Pokémon XY General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
This was mentioned earlier but not discussed upon much:

There was a move used in the sky battle identical to chespin's attack in the first trailer. Seeing as it was used by birds, it's almost certainly Aerial Ace, confirming what was already mostly expected.

So, Chespin for Grass/Flying anyone?
At this point, I don't think there's any reason to believe the rumors are false. We're probably looking at Fire/Psychic, Grass/Dark, Water/Fighting.

For reference:
http://pokebeach.com/2013/05/supposed-pokemon-x-and-y-insider-information

Stuff I'm wondering about horde battles:
1- Would repel, well repel them? I'd assume yes
2- Can you choose the target? if so do they ALL attack at once?
3- Can you catch one of them (or more?). Like say one of them is shiny, or you simply want to catch one of them.
EDIT:
4- Their encounter rate.

If shiny charm is present in XY (not via migration since it can't be held) then battling hordes would be a good way to hunt for shinies non RNG/Masuda style (assuming you can target/catch one of them after all other faint of course).

So I missed the Nintendo Direct by about 11 hours, so I didn’t know about any of this until about 7:40-something Central time. It took me halfway through the roundtable to read everything that everyone was going on about, so I decided to mostly lurk until the thread quieted down. Good lord, I couldn’t look away for five minutes without another half of a page being filled. In the spirit of being the most active cover legendary you’ve ever seen, I’d like to post my thoughts on the majority of everything from today.
First off is the fact that Fairy type is definite. What excites me most about it is the obvious theming quirks shown to us right off the bat. There’s a moon-based attack and a wind-based attack, which plays into a few different aspects of fairies as a whole. The connection to both the moon and wind implies that Fairy-types are sort of sylph-like in their powers, since two forms of elemental energy were harnessed into different attacks; a celestial attack and an air attack. Fairy-types may come with a very diverse range of element-inspired techniques specific to their attribute. Also, the ability to harness the moon’s power makes me think of the “dancing under the moonlight” western motif plus different nighttime festivals that are centered around/pay homage to spirits or mythical creatures. To be even more personal, Fairy-types late introduction to the franchise feels like the discovery of magic and its uses between different early cultures on earth. The first couple of choices made in retrofitting Fairy as a type for old Pokemon are…well…I wasn’t expecting Marrill or Jigglypuff to become dual-typed (I really wasn’t expecting the choice to retrofit Marill at all), but if they think it will add balance to gameplay, then so be it. I suppose that helps explain what marrills are doing in the Kalos region, though! Overall, the new type seems well thought out stylistically. I don’t think I’m at liberty to speak from a technical standpoint, since all we know for sure is that it’s super effective against Dragon-types (I cannot wait for the first Fairy-type CAP pokemon, though :DDD)

So the new Pokemon we’ve seen so far mostly match up with what I was expecting to see this month.
-Vivillon is gorgeous, and the bit about the wings makes me think that its wing patterns may draw their design and layout from the same calculation that determines the location of Spinda’s face-spots.
-I want to say that Noivern is based partially on a Flying fox because of its implied size and that it looks a bit batlike, but it’s like they’re trying to makr it obvious by its name and typing that it’s a wyvern. Maybe it evolves from a smaller bat Pokemon…Also, Noivern is another Pokemon with a fabulous ruffled collar-cape? I better watch my back, I don’t want to get shown up by another beautiful Pokemon that isn’t even a legendary. >_>
-Skrelp is kinda goofy-looking and ex-unique, but I get the feeling that it’ll evolve into a seadragon that one-ups Kingdra’s design.
-I don’t have a very strong opinion on Clauncher. I’m fascinated that, after months of people talking about a pistolshrimpmon, it looks like we’re getting one, but it’s just a Water-Pokemon for now :\
-I like the way Talonflame looks, since falcons are amazing beasts who are the kings of dive-bombing, and it seemed obvious that Fletchling would become a Fire/Flying, though it’s a bit surprising that its primary attribute changes. That much is just a nitpick, though. A part of me is hoping that Talonflame can evolve further into something even more amazing so that Fletchling’s evolutionary line doesn’t end on a painfully awkward note when it comes to the naming.
-Also, it was reported that there’s a little Fire-type catlike Pokemon that wasn’t named. It looks like they only used new Pokemon that they intended on revealing this month, so this may be something else entirely new!
Either way, since the most of them are on the English website, it looks like we’ll be seeing these five/six (oh please give me two more surprise Pokemon, I’m hungry for your information, Game Freak) in a spread in Corocoro over the next few days, which will be fun on its own ^_^

The new technique Boomburst is like a Normal-type Earthquake or Surf, by the looks of it. I’m not going to try and break down its base power, though. I’m just loving that there’s another sound-based attack out there.

