Favorite and least favorite course of Super Mario 64 ?

I really, really hate rainbow ride and its stupid 100 coin star. my favorite course is big boo's haunt because it has boos and a really frightening atmosphere

what about you?

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Tick Tock Clock is probably my favorite course. It pretty much says "fuck exploration", and goes into glorious pure platforming. Rainbow Ride is a close second to me for similar reasons. And though they probably don't count, I thought all the Bowser courses were pretty damn good. A sort of predecessor to the style of 3D Mario you find in the Galaxy games and 3D Land (I prefer Linear Mario to Open World Mario).

Dire Dire Docks is my least favorite, it's just a really boring water level with very little platforming. Similar deal with Jolly Roger Bay.

Also: X5Dragon, are you really talking about Super Mario 64, or are you talking about Mario Kart 64? Mixing up those two games sounds absurd to me...

Anything in the ghost carousel was super annoying

loved any water level but my favourite will be that ice level with the penguin slide

i haven't gotten too far into it yet [ if you ask how i haven't gotten too far in a game released 17 years ago, my best friend gave me his wii when he upgraded to wii u, and it had super mario 64 on it - i played some before ocarina of time because he was like YOU HAVE TO PLAY IT IT'S MY CHILDHOOD and i was like OKAY]

that said, my favourite so far is, honestly, bob-omb field. i like how green and pretty it looks, and those little bob-ombs are pretty cute and make amusing noises. king bob-omb has a design that made me chuckle when i first saw it, as well. mario controls a bit poorly in flight in sm64, i feel, but that's my only real complaint that wasn't just me being stupid. chain chomp = <3

but that ice level with the penguin slide is freaking awful omg how can you stand the slipperiness i live in canada and i swear to god ice is not that slippery

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Gonna give my favorite to Bob-omb Battlefield.

Yes, I know it's the first course, but Bob-omb Battlefield had a taste of everything that was Mario 64 (with the exception of water levels. Dear God water levels are awful.) It was an iconic real thrust into an iconic game, and it still holds up well.

Least Favorite? Dire Dire Docks. I can barely tolerate Water levels in Zelda when you actually get good water stuff like Iron Boots or Zora Link. Mario just doesn't do water well AT ALL.

Like others, Dire Dire Docks and the Ice levels were my least favorite. I can't stand ice levels at all in games period, and Mario has never been a good swimmer.

However, my favorite is Tick Tock Clock for sure. Like Theorymon, I loved the pure platforming it has and how the level would rotate depending on what hand the clock was on.

Fishy

tits McGee (๑˃̵ᴗ˂̵)
Hmmm. This is hard. I really like Shifting Sand Land and Lethal Lava Land because of their secondary maps - entering the volcano, the pyramid, etc. When I discovered each of those sections of those worlds it was immediately refreshing and awesome.

Whomp's Fortress is probably my least favorite, as it seems to be the least designed/creative map. The owl is cool, but once you get the owl you can basically use him to get the rest of the stars, and it's not as challenging. I enjoy getting all the red coins on that map though.

Tick Tock Clock is probably my favorite course. It pretty much says "fuck exploration", and goes into glorious pure platforming. Rainbow Ride is a close second to me for similar reasons.

Dire Dire Docks is my least favorite, it's just a really boring water level with very little platforming. Similar deal with Jolly Roger Bay.
Took the words right out of my mouth.

zorbees

Chwa for no reason!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
rainbow ride will always be my favorite, however i'm also partial to tiny huge island.

least favorite would probably be the hazy maze cave, but i also don't like the water levels.

Tick Tock Clock is probably my favorite course. It pretty much says "fuck exploration", and goes into glorious pure platforming. Rainbow Ride is a close second to me for similar reasons. And though they probably don't count, I thought all the Bowser courses were pretty damn good. A sort of predecessor to the style of 3D Mario you find in the Galaxy games and 3D Land (I prefer Linear Mario to Open World Mario).

Exactly this.

