Would anyone be interested in a 12 vs 12 metagame?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's a cool idea, but I think it would take too long to have one match. Personally, I would be more likely to try out a 9v9 metagame.

I am afraid of this meta. Stall is scary enough now but giving even more ability to cover holes... egh, no thanks.

I might try 7, 8, maybe even 9. 12? eeeeeeh, only if there was some zany rule like no switching or something like that. That way it's not the world's longest poke war.

I think 8 would be a good number. That allows you to have a team of 6, plus two wild card slots to patch up holes, without lasting to long.

Sort of similar to this idea.. How would a match play out if you used all six at the same time in the exact same way as doubles? I also wondered why in-game you and the criminal syndicate limited yourselves to one Pokemon at a time(unlike in the anime). Why not use all 6? Lol

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
While that isn't possible on Pokemon Showdown, it WAS possible on Pokemon Lab (the last DPP simulator). I remember playing a few matches, and it was absolutely hilarious with Species Clause off. Five Aerodactyl and a Deoxys-S all spamming Rock Slide O_o

I've always thought that having 7 Pokemon teams would be a neat change to the games. 12 is a bit much, but having a smaller number like 7 (or maybe 8) would be a cool experiment. One complaint I hear often about BW OU is that there are just far too many viable threats for you to have a solid answer to all of them in just 6 teamslots. With an extra Pokemon or two, you have a much better chance of covering everything noteworthy. On the other hand, this could have an opposite effect, since offensive teams would now have extra sweepers or wall breakers to bust up defensive teams with. 12 vs 12 seems a little extreme, but having extra Pokemon slots would definitely be an interesting change that I would like to try out.

Yeah, I love the idea of slightly more Pokemon in a team. Because i just doesn't feel like 6 is enough nowadays with so many pokemon to cover. I personally feel 8 would great to add abit spice to a team, but shouldn't add an insane amount of turns . Say for example an Offensive team would love another sweeper or wallbreak, or add abit more backbone, or probably a Spinner, Magic bouncer or something then just like thats UU, or niche but then just don't have room. But as an added twist i like to see this with 5 moveslots. The extra moveslot would be so useful. coverage would be increased, but with two teamates so would synergy hopefully. I would like things like Hippowdon being able to have Whirlwind and Ice Fang without having to choose. Or just allowing Lucario another coverage move. I very much like this idea, if i do say so myself and would be very intersted in seeing this or some other idea implemented. I look forward to seeing more in this discussion.

Mizuhime

Did I mistake you for a sign from God?
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
stall vs stall, i can see me wanting to murder myself now, it could be very interesting though

A 12v12 metagame would be quite an experience. It seems that with that many Pokemon you could create a team with no weaknesses, at least not as we know them now. Combos and the use thereof would be critical to success in this setup. I could see this sort of game being very interesting and very fun.
I really love really long battles where there is more of a back and forth chance with the momentum in the battle. The best battles are when a player comes back from a deficit to win the match. That is just how I see it.
I think there would be more room for tactical thinking which would be a total plus to me.

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
A concern i have with this meta is that the increase in teambuilding difficulty will discourage a lot of people from making teams, which will limit it somewhat. Sounds like a fun metagame though hopefully
stall vs stall, i can see me wanting to murder myself now, it could be very interesting though
Both of these posts sum up my feelings entirely.

I do think it could be interesting, and I feel like it would garner a solid number of players. I, personally, would not want to play it; however, I would still encourage it.

7 Pokemon teams on the other hand... mmm.
My semi-stall team could really use a Celebi.

I love the idea and im now hoping we can get this thing done :D But in all seriousness, some changes would have to be made about the pokemon, like beat up weavile... or stall for like 300 turns. But this is just my opinion.

Stall would be everywhere and games would take forever. The reason stall is hard to use in the meta atm is it cannot cover all the threats. With 12 slots it would be easier to counter wall breakers such as np thunderus T and those other threats. I think I'm okay with how it is now.

For all the reasons mentioned before, 12 would be a bit too ridiculous in my opinion. 8 Pokémon teams sound optimum to me. Someone should put a poll up with various team sizes to see what the community most desires, though.

Can anyone give a reason why stall would not be utterly dominant and ridiculous in this meta? You can cover everything satisfactorily, usually multiple times over, and even uncommon pokes could be taken care of well enough. What in OU is uncounterable? Certainly everything is easy enough to check. The main thing that inhibits stall is not being able to fit in all its passive damage and counter everything in the metagame, so the more pokemon you get the better it does.

The community seems to prefer 8v8. Let's use that as our base line.

Edit: I doubt stall would be OP with only two more mons. Many pokemon in OU are at least theoretically incinerate: Hydreigon, for example. Personally, I think Bulky Offense would rise; synergy is a lot easier to make. But really, the only way we'll find out is through actually playing this metagame. Vote for 8v8 meta for the next month!

I would play in this metagame. I prefer to use sandstorm offense, but I can never seem to find the space for all of the pokemon I want to use. With 12v12, I would find enough room for all of the ones I want.

Tyranitar-Hippowodon-Stoutland-Sandslash-Lucario-Keldeo-Terrakion-Landorus-Dugtrio-Aerodactyl-Alakazam-Scizor. Those are all of the pokemon that I want to use.

SpartanMalice

Y'all jokers must be crazy
It actually makes balanced more viable. You can have at least four defensive pokes and you can put as much support moves into them as possible, as some pokes have spin and some have recovery but not both, and even two wallbreakers if one's down.

This looks interesting. but its hard enough to make 6vs6 teams teambuilding time would over double. i also see species clause removal as a possibility for this meta.

I'd say the proposed 8 v 8 metagame works. I'd probably at least take a look, if not play. My biggest concern is if this can be easily programmed into Showdown...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)