I used Hyper Beam in the trailer, just in case anyone was feeling like they needed clarification. Xerneas may have been using a new attack, the sound effect didn’t sound like anything I recognize.

In the trainer roster for the PSS, you can see how different two players can make their characters thanks to customization. I really want to see who’s going to make it a mission to collect the entire wardrobe now.

The notion that you can step on Pokemon makes the games just another degree livelier. I’m happy that they came up with that bit of text, but I wonder if it means anything special?

It’s good to know that Gogoat is only the figurehead of Pokemon mounts, but I still want to know where it’s acceptable to ride a Pokemon, if your mount can run and whether or not you’re riding your own Pokemon or a rental.

Speaking of how you use Pokemon, sky battles also seem like a face value addition. Since having multiple Pokemon doesn’t play a role in this battle-variant and battling while surfing or diving never made a difference in how you fought, I’d have to see what new rules make this so special other than enriching the experience of commanding your Pokemon in an intense battle

At first glance, I thought the pokemon hoard was meant to be a step up from Pokemon swarms, but it looks more like a step up from shaking grass. It looks like there will be six Pokemon on the field, so maybe targeting rules in triple battles carry over? It looks like the middle three Pokemon could be targeted normally by techniques that would hit multiple opponents in triple battles, and the two Pokemon on the ends of the hoardwould take up the spaces of where your first and third Pokemon would be in a triple battle, so techniques like Surf may be likely to hit all of the opposing Pokemon, while maybe Swift can pick out a row of three withing the hoard? This much is just speculation, though. They may have completely new targeting rules altogether for hoard battles.

Finally, there’re only two points from the Q&A that I care about; the location question and the movement one. I already had a feeling by the new region map alone that they wanted the games to look like they’re an art project. That enforced face-value helps make it easier for new players to pick up, so that the truckload of mechanics in the games won’t scare off the newest cycle of their primary market. Second, our movement has been increased to 8-directional movement. Another nitpick, but I’m glad that this has been confirmed.

Good lord, we got a lot. Five Pokemon, two or three trailers and a bunch of other great stuff too!
Thank you ^_^

I like Talonflame's artwork (I think the still image Pokebeach had was just an awkward shot) but that name is really bad, isn't it?

breh

強いだね
This was mentioned earlier but not discussed upon much:

There was a move used in the sky battle identical to chespin's attack in the first trailer. Seeing as it was used by birds, it's almost certainly Aerial Ace, confirming what was already mostly expected.

So, Chespin for Grass/Flying anyone?
Remember how Oshawott learning Fury Cutter and Revenge made it a Water / Bug / Fighting type?

canno

formerly The Reptile
So since Maril is now Fairy / Water, maybe they'll change Azurill's typing to pure Fairy? I mean, I'm pretty sure it being a Normal-type was a fluke to begin with, and this seems like a good time to fix that fluke.

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Number of pokemon learning aerial ace by level up not flying: one (herracross)

Number of pokemon learning fury cutter by level up not bug: 14

Number of pokemon learning revenge by level up not fighting: 14

So the odds are quite a bit higher with aerial ace, I would say, though the pokebeach rumors have been true with everything else.

I like Talonflame's artwork (I think the still image Pokebeach had was just an awkward shot) but that name is really bad, isn't it?
worst name ever lol. sounds like a name from one of those warriors books.

