals some damage. Lum Berry for sleep users.
Custap Berry and Drill Peck would beat opposing sash users, lvl 1s, etc. I think you speed tie the fastest perfect accuracy sleeper, so sleeping skarm will alway be a gamble. Plus they will just put you to sleep after lum is used anyway.

This Keldeo set is working for me:
Keldeo @ Choice Scarf
252+ Speed, 252 Special Attack, 4 HP, -Attack
Secret Sword
Hydro Pump
HP Ice
Aqua Jet

Hydro Pump and Secret Sword have amazing coverage, HP Ice takes D-nite, Mence, Haxo etc. Aqua Jet finishes off all the F.E.A.R's (Except lv.1 Aron with Sturdy and Shell Bell!). Choice Scarf and Speed both go in this set to ensure going first against anything not using higher priority.

Genesect needs banning, really, it is arguably even more powerful in 1v1 thanks to Download enabling it to OHKO basically any pokemon, and its lack of weaknesses combines with great special prowess making it very hard to kill.

Lol @ everyone immediately rushing to the thread and demanding bans...the metagame is barely a month old and you want to ban everything left and right? This meta needs time to evolve. How can you see what is truly banworthy if you give the meta no time to adapt? Try learning counter strategies before immediately demanding bans. For example, Taunt completely removes that Smeargle set. I've honestly found Taunt to be a very lacking part of the 1v1 meta (anecdotally), and I think it needs more consideration as a counter to these "super annoying" sets which almost entirely revolve around status move gimmicks.

Speaking of gimmicks, has anyone tried good old Sub Gengar? It's fast enough to sub down enemy Sleepers, is immune to toxic stallers and Counter, as well as Doubleslap and Extremespeed/Mach Punch, and can even try to get fast KOs with its coverage moves with aid of a sash.

I'm finding this set really surprisingly useful for something that has recently descended to NU:

Jynx @ Focus sash

252 SpAtk / 4 SpDef / 252 Spe

-Fake out
-Lovely kiss
-Ice beam
-Focus blast

Beats Cloyster, careless Whimsicott that don't protect turn 1 and allow me to break their focus sash, and Mamoswine for starters, with fake out (to ignore focus sash) and a super-effective attack. Plus amongst all sleepers it has maybe the best compromise between speed and reliability of sleeping move.

Lyto

Experience Tranquility
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I've been trying out this set recently and it seems to work pretty well:

Bisharp @ Focus Sash
Trait: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk
IVs: 0 Spe
Brave Nature
- Protect
- Metal Burst
- Taunt
- Sucker Punch

Protect is for Fake Out users, Taunt is for pokemon such as Blissey, Metal Burst acts as a pseudo-CounterCoat, and Sucker Punch is priority for opposing Sashers, or to attack when MB is not required.
Brave nature and 0 Speed IVs is due to MB not having negative priority, so they are needed to help go last.
I've found the main counters to the set to be ESpeeders (along with other fast sash-priority users) and fast Spore users, but aside from when facing those, it works well.

Some sets I've been using to some success:

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 88 SDef / 168 Def
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Sleep Talk
- Rest
- Ice Fang

EV'd to avoid 2hkos (can't remember what specifically, did the calcs a few days ago). Rest + sleep talk beats toxic stalling and psycho shift burn. Ice fang to get some hax during bad matchups and to hit levitate / flying mons.

Scizor @ Lum Berry
Trait: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 HP / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Superpower
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite
- Knock Off

Pretty standard. Some proper EVing will help increase its abilitiy to survive. Knock off is for all those assclowns who want to bring in shit like FEAR aron etc.

Took me a while to post in this thread but w/e.

HARIYAMA. HARI MOTHERFUCKING YAMA.
Seriously this thing is so good, one of the only things that beats it reliably is whimsicott, as it can stall out your toxic orb and slowly kill you. Hariyama got me to #1 on the ladder not once, not twice, but 3 times! It also 100% counters the supposedly broken genesect. The set was already provided earlier in the thread, so I'm not going to bother posting it here too. Its just so good, go use it, etc etc.

[/rant]

How about...

Stallbusters! (Espeon) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd /4 SpD
Modest / Timid Nature
- Psychic / Psyshock
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Quick Attack / Psyshock / Psychic

This is amazing. It can do well in many situations. It shuts down Whimsicott and Blissey (Depending on if you have Psyschock or not). It has Sash so it can retaliate back with an attack, and maybe activate their Sash. Shadow Ball and HP Fire are crucial. Shadow Ball hits some common Ghosts like Gengar that try to get some status on you (That seems popular because it can Status, then attack, rather than using Sableye). HP Fire hits Jirachi and Metagross, two other common ones. I use Quick attack in this situation: Espeon vs Cloyster. I knock it to Sash with Psychic, and it sets up Shell Smash. Normally it would outspeed and KO with Icicle Spear, but I outspeed and kill with Quick Attack. I would use special priority if it had it, though. Works pretty well!

Level 51

the orchestra plays the prettiest themes
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
Abomasnow hasn't featured very prominently in this thread so I thought I'd post it since it's been quite good from experience:

Abomasnow @ Focus Sash
Trait: Snow Warning
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd /4 Atk
Mild/Rash Nature
- Blizzard
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Ice Shard / Protect / Focus Blast

As you can probably see, Abomasnow struggles with some 4MSS. Happily, it does manage to beat a number of threats, including but not limited to Dragonite, Garchomp, Latios, Latias, Gastrodon, Genesect, Scizor, Breloom (if it wakes up fast enough), Gliscor, and Magnezone (sometimes??). If you run Protect, it has a 50% chance of beating Guts users like Hariyama thanks to Toxic Orb + Hail residual damage.

Unfortunately, Abomasnow does auto-lose to Jirachi, Metagross, and more or less anything remotely bulky which it can't hit SE with its STAB, and even stuff it hits SE like Cloyster (if you're lucky and the opponent is dumb you have a 12.5% chance of surviving an initial Rock Blast) and Keldeo. Other (slower) weather inducers also wreck the unfortunate tree.

Isn't 1v1 kind of just a rock/paper/scissors contest?

You have level 1 Cottonee as the Rock. Focus Sash + Leech Seed + Protect gives it a win against all pokemon that aren't grass type or have multi-hit moves.

Grass pokemon/pokemon with multi-hit moves are the Paper. They destroy Cottonee but are generally of average power (aside from Breloom).

Everything else is the scissors. They will usually be able to kill the mediocre grass types but lose to Cottonee.

Is there something I'm missing?

Isn't 1v1 kind of just a rock/paper/scissors contest?

You have level 1 Cottonee as the Rock. Focus Sash + Leech Seed + Protect gives it a win against all pokemon that aren't grass type or have multi-hit moves.

Grass pokemon/pokemon with multi-hit moves are the Paper. They destroy Cottonee but are generally of average power (aside from Breloom).

Everything else is the scissors. They will usually be able to kill the mediocre grass types but lose to Cottonee.

Is there something I'm missing?
Magnemite beats EVERYTHING.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)