Also, relevant Fresh Prince:
[youtube]YP8Gvij1MQ4[/youtube]

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
UGH DIRE DIRE DOCKS KJWHRLKGJHRKGH

I echo the sentiments of the Bowser levels, those were always challenging yet very enjoyable. Another favorite of mine was Tall, Tall Mountain, I loved the hidden slide. I also enjoyed Wet, Dry World, and Tick Tock Clock was just a masterpiece.

blitzlefan

shake it off!
I actually didn't like Tick Tock Clock that much. It was a really cool concept, but the platforming was really really exasperating at times. Mess up and down down down you go. The ice levels were a pain in the butt too.

For some reason though, I really liked Lethal Lava Land. Perhaps it was the colors or just the fact that lava was a really cool thing. The water levels could be frustrating at times, but the music was beautiful.

Jorgen

World's Strongest Fairy
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Honestly, I wasn't a big fan of Lava Land, if only for aesthetic reasons. It's like a level designer was watching his kids play "the floor is lava" and just designed a level based on the placement of things on the floor.

Entering the volcano was pretty sweet, though.

Any level with a koopa shell.
This this this. I don't know how much time I spent on that beach going in circles (what was it? Tiny-Huge Island?) because I'd always lose it as soon as I got on that little green hill.

I loved Shifting Sand Lands, hated Hazy Mazy Cave though. No wonder it took me so long to find the Metal Cap.

Death Phenomeno

I'm polite so just for clarity, when I'm cross I
is a Contributor Alumnus
For me, the best ones are the Bowser levels and the Ice levels. I also used to use the snowman to get rid of Mario's hat as a challenge.

On the other hand, I could barely stand the water levels. All of them. The only reason I went in them is because I wanted all the stars for 100% completion.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
Wet Dry World is fun but its a flawed level since you could remove the water and still get every star.

Dire dire docks is the worst.

Coming from an SM64 speedrunner

My favorites would definitely have to be the two ice levels. It's weird, normally I hate ice in platformers, but here it's actually done really really well.

Least favorite is easily Lethal Lava Land. If you're wondering why, I am a rabid completionist. I try to get every coin on every level, since there is a hard maximum for each. Just try to get a maximum coin score on that level, I'll wait.

There's a single coin at the top of the volcano sector involving punching the horned bomb from the very top of the volcano down to the very bottom then leaping after it with just the right timing, landing in lava, and then making it back to a tiny platform while you're flailing about from the lava with the horrendous on-fire controls that do not mix well with a tiny platform.

In any other level, you would go after such a murderously hard coin right the hell away, so that if you fail to get it, it isn't going to cost you around 10 minutes of work. In Lethal Lava Land, you cannot do that, since it's in the volcano, which you cannot return from after entering.

Oh, and the beginning part, before you go after that one coin, is far from easy itself, because guess what, coins vanish when they touch lava. You need to take the shell at the start, and if you take a single hit, just kill Mario in the lava, it's faster than resetting. But you'll probably want to deal with that box that you have to grab first, it drops 5 coins into an area that gets flooded with lava periodically, so you have to angle it exactly right. Not to mention all of the horned bomb enemies on the surface side, who just love to have their coins go off in a direction you didn't expect and force a reset. It is just entirely too easy to make a simple mistake here, and the level will not show the slightest hint of mercy.

I liked the boo mansion level that had the piano w/ the teeth, and the metal mario levels were neat too.

Pretty much screw swimming controls in any Mario game.

Brambane

protect the wetlands
is a Contributor Alumnus
My favorite is Whomp's Fortress. Although that fucking "Shoot into the Wild Blue" star will forever be the death of me.

I dislike Tall, Tall Mountain and Dire, Dire Docks.

Lethal Lava land and any of the ice levels were my favorite. I guess because of the scenery and music in those. I hate Wet, Dry land because it was just really annoying to go through the first time. I had no sense of direction in that place.

Ampharos

tag walls, punch fascists
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I have an irrational hatred of Tiny Huge Island that defies all attempts at explanation.

On the other hand, Tall Tall Mountain is just awesome.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)