I suppose that helps explain what marrills are doing in the Kalos region, though!
pssh. dude, you know just as well as i do that pokes can be in more than one region just as much as spiders aren't limited to just one place [to the chagrin of many people everywhere - not me, though! i really like spiders, ehehe... though i must say i would not appreciate a camel spider latching on my face]

and goddammit yveltal you live in kalos. why do you not know these things? or do you just like live under a rock and play video games with those freakishly large freddy kreuger hands of yours

[also where is your saucy french accent honhonhon]

So I missed the Nintendo Direct by about 11 hours, so I didn’t know about any of this until about 7:40-something Central time. It took me halfway through the roundtable to read everything that everyone was going on about, so I decided to mostly lurk until the thread quieted down. Good lord, I couldn’t look away for five minutes without another half of a page being filled. In the spirit of being the most active cover legendary you’ve ever seen, I’d like to post my thoughts on the majority of everything from today.
First off is the fact that Fairy type is definite. What excites me most about it is the obvious theming quirks shown to us right off the bat. There’s a moon-based attack and a wind-based attack, which plays into a few different aspects of fairies as a whole. The connection to both the moon and wind implies that Fairy-types are sort of sylph-like in their powers, since two forms of elemental energy were harnessed into different attacks; a celestial attack and an air attack. Fairy-types may come with a very diverse range of element-inspired techniques specific to their attribute. Also, the ability to harness the moon’s power makes me think of the “dancing under the moonlight” western motif plus different nighttime festivals that are centered around/pay homage to spirits or mythical creatures. To be even more personal, Fairy-types late introduction to the franchise feels like the discovery of magic and its uses between different early cultures on earth. The first couple of choices made in retrofitting Fairy as a type for old Pokemon are…well…I wasn’t expecting Marrill or Jigglypuff to become dual-typed (I really wasn’t expecting the choice to retrofit Marill at all), but if they think it will add balance to gameplay, then so be it. I suppose that helps explain what marrills are doing in the Kalos region, though! Overall, the new type seems well thought out stylistically. I don’t think I’m at liberty to speak from a technical standpoint, since all we know for sure is that it’s super effective against Dragon-types (I cannot wait for the first Fairy-type CAP pokemon, though :DDD)

So the new Pokemon we’ve seen so far mostly match up with what I was expecting to see this month.
-Vivillon is gorgeous, and the bit about the wings makes me think that its wing patterns may draw their design and layout from the same calculation that determines the location of Spinda’s face-spots.
-I want to say that Noivern is based partially on a Flying fox because of its implied size and that it looks a bit batlike, but it’s like they’re trying to makr it obvious by its name and typing that it’s a wyvern. Maybe it evolves from a smaller bat Pokemon…Also, Noivern is another Pokemon with a fabulous ruffled collar-cape? I better watch my back, I don’t want to get shown up by another beautiful Pokemon that isn’t even a legendary. >_>
-Skrelp is kinda goofy-looking and ex-unique, but I get the feeling that it’ll evolve into a seadragon that one-ups Kingdra’s design.
-I don’t have a very strong opinion on Clauncher. I’m fascinated that, after months of people talking about a pistolshrimpmon, it looks like we’re getting one, but it’s just a Water-Pokemon for now :\
-I like the way Talonflame looks, since falcons are amazing beasts who are the kings of dive-bombing, and it seemed obvious that Fletchling would become a Fire/Flying, though it’s a bit surprising that its primary attribute changes. That much is just a nitpick, though. A part of me is hoping that Talonflame can evolve further into something even more amazing so that Fletchling’s evolutionary line doesn’t end on a painfully awkward note when it comes to the naming.
-Also, it was reported that there’s a little Fire-type catlike Pokemon that wasn’t named. It looks like they only used new Pokemon that they intended on revealing this month, so this may be something else entirely new!
Either way, since the most of them are on the English website, it looks like we’ll be seeing these five/six (oh please give me two more surprise Pokemon, I’m hungry for your information, Game Freak) in a spread in Corocoro over the next few days, which will be fun on its own ^_^

The new technique Boomburst is like a Normal-type Earthquake or Surf, by the looks of it. I’m not going to try and break down its base power, though. I’m just loving that there’s another sound-based attack out there.

I used Hyper Beam in the trailer, just in case anyone was feeling like they needed clarification. Xerneas may have been using a new attack, the sound effect didn’t sound like anything I recognize.

In the trainer roster for the PSS, you can see how different two players can make their characters thanks to customization. I really want to see who’s going to make it a mission to collect the entire wardrobe now.

The notion that you can step on Pokemon makes the games just another degree livelier. I’m happy that they came up with that bit of text, but I wonder if it means anything special?

It’s good to know that Gogoat is only the figurehead of Pokemon mounts, but I still want to know where it’s acceptable to ride a Pokemon, if your mount can run and whether or not you’re riding your own Pokemon or a rental.

Speaking of how you use Pokemon, sky battles also seem like a face value addition. Since having multiple Pokemon doesn’t play a role in this battle-variant and battling while surfing or diving never made a difference in how you fought, I’d have to see what new rules make this so special other than enriching the experience of commanding your Pokemon in an intense battle

At first glance, I thought the pokemon hoard was meant to be a step up from Pokemon swarms, but it looks more like a step up from shaking grass. It looks like there will be six Pokemon on the field, so maybe targeting rules in triple battles carry over? It looks like the middle three Pokemon could be targeted normally by techniques that would hit multiple opponents in triple battles, and the two Pokemon on the ends of the hoardwould take up the spaces of where your first and third Pokemon would be in a triple battle, so techniques like Surf may be likely to hit all of the opposing Pokemon, while maybe Swift can pick out a row of three withing the hoard? This much is just speculation, though. They may have completely new targeting rules altogether for hoard battles.

Finally, there’re only two points from the Q&A that I care about; the location question and the movement one. I already had a feeling by the new region map alone that they wanted the games to look like they’re an art project. That enforced face-value helps make it easier for new players to pick up, so that the truckload of mechanics in the games won’t scare off the newest cycle of their primary market. Second, our movement has been increased to 8-directional movement. Another nitpick, but I’m glad that this has been confirmed.

Good lord, we got a lot. Five Pokemon, two or three trailers and a bunch of other great stuff too!
Thank you ^_^
Whoa I wish I could write that much hahaha.

This gen is a huge step forward and will set a milestone in the franchise.

In gen 7 we'll have pokemon holograms.

Number of pokemon learning aerial ace by level up not flying: one (herracross)

Number of pokemon learning fury cutter by level up not bug: 14

Number of pokemon learning revenge by level up not fighting: 14

So the odds are quite a bit higher with aerial ace, I would say, though the pokebeach rumors have been true with everything else.
Talonflame used the same technique in one of todays trailers that Chespin used that started this discussion back in January. Between these three, it'd prolly be either Fury Cutter or Aerial Ace, but signs are pointing to the latter.

worst name ever lol. sounds like a name from one of those warriors books.

pssh. dude, you know just as well as i do that pokes can be in more than one region just as much as spiders aren't limited to just one place [to the chagrin of many people everywhere - not me, though! i really like spiders, ehehe... though i must say i would not appreciate a camel spider latching on my face]

and goddammit yveltal you live in kalos. why do you not know these things? or do you just like live under a rock and play video games with those freakishly large freddy kreuger hands of yours

[also where is your saucy french accent honhonhon]
Yes, but the reintroduction of Marill makes more sense than its availability in RSE(well, RSE had Azurill, so that's not a good example) because of its new retrofit type, I didn't mean to make you think that I thought that thinking that since Marill is from...now I'm hurting myself in confusion.

I don't even know my own type, of course I'm not going to know why we have Marills in my home region :P

[Hey man, don't get mad at me for not assimilating into frenchiness. I was made by Japanese gamers who only made me to look like an art project following the logic behind their statement about their inspiration. I'll try harder!]

On another note, Talonflame's Japanese name, Fiarrow, is gorgeous and I wish that they didn't localize it.

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'm saying for sure this move has to be aerial ace, judging by background color, use by a flying-type, and two distinct slashes. I'm also gonna go out on a limb because aerial ace is learned by level up almost exclusively by flying-types, and I believe (I BELIEVE) that this means Chespin will be part flying.

For the starters we should pay attention to the rumour about the final evolutions. They were right about what was confirmed so far so it should definitely not be ignored.

that blue crayfish thing is giving me pistol shrimp vibes
I had this same thought, which is why he is actually my favorite new reveal.

But I'm happy with all 3. Love the poison seaweed dragon, and the firebird is cool. I am a little disappointed with the name Talonflame, however.

My first thought on the new sky battle and moreso horde battles is...

a 1/5 chance for each of them to be shiny ??? could make shiny hunting way easier, but who knows how spammable horde battles would be.

Just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 9)